RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
The OFFICIAL "Which maker do you use?" And General RM Discussion Topic.

Poll

Which development platform do you prefer?

RPG Maker 95
0 (0%)
RPG Maker 2000
15 (4.2%)
RPG Maker 2003
61 (17.2%)
RPG Maker XP
173 (48.7%)
Gamemaker
15 (4.2%)
Sphere
1 (0.3%)
Other (Please specify)
13 (3.7%)
Dwarra
10 (2.8%)
RPG Maker sucks
2 (0.6%)
RPG Maker VX
60 (16.9%)
RPG Maker VX Ace
4 (1.1%)
Stencyl
1 (0.3%)

Total Members Voted: 301

Rep:
Level 85
Real Men Make Fan Games
Project of the Month winner for May 2009
2k3 is my poison of choice. I'm more comfortable working with graphics of lower resolution, and the sheer number of resources for 2k/3 helps a guy like me who is pretty good at utilizing art, but not making it himself.

pokeball :)OfflineMale
Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
RPG Maker VX added to poll, vote per person changed to 2 since many use and prefer XP and VX the same.
Watch out for: HaloOfTheSun

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for December 2009Project of the Month winner for August 20082011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
<3 scripting for VX, it's so much easier and better organized
I just wish the Database and Mapping didn't put me off so much, or I might actually use it.

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

Shadow Knight
Rep:
Level 91
Ruin that brick wall!
Project of the Month winner for October 2008
<3 scripting for VX, it's so much easier and better organized
I just wish the Database and Mapping didn't put me off so much, or I might actually use it.
I'll have to agree on that, despite my incompetence in RGSS2 still.
Be kind, everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

Rep:
Level 84
This is my most active account.
the thing with VX that makes it suck is the battle system.  :(
I don't know why Enterbrain decided to make it frontal again...
It's all back to RM1999. >.<

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
2014 Funniest MemberParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 92011 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)
there's an RM1999?

Walking Billboard
Rep:
Level 87
there was in 1999.

People keep quiet about it these days.

No doubt we'll all have sort of FBI tracking/"expulsion" on our asses soon.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for December 2009Project of the Month winner for August 20082011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
there's an RM1999?

there were
RM'95, 2k, 2k3, XP, and VX, to my knowledge.
VX is a throwback to 2k imho

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
2014 Funniest MemberParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 92011 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)
VX is a throwback to 95 more like. right down to the sprite style and mapping layout.

Walking Billboard
Rep:
Level 87
agreed -_-;

Rep: +0/-0Level 84
I tried to get into XP/VX, but I'm good enough to work the RGSS (even though I know I don't need to use it.)

I like using RM2K3 for that old-school kind of look, plus that's what I've been used to.

I'll probably upgrade after I learn the scripting process.

Rep:
Level 84
puking up frothing vitriolic sarcastic spittle
I use RM2K. The battle system keeps things simple in terms of resources, especially when trying to create original characters (no need to get someone to draw them out for you like RMXP or to produce loads of sprites for the battle system like RM2K3). I'm pretty damn good at eventing using the RM2K systems, so much so that RMXP annoys me when I notice certain eventing options are missing because it's assumed you will code them. Also, I don't have to worry about people whining because I don't want to spend ~£30 on the Maker when I won't even get a hard-copy of it (I refuse to by any software that does not come with a hard-copy). And about a thousand other reasons.

Walking Billboard
Rep:
Level 87
I tried to get into XP/VX, but I'm good enough to work the RGSS (even though I know I don't need to use it.)

I like using RM2K3 for that old-school kind of look, plus that's what I've been used to.

I'll probably upgrade after I learn the scripting process.

remember the colouring rules, Bok ;o;

Spoiler for:
I was kidding about the purple thing, but really, please refrain from typing in green  :tpg:

Rep:
Level 84
I'd like to vote for the RPG2k 'coz that's my 1st stuff I've used for 4 years... but RPG XP is now a blast!
-Arus Jeim-

Deep Dungeon: Hero of the Trine Seal
                  12% Completion

Rep: +0/-0Level 84
I like chocolate :P
I <3 XP.  When my free trial expired, I was really pretty sad.  I tried a trial of VX, but because the graphics were so bad, and there were very few graphics to use, I didn't even try it.  I used to try to use Game Maker, but it was constantly having stupid problems and I couldn't really get it to do anything, so now I just use it to edit some sprites. 

Rep: +0/-0Level 85
i chose, RMXP and RM2k3. RMXP because it has great graphics, and you can do almost everything with easy made scripts. RM2k3 because it has an easy interface, and alot of option.

Rep: +0/-0Level 85
I work with RMXP and RM2k3. RMXP since it's got scripts and excellent music and graphics, and RM2k3 since it's got the world map tileset (a cheesy reason, but I'm serious :P), it's got an easy interface and it seems like it's easier to program complicated things with it. I also use Game Maker to test out my skills. But I never release anything made with GM. I tried, believe me, it was a sight to be horrified by.

kikiki
Rep:
Level 84
Hi
I use Rm2k(Warrior Dee's RPG) and I am starting to use RMXP since it's legal and more flexible than rm2k.
Hi

Rep:
Level 82
I am that I am.
I prefer 2k3, I don't use 2k at all any more. To make a food comparison 2k3 is a quarterpounder while 2k is just a hamburger, NO CHEESE! I LIKE CHEESE!

I'm impressed with XP's flexibility but lack the time or motivation to explore it properly lol. Maybe I'll get onto it, I'm hearing some cool stuff about it. I'll just have to script that damned battle system, I hate the first person view thing.
As a dog returns to his vomit so too does a fool to his folly.

Rep:
Level 82
I still maintain that RM2K3 is the best one (for me), though I'm using RMVX a lot more now over RMXP, mainly for the additional stuff in RGSS2, although I'm not that good at scripting...yet! I will often go back to RMXP just for the versatility of resources etc.
Current Projects:
* Ars Mechanicum 1: Genesis (RMVX)
* The Gladiator Project (RMXP)

Rep:
Level 81
it's time to poke
I prefer XP and VX. As far as the RTP goes, XP comes with the best stuff, but VX has the potential for greater utility.

herp derp
Rep:
Level 81
Newclear Bomb
I use RMXP basically because its the first RPG Maker i ever heard of and after I got into RPG Maker and looked at older 2k3 and 2k games, I did not like the graphics at all. Im usually not a graphics guy but they just looked wierd to me

Rep:
Level 76
<3 XP
I've tried 2k and 2k3 and honestly I can't get past the graphics. What would you rather do? Make a good game with crap graphics OR make a good game with good graphics? Pretty self explanatory IMO.

I used to use GM6-7lite and I loved it I made a bunch of really simple games and stuff, GM was my gateway drug to RMXP I love RMXP a ton.

Nowadays I rarely use GM6-7lite, BUT I still use GM8Lite for a really pretty simple yet effective "art program" Works very well for resizing stuff also.

And that's what I've got to say about that whole uh thing.

EDIT: Wow, oops. That  was quite the rez... Sorry :(

Completion: ██████████40%
Demo: ██████████70%

Rep:
Level 84
Will you join me in the dark side...?
well, i like the rm2003 graphics ;)

but i like the XP engine to use, i prefer it from VX, even if the VX its the newer! ;)
My Puzzle/StandAlone game in a week:

Rep:
Level 76
<3 XP
I've tried VX I just like XP much more it all seems better and more realistic in a way.

Completion: ██████████40%
Demo: ██████████70%