RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[2k3] Touhou Fantasy

Touhou Fantasy Developer and all around cool person. :)
Rep:
Level 85
T.G. "Thunder God" Xenomic

I think someone is a bit confused here...

Rep:
Level 85
First review: http://rpgmaker.net/games/3758/reviews/1826/

Yeah...not exactly what I expected either...

Rep:
Level 77
RMRK Junior
Just out of curiosity, are you using the Touhou menu sound effects?

Rep:
Level 85
I am not. For menu, it comes from FFVII (both the confirm and cancel SEs). From Touhou, it's generally used from Power Extend, 1-Up, various bullet SEs from the shmups and fighting games. That's about it. It wouldn't SOUND right to me if they didn't have the SEs if you ask me.

Rep:
Level 85

Oh look! We have a guest spell from Valkyrie Profile! Not the same graphics of course....cuz that's not possible to do. Also, one of your party members CAN use this later, but I'm not saying who! (Not that it's hard to figure out).

In other news, I am making a big request. Yes, a request. You see that link up there and that review? Well, I am asking for everyone's opinions on the game thus far, and if they would be willing to do a review for the game as well (you'd have to sign up to the site to give a review though). This is to help me with fixing anything that needs fixed (aside from those that I already KNOW that needs fixed), as well as possibly getting suggestions and ideas about what to do with fixing things up and such. Due to that review, I have been trying to think of how to redesign the beta1 dungeons (note, there's only 5 dungeons in beta1, those being: Misty Lake, Forest of Magic, Scarlet Devil Mansion, Bamboo Forest of the Lost, and Eientei). Of those, Misty Lake is the only one to have been upgraded and revamped...the others still need fixed up SOMEHOW. I haven't the foggiest of how to do so, since I'd LIKE to keep the gimmicks used in them too...

So yeah, reviews from anyone who has played the game fully and/or at least some would be nice. Same for suggestions and whatnot! I hope to hear from some of you guys on this matter ;_;

Rep:
Level 85
So, now I'm wondering what everyone has to say on this. Now...I've been working with RPG Maker 2k3 for 3 1/2 years now. Keep this in mind, that I've been working pretty much every day for most of these (except for my big breaks between, which lasts somewhere between 3-6 months sometimes). Now, would it be wise to switch over to XP or VX, just because some people don't like the graphics at all of 2k3, when you've been working on a game for 3 1/2 years in another maker that you cannot port over (I'm pretty sure you can't just port them over anyways).

The reason I ask is because I am seriously considering whether or not I should keep working on my own game at this point in time. Maybe it has something to do with this argument I've been having over someplace else, and well...I'm not sure right now on what to do. I'd rather not have to spend 3 1/2 more years learning another maker and redoing everything I've done (if not longer) because of some people not liking the game (I've been trying to work on improving it for the past year now, trying to make it more enjoyable and fun for the player. There's still quite a few things to do, but I've been trying : / ). I honestly don't know...so I need opinions from you guys : /

And be serious...how many of you are actually enjoying the game? Anyone at all? : /

Rep:
Level 77
RMRK Junior
The main problems appear to be the rather limited experience and physical attack formulas and your mapping skills. Does RM2K3 have Autotiles or anything similar? Using the Minecraft Beta as a comparison, exactly how far do you think you are? 1.4? 1.6.5(Which was around the time I got MC)?

Rep:
Level 85
It does I think? Not sure. The game itself is beta4. As for how far is beta4 close to being fleshed out? It's hard telling. The version updates are essentially what tips off to the version type, so it'd be 1.091 right now I guess.

Rep:
Level 85
I will share with you all...something that I haven't shared with.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2A340BD36DA6C2FB

Yes, that is the playlist for Touhou Fantasy. And yes, it actually dates back to the original beta1, where it all began. I figured now is as good as any time to share this...

Rep:
Level 85
Since I've thought about it, I guess I'll share my story. Might not be as exciting, but if it offers any insight into how I've thought when making the game...

Out of the makers, I started with 2k3 since it was the one I was most familiar with (I had brief experience with RPG Maker 2k years before I started this game, and I worked with RPG Maker on Playstation. That was terrible working 1 1/2 years on a rather piss-poor game but anyways...). After choosing to go with that, I decided on the number of characters I was going to have. I originally had roughly 12-15 characters, which is if you think about it, how many were in FFVI. After setting up the characters, I took a look at skills and decided what skills each character would have, and what they would do. I tried to balance it out where each character would be unique from one another, though this didn't exactly work out as planned (this was using the Level Up system for learning skills). This I'll get into later.

After setting up skills, I decided on inventory and what was going to be used. I had a set inventory set up, for items, statuses that I (originally) had, equipment, etc. Once I got that done, I attempted my first world map (which you can see in my latest blog link in my playlist) and my first few maps, which were terrible but I didn't change them much until later on, since I just wanted a base foundation. Once I set up EACH specific map, I put in the events that I was going to have playing (so for the world map, after making it I set up the starting game event, then with the first map I made after that, the next event, and so on and so forth). I continued this pretty much up through beta2 (changing graphics for the system menus and such, figuring out which ATB bar I wanted to use, portraits, etc.). This was all while I didn't know that much about making abilities and such.

Once beta2 rolled around, I started dabbling into battle animations more since I wasn't happy with the tiny sizes of the default battle sprites, so I learned how to handle that, and then started giving animations to my various skills and such (some of which still need fixed up, but 2k3 can only do so much of course). I also changed various portraits and rebalanced skills and enemies a bit, continued on with everything else, and I think around this time is where I started learning how to do things such as set up Gravity spells and new statuses and other neato things.

Once beta3 rolled around, I started reanalyzing my skill system, and finding it too bland and dull, I decided to go with learning skills via skill books. That took a couple months to implement, but I got that done and was pleased with how it worked. This was also around the time I started to implement more characters into the story than I originally had, as I had events that couldn't be told with the current party members (hence the huge huge cast of characters now. Going from roughly 15-20 characters to 50 characters is a huge jump, but it's all necessary to tell the story). I rebalanced skills and characters to make them even more unique (which I believe I've done a good job on so far), added new animations and equipment and items, as well as a few new statuses to keep the gameplay fresh and add some more strategy. Around this time I learned how to code special abilities such as Steal and Scan, which I was happy to learn as it gave more flavor to the game rather than Attack/Spam Skills/Item, and gave each character more of a uniqueness in battle. Around this time I think my mapping skills started to really start getting better (not to say that they weren't getting better from beta2. Still think Youkai Mountain is the pinnacle of my work so far).

Beta4, which originally was released LAST APRIL, after many bug fixes due to new abilities such as a Sprint Shoes type ability, enemy rebalancing, character rebalancing, completely removing the inventory and starting fresh, rebalancing equipment, character stats, etc., I learned even MORE about some coding such as +% equipment, looping maps (believe it or not, I never messed with looping maps until then), and just overall balancing the game more.

In September, I started doing a fleshed out patch for beta4, dubbed Beta4 version 2.0, in which I was going to add in a crafting system and crafting items (several crafting items could actually be used as spell items in battle, or equipped, so they weren't all useless as they tend to be in games) which took a couple months to set up, and iron out even more bugs, with more rebalancing. However, throughout all of these betas, I never really went back to fix any mapping in earlier betas (the only map I ever tried to fix was Scarlet Devil Mansion, and that was attempted 4 separate times. None of them I liked, and I may be revamping it a 5th time...). This continued until December.

As of February, the current Beta4 version 3.0, I have been working primarily in the database to iron out more bugs, set up even more abilities for characters to diversify them more and give more strategic value to battles, added a couple new elements, and have been adding a crapton of new animations for abilities (several of which will need to be redone since they're not that good admittedly). The current plans are to also fix up the physical damage formula since I did not know all of the formulas for a long time (I read about it a few months ago actually), so that the Attack command is actually viable, fixing up EXP somehow to be useful which has been really hard to do, as well as remapping the problematic beta1 maps which most people have been having issues with.

Also, lots of music added in throughout all of the betas. This was to give each battle and area a sense of individuality without reusing the same theme (though several themes are reused quite often). This also extended to each of the full-time playable and optional characters having a different battle theme (originally, there were specific points in the game where the battle theme would change, akin to Tales of the Abyss).

All of this started due to me wanting to share a story I had in mind. Yes, I intended to show the story through the game, but I never wanted to forsake the gameplay to make it unfun or whatnot. I have been trying to balance it for the 3 1/2 years I have been working on it to be enjoyable and playable. It's just the starting part of the game probably gives the wrong impression because it's so outdated compared to the rest of the game in terms of mapping. That, and I may need to reanalyze balancing enemies again or something...

Wow, that is the longest post I have ever made...x_x;;

Breakin' your HTML
Rep:
Level 74
Kurosuhato Rokkuriba (Crossed Heart, Rock River)
This sounds like it took you quite a while to figure the full potential of RPG Maker 2003 and you've experienced it longer than I had... But I guess I can give you a little bit of help...

Mapmaker
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSMB5bA732w

You must use RPG Maker 2003 not 2009... Draw a base, Then use the select all feature go to the program and the map size has to be multiple of X = 20 Y = 15 to bring the map to life... Watch the video carefully then you will know how simple map making is...

The Thread where I found it: http://rmrk.net/index.php?topic=31420.0

http://rpgmaker.net/users/778/locker/rmtext.zip

I sometimes find out you have text space trouble for the faces... So RMText will help you out... Process File: If you have a small notepad file with a script [without pressing enter for each line] It does it for you whenever you select [With Face or Without Face]

http://uglyhorst.de/rPG%20Maker/tools/imagepositioner.zip

If you're considering on creating a CMS [Custom Menu System] Then Image Position is the perfect program ranging 2K3, XP and VX.

http://rpgmaker.net/engines/rm2k3/utilities/6/

I remember you wanted to place stat limits to 255 so RM Limit Changer will help you with that...

There may be more I can help you with but not very directly though...
We were all newbies at first (Low Level), Then we suffer, We became greater as we fought (Mid Level) and now then we stare in the face of the end of the world! (High Level)

Rep:
Level 85
You know...what I think I'll do is just do a video for all of the animations and stuff instead of posting screenshots after screenshots. Yes yes, I haven't changed anything. Graphics aren't the biggest thing to worry about right now anyways...just fixing up bugs, maps, gameplay balance, etc. is enough as it is. I should have that video done sometime this week or next, depending on when I get around to it.

Rep:
Level 85
Version 1.092 (Uses old Physical attack formula): http://www.mediafire.com/?j4ox3vqd50qcacp

What's new:

*Fixes fatal bug at Mayohiga due to Reimu never being added to the party, thus never being able to do anything. Also auto-revives everyone after boss fight in case that caused Game Overs.
*More done with Weapon Bless coding. Youmu is nearing 100% with this finally.
*Speed bug at Youkai Mountain fixed from Tenshi boss fight. This does not fix the speed for if it already occurred though.

Rep:
Level 85
***SPOILERS FOR STORY PERHAPS?!***

Spoiler for:
Ah yes, to clear up some things with the story, since some people think it's as clear-cut as it is...it really isn't. I'm pretty sure that everyone who's played through it some thinks that the final boss is going to be either Rinnosuke or Pandora or something to that extent, but that is only half true...in the bad ending they are. NOT in the actual ending. I'm not going to spoil who the final boss is, but it's someone you might expect if you go through the story.

You get everything thrown at you at the start of the game for a reason...as I've stated before, it's for the game to clear things up and make things more clear-cut (and keep in mind, not everything is as sorted out as we'd like to be. Sometimes things can get as confusing and convuluted (sp?) as what's going on here. Not everything WILL be explained in the current beta, but a lot of things WILL be explained during beta5, so keep this in mind.

There's actually a few hints as to who the big bad villain is in the actual game, but this doesn't show up until around beta4. So if you're playing through the game and are wondering who it may be, pay attention to the dialogue and such in there.

Remember, what you see may not necessarily be what's true~

In other news, I have yet to start recording the battle animations since that's going to take quite a while to do, and I have no idea if the video will desync on me like holy hell since this computer has issues. I'll get to it eventually though...

I am curious though as to what people are "expecting" how the game is going to go though. Do let me know so I can see what you think and maybe even discuss the story a bit. After all, I do consider storytelling one of my better traits (as opposed to say my shitty mapping abilities). ^^;

Rep:
Level 85
So I'm currently stuck at the moment again with Weapon Bless...I have NO idea what's causing the problem. Spend 1 1/2 months working on it, and get Youmu done, only to find out that for some reason, something doesn't work right. And it doesn't make sense because the way it's coded, it shouldn't be doing what it's doing.

Examples of what's going on:

A) Youmu is equipped with the Hakurouken and Roukaken. I have Patchouli use Fire on her to give her weapons Fire and change them to the Fire versions. I attack to make sure the graphics are right, and then run away and check inventory. The weapons are equipped properly and the elemental blessed weapons are removed properly.

B) I tested with Hakurouken and Oathkeeper. I repeat using Fire and escaping, but find out it equipped 2 Oathkeepers instead (this happens with other things, such as equipping an Oathkeeper and Phantasmagoria, but it seems to randomize which you get 2 copies of equipped). The elemental blessed weapons are removed correctly...so the only error is it equips 2 of the same weapon.

C) THIS one makes no sense. I ONLY equip Youmu with the Oathkeeper. I cast Fire on her and have her attack, and noticed that it attacked twice when it's supposed to only attack once (she only has one weapon anyways). Run and check equipment, and she has 2 Oathkeepers equipped for some reason.

There's nothing in there that states to equip 2 of the same weapons (for instance, if Oathkeeper and Oblivion are equipped, by using Fire, it would unequip those weapons, then equip the Fire Oathkeeper and Fire Oblivion. Once the status is gone, it would revert it by unequipping, removing the Fire blessed weapons, and equipping the normal versions). So yeah...no idea what's wrong. I COULD toss the coding at anyone who wants to take a crack at it, if you know how RPG Maker 2k3 works that is. I'm just baffled at this...and would like to figure it out so I can fix it and then move on with the goddamn game >_<

Rep:
Level 85
Version 1.093 Patch: http://www.mediafire.com/?up3xp38g5scr1at

*For those who were annoyed at having lower level characters join your higher-leveled party, no fear! Now there's an average party level system in place! It takes the average of ALL of the currently usable characters and checks it against the new party member that's joining. If that character's level is lower than the average, then their levels will be adjusted to that average!
*Some map tweaks here and there.
*Weapon Bless fully done for Youmu. The flipside is it's still bugged and I don't know why it's bugged, so again, please avoid using any Weapon Bless skills on any dual-wielding character.

Feel free to leave feedback on the game and ideas/criticisms~

Rep:
Level 85
For those curious, these are where I'm using some of the resources I am for enemy sprites and overworld sprites:

http://www5f.biglobe.ne.jp/~kanri01/rounk/dotto.html (This was the most recent site I found, and where I'm using some sprites such as the new Mystia sprite for her upgraded summon. Not all of these would work though for say, bosses or whatnot I think...though there's some rather nice stuff there)

http://dispell.net/ (Where I originally got all of the overworld sprites from. It was another site originally before it moved here...had it not been for a friend of mine who gave me this site, I wouldn't have even started this game at all @_@;; ).

http://charas-project.net/resources.php  (THIS right here is where I got several of my battle animations and whatnot).

http://www.spriters-resource.com/  (And of course, there's this site where even more things came from, such as all of the Golden Sun 2 graphics that nobody likes because I make a lot of things 200-500% larger than they would be normally).

So yeah, those are the main ones. I also get some things from Pixiv, but that's usually just for enemy/overworld sprites and not for battle animations. Thought I'd share that...

Rep:
Level 77
RMRK Junior
http://www5f.biglobe.ne.jp/~kanri01/rounk/dotto.html
Unfortunately they're all gifs. I... don't really have anything that supports editing them...

Rep:
Level 85
Can always open them with something like Photoshop, Paint, GIMP, etc. then save them as PNG after you're done. That's how several of what I'm using in this game used to be were GIFs.

Rep:
Level 85
Well, after about 6-7 months of working on Weapon Bless, I can say for certain that it's about over with. Thanks to Killer Wolf from RPGMaker.net, the issue with the skillset and dual-wielders has been solved! So all I need to do is set up the coding for Meiling, Sakuya, and Remilia, and it'll be done! Hopefully by the time I get the coding done for those 3, my mapper will have had gotten the Hollowed Caverns maps done, of which I can put in the storyline and events in there, and then well...guess I might start the beta5 dungeons after that! Which means once he gets the maps done and I'm done with Weapon Bless, beta5 will be ready to begin!

Unless of course, there's other bugs and things to have taken care of. Which there probably will be but ehhhh.

Rep:
Level 85
And now some questions that I need answered badly. Yes, these are all for the database, so yes, I'll still be working in the database before moving along with the story. Getting the database done now as much as I can will save me a lot of time and effort later, especially if more gets added in for abilities and such.

1) Should Yuuka and Yumemi have their currently dummied out secondary command abilities at all? For Yumemi, it is the Gadgeteer command skillset, which consists of abilities that have a 50/50 chance of either affecting your party or the enemy party. For Yuuka, it is the Threaten command which, depending on Yuuka's level and the enemy's "level", if it works will force the enemy to leave the battle, and would earn the party immediately half of that monster's EXP/Yen (or none, I haven't decided), but greatly increases (up to 50%) the chance of getting the enemy's item drop right on the spot.

2) How many Blue Magic spells should Koishi have? Currently she has around 60 I think, but I've been thinking about 25-30. Though I am not sure on this myself still.

3) Overworld field abilities...such as Sakuya's Overworld Speed Boost passive. Right now, Patchouli's is dummied out (MP Stroll), which would regain 1 MP per step to the party...however, I am thinking that this should be dependent on Patchouli's level as suggested (for instance, when you first get her, it'd be +1 MP restored for every 20 steps or something, then the higher the level she is, the less amount of steps you'd have to take). Is this a good idea, or should it stay dummied out or given to a piece of equipment?

4) Speaking of overworld field abilities, is there any in particular that you guys think would benefit the game? I think I listed these somewhere in the older thread, but I cannot recall. For instance, I don't have it coded in or anything, but Marisa would have the Skeleton Key passive, which would allow her to open up locked doors and chests that do not require a special key or switch, as long as she's in the party (initially, it was going to be as long as she's the leading sprite but that's complicated to pull off...).

There'll probably be other questions later, but I'd like to get these answered now since well...getting them taken care of now would be of great assistance. If I need to, I can again list the character abilities and the ideas for their overworld abilities and such, if it'll help ya'll help me out @_@;;

Rep:
Level 77
RMRK Junior
1. Threaten sounds cool. Go with that.
2. I'd say, if it had to be 25-30, then 27.
3&4. I wish more people here at RMRK were interested in this...

Rep:
Level 85

You may be wondering, what is this sheet? Well, curious one! Allow old man Xeno to explain!

The top row depicts the sprites that are currently being used in the game. Now, the other sprites are all new ones I found over on Pixiv (the Fairy Maid there is not done by the same one that did all of the other fairies). So what's the point of this? Well, I'm deciding whether or not I should update the current sprites to these sprites at all. That's all really~

For those curious, in the top row, the 1st, 3rd, and 4th fairies all come from Megamari, while the 2nd fairy comes from New Super Marisa Land. The Sunflower Fairy comes from Mystical Chain.

I might show the enemy sprites just to see if anyone likes them, and if nobody can't get better ones for me to use too.

Breakin' your HTML
Rep:
Level 74
Kurosuhato Rokkuriba (Crossed Heart, Rock River)
Xenomic... How far have you progressed towards Touhou Fantasy...?

What help do you need now? I gave you a custom version of Advent Cirno and I gave you a rough version of sprites of Pandora's Fragments... So what help do you need? List a couple of things you need help with and I'll see if I can oblige...
We were all newbies at first (Low Level), Then we suffer, We became greater as we fought (Mid Level) and now then we stare in the face of the end of the world! (High Level)

Rep:
Level 85
Still working in the database. Story hasn't moved an inch since beta4 was released, so it's still at Pandaemonium.

Well, things that still need to be done:

1) In-battle sprites for Youki and Hope (still need in-battle sprites for Advent Cirno that's Soku-styled and not KoF style like I have right now).
2) Battle animations for the remaining 200 attacks.
3) Setting up and deciding the remaining secondary command abilities for characters who do not have it (i.e. Yuuka's Threaten, whether or not Yumemi will have Tinker, etc.).
4) Setting up and deciding overworld abilities (i.e. Sakuya's Overworld Running Speed bonus) for characters.
5) Fixing up synthesis shop so it's more useful and not completely useless at the moment. This may involve me making a crafting shop where you can buy up to level 3 crafting materials.
6) Fixing up maps and having them with better gimmicks and/or ideas (i.e. changing the remaining beta1 dungeons to better mapping and/or puzzles, which include SDM, Forest of Magic, Bamboo Forest, and Eientei).
7) Moving on with the blasted storyline!
8) Rebalancing enemies and making the Attack command more useful.
9) Ironing out any remaining bugs that remain in beta4.
10) Deciding whether or not to keep what music is in the game, or removing some music to make the download size much lower.

That's actually quite a lot now that I think about it @_@;