RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Screenshot Thread

Rep:
Level 84
---> LOL <---
Oh god your floors. The tiles are all inconsistent also your pillars for the bottom part, should be one, not two. your railings are miss matching. they need to go right up the the wall, also add shadow there to give it depth. fix your floor tiles. add more tables, even people (static people) your floors need to go right to the edge, your top pillar part doesn't line up properly with the wall and should rise higher then the railings. in other words this is all thats wrong with it:

everything in red is an error.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 03:06:11 AM by Adrien »

my name is Timothy what's yours
Rep:
Level 79
Hello
2014 Zero to Hero2014 Best IRC Quote2014 Most Missed Member2012 Zero To HeroSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantContestant - GIAW 9For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Zero to Hero
Oh god your floors. The tiles are all inconsistant
Jeez, guys. Why do people not like Adrien?
it's like a metaphor or something i don't know

Rep:
Level 84
---> LOL <---
There are probably more error, these are the one I could find, your chandelier was circled cause you need to lower its opacity, you also need to add light sources, top layer, and shadows, top layer.

Rep:
Level 84
I will battle this:

With this:
My first attempt at parallax mapping.

Lay off. Yeah, you're helpful at pointing out flaws, which is, in a way, what I'm assuming was wanted so that errors can be fixed and skill can improve. But be constructive in your criticism, not just a jerk.

As for what I have to say about the map: Not bad. There are a lot of flaws, but hey, it's your first parallax. Way better than anything I could do parallax-wise.

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
2014 Best RPG Maker User - StoryProject of the Year 20142014 Queen of RMRK2011 Best Newbie2014 Best RPG Maker User - Creativity2014 Kindest Member2013 Queen of RMRKBronze SS AuthorBronze Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.GOOD!For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best Yuyubabe Smiley2012 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity);o
Jeez, guys. Why do people not like Adrien?

I don't know man. I still can't figure it out. This is one helluva mystery.

On a more important, less drama-filled note:
I really like your map, Todd. My parallax maps sucked when I first started and yours is damn good for a first time. To me, the walls should be a bit more busy, but you've got great potential. :D
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 04:18:26 AM by yuyubabe »
Spoiler for My Games and Art:
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

The Lhuvia Tales [Current]

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Phoenix Wright: Haunted Turnabout [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

Crew Slut
Rep:
Level 93
You'll love it!
For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki
rawr

The back half of the top house is weird. The peaks of the protruding wings should be level with that back, and no it's not a stylistic choice, because the difference is a mere few pixels. The back should also extend to both ends of the house horizontally. Maybe the latter is a result of your tileset, but it's a bit incongruous yes? It really diminishes the perceived depth.

And the bottom house: Is it accessible? Even so, it makes little sense for a house's chief entrance to be partially blocked as you have it. The path along the right of it should be clear, because it breaks the suspense of disbelief; why would someone obstruct the only visible/marked entrance to his or her house with a barrel that would force visitors to walk dangerously/stupidly/unrealistically close to a shear cliff?

Now, aesthetics are one thing, but they need to be consistent. The chimney on the lower house's roof is being overgrown, or something, and yet no visible sign of growth occurs on any other part of that house.  That pipe running over the house is also ridiculous. Pipes don't run above the roof. It should be completely unexposed and importantly out of nature's way.

The two planters in the clearing behind the bench at the top house is also bizarre. You should keep them all equilateral, or use a single planter for the entire space. Humans rarely use such geometrically inconsistent materials and objects when the house itself conforms to symmetry.

Maybe most importantly, the furnace adjacent the tree is also unacceptable. The roots of a tree that large would wreck the plumbing! Man that's just not good. Think of the mud-ridden shower water. Think of the children.

The crepuscular rays you have on the top layer also look like shit.

Rep:
Level 71
Thanks! Glad to hear it wasn't that bad, as for Adrien I appreciate your feedback and taking the time to point out the errors with it even though you were a bit of a Jerk about it. Though I have faith you may be able to change like Pacman.

Rep:
Level 84
---> LOL <---
Thanks! Glad to hear it wasn't that bad, as for Adrien I appreciate your feedback and taking the time to point out the errors with it even though you were a bit of a Jerk about it. Though I have faith you may be able to change like Pacman.

Pacman hasn't changed. but this isn't the place for that discussion. I apologize my by rudeness in a post to you, how ever your map was pretty bad. It was a good try, just got lots to learn.

@harry - thanks for your feed back.

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
2014 Best RPG Maker User - StoryProject of the Year 20142014 Queen of RMRK2011 Best Newbie2014 Best RPG Maker User - Creativity2014 Kindest Member2013 Queen of RMRKBronze SS AuthorBronze Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.GOOD!For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best Yuyubabe Smiley2012 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity);o
Pacman hasn't changed.

ORLY? His "Zero-to-Hero" award did come from nothing.
Constructive criticism goes a long way, young grasshopper. :V

As for the map... everyone else agrees that it's good. The floors have teeny issues, but really, it's a great map. I'm not just saying that to be nice; I like it. :) I look forward to seeing you post more maps, Doc! You've got some growing talent with this.
Spoiler for My Games and Art:
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

The Lhuvia Tales [Current]

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Phoenix Wright: Haunted Turnabout [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

Rep:
Level 84
---> LOL <---
His maps need a lot of work, but they are a good start yes.

Hey... my name's... Sashikinaroji...
Rep:
Level 83
fear me...
wow... What happened to RMRK???

I mean, seriously... I remember a time when whiny bitches who talked on and on about how respect meant not being honest were the minority, and Adrien and the like were brutally honest, and backed by nearly the entire staff and member base, other than the likes of Franklin_TDO or others who were unable to take constructive criticism...

I mean, hell, Adrien wasn't even too rough on the guy, not like Harry... Harry was being an asshat, while Adrien was just being to-the-point. I mean, Adrien didn't once say that it looked like shit, or that it was stupid, just that it was something that didn't make sense and was likely just an error.

(or are we doing another event? Are we supposed to be doing a role-reversal???)
Ok, DON'T EXPECT HELP FROM ME~! I will perhaps rant a bit, but don't expect me to do graphics for you, even if I say I will... I won't.

Rep:
Level 98
2010 Best Veteran2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2014 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2014 King of RMRK2014 Favorite Staff Member2014 Most Mature Member2014 Best Writer2014 Best Counsel2013 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.Secret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Best Counsel2011 Best Writer2010 Funniest Member2010 Best Writer
you awoke in a burning paperhouse
from the infinite fields of dreamless sleep

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
2014 Funniest MemberParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 92011 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)
Ease up, Sushikawasakisauce. These are molehills, not mountains.

Rep:
Level 84
---> LOL <---
lies:

this proves these are mountains. LOL.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 05:57:11 AM by Anski »

Rep:
Level 98
2010 Best Veteran2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2014 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2014 King of RMRK2014 Favorite Staff Member2014 Most Mature Member2014 Best Writer2014 Best Counsel2013 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.Secret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Best Counsel2011 Best Writer2010 Funniest Member2010 Best Writer
you awoke in a burning paperhouse
from the infinite fields of dreamless sleep

Rep:
Level 84
---> LOL <---
no....you stole my mountains...angry face. Im going to have to brutally attack you. How: By going back on topic :D

Ps- Anski - you wonder why I'm a dick to people. Try and be a little nicer. also applies to Dr. Mc.

Rep:
Level 84
This text is way too personal.
Bronze - GIAW 11 (Hard)Silver - GIAW Halloween
wow... What happened to RMRK???

I mean, seriously... I remember a time when whiny bitches who talked on and on about how respect meant not being honest were the minority, and Adrien and the like were brutally honest, and backed by nearly the entire staff and member base, other than the likes of Franklin_TDO or others who were unable to take constructive criticism...

I mean, hell, Adrien wasn't even too rough on the guy, not like Harry... Harry was being an asshat, while Adrien was just being to-the-point. I mean, Adrien didn't once say that it looked like shit, or that it was stupid, just that it was something that didn't make sense and was likely just an error.

(or are we doing another event? Are we supposed to be doing a role-reversal???)

What I don't see is how Adrien.'s criticism is exactly constructive. His first post (before he edited it) was just:

Quote from: Adrien

And when he tried to be constructive after he edited the post in an attempt to look like a white knight, he ended up being as vague as ever. "Fix your floor tiles", "More tables", "your floors need to go right to the edge", etc. While he may be right, there were a lot of times where he didn't exactly explain how or why something needed a change. To be a better screenshot rater (not that I am a good one by all means), I would advise people to put themselves into the shoes of the mapper. How will my advice be useful to the mapper? Would it be useful at all? Was I too harsh at times?

Rexxy, albiet in a sarcastic and lighthearted yet slightly malicious tone, actually clearly explained what was wrong, what needs to be done and why the new result was better than the original. Something such as "The path along the right of it should be clear, because it breaks the suspense of disbelief; why would someone obstruct the only visible/marked entrance to his or her house with a barrel that would force visitors to walk dangerously/stupidly/unrealistically close to a shear cliff?" is fine to me. Rex clearly states why something is wrong and how to fix it.

TL;DR Frick I'm 7 posts late

Rep:
Level 84
---> LOL <---
you think im a cunt, there's a person on RRR named sailerius who would rip that map to fucking shreds. She/he is not as nice as I was, regardless of what you people think.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for August 2008Project of the Month winner for December 20092011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
you think im a cunt, there's a person on RRR named sailerius who would rip that map to fucking shreds. She/he is not as nice as I was, regardless of what you people think.

Adrien, I can tell you're trying to help, but you are being really abrasive, try to be a bit more polite with your critique, and it'll probably be generally more well received.

Being demeaning and aggressive about critique won't teach anyone anything, it just looks like hazing.

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

Hey... my name's... Sashikinaroji...
Rep:
Level 83
fear me...
I'm not trying to make mountains out of molehills, I am just commenting on what I see. I see what I see and I say what I say, but that doesn't mean that I am in any respect wrong or right. I am simply stating my opinions on the matter.

I don't really see why Adrien is getting so much shit because he's not explaining each point in his 25-point list on exactly what he means. The reasons of what is wrong is obvious to anyone who knows depth and structure, and are simply statements that denote what he sees as errors.

Even if he just posted

Quote from: Adrien

It's still just criticism... I'll admit, this is quite a bit worse than what I thought was the "mean comment", but nowhere near what Harry was doing. He was stating fact. His tiles are incredibly inconsistent and they were a glaring error that should have never made it out of photoshop (or wherever DoctorTodd edited this together), while the resulting list that was added were other errors that were not quite as obvious at first.

Point being, I just think that RMRK has changed far from it's days with Billy Bullshot...
Ok, DON'T EXPECT HELP FROM ME~! I will perhaps rant a bit, but don't expect me to do graphics for you, even if I say I will... I won't.

pokeball joyOfflineFemale
Rep:
Level 85
I heard the voice of the salt in the desert
2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)Project of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)2011 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)2011 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)Winner - 2011 Winter Project of the Season2010 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)2010 Best RPG Maker User (Graphical)2010 Best Artist2014 Best RPG Maker User - Mapping2014 Best RPG Maker User - Graphics2014 Best Artist2013 Best RPG Maker User (Graphical)2013 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)2010 Most Deserving Of A Promotion2010 Most Attractive Female Member
Okay kids, let's stay on topic here.
Adrien: You offered a lot of minor, copy/pasting errors, but missed the biggest flaw in the map, you also offered no assistance in fixing the source of the multitude of errors, which I'm certain by your maps you know how to fix. Also..it's his first time, just because someone else would have been harsher, doesn't give you a free ticket either. Chill man, this is supposed to be a helpful thread.

DoctorTodd: The small errors I see everywhere are no doubt just stemming from the fact that you are copy/pasting the tiles from the source set. That's where the tiles are either not lining up right or have gaps. To keep your repeating tiles like floors, walls, grass, dirt, stone, ect perfectly aligned, you should start making use of the pattern stamp tool in photoshop. It's very easy to make patterns in PS, just select the 32x32 repeating tile you will be using, click the "Edit" tab, then select "Define Custom Pattern" A window will come up with a box to name the pattern, and voila! You can now use this pattern seamlessly with either the pattern stamp tool or with the fill bucket (just select pattern instead of foreground). This should allow you to avoid these alignment issues. I also recommend going to Edit->Preferences->Guides grids and slices and setting the gridline to every 32 pixels, this will give you the option of aligning things just like they are in rpgmaker. The gridline is a good visual tool and anything you copypaste will auto align within it if you want. To turn it on/off, just use ctrl+h.

As to the mapping error, Your height is messed up at the door. The ground floor has walls two high, then the balcony above it has walls two high, so any place where there is a wall that doesn't have the balcony should have walls four high, like this:

Also, a critique for Adrien, I really think you need to stop using the airbrush tool to draw in your long grass and dirt. The gradient fade looks unnatural, a patch of long grass doesn't fade into oblivion, it slowly thins out and staggers off. Use one of the harder edged tools set to scatter, like this:

Rep:
Level 71
Thanks for the advice how ever I use GIMP, though I think I saw the tool you were talking about. About the wall, I had noticed that an hour after I posted it (I was thinking to my self how did I manage to screw that up).

pokeball joyOfflineFemale
Rep:
Level 85
I heard the voice of the salt in the desert
2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)Project of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)2011 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)2011 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)Winner - 2011 Winter Project of the Season2010 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)2010 Best RPG Maker User (Graphical)2010 Best Artist2014 Best RPG Maker User - Mapping2014 Best RPG Maker User - Graphics2014 Best Artist2013 Best RPG Maker User (Graphical)2013 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)2010 Most Deserving Of A Promotion2010 Most Attractive Female Member
Yeah, I've never used gimp, but it should have a similar function. And we've all done it man, I always have -something- in my first posts of a map.

Rep:
Level 85
Winter is here.
Also regarding parallax mapping, I tried my hand at it again and made a pub of sorts. Tried to keep it cozy if that makes any sense.

Eddard Stark art by Teiiku