RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Mapspiration

A-pow 2015
Rep:
Level 81
2014 Best RPG Maker User - GraphicsFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2013 Most Unsung MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.How can I help you? :Da^2 + b^2 = c^2Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 9Bronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
Post pics of cool maps that you've found around the net. Maybe it'll help spark some mapping creativity.  :aco:

Spoiler for Really Huge Image:
All of this guy's maps are awesome. Check out his deviantart page for more.

This one isn't all that flashy, but I do like the subtle lighting and how cozy it feels.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 04:18:17 AM by acolyte »

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
2014 Best RPG Maker User - StoryProject of the Year 20142014 Queen of RMRK2011 Best Newbie2014 Best RPG Maker User - Creativity2014 Kindest Member2013 Queen of RMRKBronze SS AuthorBronze Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.GOOD!For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)2012 Best Yuyubabe Smiley;o
Whoa, neat!! I do really like the second one, too. :D If I see any, I'll be sure to post them here!

*edit*

I like the lighting on this one!

Made by: zakfoss (rpgmakervx.net)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 05:26:37 AM by yuyu! »
Spoiler for My Games and Art:
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

The Lhuvia Tales [Current]

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Phoenix Wright: Haunted Turnabout [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

A man chooses,
Rep:
Level 92
a slave obeys
Project of the Month winner for April 2008
Spoiler for:

By Hyperben 2

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
2014 Best RPG Maker User - StoryProject of the Year 20142014 Queen of RMRK2011 Best Newbie2014 Best RPG Maker User - Creativity2014 Kindest Member2013 Queen of RMRKBronze SS AuthorBronze Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.GOOD!For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)2012 Best Yuyubabe Smiley;o
Of course I'd find one of Joy's maps ;____; <3

So beautiful *__*
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

Rep:
Level 98
2010 Best Veteran2014 King of RMRK2014 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2014 Best Counsel2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2014 Favorite Staff Member2014 Best Writer2014 Most Mature Member2013 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.Secret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Best Writer2011 Best Counsel2010 Best IRC Chatterbox2010 Funniest Member
Joy is the greatest mapper I've still ever seen.
you awoke in a burning paperhouse
from the infinite fields of dreamless sleep

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I'd say a tossup between Joy and Exhydra ;o
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

Rep:
Level 85
Winter is here.
Spoiler for Really Huge Image:

I get a really strong Exodar vibe from the top one. I like it a lot.
Eddard Stark art by Teiiku

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Hey, Ryosis! Long time, no see! :-)

Huh...it does kind of look like Exodar, now that you mention it... o__o (took me a second to remember what that was, since I haven't played WoW in 6-7 years)
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

Rep:
Level 85
Winter is here.
You make it sound like I'm never around. :P And yeah, it's been a minute since I've played WoW. I haven't been very active this expansion.

But small addendum to that, it looks more like Dalaran, at least architecturally. The lighting is pretty similar to the Exodar, though.

That aside, I was wondering what really inspired people as far as mapping goes? Obviously, studying other great maps is a good way to get inspiration, but what about from other sources? I know for me, watching Sherlock Holmes really helped with the 19th Century London vibe I'm so fond of.

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
That aside, I was wondering what really inspired people as far as mapping goes? Obviously, studying other great maps is a good way to get inspiration, but what about from other sources? I know for me, watching Sherlock Holmes really helped with the 19th Century London vibe I'm so fond of.

Hmmm...that's a good question. I got a pretty strong surge of inspiration from Dragon's Dogma, actually. They aren't necessarily pretty, but they were neat in a gritty, historical kind of way. Not that I would know the accuracy of how historical they are, but that game has a way of creating the dusty-road, stone-walled atmosphere that seems to fit the bill.

That being said, I quickly started to go more for games that are visually appealing. Rune Factory 3 is probably my favorite visuals-wise of the series. That feeling when you find out that your farm is located under a giant, beautiful tree. ;_;

Spoiler for:

The maps are generally very cozy and comfortable-looking. *_*

The game has classy, cozy fantasy maps that I absolutely adore. :gracie:
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

Rep:
Level 96
2011 Most Missed Member2010 Zero To Hero
I don't really have much to contribute to this thread, but I do like it a lot.

This is a good thread.

Rep:
Level 85
Winter is here.
Right there with ya, Arrow.

I haven't played Dragon's Dogma, unfortunately, but I feel where you're coming from, yuyu. Part of the reason I loved Skyrim so much was because if the realistic setting. I've come to realize that I just really love realism.

That said, I also love inserting fantasy elements into settings they have no earthly business being in. 19th Century London-esque setting with elves, dwarves, and goblins? Why yes.

There's also something to be said of the contrast between realistic environments and more outlandish ones. I love the abrupt shift; it really makes those environments stand out and invoke an even greater sense of awe. Stumbling upon Blackreach by complete accident was one of my favorite moments from Skyrim, but that's a whole different topic of discussion entirely.

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I haven't played Dragon's Dogma, unfortunately, but I feel where you're coming from, yuyu. Part of the reason I loved Skyrim so much was because if the realistic setting. I've come to realize that I just really love realism.

That said, I also love inserting fantasy elements into settings they have no earthly business being in. 19th Century London-esque setting with elves, dwarves, and goblins? Why yes.

There's also something to be said of the contrast between realistic environments and more outlandish ones. I love the abrupt shift; it really makes those environments stand out and invoke an even greater sense of awe. Stumbling upon Blackreach by complete accident was one of my favorite moments from Skyrim, but that's a whole different topic of discussion entirely.

Oh, gawsh, Blackreach ;__; so pretty! I'm totally with you on that one - I like to be surprised. ;o Too much of the same type of scenery gets pretty old.
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

A-pow 2015
Rep:
Level 81
2014 Best RPG Maker User - GraphicsFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2013 Most Unsung MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.How can I help you? :Da^2 + b^2 = c^2Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 9Bronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII

From ManuYasha on deviantart.

A-pow 2015
Rep:
Level 81
Also a couple from celianna

Rep:
Level 85
Winter is here.
Spoiler for:

I like this one, and the rest of his/her work. Sometimes I find myself caught off-guard with the maps that can be made using the RTP tiles.

A man chooses,
Rep:
Level 92
a slave obeys
Project of the Month winner for April 2008

Rtp tiles & custom made ones inspire me a lot. I really wanna get back to playing in rpg maker whenever I see maps like this.

Meanwhile; here's another few that's been sitting around my computer who were used as references: (Sadly I dunno who the authors are)

(I know this one was from Deviantart and the guy does amazing custom rtp maps)
-------------------------
No clue who they are from, but their quite inspiring, and gives some good ideas:

A-pow 2015
Rep:
Level 81
I usually don't like the more cartoony tiles from celianna, but I do like this map:

I also love Hanzo Kimura's XP edits:

A-pow 2015
Rep:
Level 81
Looking back through some of the older posts in the Screenshot Thread. The Shadow posted a lot of good maps, and still does every once in a while.

The shadow's use of photobucket has me a bit concerned though. A lot of the other photobucket images have broken links. I'm wondering if we should rehost some of these mapping examples in case they get taken down?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 03:17:19 AM by Starfire »

A-pow 2015
Rep:
Level 81

Rep:
Level 98
2010 Best Veteran2014 King of RMRK2014 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2014 Best Counsel2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2014 Favorite Staff Member2014 Best Writer2014 Most Mature Member2013 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.Secret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Best Writer2011 Best Counsel2010 Best IRC Chatterbox2010 Funniest Member
How do people do this? ._.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Rep:
Level 96
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
GIAW 14: 2nd Place (Hard Mode)2013 Zero to Hero2013 Biggest Drama WhoreParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
Parallax mapping is a strange dark magic I wish to some day learn.
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Rep:
Level 83
Good grief, these look amazing...

-flap

A-pow 2015
Rep:
Level 81

Rep:
Level 98
all this shit is making me want to get back into RM whhyyyy