RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Game In A Week XIII

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
2014 Best RPG Maker User - Story2014 Queen of RMRKProject of the Year 20142011 Best Newbie2014 Best RPG Maker User - Creativity2014 Kindest Member2013 Queen of RMRKBronze SS AuthorBronze Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.GOOD!For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)2012 Best Yuyubabe Smiley;o
I'll be in the video reviews. It's the least I could do after crushing everyone's faith by dropping out.

you can be my funny sidekick ;_;
Spoiler for My Games and Art:
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

The Lhuvia Tales [Current]

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Phoenix Wright: Haunted Turnabout [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

Rep:
Level 72
The cloaked schemer
Most Promising Project 2014
I don't mind but i mean...there isn't much to review. lol

RMRK's dad-in-training
Rep:
Level 72
Busy Husband, Dad, and Youth Minister
GIAW 14: 2nd Place (Easy Mode)2014 Best WriterBronze - GIAW 11 (Normal)Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.2012 Best NewbieContestant - GIAW 9
You'd be surprised how long a GIAW can take to play...

Rep: +0/-0Level 36
My game's done.  I'm going to do one last playthrough before I submit.  I may even submit it tomorrow morning.
Thanks, it was fun!

Rep:
Level 81
Participant - GIAW 11
Yeah, I didn't really get much done at all for my submission, as such I'm not expecting a good review. :/

Rep: +0/-0Level 36
I PMed Zylos my incredibly awesome game but it doesn't show anything in my sent folder.  Let me know if you didn't receive it.  Thanks!
Also, I may modify my submission before the end date if I find any more glaring bugs.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 04:16:35 PM by KilgoreTrout »

2 kawaii 2 live
Rep:
Level 40
2 sugoi 2 die
I cannot wait until all the judging is done I am freaking out ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I wouldn't mind a video review of my game except that I dunno if it's really video worthy.

*nervous crying*

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
2013 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)Randomizer - GIAW 11Gold - GIAW 11 (Hard)Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)2012 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantGold - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for September 2008For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2011 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2011 Kindest Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Most Deserving Of A Promotion2010 Best RPG Maker User (Technical)
This is it, people.

THE FINAL DAY.

Just four three more contestants left to either make it to the finish line or fall flat right before it. So far we have eleven people who managed to finish (whether fully drawn out games or partial demos), three people who dropped out and are wearing the boot of shame, and four people who simply didn't turn anything in at all due to mysterious circumstances. After that, the judges will huddle down in a quiet whisper session and quietly judge you for all of your flaws. No word yet on when the exact date the scores will be released, but we're aiming to be as soon as possible and within the week at the latest.

Who will win the first place ranking? Who will be left in the dust in last place? Whose leg will get humped when I run out of games to play? Find out next time on... Total. Drama. CONTEST!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 08:14:29 PM by Zylos »

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Rep:
Level 96
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
GIAW 14: 2nd Place (Hard Mode)2013 Zero to Hero2013 Biggest Drama WhoreParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
you better turn in a game bluntswag420 or ill come over to your house and have a stern talking to you about the economy mister
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

RMRK's dad-in-training
Rep:
Level 72
GIAW 14: 2nd Place (Easy Mode)2014 Best WriterBronze - GIAW 11 (Normal)Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.2012 Best NewbieContestant - GIAW 9
you better turn in a game bluntswag420 or ill come over to your house and have a stern talking to you about the economy mister

You will have a game sir. Just let me move my in-laws into their house and get over my ear infection.

No sweat.

Rep:
Level 39
RMRK Junior
I'm not even involved in this in any way, but I'm kind of excited to see the outcomes, and possibly toy with the idea of playing any high-rated games but never actually play them because I'm always busy coding or doing other shit...

Well, good luck everyone! Glad to see that this many people participated, even if some dropped out and some died/vanished.
My Website:

:tinysmile:

Rep:
Level 96
GIAW 14: 2nd Place (Hard Mode)2013 Zero to Hero2013 Biggest Drama WhoreParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.

You will have a game sir. Just let me move my in-laws into their house and get over my ear infection.

No sweat.

Oh. :(
Please get better.

Anything to do with the ears or teeths are like the worst things ever.
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

A-pow 2015
Rep:
Level 81
2014 Best RPG Maker User - GraphicsFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2013 Most Unsung MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.How can I help you? :Da^2 + b^2 = c^2Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 9Bronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII

catheters

RMRK's dad-in-training
Rep:
Level 72

catheters

Noted.

The game is done, bug checking in progress.

Looking like a solid demo for sure with a decent amount of gameplay.

Hurrah.

Rep:
Level 96
your putting cattheters in your ear? D:
I don't think thats how they work
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
2013 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)Randomizer - GIAW 11Gold - GIAW 11 (Hard)Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)2012 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantGold - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for September 2008For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2011 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2011 Kindest Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Most Deserving Of A Promotion2010 Best RPG Maker User (Technical)
Why are you hatin' on cats? D:

ALSO TIME'S ALMOST UP FOR YOU LAST THREE CONTESTANTS, HURRY HURRY HURRY!

Rep:
Level 83
Video review would be fun.  I'm totally down, especially with the non-destructive part.

-flap

RMRK's dad-in-training
Rep:
Level 72
Talk about a sprint to the finish. Yay GIAW!

Now off to bed.

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
And that's it, time's up! Put your pencils down and start biting your nails, because...

IT'S JUDGEMENT TIME!

Out of sheer irony, we had THIRTEEN people who managed to finish in time! I swear, this wasn't planned! Some projects are looking rather impressive, some are looking not-so-impressive, but I can at least assure you all that unlike some previous contests, there aren't any projects so painfully awful that they make me want to strangle myself with my own tail. At least that I've seen yet, no promises on my survival!

Now that the game creation period is over, the judges will be going over each of the games individually and grading it in the four categories mentioned in the original post: polish, playability, ingenuity, and entertainment. The games will be ranked in order by the average score of all categories by all five judges, so it's entirely possible for one person to just barely beat another person by a single decimal point. Any ties for the prize winning ranks will be honored with both parties getting an equal number of prizes, though it is highly unlikely given the variation between the judges.

The judges have a deadline of August 30th at the very latest to finish all of the games and turn in their assessment. But keep checking back here before then too, because it's likely that we'll all be done before then and announce the final scores at the earliest convenience for everyone! Also, if anyone doesn't want to have their game recorded for a video review, speak now or forever hide in shame, because in addition to the usual after-contest gathering to review the games, I might try something different and make a video countdown of the winners to announce the score. Who knows!

No matter what the scores are in the end though, remember that the biggest point of pride is in simply finishing at all! It's a grueling challenge to be able to push something out at that pace, and nine of our contestants couldn't do it. So congratulations to all of you guys, and I hope you've had as much fun doing it as I am playing your work! :3

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
2014 Best RPG Maker User - Story2014 Queen of RMRKProject of the Year 20142011 Best Newbie2014 Best RPG Maker User - Creativity2014 Kindest Member2013 Queen of RMRKBronze SS AuthorBronze Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.GOOD!For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)2012 Best Yuyubabe Smiley;o
Can't wait til we get to do our silly reviews! *__*

I've been practicing my video reviewing skills. >B( Prepare all of uranuses!
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

Rep:
Level 83
Whoo hoo!  I'm so excited!  May the gods of gaming judgement be ever on my side...

RMRK's dad-in-training
Rep:
Level 72
So, one thing I wanted to try to accomplish with my game was to make battles more interesting.

Rpg maker games tend to be very vanilla when it comes to battles. Not much reason to press any button except for smashing the space bar.

So I tried to think about how to make skills more interesting.

For character, he gives up his own hp to use his skills. Another uses gold to perform hers. The third is an "ammo" character, and so needs ammunition to attack and use skills. Lastly, instead of a straight magic user, I had an alchemist. I wanted him to have to use a combination of items to perform a "spell," but that didn't work out. So he uses a different amount of one type of item to make his spells happen.

So there's a little about how I attempted to make my game interesting.

Cheers.

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Ooh, different! :) I like it.
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

Rep:
Level 83
That sounds fascinating.  I always try to spruce up battles as well.  I think the trick is forcing resources to have value.  If you can mash the enemy to death with normal attacks, then there's no reason to use the moves that take GP.  Normal attacks are too powerful in most RPGs. 

Interstingly, there are no battles in my game.  But there is magic!  :O
Also, I wanted to mention that more than half the songs are my original works.  I wrote them over the last couple years, but this is the first game they've appeared in.

An, oh yeah, I'm a Youth Minister too!  Thought that was a cool coincidence! 

-flap

Rep:
Level 72
The cloaked schemer
Most Promising Project 2014
Well since all the kool kids r doin it. I will tell my story as well. See I wasted 2 days not being able to think of anything. On the 3rd day I came up with an idea and started working on it. It was supposed to be something like Runescape's Dungeoneering. An ABS on the map, and randomly assigned rooms that create a complete dungeon with boss. Then I decided that I didn't like the idea of adding an ABS to the game so I decided against it. I thought about the things I loved in RPG Maker games, and that was the story and gameplay. So I quickly wrote up a short quest where the hero would have to get some ancient treasure from the castle. But I didn't want to use just XP rtp to make the game, so I started making small graphics here and there.

I ended up spending the rest of my time making a small custom tileset. Made of straight rips and completely custom resources. I also spent more time than I should working on making the RPG maker music sound orchestrated rather than midi, and fixing the message system to my liking. Though the title screen looks like I put a pretty decent amount of work into it, I really just used an anime character generator and fancied them up. The evented title screen took probably 10 minutes after that. Most of my time was spent on the music because I fell in love with the rtp music while giving them better sounds/ different instrumentation. (My personal favorite was battle!) I ended up running out of time while only having a short piece of the game. (Literally get a book, and read it).