RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
RPG Maker [SOMETHING]? Will there be one?

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Rep:
Level 96
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
GIAW 14: 2nd Place (Hard Mode)2013 Biggest Drama Whore2013 Zero to HeroParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
I think the four people here have noticed that things haven't been "lively" in a while. Other forums seem to have fallen into a lull as of late also.
I remember when there were 20-30 posts daily in every board. Now there's at best 2.
Has the "RPG MAKER CRAZE" worn off, are people losing interest with this program? Where has everybody gone?

TL;DR
Will there ever be a new RPG maker, or is VX Ace the last?
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Rep:
Level 85
Winter is here.
I can't say for certain. There are a good number of alternatives out there that are quite a bit more flexible than the RPG Maker series, so I can somewhat confidently assume that they're stealing its steam so to speak.

I think that if there were a new version released, Enterbrain would have to reverse some of the decisions they've made in the name of ease-of-use, as a lot of these features have - in my opinion, at least - taken away some of the freedom and flexibility. That would probably help give the series a boost.
Eddard Stark art by Teiiku

pokeball TDSOffline
Rep:
Level 84
-T D S-
Silver - GIAW 11 (Hard)Silver - Game In A Week VII
It's very hard to get people to comment on things even if they like them. Sometimes they may like a game or resource, but they don't like the person and so they don't post.

I used to think the solution was systems that allowed people to "Like" things anonymously or giving them points for contributing by posting (same logic as becoming more popular by posting resources, but instead of resources you just provide posts), but these all rely on things to constantly like or comment about.

Since we cannot constantly provide new things it will eventually reach a point where people simply have nothing new to talk about.

Also there is the problem of those running on an "Ego trip" and will not accept any perceived negative attention towards their work. This means that most people are wary of commenting on games/resources with their concerns and grievances.

I think we should make it more clear to people posting games/resources that they do so knowing that they may receive harsh criticism and they are free to choose to ignore it or address it, but they cannot attack the person posting it (unless it's clearly a personal attack, and then you should just report it.) . That way more people can feel safe to say without any fear: "Your game is terrible, you should cut your losses and take what you've learned and start again. The battle system makes no sense and is completely broken, the graphics are barely identifiable colors on the screen and the story is a ripoff and mashup of about 20 different animes."

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for August 2008Project of the Month winner for December 20092011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
Wait for summer.

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

Rep:
Level 96
GIAW 14: 2nd Place (Hard Mode)2013 Biggest Drama Whore2013 Zero to HeroParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
I thought it was summer. Are you telling me it's going to get hotter?  ;9
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Most Mature Member2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
Yeah, these things tend to come in waves. It will hopefully pick up again, though RM has always been a sort of niche hobby.

Rep:
Level 43
Somewhat got a project? (\ô/)
GIAW 14: ParticipantParticipant - GIAW 11
I don't know if it's the interrest in the programm that get lost, or the programm who is technically very old school. ;)
The second point is there are those stupid limitations for how much items, etc. you can make. :(
For my oppinion there are options they aren't avaible like a HD or FullHD resolution, which often has the effect, that the screen is pretty blurred. Second thing is there are no surround or virtual surround options for sound.  :(
The next things are there is no day, night or day, month, year option implemented, also no shadow and lightning options. No options for weather or options to make easyly own weather effect's.  :(
But after all it is very easy to use this programm. ;)
After all I can say this is the best and so far most active forum, I like to beeing here. :)

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
2014 Queen of RMRK2014 Best RPG Maker User - StoryProject of the Year 20142011 Best Newbie2014 Best RPG Maker User - Creativity2014 Kindest Member2013 Queen of RMRKBronze SS AuthorBronze Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.GOOD!For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best Yuyubabe Smiley2012 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity);o
I like you being here, too, Miriam. :>

Anyways, I don't really have many qualms with RPG Maker. It's one of the easiest makers to use, and it's pretty flexible if you get creative. I understand hitting the walls of the system's limitations, though. And the trouble with many game makers is that most people only like to do certain things in games, and may get discouraged by having to work on the other parts. I keep trying to make new games, but burn out due to only wanted to do the writing and whatnot. ;_;

School is out over here, but there's probably still a ton of places that still have school right now. =o

I'm assuming they will make a new RPG Maker, because people still seem to be buying their makers. Hopefully they will fix that awful battle system. B(
Spoiler for My Games and Art:
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

The Lhuvia Tales [Current]

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Phoenix Wright: Haunted Turnabout [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

Rep:
Level 96
... due to only wanted to do the writing and whatnot. ;_;

Hey, what'cha doing later. ^_~
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
2014 Queen of RMRK2014 Best RPG Maker User - StoryProject of the Year 20142011 Best Newbie2014 Best RPG Maker User - Creativity2014 Kindest Member2013 Queen of RMRKBronze SS AuthorBronze Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.GOOD!For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best Yuyubabe Smiley2012 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity);o
Whoops...not the best use of phrasing (and grammar, for that matter), was it? ;9
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

Rep:
Level 96
._______.'

I was asking if you might be interesting in helping me with my project. It sounded like you like the writing and stuff, and I would allow you full artistic rights to the story and plot.

edot: did u no that Arboc backwrds is turtle and Muk spelled backwrds is snake xD
edet2; don't take a poop when u dont need to
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 07:24:10 PM by Lord Stark »
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

<o>_<o>
Rep:
Level 72
2014 Best Artist2013 Best ArtistFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.Gold - GIAW 10Contestant - GIAW 9
._______.'

I was asking if you might be interesting in helping me with my project. It sounded like you like the writing and stuff, and I would allow you full artistic rights to the story and plot.

She thought it was taken out of text, which has happened a few times (if you refresh and watch the top right corner you might find one)
and she just went out for a little while, but she should respond within the day. :)

Spoiler for:
man I should get my name changed to Yuyu's Secretary

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Auuughh just had dental work done...it's the worst thing in the world. .-.

Anyways, what type of project is it, Mr. Stark? =o
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

Rep:
Level 96
http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,47879.0.html

I don't know if you were around for my other... games.
#6 - http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,40303.msg463162.html#msg463162

I wanted to not only changed the name, but to change the image of the game. I wanted a fresh start, unburdened from what came before it. Iwas scribble dinghillbobby honk.
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I see! =o I'll send you a PM, and ask for more details there.
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Most Mature Member2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
Well, I don't know specifically whether there will be more activity in the near future, but I think there will always be a market (an admittedly small one) for a program where one person can sit down for a week and make an enjoyable (or not) hour-long game. 

It is a pretty simple program, but that's kind of the point in my opinion. Certainly, where it comes to making very high-quality games, there are a lot of better programs out there. However, I like RPG Maker a lot primarily because it is very simple and you can do everything that needs to be done yourself or else by relying on public resources. For someone who is primarily interested in one or two aspects of game design (like just story and game mechanics, for instance), I think it's a lot of fun to just have a very simple program where you don't have to worry terribly much about all the artwork, scripting, etc. that you can't do and just focus on the stuff you like.

Some people try to get really fancy with RPG Maker and make some massive epic with custom scripts, art, etc., and maybe there are better programs out there for people who want to make something really unique or amazing. For me, RPG Maker is first a game and only second a game-making tool; the point is primarily just to have fun using RPG Maker, and you can do that just by focusing on the aspects of game design you like and are good at and it doesn't really matter whether you ever get a finished game.

Now, it can be great to focus on the end-product too and there can be a lot of joy in creating a fun, finished game, but not if it comes at the cost of focussing on all the aspects of game design that you don't enjoy.

And all of the sharing of resources is really great too, since it gives people whose talents do not primarily lie in story-telling and game design to see their music, scripts, etc. incorporated into a fun, nostalgic kind of game.

Not that Degica is paying me to write this or anything. No siree!
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 11:17:36 PM by modern algebra »

Rep:
Level 62
RMRK Junior
The idea that EB needs to cut corners to maintain an ease-of-use is ludicrous. There's plenty of features that could be provided within the software, out of the gate without having to resort to add-on third party scripts, and still keep it user friendly.

However, the problem with EB is that the price of their software has skyrocketed compared to what similar products are selling for, especially if you are not planning to use the software to make a commercial investment. If EB were to incorporate more of the features that would make the program flexible, they'd likely charge somewhere around $150 in the states alone. That would more than likely turn off many would-be buyers, especially considering that people complained when Ace was sold at $90, and still complain when it's sold at $70.

Rep:
Level 43
That would more than likely turn off many would-be buyers, especially considering that people complained when Ace was sold at $90, and still complain when it's sold at $70.
There you be right, for me the 70€ were a really high price, but for that what I get it's okay. I guess I would never had spended more than 100€, that is the absolute maximum. But at this point I can say, in some kinda way the editor is okay till good.

If I think about the Morrorwind or NWN Editor this one is pretty much better to use and there are ready scripts avaible in the programm.

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
2014 Funniest MemberParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 92011 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)
Those of us who grew up with SNES-era RPGs are adults now and have little time to devote to hobbyist game making. Besides, the genre itself is a dying breed anymore; what was once widespread seems to be much more of a niche, especially considering most people I know who are still into the genre are nostalgic about that era. Anyone 15 or younger wasn't even alive when Final Fantasy 7 came out.

Rep:
Level 43
I grew up with all the RPG's since the C64 and even in the last days there are games like "Costum Quest" or "Lost Odyssey" and such games. But in the past there where more like on the SNES. I loved to play "7th Saga" or "Lufia 2". I really wanted to do a "ancestral cave" in my RPG, but it's way to hard to code. The Script would be over 1000 Lines long and hard to whrite. I really hope, that there will be more people who get's again interrest in making there own RPG's. :)

Sperm Donor Extraordinaire
Rep:
Level 77
Bronze - GIAW 9
The rpgmakerweb forums look pretty lively.  I think the major difference now (as opposed to way back when I started) is now we have localized support from a legit company who is also providing us with a community to display our things. 

When I and many of us started using RPG Maker, you had a few websites and then you had Don Miguel's forums you could go to and most people used Don Miguel's forums, I assume because you could download the program and then click one shitty flash button and bam, you're at the forum. 

I assume it's relatively the same now for some.  They buy the program at rpgmakerweb and then go to the forums.  RMN is still alive, though the website is rather slow and always risking getting shut down and seeking donations, but it's still there and a lot of people use RPG Maker as a launch-pad into other more advanced game makers. 

The fact that they are working on Steam Workshop support within the next month or so (according to the email I got when it went on sale on Steam), I am willing to bet that they will be supporting this program plus making more for years.  It just simply cannot be beat in terms of ease of use for people who are just beginning and have absolutely no programming knowledge.
I am out of fucks to give.  In fact, I think you owe ME some fucks.  I have insufficient fucks in the fucking account.

Rep:
Level 41
Hey Sexy Girlfriend!!!
I think one of the big reasons why people aren't using RPG Maker websites is because they're using some sort of game editor, like Skyrim's Construction Set. I'm a member of one of their websites and it seems like they get at least 70+ posts in the Construction Set subforum.
"I'm singing in the rain, just singing in the rain...."

Rep:
Level 43
I think one of the big reasons why people aren't using RPG Maker websites is because they're using some sort of game editor, like Skyrim's Construction Set. I'm a member of one of their websites and it seems like they get at least 70+ posts in the Construction Set subforum.
Yes, I tried once the Morrowind CS, but it was so confusing and hard to use, that it's nearly impossible to do something. ;)
I needed about 20 hours to add all races. To build the first town with all the scripts it taken me another 100 hours. :(
And there was the point were I said, I couldn't do a game based on this Editor. Without a programming team, that is willed to help you fullfill your game and, do it like you want it, it's impossible. I only used ingame scripts, but even so it took like ages. :'(
Next one I tried was the NWN Editor, thanks good scripts were allready added. To make the maps and characters and all that was okay to do. But there was one big problem why I canceled that, the Editor has closed hiself every half hour and I had to do everything again and again. :(
So far I could say the RPG Maker series is since the SNES the best maker. ;)
Wolf's RPG Maker is not understandable, 'cause everything is in japanese. :(

Rep:
Level 63
オ・マイ・ゴッド ・㉨・
Wolf's RPG Maker is not understandable, 'cause everything is in japanese. :(
Learn Japanese then  :P
なんでやねん

Rep:
Level 43
Learn Japanese then  :P
That is so easy to do. :P
But I really hope there will be a english translation soon. ;)
Even I think about LBP & LBP 2 the editor tooks really long to make a own level, in RPG Maker there you go much faster to the goal ;)