RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Changing the in-game controls

Rep: +0/-0Level 78
RMRK Junior
I don't suppose you can change the controls when your playing your game? like make "d" open up the menu or whatever you want to do.

Rep:
Level 87
Embrace the stillness of eternity.
Press F1 while playtesting if you're using RMXP.

Rep: +0/-0Level 78
RMRK Junior
Oh yeah, no I'm using 2k3.  Sorry I forgot your suppose to put in what maker your using.

What happened to each version of the rpg maker having its own section.  It was alot easier finding stuff that way.

Rep:
Level 81
RMRK Master
There is an event called "key input processing". I'm not so sure how to use it, but I know that it has a part in what you are trying to do.
..........|¯•¸_¸,.•”ˆ¯....Thundercow....¯ˆ“•.,¸_¸•¯|..........
¯•_¹ˆ¯•ˆ¯¯±¸_Thunderclan WÅrrÏØr_¸±¯¯ˆ•¯ˆ²_•¯

Epequest
Game-25% complete
Demo-99% complete

Rep: +0/-0Level 76
RMRK Junior
I believe what you are trying to do is to change or make new keys do different things.....so I'm going to go off that assumption.

What you need to do is go into your Database.

Inside there is a tab that is called common events.

Create a new one. I would suggest calling it something along the lines of Call_menu, but that is my organization.

Now besides where you name it is a pull down menu called Trigger which contains Call, Auto-run, and Parallel process.

Choose Parallel process.

Note: the only thing you would need the switches for is to say turn this off at certain points. For what you will be doing this will be irrelevant.

no Insert  Into the first command the option : Key Input Proccessing.

From here you can choose between the arrows, Decision key(enter, space) and cancel key( esc.), Numbers from (0-9) And a few symbols. also make shure you only have the keys you want to use for it checked.

I haven't figured out how to make them seperate tho so if someone could tell me how it would be nice.
  Also to use the letter keys would require scripting I believe

From there Just input what you want it to do.

hope it helped.

Oh and for more complicated things such as creating jumping and stuff requires more commands.