RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Message command functions

Rep: +0/-0Level 83
Suguni raku ni shite aru
Greetings

I'm working in a game, and for that I designed a condition battle system where battling is handled through meeting given conditions. One of the 3 subsystems happen to require a random number between 1 and 8, the game will ask for an specific number. In order to simulate a roullette, I set randomly a variable with a number at that range and keep displaying it until player presses A button (Shift or Z). The fact is, I need that message to flow automatically until stop order is given, but default event commands don't work. I read somewhere in this forum, some topic, about some message command functions that allow to pause and change to the next text message, but I can't find such commands for RPGXP. I found another command I needed, that's to display a variable value, yet I still need to make these text boxes to flow automatically. Even that'd be great to make cutscenes. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

PS: I'm still googling it, so I guess "google might help" actually might not help me now.
"Un dios no hace nada, no dice nada, nisiquiera te pide nada a cambio. Solo se sienta y ve por nosotros, los tontos humanos perdidos."

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Most Mature Member2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
Use pictures instead of text boxes - it will look a lot prettier. All you need to do is use the Show Picture command, wait, show next number, wait, etc... in a loop.

Suguni raku ni shite aru
That's a good idea. I'll give it a shot. But still I'd like to make text to flow automatically in order to make cutscenes. I'm starting to read about RGSS scripting, but with that suggestion I guess I'd solve my issue. Thanks.
"Un dios no hace nada, no dice nada, nisiquiera te pide nada a cambio. Solo se sienta y ve por nosotros, los tontos humanos perdidos."

Rep:
Level 87
Embrace the stillness of eternity.
To make text flow automatically, just make text boxes, take pictures of each one, and use those. The player will be none the wiser.

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Most Mature Member2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
You can also get dubealex's AMS or ccoa's UMS. Both will have letter by letter functionality and allow you to control speed, wait times, and automatic closing. I'm positive of that.

Suguni raku ni shite aru
To make text flow automatically, just make text boxes, take pictures of each one, and use those. The player will be none the wiser.
Jajajaja! Good one. To be honest, I didn't think that since I guess it's possibble by means of scripts, you know, sending a simulated A Button signal, but also it might represent to write a proper function for it.

By the way, Mjustin, I'm really interested in your Roullette system, but the link posted there is already down and I didn't reply the post since it may be against the rules to post on a dead thread with more than 60 days. So I started to model it to make it via Event handling. Letting aside the fact that I'd have to show the pieces each one and align them properly, how do you handle gambling results? I've thought you would assign a certain number for each picture as a variable. In the other hand, how could I manage to highlight a picture as you show in the screenshots for your system? It's just another picture over the whole roullete, perhaps? Thanks anyway for your suggestion. It also comes pretty handy.

You can also get dubealex's AMS or ccoa's UMS. Both will have letter by letter functionality and allow you to control speed, wait times, and automatic closing. I'm positive of that.

I'm pretty sure I read about the AMS, but I thought RPGXP already had some functions alike. Are there any difference between both scripts? I mean, the newest, most stable nowadays, or just the one most of people that used it would recommend better.

Thanks both of you.

Rep:
Level 97
The default message system in RMXP is incredibly weak, much weaker than either RM2k3 or RMVX. You really do need a message system to do what you want to do without picture eventing, as MJustin mentioned.

As to the difference between them, ccoa's is more powerful, but has a steeper learning curve. Either one would work for what you want it for though, and I am not aware of any major bugs in either.

Rep:
Level 87
Embrace the stillness of eternity.
By the way, Mjustin, I'm really interested in your Roullette system, but the link posted there is already down and I didn't reply the post since it may be against the rules to post on a dead thread with more than 60 days. So I started to model it to make it via Event handling. Letting aside the fact that I'd have to show the pieces each one and align them properly, how do you handle gambling results? I've thought you would assign a certain number for each picture as a variable. In the other hand, how could I manage to highlight a picture as you show in the screenshots for your system? It's just another picture over the whole roullete, perhaps? Thanks anyway for your suggestion. It also comes pretty handy.

It's a bunch of Show Picture commands mostly. I made it before I knew how to do animations, which would probably be a better way to do it. I'll attach the file for you.