RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
I want a vehicle that moves on land. No sea. No sky. Land. RM2K3

Rep:
Level 76
RM2K3 Studied Learner
I want a car. A tank. A freaking donkey. I don't give a damn. I want my vehicle to drive on land. If you can do that, PLEASE help me!
Everything is always exactly $10 more than you can afford... unless you can get somebody to loan you ten dollars.

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Most Mature Member2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
Yeah, just use a Set Move Route Event Command on the Player: change the speed and change the character graphic.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 11:54:24 PM by modern algebra »

Rep:
Level 76
RM2K3 Studied Learner
Okay, first. At the risk of sounding stupid, a risk I run every day of my life, what's a Set Move Route Event Command and how do I use one? Apart from that, I understand the rest... I think.
Everything is always exactly $10 more than you can afford... unless you can get somebody to loan you ten dollars.

Rep:
Level 76
RM2K3 Studied Learner
Also, I'm using 2K3, so... yeah.

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Most Mature Member2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
It's called Move Event in 2k3. It's on the second tab of event commands in the second column, fourth from the bottom. Once in that, Change Graphic is second from the bottom in the third column, and Increase Move Speed is second from the bottom in the first column.

Rep:
Level 76
RM2K3 Studied Learner
Okay, with that knowledge, I made an event on the world map with a tank sprite. I made it so that when you clicked on the tank, the tank disappeared and your sprite became a tank sprite and you moved faster. Okay, that was easy. But let's say that I want to make it so that you get, say, 10 minutes as a tank and then you turned back into a human and the tank activation thing came back. How would you do that?

Rep: +0/-0Level 76
RMRK Junior
Oh! I can answer this one!

Now I'm working with rpgmaker XP, but I assume 2k3 has a timer.

Step 1:
Go to your event that changes player to tank. On the first page start a timer for however long you want, and throw a switch.
Step 2: Add a second page to that event. Make sure you use the switch you just turned on as a condition. Also, make sure the trigger for this event is parallel process. Now add a conditional branch, checking to see if the timer is 0 minutes and 0 seconds or LESS. Now in between the conditional branch and the else you can insert what you want to happen when the timer stops. For you that would be returning the sprite and movement speed to normal. Also make sure to stop the timer and turn the switch off.

Does that help?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 02:22:14 AM by archon »

Rep:
Level 76
RM2K3 Studied Learner
Thanks Archon, I'll try that. In a bit. After I figure out the whole variable thing. Please don't post with information on how to work with variables. I'll go find out.

Rep:
Level 76
RM2K3 Studied Learner
Okay, here's my logic so far. It may be a tad different than what I've so far said, trust me, that's perfectly normal when you work with me. Okay, so. First, I want to transform into a tiger when I click on this tiger that I've got sitting there on my worldmap. Second, while I'm in this "tiger form", I don't want the original tiger to be visible. Then, after ten minutes in "tiger form", I want to change back into my regular sprite, kill the switches that carry the event out, allowing me to go back to the original tiger event and rekick it. So, what I've got is this (I'm not very technological, so I don't know how to take a screenshot)

First Page of the Event:
No switches or variables on this page.
My code is as follows (bear in mind that this is 2k3)
Move Event: Hero, Change Graphic, Increase Move Speed
Main Menu Access: Forbid
Switch Operation: [0041: TigerSpeed] ON
Variable Oper: [0001: TigerTimer] +600

Page 2:
One switch, TigerSpeed, must be on.
On this page, nothing happens, the original tiger disappears, and the whole event goes to the layer under the hero. Okay all that's cool, blah blah blah.

Page 3:
On this one, the preconditions are: the Switch TigerSpeed has to be on, and the variable TigerTimer has to be greater than or equal to 600. Here's my code.
Move Event: Hero, Change Graphic (this is back to normal)
Main Menu Access: Allow
Switch Operation: [0041 TigerSpeed] OFF.

That's it. What happens when I activate this event, is that my character flashes into a tiger for less than a millisecond, then back to regular, and I'm my normal sprite. This clearly resulted from a mistake with the variable, but I'm not skilled with variables, so I brought it to you people. Please fix this if you can, and you're not sick of my stupid obsession with making a land-based vehicle.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 05:00:16 AM by nosnibor »

RMRK Junior
Ok, first of all on the first page of your event it looks like you are adding 600 to your variable? Than your third page runs if it's greater than or equal to 600. So yeah, the third page would run right away. I think I get what you were trying to do, but in order to do it with a variable you would have to keep adding 1 to it(I guess this would be in your 2nd page) until it hit 600. Problem is the code would run more than once per second, so it's pretty useless as a timer. but there is a simpler way.

Again, I have really no experience with Rpg Maker 2003, but I'm pretty sure RpgMaker 2003 has a built in timer in the event menu. It's much easier to work with in my opinion. It will even display how much time you have left on the screen. All you have to do is start the timer on your first page, then on your second page(parallel process) check to see if the timer is done with a conditional branch. I'm not sure if it's called a conditional branch in 2k3, but look for something like that. Than just add your code in the first part of the conditional branch. It sounds a little complicated, but if you try it I'm sure you'll figure it out.

Rep:
Level 76
RM2K3 Studied Learner
Okay, so. Run a timer on page 1. On page 3, make a conditional branch. Make it so that it checks the timer, and, if the timer has been running for ten minutes, run the rest of the stuff on page 3? Coolio, thanks.

RMRK Junior
Technically you don't need 3 pages, it can be done with two. The code in your conditional branch won't run automatically, it will only run when the timer is done. So page 1 has the tank graphic, sets the timer running and flips a switch. Page 2 has no graphic and checks if timer is finished. If the timer is finished it will do it's thing, than flip the switch off so that page 1 is visible again.

You can do it in three pages if you want, it just not the simplest way. If you have trouble consult my first reply, it gives pretty much step by step instructions.