RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
A great, completed Tutorial?

Rep:
Level 83
King in the North!
(I've read this part of "eventing" four times and I don't fully understand it yet...)

Well, I'm a novice and before, I was using 2003. I finally got XP and I'm trying learn as much as I can. I can somewhat understand self switches and other types of switches, but I'm having a problem understanding "eventing".

I'm trying to make cutscenes (movies) in my game and I don't know if "eventing" is the way to do it and if it is, how to do it. The most I've done was have a character walk up to another, say he was concerned and then talk to them again to read a different message.

Well...as I said, having some trouble with eventing  :-[

(I hope someone can help me  ;8 )

Thanks for reading!

Cheers :)
Winter is Coming

Rep:
Level 83
Kidfox70. It happens.
Well, actually there are Tutiorals on this site and others. Its some what simple to get a handle on. You should search.

But, to make things a bit easier, here are some things I've used when I started.

Spoiler for:
-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3653AD1cyQ

-http://www.rmxp.tigerseye.uk.com/tutorial_aevent2.shtml

-http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,157.0.html

I hope you find what your looking for.  :)
I don't say bless you when people sneeze, cause i'm not God. Blessing people is his job. Lolo?

Rep:
Level 83
King in the North!
I did search, but they either weren't finished or didn't go into detail of "events"  ;8

Thanks for the links! ^^
But the forum links don't work  :-[
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 11:34:16 PM by MagitekElite »
Winter is Coming

Rep:
Level 87
Embrace the stillness of eternity.
If you're not sure what a certain event command does, just right click the command button. "What's This?" will tell you what the command is for.

So, if that doesn't solve your problem, what exactly is it you're trying to do? Be specific.

Rep:
Level 83
King in the North!
Well, using them properly and using switches properly in events.

I just create a event for a tutorial I was making where the user talks a person and a switch activates and then a switch appears. I accidentally found out how to do that, and I'm not completely sure how I did.  ;D

Anyway, in a short version:

Does anyone have a tutorial dedicated or goes into deep detail, for events (or, RGSS)?
Winter is Coming

Rep:
Level 87
Embrace the stillness of eternity.
Using them properly to do what? If you don't tell us what you're trying to do, we can't help you. There is no single piece of advice that will magically allow you to bend events to your will. Please be specific.

Rep:
Level 83
Kidfox70. It happens.
I think the best thing you need to learn when reffering on Cut Scences is how to use Variables and Switchs. It seems you need some help with that. Variables are great for cut scences and Conversations with in them. A switch is good too, but when applied in a creative way, such as: You have the player interact with the cut scence, make him(her) choose something. Depending on what they choose a switch is turned on.

Here's an exam of what I'm talking about:

Spoiler for:
[Message]
So, your going into battle! Are you going to use a two handed sword?

[Players chooses]
Yes:
Switch Two Handed Sword On

No:

End

So from then on, because of that switch being on. You can read if the Player is using a Two Handed Sword, via Conditonal Branches. This isn't the Best example, because the Game can read what Items the player has or what he's using. Conditional Branchs ARE very USEFUL! If your having any trouble you could Pm me, I'm making a Mini Game Tutorial (very basic) and Hope to update and reallty build on it. I'll be posting it soon. It might be something you'd be able to use. I might even put a portion in there about Cut Scences. As a side note, you should always give as much detail as possible. Mjustin is very right when telling you about the Help file that comes with RMXP. We could also help you out alot more if we know exactly what you want to know. Just so you. We need to know clearly what your doing and how you want it to play out. What you've done to get there and where have you searched. This way, if you've given all the details, no one will have to ask and we can help you right way. I hope all is well, I wish you luck!  :blizj:
I don't say bless you when people sneeze, cause i'm not God. Blessing people is his job. Lolo?

Rep:
Level 82
I am that I am.
On top of everything that's been said here to help you there's no greater way of figuring things out than just taking the time to play around with all the possibilities in these programs. Just make a new project and play around and be adventurous, you can't break anything :)

If you really want in depth teaching on switches/variables and how you can utilise them then I suggest you find someone who will help you learn them (kinda like coaching) because tutorials usually tell you how they work, and from there you use your imagination to apply how they work to what you want to do. However with a coach you can give them your scenario and ask them how you could use switches/variables to get your desired outcome.

Just remember that using these programs is an art, much like learning an instrument - the more time you put into practising and being adventurous, the more you will figure out.

Good luck  ;D
As a dog returns to his vomit so too does a fool to his folly.