RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Armed Child Target Used For Training Police Officers

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
2013 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)Gold - GIAW 11 (Hard)Randomizer - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantGold - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for September 2008For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2011 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2011 Best Veteran2011 Kindest Member2010 Most Deserving Of A Promotion2010 Best RPG Maker User (Technical)
Quote from: Reason.Com
What if I told you police in your town could desensitize themselves to the idea of shooting a (armed) child, pregnant woman, or young mother, for just a couple of bucks? The "No More Hesitation" series from Law Enforcement Targets Inc. offers exactly that. For less than 99 cents per target, police can shoot at real-life images "designed to give officers the experience of dealing with deadly force shooting scenarios with subjects that are not the norm during training."

Update: The marketing team at Law Enforcement Targets, Inc. sends along this helpful explanation for the "No More Hesitation" series:

"The subjects in NMH targets were chosen in order to give officers the experience of dealing with deadly force shooting scenarios with subjects that are not the norm during training. I found while speaking with officers and trainers in the law enforcement community that there is a hesitation on the part of cops when deadly force is required on subjects with atypical age, frailty or condition (one officer explaining that he enlarged photos of his own kids to use as targets so that he would not be caught off guard with such a drastically new experience while on duty). This hesitation time may be only seconds but that is not acceptable when officers are losing their lives in these same situations. The goal of NMH is to break that stereotype on the range, regardless of how slim the chances are of encountering a real life scenario that involves a child, pregnant woman, etc. If that initial hesitation time can be cut down due to range experience, the officer and community are better served."

The series contains seven targets in all, titled Pregnant Woman, Older Man 1, Older Man 2, Older Woman, Young Mother, Young Girl, and Little Brother. Each of the depicted subjects is armed.

I've reached out to Minnesota-based Law Enforcement Targets, Inc., for comment on what inspired the series and whether it's popular with law enforcement groups (see comment added above). Considering that the company has landed $5.5 million worth of contracts with the federal government, it might also be interesting to know if these targets are being used by federal law enforcement agents.   

Source: http://reason.com/blog/2013/02/19/is-your-local-police-department-using-pi

Irock linked this on the IRC. That's just... *shivers*

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
You know, I think its all gonna be okay.
For going the distance for a balanced breakfast.Project of the Month winner for June 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2013 Best WriterSilver Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 Participant
:tinysmile:

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
NO MORE HESITATION - ADORABLE DOG ON COUCH WITH GUN

Non-traditional threat depicting a dog holding a gun. Designed to prepare officers for the worst possible situation.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 02:46:14 AM by Holkeye »

Last Stop
Rep:
Level 88
Everyone Off
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 92011 Biggest Drama WhoreBronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
officer dies because a pregnant lady shot him, woo fuck the police.

Rep:
Level 88
Unoriginal text here.
I can understand what they're trying to do. They're concerned that a cop might not have the capacity to kill someone who poses an immediate threat if that someone is a particular kind of person. But how often do you read about cops getting shot because they didn't have the capacity to shoot? The only time I really remember that happening was in RoboCop 2. This isn't a problem cops seem to have in real life. They're already too quick to fire at people, like those women who were sitting in a car that happened to look like a car Dorner had. Police it seems are getting too trigger-happy. Let us remember that most cops in England don't even have guns. Perhaps that's not a realistic comparison. There's probably a lot more crime in America, so I can see the point to it. But still, they need to be responsible with that kind of power.

Besides, cops have tasers. They should resort to incapacitation if they can. I believe any death is sad, so they shouldn't be looking for reasons to shoot, they should be looking for reasons not to.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 07:30:38 PM by Dred_lox »

Rep:
Level 97
Definitely better than Hitler.
2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2014 Best Musician2013 King of RMRK2013 Funniest Member2013 Best Musician2013 Best Use of Avatar and Signature SpaceFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Username2012 Best MusicianFor frequent good quality Wiki writing [citation needed]Most entertaining member on the IRC2011 Best Musician2011 Funniest Member2010 Most Missed Member
There's probably a lot more crime in America, so I can see the point to it.

Actually, it's the opposite. The US has a much higher population, so that can give off the impression that there is "more" crime, but crime rates in the UK are some of the highest in the world.

I agree with the rest of your post, though.

Rep:
Level 88
Unoriginal text here.

Actually, it's the opposite. The US has a much higher population, so that can give off the impression that there is "more" crime, but crime rates in the UK are some of the highest in the world.

You don't say? Jeez, and here I thought...

Well, surely the gun crime rates are higher in the US?

Rep:
Level 60
I believe any death is sad, so they shouldn't be looking for reasons to shoot, they should be looking for reasons not to.

This is something that I absolutely agree with.

Also, the violent crime rate in America has actually been steadily decreasing over time, not increasing. Lately, this has been true of every class of crime in America, actually -- crime is going down, but reports of violent crime in the news media have steadily climbed to keep the ratings up for news programs on television.

By the way, I also see why they are making these training targets, and it actually does make a lot of sense for those rare situations that a law enforcement officer may find themselves in, but I question whether or not this is a good thing. It seems to me that it just desensitizes an already jaded police force who happen to carry deadly weapons with them at all times, and... that just doesn't sit well with me.

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2014 Best Musician2013 King of RMRK2013 Funniest Member2013 Best Musician2013 Best Use of Avatar and Signature SpaceFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Username2012 Best MusicianFor frequent good quality Wiki writing [citation needed]Most entertaining member on the IRC2011 Best Musician2011 Funniest Member2010 Most Missed Member

You don't say? Jeez, and here I thought...

Well, surely the gun crime rates are higher in the US?

Yes. Significantly, of course.

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
You know, I think its all gonna be okay.
For going the distance for a balanced breakfast.Project of the Month winner for June 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2013 Best WriterSilver Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 Participant
This is true, there is significantly more gun crime in the US per capita compared to AUS, the UK or Canada. But the demographics for those crimes don't normally run toward pregnant young women or angry small children. Maybe in like, Chad or something, but not here.

I dunno. It just seems that this program is designed to train cops to shoot instead of de-fuse the situation by any other means. Ooh, preggo has a gun. BLAMM. Oooh, Junior has a gun. BLAMM. ooh, BLAMMM. Whats the next step? Hypnotherapy to totally remove remorse?

Rep:
Level 97
The next step is robots as law enforcement, obviously.

Rep:
Level 88
Unoriginal text here.
Could be a good thing. Robots don't even need to worry about their own livelihood, and you can't bribe a machine. But I guess it all depends on who writes the program.

One thing I think needs to be asked though: What parents would allow their kid to pose for somebody's target?

Rep:
Level 60

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4irHW-FY-0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4irHW-FY-0</a>

Edit: On-topic, there is actually some government research going towards creating robots for use in certain military and police activities, but that really shouldn't come as a huge shock to anyone at this point.

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Project of the Month winner for June 2009
I laughed out loud when I scrolled down and saw that prego girl with a gun.

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
Finally, my image worked. Jeez, that was a fiasco.

Meet me in the middle
Rep:
Level 89
or left of the dial.
For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam botsSecret Santa 2012 Participant
I don't really see a problem with this. It's just training under different plausible scenarios. Also, M00s, I'm pretty sure they still train for other methods of situation resolution. (Although the way that they've done it in is incredibly shit.)

Also, the source is a pile of shit. Never link to a blog as a source again. Instead of making an actual report about it they just turned it into one big opinion piece.

Last Stop
Rep:
Level 88
Everyone Off
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 92011 Biggest Drama WhoreBronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
that piece has more spin than when goose died in top gun

Rep:
Level 77
RMRK Junior
But would you shoot these?

Rabbit with gun
Oni with gun
Wolf Tengu with gun
(All are Danbooru links so NSFW)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 05:11:46 AM by dr_yuyubabe »

A-pow 2015
Rep:
Level 81
2014 Best RPG Maker User - GraphicsFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2013 Most Unsung MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.How can I help you? :Da^2 + b^2 = c^2Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 9Bronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
Yes, repeatedly.

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
2014 Queen of RMRK2014 Best RPG Maker User - StoryProject of the Year 20142011 Best Newbie2014 Kindest Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Creativity2013 Queen of RMRKBronze SS AuthorBronze Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.GOOD!For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best Yuyubabe Smiley2012 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity);o
Powertrip for a second. I have no regrets. :mad:

(Also, I'm not entirely sure that you're allowed to post links to NSFW sites outside of the sewers, but I could be mistaken.)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 05:23:53 AM by dr_yuyubabe »
Spoiler for My Games and Art:
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

The Lhuvia Tales [Current]

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Phoenix Wright: Haunted Turnabout [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
2014 Funniest MemberParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 92011 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)
NO MORE HESITATION - ADORABLE DOG ON COUCH WITH GUN

Non-traditional threat depicting a dog holding a gun. Designed to prepare officers for the worst possible situation.

I'll have too much trouble firing at this target, because the background isn't faded further highligting and highlighting the threat.