RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Keeping the spirit alive?..

RMRK's dad-in-training
Rep:
Level 72
Busy Husband, Dad, and Youth Minister
GIAW 14: 2nd Place (Easy Mode)2014 Best WriterBronze - GIAW 11 (Normal)Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.2012 Best NewbieContestant - GIAW 9
Wiimeiser, patience is key in requesting resources. People are busy and may not be able to fulfill your request. Plus, it's just a request. Unless you're willing to pay someone, you'll just have to wait.

Sorry no one has stepped up, but that's just how it is sometimes.

+rep :ladyj:

Well thanks! Back on topic:

I like to write down ideas. History, background, possible plot points. Sometimes being organized just means getting the thoughts on paper!

Rep:
Level 57
Miiiiaf =^+^=
GIAW 14: ParticipantParticipant - GIAW 11
I wants to play games!!

I hope you will try my demo out at a later date and give me some feedback! :D I have done around 20 maps so far, and 2 quests..
GIMME TEH LINK!!!!!!
Please?? Can I haves???????;9

As blonde as can be!!!
Doesn't mean I'm the dumb one...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Spoiler for supporting!:

Rep:
Level 55
Infected with the sickness.
GIMME TEH LINK!!!!!!

Hehe well I havnt put anything up yet, but I plan to post in the new Project thread later on when I have some things organized. Im not sure if I want to put up the things I have done so far, and I need to write down everything for my "New project" thread. Might put up the demo there at a later date, with lots of other information as I go along. So Ill make sure to link to that thread to you when Its up ,if you want me too of course!  ;D

Can you feel that?..

My Current Project:

I support:

Fade

Rep:
Level 57
Miiiiaf =^+^=
GIAW 14: ParticipantParticipant - GIAW 11
GIMME TEH LINK!!!!!!

Hehe well I havnt put anything up yet, but I plan to post in the new Project thread later on when I have some things organized. Im not sure if I want to put up the things I have done so far, and I need to write down everything for my "New project" thread. Might put up the demo there at a later date, with lots of other information as I go along. So Ill make sure to link to that thread to you when Its up ,if you want me too of course!  ;D

A project thread is enough for me to give some feedback already!! Also, claim the second post in the topic for updates or whatever, always useful!!
Some screenshots can get you loads of feedback as well ;)

As blonde as can be!!!
Doesn't mean I'm the dumb one...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Spoiler for supporting!:

Rep:
Level 55
A project thread is enough for me to give some feedback already!! Also, claim the second post in the topic for updates or whatever, always useful!!
Some screenshots can get you loads of feedback as well ;)

Im gonna take some time to really get the project thread down, and try put up as much information as I have at the moment, including screenshots :)
Im really thankful for the link you provided me, on guidelines on making a project thread. Gonna use it alot when I start making my own! And by the way, how will I be able to claim the second post? Do you mean so I can edit that post when I have new information and such?
Can you feel that?..

My Current Project:

I support:

Fade

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
2014 Queen of RMRKProject of the Year 20142014 Best RPG Maker User - Story2011 Best Newbie2014 Kindest Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Creativity2013 Queen of RMRKBronze SS AuthorBronze Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.GOOD!For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best Yuyubabe Smiley2012 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity);o
And by the way, how will I be able to claim the second post? Do you mean so I can edit that post when I have new information and such?

Yessir! :> After posting your main thread post, you should make a post saying "reserved" or something. :drsword:

I've heard that helps, too~
Spoiler for My Games and Art:
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

The Lhuvia Tales [Current]

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Phoenix Wright: Haunted Turnabout [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

Rep:
Level 87
I personally wouldn't worry about 'skills' so much for a first game. The maker is WYSIWYG for the most part and you can make a great game without having to know advanced formulas.

I would just focus more on originality. Have original spell names, original characters, don't copy off Final Fantasy (unless it's a FF themed game, and first games probably shouldn't be that anyway), make your own music.

When you turn a cliche on its head (like say what Buffy did, ie the general thought 'women are weaker' and thus gave them super powers, etc.) - it makes people wake up and think of something new. You don't have to be weird just to be weird, but new ideas make ppl think of new things.

Though a solid foundation is also important. Have a city/world that's relateable and likeable. My english teacher once told us to be 'pithy.'

Rep:
Level 55
I personally wouldn't worry about 'skills' so much for a first game. The maker is WYSIWYG for the most part and you can make a great game without having to know advanced formulas.

I would just focus more on originality. Have original spell names, original characters, don't copy off Final Fantasy (unless it's a FF themed game, and first games probably shouldn't be that anyway), make your own music.

When you turn a cliche on its head (like say what Buffy did, ie the general thought 'women are weaker' and thus gave them super powers, etc.) - it makes people wake up and think of something new. You don't have to be weird just to be weird, but new ideas make ppl think of new things.

Though a solid foundation is also important. Have a city/world that's relateable and likeable. My english teacher once told us to be 'pithy.'

Im a bit lost according to the skills as it is.. I dont have any clue on how I will balance my game. To be honest, math was my least favourite subject in school, and I have never been a bright student when it comes to formulas and such. I guess my only chance for a balance game will be to playtest alot, and to scale the skills by adding a.atk x random number - b.def or something.. Im making my own animated skills and the once I have done so far is turning out pretty ok.

The story of my game, might be a bit cliche, focusing on one specific person that has the most amount of impact on my worlds fate, but with a little twist that I hope will be kind of interesting. The story is also centered along an ancient civilization, that you will get to know about as the game moves on. That is the base of my story so far, but inbetween I will do my best to add some originality and to keep my world very dynamic when it comes to the people living there and so on.

Im working on my story for now, and the world that my game will take place in. Adding laws, culture and beliefs for the different locations in my game. Im also working on adding some backstory up to the events that the current world is facing.

But balancing my game will be my biggest issue for sure..

While Im at it, I sure could use some opinions on how you guys build up dialouge, with the information that you created for your characters. My characters will be very different from eachother, and have seperate viewpoints on the world they live in, and this will lead to alot of tension between my characters. Thats the basics I have so far, and I hope I can build something decent around that guideline.

Can you feel that?..

My Current Project:

I support:

Fade

Rep:
Level 82
Im a bit lost according to the skills as it is.. I dont have any clue on how I will balance my game. To be honest, math was my least favourite subject in school, and I have never been a bright student when it comes to formulas and such. I guess my only chance for a balance game will be to playtest alot, and to scale the skills by adding a.atk x random number - b.def or something.. Im making my own animated skills and the once I have done so far is turning out pretty ok.

If you aren't too sure what effect changing the formula will have, or don't want to go through tests to ensure balance in custom formulas, you could still make a few interesting skills that deal damage based on HP, MP or level, for example. These can be used to create skills that are a bit different, and are quite predictable on the damage they will deal.

So a skill which deals damage based directly on your current HP might look like:

Code: [Select]
#Deals 50% of current HP as damage
a.hp / 2
#or a.hp * 0.5 if you don't like divide

or maybe it deals damage based on how much HP is lost:

#Deals the difference in Max HP and current HP as damage
a.mhp - a.hp

Same could be done with MP. You'd want to set variance to 0 if you want the damage to be exact and not influenced by random modifiers. It's a shame that the quick formula thing is a little lacking and doesn't really reflect the things you can do with custom formula.

Another thing you could do, is get someone who has an idea about those things to help you out with skill design and balancing.
(Why do I always feel like it's the end of the world and I'm the last man standing?)

RMRK's dad-in-training
Rep:
Level 72
Busy Husband, Dad, and Youth Minister
GIAW 14: 2nd Place (Easy Mode)2014 Best WriterBronze - GIAW 11 (Normal)Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.2012 Best NewbieContestant - GIAW 9
You know disturbed, I wish I could show my first couple of projects for rpg maker (*cough* 95 *cough*). Quite frankly they were terrible. From what I see of your mapping skills you have no reason to worry about creating a game you won't be proud of. And, in the end, that's the goal anyways.

Rep:
Level 55
If you aren't too sure what effect changing the formula will have, or don't want to go through tests to ensure balance in custom formulas, you could still make a few interesting skills that deal damage based on HP, MP or level, for example. These can be used to create skills that are a bit different, and are quite predictable on the damage they will deal.

So a skill which deals damage based directly on your current HP might look like:

#Deals 50% of current HP as damage
a.hp / 2
#or a.hp * 0.5 if you don't like divide

or maybe it deals damage based on how much HP is lost:

#Deals the difference in Max HP and current HP as damage
a.mhp - a.hp

Same could be done with MP. You'd want to set variance to 0 if you want the damage to be exact and not influenced by random modifiers. It's a shame that the quick formula thing is a little lacking and doesn't really reflect the things you can do with custom formula.

Another thing you could do, is get someone who has an idea about those things to help you out with skill design and balancing.

That sounds nice, I guess Its easier to estimate how much the damage your skills will deal with that kind of system right? At the moment I think I have a bit too high numbers as it is (in skill damage), along with the stats. What is your opinion on the stat system, is it better to have weapons that will increase the stats alot, and have a lower stat progression for the characters? At the moment my stats are doubled from the default swordmaster stat retribution. I like high numbers, as you might see so I want my skills to deal lots of damage, and my enemies to have higher hp. And lastly, is that hp formula viable for enemies aswell?

I have thought about asking someone that is more experienced with balancing aswell, hopefully I might find someone that can help me out a bit on that :)

You know disturbed, I wish I could show my first couple of projects for rpg maker (*cough* 95 *cough*). Quite frankly they were terrible. From what I see of your mapping skills you have no reason to worry about creating a game you won't be proud of. And, in the end, that's the goal anyways.

I hope you are right, and Im grateful for the kind words! And you are absoluteley right, thats the goal indeed :)

As a little bit of an update:

Im working on the final parts for puting up my new project thread, just need to take some more screenshots and present some of the characters. I hope I can get some feedback on there when Its up :)
Can you feel that?..

My Current Project:

I support:

Fade

Rep:
Level 82
That sounds nice, I guess Its easier to estimate how much the damage your skills will deal with that kind of system right? At the moment I think I have a bit too high numbers as it is (in skill damage), along with the stats. What is your opinion on the stat system, is it better to have weapons that will increase the stats alot, and have a lower stat progression for the characters? At the moment my stats are doubled from the default swordmaster stat retribution. I like high numbers, as you might see so I want my skills to deal lots of damage, and my enemies to have higher hp. And lastly, is that hp formula viable for enemies aswell?

I have thought about asking someone that is more experienced with balancing aswell, hopefully I might find someone that can help me out a bit on that :)

Those will do the same for enemies. So if an enemy uses that same skill, the damage dealt will be their MaxHP - CurrentHP (ex: 12000MaxHP, 6000HP will deal 6000 damage). Because of the high numbers involved, it might better to make a copy of the skill and change the formula to balance it out. Or, make it a skill that is only used at certain times so that the player has chance to recover (failing to recover would lead to death but that's fine, that's their fault).

With the formulas, the "a.hp" or a stat based on "a" means the attacker (the one using the skill). "b" is the defender (the one being targeted). In the case of an attack which hits more than one, it's each targets individual stats.
(Why do I always feel like it's the end of the world and I'm the last man standing?)

Rep:
Level 55
Just wanted to say that my first New Project thread is up. So feel free to check it out if you want, and tell me what you think :)

Thread can be found here:
http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,47396.0.html
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 07:24:06 PM by Dizturb3d »
Can you feel that?..

My Current Project:

I support:

Fade