RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
In case you're saying "Stencyl is limited to fan games" ...

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Best Non-RM Creator2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2013 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)Participant - GIAW 112012 Best IRC Chatterbox2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Funniest Member2012 Most Successful TrollSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Best IRC Chatterbox2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Most Successful Troll
At first, Stencyl may appear to be limited to the Stencyl kits, (Mario, Megaman, Metroid, etcetera) but Stencyl is actually far from being limited. Stencyl's "Snippets" allow you to create whatever 2D idea you have. You can do anything from creating a new enemy, to creating a new attack, to creating a new battle system, to creating an entirely new kit. The possibilities are almost limitless.

Stencyl will come packed with tons of pre-designed Snippets. The best part is, you're not limited to the pre-designed Snippets.

Using and creating Snippets requires no programming knowledge. It uses an easy to understand graphical user interface. The option to code Java is still there, but it isn't required. You will have to ability to create, modify, and piece together Snippets. It's the next best thing to programming, and is said to actually save time from coding Java.

To create a basic Mario character that can walk, run, jump, be subjected to gravity, be able to hit, be able to stomp enemies and be able to shoot fireballs, you would simply have to apply the following;
quote removed lol

Maybe you've created a new system with snippets, and you want to share it with everyone. Sharing the system will be no problem. You can borrow content from other games, unless the game creator doesn't allow it. Maybe you saw a neat HUD. You would be able to use it in your own game!

I advise that you read more from This Topic.
I advise that you read This Topic.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 01:51:49 AM by Irock »

A blessing
Rep:
Level 91
<3 Back.
I am going to love this.  And Java?  OMG, just when I started to want to learn Java seriously.  I am definitely going to love this.  :)

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Best Non-RM Creator2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2013 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)Participant - GIAW 112012 Best IRC Chatterbox2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Funniest Member2012 Most Successful TrollSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Best IRC Chatterbox2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Most Successful Troll
Quote from: dollmage
wow didnt notice there was a stencyl @_@ Thread here Cheesy kewl!

yeah they have different kits

RPG
Platform
Shooter and loads more

+ there are available free game kits

such as bluebomber = megaman games
jumpman = mario
jtactics = fire emblem
4got the name but its for a seikendetsu (kinda like classic legend of zelda but better both from snes games)
etc etc etc

and i luv the idea of them using java ^_^ that would be grate ^_^ hehehe
Even though you deleted your post for some reason.

Remember, we aren't limited just to the kits others create. Users will be able to create their own kits and games through Snippets. You could create your own Sonic kit through Snippets, create a Legend Of Zelda kit, or if you have an original idea, you could make your idea come to life through Stencyl without any programming knowledge.

Rep:
Level 87
Is there any idea as to when it's coming out? I'm really looking forward to this. :D

Rep:
Level 102
Is there any idea as to when it's coming out? I'm really looking forward to this. :D
Most likely this year. Jon (project founder) mentioned a beta this year.

Totalidiot
Rep:
Level 86
Nayr "Total" Infinity
Wow. I looked at their website and I must say I'm definitelly getting this. This just looks amazing, and probably blows GameMaker right out of the water.

Resident Cloud
Rep:
Level 91
snippet == method
method == script piece
script pieces == script

Therefore snippets(plural)*n == script

so how is this a new feature?

« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 02:14:37 PM by ahref »

Rep:
Level 98
2010 Best Veteran2014 King of RMRK2014 Favorite Staff Member2014 Best Counsel2014 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2014 Most Mature Member2014 Best Writer2013 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.Secret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Best Writer2011 Best Counsel2010 Best Writer2010 Funniest Member
Stencyl seems limited to fan games.
you awoke in a burning paperhouse
from the infinite fields of dreamless sleep

Rep:
Level 88
Paradoxial failboats are cool.
Stencyl ISN'T limited to fan games. You can use your own graphics and use different snippets. It's just very useful for fan games cause of the existing kits within the program.
The message below is false.
The message above is true.

Rep:
Level 102
snippet == method
method == script piece
script pieces == script

The fact that you don't have to know how to script.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Rep:
Level 96
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
GIAW 14: 2nd Place (Hard Mode)2013 Biggest Drama Whore2013 Zero to HeroParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
I don't care what all you haters say. I'm glad it's coming out, it's the only maker I've found coming out for Linux.
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Rep:
Level 98
2010 Best Veteran2014 King of RMRK2014 Favorite Staff Member2014 Best Counsel2014 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2014 Most Mature Member2014 Best Writer2013 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.Secret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Best Writer2011 Best Counsel2010 Best Writer2010 Funniest Member
you awoke in a burning paperhouse
from the infinite fields of dreamless sleep

Rep:
Level 97
Definitely better than Hitler.
2014 Best Musician2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Funniest Member2013 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Best Musician2013 King of RMRKFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Musician2012 Best UsernameFor frequent good quality Wiki writing [citation needed]2011 Funniest Member2011 Best MusicianMost entertaining member on the IRC2010 Most Missed Member
It's still going to suck so much. It will come out and everyone will be like RAWR THIS IS SO COOL. 2 months later everyone will forget about it.

Also Jon sucks.

Stencyl will suck almost as much as Jon.
:tinysmile:

Resident Cloud
Rep:
Level 91
snippet == method
method == script piece
script pieces == script

The fact that you don't have to know how to script.

for scripts to mesh together like cogs in a gear system they need like inputs and outputs if these go wrong the scripts wont be compatible with each other.

you didnt have to know how to script in any previous game maker in existence if you didnt want to so once again THIS IS NOT A NEW FEATURE

Rep:
Level 97
Definitely better than Hitler.
2014 Best Musician2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Funniest Member2013 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Best Musician2013 King of RMRKFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Musician2012 Best UsernameFor frequent good quality Wiki writing [citation needed]2011 Funniest Member2011 Best MusicianMost entertaining member on the IRC2010 Most Missed Member
BUT JON SAYS HE KNOWS WHAT HE'S DOING :V
:tinysmile:

Rep:
Level 87
He does. He knows exactly what he's doing.  ;)

Resident Cloud
Rep:
Level 91
has jon any previous software development experience?

Rep:
Level 87
http://www.thegaminguniverse.com/smf/index.php?topic=35787.0 (Really old)

That's all I can find, to tell the truth, but you should read his articles at GU. (Just start from page 60, and keep clicking until you get to the first one XD)

:EDIT:
Never mind, it would seem the articles have since been retracted and/or deleted. I guess that would make sense, seeing as how they were posted in 2006. :/
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 03:30:45 AM by RMXPokemaniac »

Rep:
Level 86
CHAINSAW!!
cant wait till its fully released... then i can see if its worth all the fuss. if it is, i plan on mastering the script language that it uses (like that will happen  ;D)
I have:
GM7
RPGXP
RPGVX
FPS Creator
Cube 2
3D Gamemaker (SHITBOX!)

WIP stats:
RPGVX:
none, just experimenting with random events...

Rep:
Level 88
Stencyl will be what Stencyl will be. We won't know what it will be like till its released. Right now, to me this is what it seems like...

Good for fan games, but not limited to them.

If the snippet system is easy, that's wonderful. If it's not, I'm sure we'll deal.

That's my opinion. Take that and a few million dollars and go buy yourself a nuke. Then launch it at yourself.

I love Firerain
Rep:
Level 97
=D
It's still going to suck so much. It will come out and everyone will be like RAWR THIS IS SO COOL. 2 months later everyone will forget about it.

Also Jon sucks.

Agree with both, especially Halo cuz he's actually true.

edit: I also think that once it's realesed, the "FREE" sign won;t stay
Arlen is hot.

Rep:
Level 87
Quote from: Nightwolf
Quote from: HaloOfTheSun

Also Jon sucks.

Quote from: Anski

Agree with both, especially Halo cuz he's actually true.

edit: I also think that once it's realesed, the "FREE" sign won;t stay

First one, yes, that's always in the realm of possibilities, but you never know, do you? If not, don't act like you do. :/

Second one, things are rarely what they seem. ;)

Finally, Nightwolf, no. That's definitely not happening.

I love Firerain
Rep:
Level 97
=D
I can bet you (maybe not 2 months-maybe a year) But stencyl will become a pay-to-get thingy if the makers see that it's gaining so much popularity
Arlen is hot.

Rep:
Level 88
I can bet you (maybe not 2 months-maybe a year) But stencyl will become a pay-to-get thingy if the makers see that it's gaining so much popularity
Don't be so sure. Ever heard of Eclipse? Its really popular. It's been popular for about a year or 2. It's still free. To show how popular it is... Their forum stats:
Quote from: Eclipse Forum Stats
181,489 Posts in 18,160 Topics by 6,163 Members.
Oh, and about 75% of those posts are Eclipse-related.

Just because something is popular doesn't mean it won't be free.

Rep:
Level 102
The team said they will NEVER charge for Stencyl. Jon wants to bring the best game creation program to everyone. Charging for the program would only hurt his goal.