RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
In case you're saying "Stencyl is limited to fan games" ...

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Best Non-RM Creator2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2013 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)Participant - GIAW 112012 Best IRC Chatterbox2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Funniest Member2012 Most Successful TrollSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Best IRC Chatterbox2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Most Successful Troll
At first, Stencyl may appear to be limited to the Stencyl kits, (Mario, Megaman, Metroid, etcetera) but Stencyl is actually far from being limited. Stencyl's "Snippets" allow you to create whatever 2D idea you have. You can do anything from creating a new enemy, to creating a new attack, to creating a new battle system, to creating an entirely new kit. The possibilities are almost limitless.

Stencyl will come packed with tons of pre-designed Snippets. The best part is, you're not limited to the pre-designed Snippets.

Using and creating Snippets requires no programming knowledge. It uses an easy to understand graphical user interface. The option to code Java is still there, but it isn't required. You will have to ability to create, modify, and piece together Snippets. It's the next best thing to programming, and is said to actually save time from coding Java.

To create a basic Mario character that can walk, run, jump, be subjected to gravity, be able to hit, be able to stomp enemies and be able to shoot fireballs, you would simply have to apply the following;
quote removed lol

Maybe you've created a new system with snippets, and you want to share it with everyone. Sharing the system will be no problem. You can borrow content from other games, unless the game creator doesn't allow it. Maybe you saw a neat HUD. You would be able to use it in your own game!

I advise that you read more from This Topic.
I advise that you read This Topic.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 01:51:49 AM by Irock »

A blessing
Rep:
Level 91
<3 Back.
I am going to love this.  And Java?  OMG, just when I started to want to learn Java seriously.  I am definitely going to love this.  :)

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Best Non-RM Creator2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2013 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)Participant - GIAW 112012 Best IRC Chatterbox2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Funniest Member2012 Most Successful TrollSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Best IRC Chatterbox2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Most Successful Troll
Quote from: dollmage
wow didnt notice there was a stencyl @_@ Thread here Cheesy kewl!

yeah they have different kits

RPG
Platform
Shooter and loads more

+ there are available free game kits

such as bluebomber = megaman games
jumpman = mario
jtactics = fire emblem
4got the name but its for a seikendetsu (kinda like classic legend of zelda but better both from snes games)
etc etc etc

and i luv the idea of them using java ^_^ that would be grate ^_^ hehehe
Even though you deleted your post for some reason.

Remember, we aren't limited just to the kits others create. Users will be able to create their own kits and games through Snippets. You could create your own Sonic kit through Snippets, create a Legend Of Zelda kit, or if you have an original idea, you could make your idea come to life through Stencyl without any programming knowledge.

Rep:
Level 87
Is there any idea as to when it's coming out? I'm really looking forward to this. :D

Rep:
Level 102
Is there any idea as to when it's coming out? I'm really looking forward to this. :D
Most likely this year. Jon (project founder) mentioned a beta this year.

Totalidiot
Rep:
Level 86
Nayr "Total" Infinity
Wow. I looked at their website and I must say I'm definitelly getting this. This just looks amazing, and probably blows GameMaker right out of the water.

Resident Cloud
Rep:
Level 91
snippet == method
method == script piece
script pieces == script

Therefore snippets(plural)*n == script

so how is this a new feature?

« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 02:14:37 PM by ahref »

Rep:
Level 98
2010 Best Veteran2014 King of RMRK2014 Favorite Staff Member2014 Best Counsel2014 Best Writer2014 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2014 Most Mature Member2013 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.Secret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Best Counsel2011 Best Writer2010 Best Writer2010 Funniest Member
Stencyl seems limited to fan games.
you awoke in a burning paperhouse
from the infinite fields of dreamless sleep

Rep:
Level 88
Paradoxial failboats are cool.
Stencyl ISN'T limited to fan games. You can use your own graphics and use different snippets. It's just very useful for fan games cause of the existing kits within the program.
The message below is false.
The message above is true.

Rep:
Level 102
snippet == method
method == script piece
script pieces == script

The fact that you don't have to know how to script.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Rep:
Level 96
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
GIAW 14: 2nd Place (Hard Mode)2013 Biggest Drama Whore2013 Zero to HeroParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
I don't care what all you haters say. I'm glad it's coming out, it's the only maker I've found coming out for Linux.
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Rep:
Level 98
2010 Best Veteran2014 King of RMRK2014 Favorite Staff Member2014 Best Counsel2014 Best Writer2014 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2014 Most Mature Member2013 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.Secret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Best Counsel2011 Best Writer2010 Best Writer2010 Funniest Member

Rep:
Level 97
Definitely better than Hitler.
2014 Best Musician2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Funniest Member2013 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Best Musician2013 King of RMRKFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Musician2012 Best UsernameFor frequent good quality Wiki writing [citation needed]Most entertaining member on the IRC2011 Best Musician2011 Funniest Member2010 Most Missed Member
It's still going to suck so much. It will come out and everyone will be like RAWR THIS IS SO COOL. 2 months later everyone will forget about it.

Also Jon sucks.

Stencyl will suck almost as much as Jon.
:tinysmile:

Resident Cloud
Rep:
Level 91
snippet == method
method == script piece
script pieces == script

The fact that you don't have to know how to script.

for scripts to mesh together like cogs in a gear system they need like inputs and outputs if these go wrong the scripts wont be compatible with each other.

you didnt have to know how to script in any previous game maker in existence if you didnt want to so once again THIS IS NOT A NEW FEATURE

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Best Musician2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Funniest Member2013 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Best Musician2013 King of RMRKFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Musician2012 Best UsernameFor frequent good quality Wiki writing [citation needed]Most entertaining member on the IRC2011 Best Musician2011 Funniest Member2010 Most Missed Member
BUT JON SAYS HE KNOWS WHAT HE'S DOING :V

Rep:
Level 87
He does. He knows exactly what he's doing.  ;)

Resident Cloud
Rep:
Level 91
has jon any previous software development experience?

Rep:
Level 87
http://www.thegaminguniverse.com/smf/index.php?topic=35787.0 (Really old)

That's all I can find, to tell the truth, but you should read his articles at GU. (Just start from page 60, and keep clicking until you get to the first one XD)

:EDIT:
Never mind, it would seem the articles have since been retracted and/or deleted. I guess that would make sense, seeing as how they were posted in 2006. :/
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 03:30:45 AM by RMXPokemaniac »

Rep:
Level 86
CHAINSAW!!
cant wait till its fully released... then i can see if its worth all the fuss. if it is, i plan on mastering the script language that it uses (like that will happen  ;D)
I have:
GM7
RPGXP
RPGVX
FPS Creator
Cube 2
3D Gamemaker (SHITBOX!)

WIP stats:
RPGVX:
none, just experimenting with random events...

Rep:
Level 88
Stencyl will be what Stencyl will be. We won't know what it will be like till its released. Right now, to me this is what it seems like...

Good for fan games, but not limited to them.

If the snippet system is easy, that's wonderful. If it's not, I'm sure we'll deal.

That's my opinion. Take that and a few million dollars and go buy yourself a nuke. Then launch it at yourself.

I love Firerain
Rep:
Level 97
=D
It's still going to suck so much. It will come out and everyone will be like RAWR THIS IS SO COOL. 2 months later everyone will forget about it.

Also Jon sucks.

Agree with both, especially Halo cuz he's actually true.

edit: I also think that once it's realesed, the "FREE" sign won;t stay
Arlen is hot.

Rep:
Level 87
Quote from: Nightwolf
Quote from: HaloOfTheSun

Also Jon sucks.

Quote from: Anski

Agree with both, especially Halo cuz he's actually true.

edit: I also think that once it's realesed, the "FREE" sign won;t stay

First one, yes, that's always in the realm of possibilities, but you never know, do you? If not, don't act like you do. :/

Second one, things are rarely what they seem. ;)

Finally, Nightwolf, no. That's definitely not happening.

I love Firerain
Rep:
Level 97
=D
I can bet you (maybe not 2 months-maybe a year) But stencyl will become a pay-to-get thingy if the makers see that it's gaining so much popularity
Arlen is hot.

Rep:
Level 88
I can bet you (maybe not 2 months-maybe a year) But stencyl will become a pay-to-get thingy if the makers see that it's gaining so much popularity
Don't be so sure. Ever heard of Eclipse? Its really popular. It's been popular for about a year or 2. It's still free. To show how popular it is... Their forum stats:
Quote from: Eclipse Forum Stats
181,489 Posts in 18,160 Topics by 6,163 Members.
Oh, and about 75% of those posts are Eclipse-related.

Just because something is popular doesn't mean it won't be free.

Rep:
Level 102
The team said they will NEVER charge for Stencyl. Jon wants to bring the best game creation program to everyone. Charging for the program would only hurt his goal.

I love Firerain
Rep:
Level 97
=D
Jon said that?

Oh, then it's true.

sory~
Arlen is hot.

Rep:
Level 97
The team said they will NEVER charge for Stencyl. Jon wants to bring the best game creation program to everyone. Charging for the program would only hurt his goal.

It would only be hurting it if it were actually the best game creation program, which it isn't, and it won't be.

<3
Rep:
Level 86
I'm my own personal tentacle monster.
It would only be hurting it if it were actually the best game creation program, which it isn't, and it won't be.

I will laugh if it actually turns out to blow everything else out of the water. :P

Looking forward to this.  Can't wait for the beta.  <3

I love Firerain
Rep:
Level 97
=D

lol yeah. It's like..everyone is like "ZOMG STENCYL ZOMG ZOMG" but in a few days everyone gets bored of it.

I'm not against it, i'm just saying that don't get over-excited about Stencyl.

Arlen is hot.

Rep:
Level 102

lol yeah. It's like..everyone is like "ZOMG STENCYL ZOMG ZOMG" but in a few days everyone gets bored of it.

<Irock> Are we getting over excited about Stencyl, Stephen?
<Stephen> Sorry?
<Irock> Everyone is excited about Stencyl
<Irock> But are we over excited?
<Irock> Are we expecting too much?
<Stephen> We hope not :)
<Stephen> We've been honest about what's in and what isn't in the 1.0 program

So if you're aware of everything in the 1.0 program, and you're excited, you shouldn't be disappointed when Stencyl is released.

Resident Cloud
Rep:
Level 91

<Stephen> Sorry?

So if you're aware of everything in the 1.0 program, and you're excited, you shouldn't be disappointed when Stencyl is released.

whats in 1.0 and whats not isnt the point. It could have all the features you could think of and it may still suck :(.

atm im tempted to call vaporware.

a perfect example is final fantasy 12 packed full of features and minigames but WHERE THE FUCK IS THE STORYLINE.

Rep:
Level 102

<Stephen> Sorry?

whats in 1.0 and whats not isnt the point. It could have all the features you could think of and it may still suck :(.

atm im tempted to call vaporware.

a perfect example is final fantasy 12 packed full of features and minigames but WHERE THE FUCK IS THE STORYLINE.
Why not stop posting things that could be wrong with Stencyl, and actually ask them yourself?

Resident Cloud
Rep:
Level 91
becasue wed meet a solid wall of zealots :D

Shadow Knight
Rep:
Level 91
Ruin that brick wall!
Project of the Month winner for October 2008
And thus we wait under the arltree for the coming of Stencyl.
*lies in wait*
Be kind, everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

I love Firerain
Rep:
Level 97
=D
Irock, you have no right to dissaprove our opinions and tell us to stop posting them

we think stencyl sucks so we beleive it.

And we aren't saying it SUCKS, atleast i'm not. I'm saying it;ll come like a wave and get washed down in about 1 month or something
Arlen is hot.

Rep:
Level 102
Irock, you have no right to dissaprove our opinions and tell us to stop posting them

we think stencyl sucks so we beleive it.

And we aren't saying it SUCKS, atleast i'm not. I'm saying it;ll come like a wave and get washed down in about 1 month or something
I'd rather people give their opinions to the Stencyl Team, and wait for a response. They love to hear opinions, especially the well thought out ones.

I love Firerain
Rep:
Level 97
=D
They love to hear opinions, especially the well thought out ones.

ARE YOU BEING SARCASTIC TO ME YOU LITTLE IROCK.
Arlen is hot.

Rep:
Level 102
They love to hear opinions, especially the well thought out ones.

ARE YOU BEING SARCASTIC TO ME YOU LITTLE IROCK.
Not at all. The team loves receiving feedback from the community. It helps further improve their program.

I love Firerain
Rep:
Level 97
=D
Good.
I may register tomorrow and have a quick word with Jon XD

jk, but i do know him in real~
Arlen is hot.

Resident Cloud
Rep:
Level 91
irock, the stencyl dev team live and breath stencyl their hardly going to like us marching in their telling them there doing it wrong. Its a bit like trying to take a toy of a child or a bone of a dog. Try it and theres tantrumns and bodily fluids all over the place

Rep:
Level 98

Rep:
Level 102
irock, the stencyl dev team live and breath stencyl their hardly going to like us marching in their telling them there doing it wrong. Its a bit like trying to take a toy of a child or a bone of a dog. Try it and theres tantrumns and bodily fluids all over the place
Actually, you have it all wrong. They REALLY enjoy criticism.

Resident Cloud
Rep:
Level 91
they enjoy it because they know that the criticizer is the minority being that there on a forum/irc room full of zealots.

the fallacy : http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/appeal-to-popularity.html

will be overused.

its much easier convincing the above of how he shouldnt become a zealot of everything with the words  "inovative" and "new" plastered on them

Rep:
Level 102
they enjoy it because they know that the criticizer is the minority being that there on a forum/irc room full of zealots.

the fallacy : http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/appeal-to-popularity.html

will be overused.

its much easier convincing the above of how he shouldnt become a zealot of everything with the words  "inovative" and "new" plastered on them
Your entire post is a simple guess. The team likes receiving opinions. The majority of the people on the Stencyl forums are like "OMG STENCYL IS PERFECT." Trust me, the team would rather get well thought out criticism. I've seen Jon talk about offering someone a spot in the beta because he gave some well thought out criticism. They don't get a lot of it, and they don't have a problem with it. 

Resident Cloud
Rep:
Level 91
so what your saying is i should march into stencyl HQ and go your product will fail and thell like it.

... sick fuckers.

Rep:
Level 102
so what your saying is i should march into stencyl HQ and go your product will fail and thell like it.

... sick fuckers.
They'll like it if you give well thought out criticism.

And Stencyl doesn't have an HQ. x_x

Resident Cloud
Rep:
Level 91
stencyl.com.

Rep:
Level 102
Normally a headquarters refers to an actual building or room, but alright.

Rep:
Level 98
I posted in this thread and now it's gone  ;8

Rep:
Level 87
Irock is completely right. Jon would love well thought-out criticism. Just don't go in there and say "stencl sux... lul." Nobody likes that. :/

And Stencyl doesn't have an HQ. x_x
Jon's house. XD

Rep:
Level 97
I doubt their responses would be any different than Irock's. i.e. they'll just give us statistics and features and pros to try and outweigh the cons, without giving any real argument.

Rep:
Level 87
So why don't you just find out already? All you're doing is sitting around here saying what you think they'd say instead of actually going to them and telling them why you think Stencyl won't succeed. I mean, come on.

Rep:
Level 97
lol I'm actually just aggravating Irock. I actually don't know anything about Stencyl. He knows it's in good fun.

OR IS IT?

WHAT I DO KNOW IS THIS:

1.Stencyl is limited to fan games.

2.Stencyl sucks.

3.Irock has a foul odor emitting from his mouthal area.

4.There is no number 4.

5.Jon doesn't understand snippets will cause many compatibility issues.

6.Stencyl will never be popular.

8|

I love Firerain
Rep:
Level 97
=D
Also, if i get about 10 people with me i'd join the forums with them and then there'd be 10 critisizers.

Jon would love that.

Jon loves everything.

Arlen is hot.

Resident Cloud
Rep:
Level 91
yay halo understands the compatibility problem.

I love Firerain
Rep:
Level 97
=D
Irock, stencyl is limited to fan games.
I know that JON won't provide any extra resources but the ones in the "Jumperman" pack and all.
just ask JON to provide extra resources too. Then it'll suck less.
And i'm capitalizing JON cuz i like the name and not because i hate him.
Arlen is hot.

Rep:
Level 102
Mind cutting down on the non-seriousness? This isn't The Sewers. ~_~

Rep:
Level 87
I eat babies :o
Stencyl isn't limited to fan games >_> Unless your imagination is that incapable then yes.

Rep:
Level 102
Stencyl isn't limited to fan games >_> Unless your imagination is that incapable then yes.
In that case your mind is limited to creating fan games, not the program itself.

Rep:
Level 87
Exactly what he just said. lol

I love Firerain
Rep:
Level 97
=D
There, i asked them.

lets wait and watch~
and no, irock. let jon and all answer this
Arlen is hot.

Rep:
Level 102
There, i asked them.

lets wait and watch~
and no, irock. let jon and all answer this
And you got the official answer. >:3

Rep:
Level 98
Stop deleting my posts, i'm stating that there is no evidence that stencyl doesn't seem limited to fan games.

Rep:
Level 102
Stop deleting my posts, i'm stating that there is no evidence that stencyl doesn't seem limited to fan games.
You're not posting serious posts, and something seeming some way is a matter of opinion.

Rep:
Level 98
You're not posting serious posts, and something seeming some way is a matter of opinion.

/facepalm

I'm saying that your evidence has not proved to me that Stencyl will be capable of making quality original games that are not breaking a copyright intellectual license.

Rep:
Level 97
It seems Stencyl is limited to fan games. We have evidence to prove this:

All examples explaining or demonstrating Stencyl are fan games.

Evidence against it:

... "Stencyl can be used to make any 2D game. We will give you generic resources!"

Rep:
Level 102

/facepalm

I'm saying that your evidence has not proved to me that Stencyl will be capable of making quality original games that are not breaking a copyright intellectual license.
Besides them saying that you can import your custom resources and create your game's features from the ground up. I'm sure we shouldn't believe them at all. They're probably lying to us to ruin their reputation when Stencyl is actually out, if it ever DOES come out. Hell they could be lying about the whole thing. If a game developer announces that the main character will have a sword, we shouldn't believe him, unless the game is already out. The game developer could actually be lying for no reason at all! ::)

Rep:
Level 98

/facepalm

Besides them saying that you can import your custom resources and create your game's features from the ground up. I'm sure we shouldn't believe them at all. They're probably lying to us to ruin their reputation when Stencyl is actually out, if it ever DOES come out. Hell they could be lying about the whole thing. If a game developer announces that the main character will have a sword, we shouldn't believe him, unless the game is already out. The game developer could actually be lying for no reason at all! ::)

Exactly.

Rep:
Level 102
Topic served it's purpose.

Resident Cloud
Rep:
Level 91

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
2014 Funniest MemberParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 92011 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)
Too much hype. Stencyl might turn out to be a good program, but it's not going to be anywhere near the godliness they all make it out to be.

I love Firerain
Rep:
Level 97
=D
The forum says it has a program where member make resources and they won't be provinding many resources besides the kits.

also

Stencyl seems limited to fan games doesn't it?
Arlen is hot.

Rep:
Level 102
We can't argue whether or not Stencyl seems limited to fan games, because that's a matter of opinion. The fact is, according to the Stencyl team, Stencyl isn't limited to fangames, since you can import your own graphics and define how the game functions. Sure, they could be lying about it all, but there's no way to argue about that either, since you can't prove them right or wrong. The only thing we really have to go by is their word. I'm simply reporting on what they have said.

The forum says it has a program where member make resources
They plan to create a site/area for resources, called StencylForge.

they won't be provinding many resources besides the kits.
I believe Jon said, "There will be some generic resources that are suitable for acting as placeholders for games. Of course, it's not recommended that you ship your game with them since it'd look too generic." He never commented on the amount of resources they would include.

Also, there's a new topic in the FAQs.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2008, 10:10:01 PM by Irock »

I love Firerain
Rep:
Level 97
=D
some.

And why cant we ship them. I dun see anything wrong with a "rtp" style game
Arlen is hot.

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
2014 Funniest MemberParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 92011 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)
"There will be some generic resources that are suitable for acting as placeholders for games. Of course, it's not recommended that you ship your game with them since it'd look too generic." He never commented on the amount of resources they would include.

It's not recommended that you use the program for what it's been advertised to do?

Resident Cloud
Rep:
Level 91
and we choose not to go by their words.

do remember that fan games are not limited to the resources they use but their concepts

I love Firerain
Rep:
Level 97
=D
"There will be some generic resources that are suitable for acting as placeholders for games. Of course, it's not recommended that you ship your game with them since it'd look too generic." He never commented on the amount of resources they would include.

It's not recommended that you use the program for what it's been advertised to do?

well he explained it better ;-;
Arlen is hot.

Rep:
Level 102

It's not recommended to use the RTP, since it will make your game seem too generic. I'd rather play a game with custom graphics, but no one's stopping you from doing it.

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>

It's not recommended to use the RTP, since it will make your game seem too generic. I'd rather play a game with custom graphics, but no one's stopping you from doing it.

Then why are they advertising fan games if their goal is to prove that Stencyl isn't primarily for fan games?

Rep:
Level 102

Then why are they advertising fan games if their goal is to prove that Stencyl isn't primarily for fan games?
The aren't advertising fan games. They're simply providing us with kits to create fan games. though they would rather us create original games. Why not try asking them? :x

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
Every in-game video, screenshot, etc. has been of a fan game, be it Mario, Megaman, or otherwise. Their demonstrations and explanations revolve around fan games, like how they explained how to make a Mario character using Snippets. There has been absolutely no proof that Stencyl is capable of designing anything besides fan games, because every game advertised in conjunction with Stencyl is a fan game. Their Kit discussions support and encourage people who suggest Kits that emulate a certain game, so that fan games can be made from it. So far you've claimed what Stencyl is capable of, but the only evidence you have to back it up are comments from Stencyl's developers, and unless you expect me to buy into the hype then I don't see how you can prove at all that Stencyl isn't primarily fan-game design software.

Rep:
Level 87
Every in-game video, screenshot, etc. has been of a fan game, be it Mario, Megaman, or otherwise.
That's absolutely correct. However, all if not most of the images and videos which you speak of came from the time when Stencyl was more fan-game oriented. If you haven't noticed, Stencyl has been moving further and further away from its fan-game making origins.

Their demonstrations and explanations revolve around fan games, like how they explained how to make a Mario character using Snippets.
Well, would you rather Jon said, "So, to make a guy who comes to life, walks/runs, is affected by gravity, can jump, can be hit by enemies, and can stomp on enemies, all you have to do is make an entity and attach all of those snippets to it," or, "To make Mario, all you have to do is make an entity and add a walk snippet, run snippet, etc.," Now, I see the latter as a far better approach as Stencyl is a game making platform. Simply take a character from a game who is universally recognized and use it as an example.

There has been absolutely no proof that Stencyl is capable of designing anything besides fan games, because every game advertised in conjunction with Stencyl is a fan game. Their Kit discussions support and encourage people who suggest Kits that emulate a certain game, so that fan games can be made from it.
Stencyl announced back during the second project address that the fan kits were being replaced by genre kits, with the fan kits simply being collections of pre-built maps, entities, etc., that would be released for the fitting genre kit by Polyhedron Designs (which has been completely unaffiliated with Stencyl, LLC). (Unaffiliated may not be the right word here, but.. meh...)

So far you've claimed what Stencyl is capable of, but the only evidence you have to back it up are comments from Stencyl's developers, and unless you expect me to buy into the hype then I don't see how you can prove at all that Stencyl isn't primarily fan-game design software.
Well, whether you believe a word of what Irock says is up to you, but if Stencyl was limited to fan-games, it's still open source. People would come along and expand its boundaries (of which I don't see too many at the moment, except for the non-3D one).

Anyway, really, what is all the argument about. It's like, "Stencyl is limited to fan-games."

"No it isn't."

"Yes it is."

"No it isn't."

o_O
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 12:23:19 AM by RMXPokemaniac »

Rep:
Level 102
Malson, note how I said:

The only thing we really have to go by is their word. I'm simply reporting on what they have said.

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
Well, you're the one who made this thread. If you're trying to convince us of anything you're going to have to provide something convincing.

Rep:
Level 102
Well, you're the one who made this thread. If you're trying to convince us of anything you're going to have to provide something convincing.
If their word isn't convincing enough, then I suppose you don't have to believe them.

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
guys I'm making a firefox extension that cooks breakfast for you here's proof

Rep:
Level 102

Everything they have claimed is actually plausible.

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
I think you're missing my point.

Rep:
Level 102
I think you're missing my point.
Your point is that I have no proof of it not being limited to fan games, and I agree.

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
well, then this thread exists as nothing more than propaganda!

Rep:
Level 102
well, then this thread exists as nothing more than propaganda!
I created it to inform people, but everyone felt the need to debate, which is why I originally locked it.

Rep:
Level 98
Guys i'm making a program that will allow you to crash your computer, or anyone elses you want, as long as you collect their IP address.

Rep:
Level 87
Really though, it is such a silly thing to argue about. Once Stencyl comes out (or if it comes out, for those of you who think that way), we'll have another game maker. Yay, right? So what's the big deal? If it's limited to fan games, so be it. If not, all the better. So, I'm guessing we're arguing for the sake of arguing, right? o_O

I love Firerain
Rep:
Level 97
=D
Oh c'mon, you have their word. Omg we all trust Jon so much. If tomorrow jon says that your dog fell in a pool and drowned, it's true cuz like we have his word.

People lie in this world for fame and that won't ever change cuz thats how this big ball revolves [/philosophy]
Their demonstrations and explanations revolve around fan games, like how they explained how to make a Mario character using Snippets.
Well, would you rather Jon said, "So, to make a guy who comes to life, walks/runs, is affected by gravity, can jump, can be hit by enemies, and can stomp on enemies, all you have to do is make an entity and attach all of those snippets to it," or, "To make Mario, all you have to do is make an entity and add a walk snippet, run snippet, etc.," Now, I see the latter as a far better approach as Stencyl is a game making platform. Simply take a character from a game who is universally recognized and use it as an example.

Yes, that's what we call a fan game. Take someone else but Mario. Make your own series, name it something but Jumpman (which was Mario's initial name but they changed it later on) or atleast change the sprites.
C'mon Jon don't do this to us.

Anyway, really, what is all the argument about. It's like, "Stencyl is limited to fan-games."

"No it isn't."

"Yes it is."

"No it isn't."

o_O

See, that's how an arguement or a debate goes. One guys says a point, the other objects to it.

Well, even if Stencyl isn't limited to fan games, the hype it's getting is not going to last after like 2 months of its realse.

And it may become a pay-to-play thing.
Arlen is hot.

Rep:
Level 87
About pay-to-play... no. If you want to believe that Stencyl will be limited to fan games, go ahead, but it will never become pay-to-play. It couldn't be, because Stencyl is open-source. <_< >_>

Rep:
Level 102
And it may become a pay-to-play thing.
According to the Stencyl team, they will never charge for the program.

Basically, your only argument now is that "Jon could be lying." No one disagrees that he could be lying. But this doesn't prove that Stencyl is only capable of creating fangames. It seems like you're arguing for the sake of arguing, instead of actually trying to prove a point, which you've failed to do. I'm simply not going to allow everyone to post "JON COULD BE LYING ABOUT THE WHOLE THING" every time I update you all on some Stencyl information. There's no reason for pushing the fact that someone could be lying. It's like you're trying to convince me that the moon orbits around the earth. It's common knowledge that someone could be lying. Though for some reason you keep pushing it, as if it were actual evidence that Stencyl is limited to fan games. Just because you don't "buy into the hype" doesn't mean you have to prove to us that Stencyl could fail miserably. "Anything is possible" is a lame excuse for an argument, especially when there's nothing to argue about.

You guys can believe what you want.

I love Firerain
Rep:
Level 97
=D
THANK YOU IROCK. FINALLY YOU REALISED OUR POINT.

We beleive stencyl sucks and is limited to fan games so there. Let us believe in peace plz
Arlen is hot.

Resident Cloud
Rep:
Level 91

that breakfast looks horrible :(

SHOOP DA WOOPED :D
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 06:12:25 PM by ahref »

Rep:
Level 97
Irock and myself had a pretty good discussion one day in IRC about this. Let me see if I can find the logs for it. Meh, nvm.

Essentially Malson shares the same viewpoint as I do, and pretty much said to Irock in this topic what I said to him in IRC. Only in IRC, Irock seemed to finally understand what I was saying (perhaps to end the conversation) whereas here he did not.

But the main problem I have is that Irock (and anyone else) defends this program so much when they have no tangible information. No, what Jon has told you is not tangible information because no proof has been provided. In fact the only proof you have of anything, as Malson said, is that this is capable and seemingly geared towards making fan games. While that may not be the intention of the creators, they are certainly advertising it that way, while at the same time saying "This is not limited to fan games. Look, you can make a Mario game."

So what information do Stencyl supporters have? Nothing. Not a single thing. They only know what Jon has told them. But he doesn't supply proof because he doesn't want to "build up hype" or advertise something that may not end up in the final product. Which is pretty silly if you think about it. By not trying to "build up hype", they've accomplished nothing. Supporters such as Irock have been building it up anyway and will likely be very disappointed when/if it is released.

But I have sidetracked myself.

Stencyl supporters believe everything they are told and defend this program anytime anyone questions anything about it. Some of us are merely saying "Stencyl seems limited to fangames". This is true. It seems that way because that is how it is presented. Yet we don't get proof otherwise. We get fanboys wetting their pants and telling us we're wrong. And ahref, who is intelligent enough to know, questioned the snippets, due to them likely causing compatibility issues. Instead of providing proof otherwise, or maybe even seeing the obvious here and agreeing with ahref and asking the Stencyl team about it, we get "SNIPPETS AREN'T SCRIPTING YOU JUST TAKE BITS OF SCRIPT AND PUT IT TOGETHER". Which, even if there were no compatibility issues, I hate because it's essentially just another color-by-numbers program which I despise. Some of you know my hatred for Frooty Loops because of this.

With the exception of Anski, we aren't here to troll. We want some legitimate backups of your claims, as well as the Stencyl team's. We are curious. We see some major flaws here, and yes the fanboyism is a little annoying. No, we won't go to the Stencyl forums and ask. We know they'll answer our question, but then a legion of fanboys will come in and defend it as well. And these are the worst kind of fanboys. They have blind faith. They have very little information about this program yet they defend it to no end.

No Malson, I don't want your Firefox breakfast.

Rep:
Level 102
Essentially Malson shares the same viewpoint as I do, and pretty much said to Irock in this topic what I said to him in IRC. Only in IRC, Irock seemed to finally understand what I was saying (perhaps to end the conversation) whereas here he did not.
I've understood your argument the whole time.

But the main problem I have is that Irock (and anyone else) defends this program so much when they have no tangible information.
I have just as much right to defend Stencyl as you have to bash it. Neither of us really have enough information to have a decent debate/argument. I'm simply trying to report what has been said. I'm aware that they don't have any proof to back up their words, but I still choose to follow it because it interests me. I'm pretty sure I covered this in this post.

No, what Jon has told you is not tangible information because no proof has been provided.
I'm pretty sure I said all this in this post.

In fact the only proof you have of anything, as Malson said, is that this is capable and seemingly geared towards making fan games. While that may not be the intention of the creators, they are certainly advertising it that way, while at the same time saying "This is not limited to fan games. Look, you can make a Mario game."
Their goals and intentions have changed greatly since the project started. They've removed the old Youtube videos that show fangames, they've removed all old screenshots, and they have turned their fan kit forums into single threads. It doesn't sound like they're trying to promote Stencyl as a fan game creator anymore.

But he doesn't supply proof because he doesn't want to "build up hype" or advertise something that may not end up in the final product. Which is pretty silly if you think about it. By not trying to "build up hype", they've accomplished nothing. Supporters such as Irock have been building it up anyway and will likely be very disappointed when/if it is released.
The reason they have no media up is clarified in this thread.

Stencyl supporters believe everything they are told and defend this program anytime anyone questions anything about it.
I don't believe or disbelieve it. When I defend Stencyl, I'm using information they have told us. I've said this many times. It isn't fair to have your project bashed when people obviously don't know if the reason they're bashing it is relevant. I'm defending it the best way I can defend it, and that's by saying what the team has said. And as always, I recommend you ask the team for yourself. Even if you are bombarded with fanboys (which you won't be) you'll receive a good, well thought out answer from either Jon or Stephen.

Some of us are merely saying "Stencyl seems limited to fangames".
I never argued against your opinions, but stating your opinions as if they are fact will end up with Stencyl being defended.

And ahref, who is intelligent enough to know, questioned the snippets, due to them likely causing compatibility issues. Instead of providing proof otherwise, or maybe even seeing the obvious here and agreeing with ahref and asking the Stencyl team about it, we get "SNIPPETS AREN'T SCRIPTING YOU JUST TAKE BITS OF SCRIPT AND PUT IT TOGETHER".
I told ahref to ask the team about this, yet he refused to. Compatibility errors is something the team hasn't commented on, and I couldn't try to answer. I said "SNIPPETS AREN'T SCRIPTING YOU JUST TAKE BITS OF SCRIPT AND PUT IT TOGETHER" after ahref said that we'll be scripting while using snippets. According to the team, you won't have to code anything to use snippets. So technically you AREN'T scripting, unless you're directly coding your own snippet.

Which, even if there were no compatibility issues, I hate because it's essentially just another color-by-numbers program which I despise. Some of you know my hatred for Frooty Loops because of this.
You despise a program without even using it?, or seeing any footage of it?

No, we won't go to the Stencyl forums and ask. We know they'll answer our question, but then a legion of fanboys will come in and defend it as well. And these are the worst kind of fanboys. They have blind faith. They have very little information about this program yet they defend it to no end.
You aren't going to be bombarded by fanboys, unless you plan to say "WHERE DO I DOWNLOAD STENCYL, YOU NEED TO RELEASE IT." If you're capable of asking a decent question, you'll get a decent answer. The better the question, the better the answer you'll receive. I guarantee it.

Rep:
Level 97
Just because I used you as an example does not mean I'm talking specifically to you.

I have just as much right to defend Stencyl as you have to bash it.

I'm not bashing it. I can't because they won't even tell anyone what the program can do yet you still choose to believe that it's going to be amazing when you know nothing.

Neither of us really have enough information to have a decent debate/argument. I'm simply trying to report what has been said. I'm aware that they don't have any proof to back up their words, but I still choose to follow it because it interests me. I'm pretty sure I covered this in this post.

Firstly, I don't see anyone trying to make a relevant and intelligent argument by saying "well maybe they're lying". Those that are are just trolling or going along with what they perceive as popular (i.e. Stencyl "bashing"). Second, I do have enough proof to launch a decent debate. My proof is their lack of proof. I am debating you not on whether or not Stencyl will be a good program, but the fact that you all follow it blindly like it's going to be the greatest thing ever made, when, again, you have no idea what it's even capable of doing or how well it will even work. It interests you. Fine. Be interested. Follow what's happening, read the "updates" (lol they aren't a company btw). But don't defend it when someone points out a flaw as if we've insulted your mother. Again, this is not directly at you, even though you are doing that to an extent.

No, what Jon has told you is not tangible information because no proof has been provided.

Congratulations. Way to miss the point. I'm not saying anyone is lying. That would be incredibly stupid if they were lying. What would they even have to lie about? Is it a possibility? Yes. What does this have to do with anything? Nothing. I said you have no tangible proof. I didn't say you were blindly following lies.

Their goals and intentions have changed greatly since the project started. They've removed the old Youtube videos that show fangames, they've removed all old screenshots, and they have turned their fan kit forums into single threads. It doesn't sound like they're trying to promote Stencyl as a fan game creator anymore.

OK so their promoted goals have changed and there are no screenshots or videos. That doesn't mean that it seems like Stencyl is limited to fangames. The only promoting they've done visually has been with creating fangames. All of their examples of what the program can do, that I've seen, has been of creating fangames. There's nothing really to debate over here. It's just bad promotion and advertising. But since they're seemingly changing so much of the program, perhaps when they do start advertising again, they'll do something besides show us Mario.

Nope, sorry. They've been secretive way longer than that. 1. They aren't a real company. A company is out for a profit. They are a commercial organization. It seems that they are legally an LLC, though I wouldn't be surprised if they're just claiming they are as many people in game making groups tend to do. 2. It all reeks of B.S. In the past they've acted like they've signed some non-disclosure agreement, now it's because they don't want anyone stealing their ideas. A load of crap.

I don't believe or disbelieve it.

You do. You say you're "interested" but if you didn't believe it you wouldn't get so worked up over all this.

In before "I'm not getting worked up. I'm very calm."

When I defend Stencyl, I'm using information they have told us. I've said this many times. It isn't fair to have your project bashed when people obviously don't know if the reason they're bashing it is relevant. I'm defending it the best way I can defend it, and that's by saying what the team has said. And as always, I recommend you ask the team for yourself. Even if you are bombarded with fanboys (which you won't be) you'll receive a good, well thought out answer from either Jon or Stephen.

It's not being bashed. You're missing the entire point.

I never argued against your opinions, but stating your opinions as if they are fact will end up with Stencyl being defended.

And stating your defenses as fact will never end anything until Stencyl provides more information, or more likely, released.

I told ahref to ask the team about this, yet he refused to. Compatibility errors is something the team hasn't commented on, and I couldn't try to answer. I said "SNIPPETS AREN'T SCRIPTING YOU JUST TAKE BITS OF SCRIPT AND PUT IT TOGETHER" after ahref said that we'll be scripting while using snippets. According to the team, you won't have to code anything to use snippets. So technically you AREN'T scripting, unless you're directly coding your own snippet.

But this is very likely to cause some compatibility issues. It would be like going out and collecting every script for rpg maker xp and putting them in your game and expecting it to work. Perhaps they are aware of this, I don't know. As you said they haven't mentioned anything about it. But maybe they're not. I'm willing to bet they're not.

You despise a program without even using it?, or seeing any footage of it?
I don't despise Stencyl because there's no reason to. I didn't word that very well. I started out with one thought but didn't finish it out and went into the next one. I meant to say "Which, even if there were no compatibility issues, it would be just another color-by-numbers program. I hate the piecing together snippets because it's just essentially color-by-numbers. etc." What I mean by this is it encourages less knowledge of your creative medium and stunts creative growth.

You aren't going to be bombarded by fanboys, unless you plan to say "WHERE DO I DOWNLOAD STENCYL, YOU NEED TO RELEASE IT." If you're capable of asking a decent question, you'll get a decent answer. The better the question, the better the answer you'll receive. I guarantee it.

I'll concede this point because I cannot locate my example. More likely the staff was intelligent enough to delete the fanboyish responses. But one cannot deny there is a sense of fanboyism here.

Resident Cloud
Rep:
Level 91
irock to amuse myself i have decided to ask the questions on the forums. :D youll hear back soon.

Rep:
Level 87
I have a question. How could something be limited to fan-games? Certainly, if a maker has all the elements needed to make a fan-game from the base up (well, maybe not the base... it's a game maker, after all), you could make plenty other games of that genre, no? And last time I checked, Stencyl wasn't even limited to a single genre. Even if the provided snippets weren't enough to make a great diversity of games, they would be expanded upon. Ever heard of RPG Maker? I'm guessing you have. Anyway, just take a look in the scripts section. How many of them were shipped with RMXP/VX?

Resident Cloud
Rep:
Level 91
unltimately its down to users. If too many users see that app and think IM GOING TO MAKE A GAME blindly then there gonna soon find out that they fail at one part of the game making process. So they borrow stuff from other people. This usually means they grab sprites from snes games thus turning their games into a fangame.

Rep:
Level 102
I'm not bashing it. I can't because they won't even tell anyone what the program can do yet you still choose to believe that it's going to be amazing when you know nothing.
I believe if Stencyl does what they claim it can do, then it will be a good program. You're making assumptions based on the fact that I'm interested in the project.

Second, I do have enough proof to launch a decent debate. My proof is their lack of proof. I am debating you not on whether or not Stencyl will be a good program, but the fact that you all follow it blindly like it's going to be the greatest thing ever made, when, again, you have no idea what it's even capable of doing or how well it will even work. But don't defend it when someone points out a flaw as if we've insulted your mother. Again, this is not directly at you, even though you are doing that to an extent.
Why does it bug you so much that people are excited about Stencyl? It's actually pretty fun following the project. We're not hurting anyone. I'll agree that it's annoying to see someone say "STENCYL IS GOING TO BE THE GREATEST FUCKING PROGRAM ON EARTH" especially since they haven't seen/used it, and those people need to die. A lot of us aren't like that, and you can see from this thread that no one has attacked ahref for discussing compatibility errors in snippets. Most sane people don't think Stencyl is going to be perfect, and can easily accept that.

Congratulations. Way to miss the point. I'm not saying anyone is lying. That would be incredibly stupid if they were lying. What would they even have to lie about? Is it a possibility? Yes. What does this have to do with anything? Nothing. I said you have no tangible proof. I didn't say you were blindly following lies.[/quote][/quote]Aww penis. I thought I said that Jon's word isn't proof, and it's common sense that someone's word doesn't prove something, in that post.

Nope, sorry. They've been secretive way longer than that. 1. They aren't a real company. A company is out for a profit. They are a commercial organization. It seems that they are legally an LLC, though I wouldn't be surprised if they're just claiming they are as many people in game making groups tend to do. 2. It all reeks of B.S. In the past they've acted like they've signed some non-disclosure agreement, now it's because they don't want anyone stealing their ideas. A load of crap.
So basically you're arguing that Jon could be lying?

You do. You say you're "interested" but if you didn't believe it you wouldn't get so worked up over all this.

In before "I'm not getting worked up. I'm very calm."
Err, seriously, I'm not worked up. I enjoy debating/discussing this with you. I'm not getting worked up. I'm very calm.

And stating your defenses as fact will never end anything until Stencyl provides more information, or more likely, released.
I wouldn't have to post any defense if people were capable of posting on the Stencyl forums, instead of relying on me for a response.

But this is very likely to cause some compatibility issues. It would be like going out and collecting every script for rpg maker xp and putting them in your game and expecting it to work. Perhaps they are aware of this, I don't know. As you said they haven't mentioned anything about it. But maybe they're not. I'm willing to bet they're not.
I never said that there wouldn't be compatibility issues. I'm not going to assume something until it's stated or proven.

I don't despise Stencyl because there's no reason to. I didn't word that very well. I started out with one thought but didn't finish it out and went into the next one. I meant to say "Which, even if there were no compatibility issues, it would be just another color-by-numbers program. I hate the piecing together snippets because it's just essentially color-by-numbers. etc." What I mean by this is it encourages less knowledge of your creative medium and stunts creative growth.
It's going to take some creative thinking to create some things with snippets. You COULD combine two battle systems together and say you made it, which obviously isn't very creative. On the other hand, Stencyl gives you the ability to be very creative. Combining thousands of little tiny bits of code and making a giant battle system, is pretty creative. I've seen very creative things made with RPG Maker's event systems. If Stencyl is giving you an endless number of events, then that gives you a hell of a lot larger oppertunity to be creative than just about every game creation program out there.

I'll concede this point because I cannot locate my example. More likely the staff was intelligent enough to delete the fanboyish responses. But one cannot deny there is a sense of fanboyism here.
There's obviously fanboyism everywhere on the internet. That's something you can't escape. The only people that are attacked are the really idiotic ones.

unltimately its down to users. If too many users see that app and think IM GOING TO MAKE A GAME blindly then there gonna soon find out that they fail at one part of the game making process. So they borrow stuff from other people. This usually means they grab sprites from snes games thus turning their games into a fangame.
I can't argue that that this won't happen, but you're going to find that with every program. I'm not really interested in the games that will be made, I'm mainly interested in the program itself.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2008, 11:22:27 PM by Irock »

Resident Cloud
Rep:
Level 91
There are ways around

Quote from: ahref on April 18, 2008, 05:17:54 PM

I love Firerain
Rep:
Level 97
=D
What does stencyl claim to do, Irock? It claims to be limited to fan games?

Quote from: HaloOfTheSun
I can't because they won't even tell anyone what the program can do yet you still choose to believe that it's going to be amazing when you know nothing.

BEST LINE EVER
Arlen is hot.

Rise From The Ashes!
Rep:
Level 91
"Time to bring the Law!"
Project of the Month winner for September 2009
The information (or should I say the lack of it) seems to be rather strange. I find it odd that after all this time it has been in development, their is no solid proof that Stencyl actually exists. :-\

Now apprently they have moved into "stealth mode" which disallows them from disclosing any information AT ALL.

Also, to be honest, I think the soul purpose of this was to create fan games. Sure, it can be used for original projects, but don't you think they made those game packs with fan game creation in mind?

Rep:
Level 102
The information (or should I say the lack of it) seems to be rather strange. I find it odd that after all this time it has been in development, their is no solid proof that Stencyl actually exists. :-\

Now apprently they have moved into "stealth mode" which disallows them from disclosing any information AT ALL.

Also, to be honest, I think the soul purpose of this was to create fan games. Sure, it can be used for original projects, but don't you think they made those game packs with fan game creation in mind?
Stencyl was originally just a Mario level editor. It then moved on to a game creation program which you needed to know Java to create a original game. Today they're creating a game creation program that anyone can create an original game from. Their intentions have certainly changed a lot, but I'm sure they would disappoint some people if they removed the kits.

Rep:
Level 98

Stencyl was originally just a Mario level editor. It then moved on to a game creation program which you needed to know Java to create a original game. Today they're creating a game creation program that anyone can create an original game from. Their intentions have certainly changed a lot, but I'm sure they would disappoint some people if they removed the kits.

Well duh, only retards wouldn't want to put time into making their own game. If you create a program like this and don't add any preset graphics, will it be as popular?

No.

Also thanks for the history lesson Irock, it still doesn't change anything.

Rep:
Level 102

Well duh, only retards wouldn't want to put time into making their own game. If you create a program like this and don't add any preset graphics, will it be as popular?

No.

Also thanks for the history lesson Irock, it still doesn't change anything.
I was responding to where Tezuka said "I think the soul purpose of this was to create fan games." There's nothing to change.

I love Firerain
Rep:
Level 97
=D
Learn Java
Master Stencyl
Copy Fan game ideas

Work on stencyl
Make a shitty fan game
Arlen is hot.

Resident Cloud
Rep:
Level 91
Stencyl's "Snippets" allow you to create whatever 2D idea you have.

what ideas do the average joe who wants to make a game have? NONE they just want to copy the latest thing.

No ideas = fan games.

Rep:
Level 102
Stencyl's "Snippets" allow you to create whatever 2D idea you have.

what ideas do the average joe who wants to make a game have? NONE they just want to copy the latest thing.

No ideas = fan games.
There are barley any fangames compared to the amount of original ideas.

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
Ideas do not make a game. If that were the case, RMRK would be flooded with them.

Rep:
Level 97

Funny how the first thread there is one asking about a Sonic kit. There are also several topics about other fangame-related material.

I love Firerain
Rep:
Level 97
=D
Ideas do not make a game. If that were the case, RMRK would be flooded with them.

Yes, you need to have the skill and all. If you wanna make a mega platformer but you don't have skills or help, then you'll just end up making Mario from the SONIC KIT :O
Arlen is hot.

Rep:
Level 102

Funny how the first thread there is one asking about a Sonic kit. There are also several topics about other fangame-related material.
Did you read my post? I said, "There are barley any fangames compared to the amount of original ideas."

The point is, there are more original ideas than fangame ideas.

Rise From The Ashes!
Rep:
Level 91
"Time to bring the Law!"
I'm not trying to be mean, but is their any proof that this actually exists? I mean the engine itself, not a game demo that was apparently made in Stencyl?

Resident Cloud
Rep:
Level 91

When i mention ideas i mean more then just this is how the game should work. i supose i mean ideals.

However the script sections are full of ideas :P.

Also:
http://forums.stencyl.com/showthread.php?tid=4047

so now they have NO MEDIA,NO ADVERTISING. Wtf are they playing about with.

pics/news or its never gonna happen.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 05:28:02 PM by ahref »

Rep:
Level 87
Yes, Stencyl is very real. Ask any of the beta testers.

Anyway... why is this even still going on? Nobody has any grounds to fight upon... so why fight? Just wait and see.

Rise From The Ashes!
Rep:
Level 91
"Time to bring the Law!"
Nobody has any grounds to fight upon...

Exactly, their is nothing to say that Stencyl exists or not, but when their is no proof that it exists (Which is what it looks like now), people will assume that it will never happen/be released. I'm doubting about the existance of Stencyl as well. :-\

Ask any of the beta testers.

They can easily lie.

I am not trying to be mean here, but Stencyl's existance seems questionable.

Rep:
Level 102
Arguing when your only evidence is the lack of evidence is pointless. Nobody disagrees that it's a possibility that Stencyl doesn't exist.

No more arguing over Stencyl's existence. It's a fucking stupid argument.

Rise From The Ashes!
Rep:
Level 91
"Time to bring the Law!"
Good point well made.

I'll stop now.

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
Arguing when your only evidence is the lack of evidence is pointless. Nobody disagrees that it's a possibility that Stencyl doesn't exist.

No more arguing over Stencyl's existence. It's a fucking stupid argument.

It wasn't about Stencyl's existence in the first place. It was about Stencyl's usefulness as a game creation program, and how it seems geared towards fan games.

Oh really? If you're trying to make that point on RMRK, you ought to take a look at what RMRK's been saying.

Stencyl is geared primarily towards fan games, proven by Stencyl's less-than-revealing advertisement policy and the members of our very own forum. Nothing you say can or will prove otherwise, as it's Stencyl's job to do that. That's the point everyone's been trying to make for the past 5 pages.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 10:55:23 PM by Narwhalson »

Rep:
Level 87
When I say that nobody has any grounds to be arguing on, I also meant whether or not Stencyl is meant for fan games. Just because a group of people want to use something that they've never used before, or even seen, to make a fan game, doesn't mean that the program is geared towards that.

So, seriously, you can't have a real argument about whether Stencyl does this or that, or if it even exists or not, especially if you don't trust the programmer. All you know is their is something called Stencyl and, if it's even actually being made, it's supposed to make videogames. It stops there. Unless you believe Jon about what he has told you about Stencyl, you have no more information. No grounds for an argument.

Speculation, maybe, but...

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
Just because a group of people want to use something that they've never used before, or even seen, to make a fan game, doesn't mean that the program is geared towards that.

What? That's exactly what that means.

I'm not talking about Stencyl's capabilities, I'm talking about what the program is going to be used for. And right now, it seems like the answer is fan games. For the most part, of course. I'm not saying Stencyl is incapable of making original games, I'm just saying that's generally not going to happen, given how people are reacting to the program.

When you consider time and effort that needs to be invested in a game project, as well as Stencyl's fanbase, it's no secret that a plethora of fan games will be created. When a 13 year old kid wants to design his very own video game, he's going to want to do it in the easiest and most efficient way possible, and Stencyl provides just that with their kits. What makes Stencyl geared towards fan games is the fact that those kits are based on games already in existence, meaning that the only finished games available are mostly going to be fan games. Don't believe me? Check and see how many finished projects there are on RMRK, compared to the total amount of project threads.

Contrary to the topic title, I'm not at all saying that Stencyl is limited to fan games. I'm just saying that fan games are going to comprise most of what Stencyl users will make.

Rep:
Level 87
Agreed. And, admittedly, I'm planning on making a fan game myself. However, Stencyl isn't only supplying fan-game kits. In fact, it's Polyhedron Designs which will do that, not to mention a hundred more who decide the PD fan kits aren't up to snuff. What the Stencyl team itself is supplying would be genre kits with generic resources. Much like RPG Maker, really, except with support for more genres. ^_^

Anyway, you should see the game ideas section on the Stencyl forums. There are quite a few interesting, original game ideas out there. Yes, many of which seem to have been abandoned, but there are still quite a few that haven't suffered that fate yet, and, hopefully, when Stencyl comes out, these ideas will become games.

Rep:
Level 102
Just because a group of people want to use something that they've never used before, or even seen, to make a fan game, doesn't mean that the program is geared towards that.

What? That's exactly what that means.

I'm not talking about Stencyl's capabilities, I'm talking about what the program is going to be used for. And right now, it seems like the answer is fan games. For the most part, of course. I'm not saying Stencyl is incapable of making original games, I'm just saying that's generally not going to happen, given how people are reacting to the program.

When you consider time and effort that needs to be invested in a game project, as well as Stencyl's fanbase, it's no secret that a plethora of fan games will be created. When a 13 year old kid wants to design his very own video game, he's going to want to do it in the easiest and most efficient way possible, and Stencyl provides just that with their kits. What makes Stencyl geared towards fan games is the fact that those kits are based on games already in existence, meaning that the only finished games available are mostly going to be fan games. Don't believe me? Check and see how many finished projects there are on RMRK, compared to the total amount of project threads.

Contrary to the topic title, I'm not at all saying that Stencyl is limited to fan games. I'm just saying that fan games are going to comprise most of what Stencyl users will make.
There's no way to be sure. Besides, from what I've heard from the team, fangames won't be allowed to be uploaded to Stencyl's website. You won't be seeing a lot of fangames on there, unless my information is incorrect.

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
So Stencyl's providing a bunch of packaged game design kits, and won't even allow anyone to upload a game that uses them? Sounds like bullshit to me.

Rep:
Level 102
So Stencyl's providing a bunch of packaged game design kits, and won't even allow anyone to upload a game that uses them? Sounds like bullshit to me.
You of all people should know that the Stencyl Team isn't working on the kits. The Polyhedron Design team is, and they are in no way affiliated with Stencyl. You know, you ARE still part of the Polyhedron Design team.

Rep:
Level 87
No, I'm 99% positive that Stencyl allows fan games to be uploaded. Source, Irock? Also, as Irock said, Stencyl does not provide fan game kits. Polyhedron Designs does. And yes, games made with these kits are allowed to be uploaded.

Resident Cloud
Rep:
Level 91
so stencyl doesnt provide kits it just gives you the program does this mean no RTP. hmm intresting that ought to stop the fan games slightly but with the kits thell be back.

EDIT: irocks making a fangame:

http://forums.stencyl.com/showthread.php?tid=4323

Brick Block is greatly inspired by the mini-game Tower Tennis from WarioWare Smooth Moves

Thanks a bunch, but I didn't come up with the color idea. I got it from Tower Tennis. I feel a big ashamed. ._.'
« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 10:55:33 AM by anchovy »

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
You of all people should know that the Stencyl Team isn't working on the kits. The Polyhedron Design team is, and they are in no way affiliated with Stencyl. You know, you ARE still part of the Polyhedron Design team.

How is it not affiliated with Stencyl? It's on the same damn site.

Rep:
Level 87
Affiliated may not have been the best word there. They're affiliated, yes, but PD is not actually a part of Stencyl. They're an unofficial group of game makers, led by Jesse/XMegaDragon. They used to be. When Jon started moving Stencyl away from fan games and made Stencyl a company, he kept PD's place on the forums, but they're no longer officially a part of the company.

so stencyl doesnt provide kits it just gives you the program does this mean no RTP. hmm intresting that ought to stop the fan games slightly but with the kits thell be back.
Wow. I knew that my clarity was cursed, but I didn't know that it was this bad. I said, Stencyl does supply genre kits, but it does not supply fan kits. PD does that.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 02:46:54 AM by RMXPokemaniac »

Rep:
Level 102
No, I'm 99% positive that Stencyl allows fan games to be uploaded. Source, Irock?
Stephen's first post on this page.

does this mean no RTP.
Read this.

LOOK LOL!!!! I FOUND A SUPER SECRET POST IROCK MADE AND WAS TRYING TO HIDE FROM US!!!! HE SAIDZ HE WOULDNT MAKE A FAN GAME BUT IDK WHERE LULZ!!!!!!!!!! OMG HAXZZ http://forums.stencyl.com/showthread.php?tid=4323  !

!!!!df

UR BUSTED lijl 101 l0l

IM A STUPID PENIS IDIOT
I never said I wasn't making a fan game. Besides, this doesn't even classify as one. The game will be a lot different from the game it was inspired by. A game with jumping and shooting isn't necessarily a Mario fangame. =x

Rep:
Level 98
I never said I wasn't making a fan game. Besides, this doesn't even classify as one. The game will be a lot different from the game it was inspired by. A game with jumping and shooting isn't necessarily a Mario fangame. =x

Mario doesn't shoot, I think the copyright you were looking for was Megaman.

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
Affiliated may not have been the best word there. They're affiliated, yes, but PD is not actually a part of Stencyl. They're an unofficial group of game makers, led by Jesse/XMegaDragon. They used to be. When Jon started moving Stencyl away from fan games and made Stencyl a company, he kept PD's place on the forums, but they're no longer officially a part of the company.

Stencyl only did that to save their asses in case Nintendo/Capcom/etc threw a lawsuit in their direction. It has no bearing on how Stencyl's only been demonstrated to create fan games, and how the kits that will be included with Stencyl are building blocks for fan games. If Stencyl's aim is to avoid being primarily for fan games, they're doing a really bad job at it.

Rep:
Level 102

Mario doesn't shoot, I think the copyright you were looking for was Megaman.
He shoots fireballs out of his hands.

Resident Cloud
Rep:
Level 91
No, I'm 99% positive that Stencyl allows fan games to be uploaded. Source, Irock?
Stephen's first post on this page.

does this mean no RTP.
Read this.

LOOK LOL!!!! I FOUND A SUPER SECRET POST IROCK MADE AND WAS TRYING TO HIDE FROM US!!!! HE SAIDZ HE WOULDNT MAKE A FAN GAME BUT IDK WHERE LULZ!!!!!!!!!! OMG HAXZZ http://forums.stencyl.com/showthread.php?tid=4323  !

!!!!df

UR BUSTED lijl 101 l0l

IM A STUPID PENIS IDIOT

avoid making quotes up its against the law and counted as identity theft :D.

The fact that an idea within a game led you to make a game means that your game is a fan game you saw something you liked and wanted to imitate it.

Clam down btw.

pokeball Sx2OfflineMale
Rep:
Level 85
UltimaKirby
...I wonder if there's gonna be a Kirby snippet
Super Smash Bros. Brawl - Kirby Player
Brawl Code - 1375-6864-5199
PM to Brawl me