RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Where does space end......?

Rep:
Level 90
Go away Hakumen...
I was giving it some thought the other day, and I assumed that we probably exsist on a plain with a slight curvature, which eventually wraps around. In other words: keep going one direction, in google-zillion millenia, you'll end up where you started. Another question I thought was why is space black? Is the lack of matter black or does it have something to do with light?
"Think outside the box, collapse the box, and take a fucking sharp knife to it." - Banksy

pokeball :)OfflineMale
Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
I don't think space ends....if it ended what would be beyond it? and how far until that thing ends? and so on...
Watch out for: HaloOfTheSun

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Best Non-RM Creator2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)2013 Best IRC ChatterboxParticipant - GIAW 112012 Most Successful Troll2012 Funniest Member2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Best IRC ChatterboxSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Most Successful Troll2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Best IRC Chatterbox
I don't think we have proof that space ends.
And black is obviously the lack of light. I think.

Rep:
Level 88
No.. i think he some sort of Midboss
but it also couldent be the lack of light everywhere like around earth should get light because we get light so it has to be something other then lack of light... as for space ending it has to... there really is nuthing that goes on forever... i odnt like thinking about this it makes me think if it were endless if we are going to inhabit planets like earth and how far away we will reach at one time...
"Life is a struggle; technology creates more idiot proof things, and the universe creates better idiots; so far the universe is winning" -Shino_Ryuu

Rep:
Level 90
Go away Hakumen...
Well, does that mean an infinite number of stars and endless emptiness? If the big bang is true, there would be areas in which haven't been reached by it's explosion. It's just soo weird.
"Think outside the box, collapse the box, and take a fucking sharp knife to it." - Banksy

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Best Non-RM Creator2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)2013 Best IRC ChatterboxParticipant - GIAW 112012 Most Successful Troll2012 Funniest Member2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Best IRC ChatterboxSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Most Successful Troll2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Best IRC Chatterbox
Here is my theory on why space is black.
The sky is blue because of light reflecting off of the Oceans.
If you mix every color together you get black. Since space is so big there are billions of colors. Therefor light reflects off of them making space black.

EDIT: NO! Change of theory. There isn't enough matter in space to make a certain color by light reflecting to color. Therefor it is black.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2007, 01:39:54 AM by Irockman1 »

Rep:
Level 90
Go away Hakumen...
Good, but has it been approved that space has no end? Does it simple fade away into nothingness where there is no color. If so what color is, well, no color? Black?

Rep:
Level 96
2011 Most Missed Member2010 Zero To Hero
Too much complication. You had it right the first time, space is black due to an absence of light.

To answer your question, there are two ways of looking at it. Space's end is supposed to be infinitessimally small. So eventually, you would reahc a point where your matter would be stretched SO THIN and SO FAR that you literally could not move any longer. One COULD say that was space's end. But then you can look at it mathematically. Everything (logically) can be broken into pieces. So what if you could just, get smaller? Wouldn't space then be extended? All you would have to do is keep getting smaller, and you would keep going further into space. (by that logic)

And yes, absence of light = black, so no color = black.

Rep:
Level 90
Go away Hakumen...
Yeah, but your thinking in terms of our spectrum of light. Is the space significantly different in spectrum's of nocturnal animals? Can they see past the blackness?

Rep:
Level 88
Well, what is our universe in?
Is it in somehting bigger, and if so, that means it would go into that somehow.
Also yes there are limitless colors, but we cant imagine them without thinking of mixtures of our own, its is absolutly no matter what........impossible....it's just the spectrum our mind pictures, if there is other life they might see something else, in there specturm, and we might see it as say blue....but they'd see something we cant imaginge.

Rep:
Level 90
Go away Hakumen...

Exactly what I had in mind. Maybe this is just one sub-universe of many universes and unlimitless dimensions. We may never know of course, but it's odd to feel that is currently happening. Perhaps, like Star Trek, their is "sub-space" where time dosen't exsist and stuff. Who knows...

Rep:
Level 102
Maybe we're in a place where time doesn't exist before we are sperm cells.

Rep:
Level 88

Exactly what I had in mind. Maybe this is just one sub-universe of many universes and unlimitless dimensions. We may never know of course, but it's odd to feel that is currently happening. Perhaps, like Star Trek, their is "sub-space" where time dosen't exsist and stuff. Who knows...
Multiple copies of us!!!
Would it be possible to do a futurama and put our own universe in a box?
Wait.....no.......that'd be an infinite paradox then, becuase they're then be and endless ammount of our universese in the box, and that means more boxes with more boxes!
Also, a book at my library has a diagram where its a loop with a stem growing off of it to show time, and time is growing in the funnel, and theyre are millions of those funnel things...the funnel being the universe.

Rep:
Level 90
Go away Hakumen...
FREAKIN CRAZY! Just asking, but am I the only loser in here that watches Star Trek?

Rep:
Level 88
FREAKIN CRAZY! Just asking, but am I the only loser in here that watches Star Trek?
No I just watched it.....:zoid: "Hurray people are paying attention to me"

I love Firerain
Rep:
Level 97
=D
Nice Question man. Space does not end actually, the world is sooo big, i mean not earth, and space is just a black sheet of stars and planets. So actually if you see, we are just a cockroach on the carpet, and that carpet is like, big, black thingy. And it just extends and extends, and scientist can't go that far, or maybe the space is just like Earth, a vast circular thingamabob, inside another thing, say spoce..you know...but for know, everyone just says that is unextendable..
Arlen is hot.

Rep:
Level 87
^^Will Kill You^^
It is my belief that space has to go on forever, otherwise, whats at the end? there can't be just nothingness. There has to be something. Stars or planets or something.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2007, 03:19:08 AM by Drift »
"It started badly, it tailed off a little in the middle and the less said about the end the better — but apart from that it was excellent."

Rep:
Level 96
2011 Most Missed Member2010 Zero To Hero
Learn to post. Also: In a way, yes, they see past the blackness, but only because their eyes pick up more light. Their blackness is just thinner. OR, alternatively, they only see certain colors.But their are no "secret colors" out there.

OMG!! IVE RUN OUT OF EYELINER!!!
Rep:
Level 88
More man than everyone here put together.
If you mix every color together you get black.

No, if you mix every color together you get white.
Black is the lack of color and space is black because the space is the void between matter and since it has no matter, it cannot reflect light.
There is no lack of light in space, there is an infinite amount of stars shining at all times.

Quote from: gnome
Also yes there are limitless colors, but we cant imagine them without thinking of mixtures of our own

You can actually see a few of these colors if you travel to the himalayas.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2007, 10:01:34 AM by Elegy »
The opposite of intelligence is not stupidity, it's patriotism.

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
You were right about space being at a slight curvature, but there's more to it than that. I'm going to plug my favorite book again. I keep recommending it, but people keep asking these questions, so obviously nobody has read it yet.

A SHORT HISTORY OF NEARLY EVERYTHING - BILL BRYSON

I love Firerain
Rep:
Level 97
=D
If you mix every color together you get black.

No, if you mix every color together you get white.
Black is the lack of color and space is black because the space is the void between matter and since it has no matter, it cannot reflect light.
There is no lack of light in space, there is an infinite amount of stars shining at all times.

Quote from: gnome
Also yes there are limitless colors, but we cant imagine them without thinking of mixtures of our own

You can actually see a few of these colors if you travel to the himalayas.

Surprisingly, this time, i agree with Elegy. And i mean the whole thing i spose.
Great job Elegy, "WE ARE BONDING "
Arlen is hot.

Rep:
Level 88
Yes, new ones have probably been discovered, but as new shades of mixtures of current ones ^-^

Rep:
Level 88
No, there are completely new colors in the himalayas, not like mixtures of colors we already have, but completely new, unlike any other.
There we have another thing besides infinity thats impossible to fully grasp.

I love Firerain
Rep:
Level 97
=D
No, there are completely new colors in the himalayas, not like mixtures of colors we already have, but completely new, unlike any other.
There we have another thing besides infinity thats impossible to fully grasp.

I'm from india, and i've been there, they are not like, OMG I WANNA SEX THAT COLOUR...
Arlen is hot.

Rep:
Level 88
Then the question is if you saw a mixture of colors or a new color.