RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Where to host your games

Rep:
Level 88
I'm back :P
i dont know if this has been done before, but if it has be free to delete, or move, or whatever.

Well if you're new and looking where to upload your game without the hassle of registering a domain, or subdomain, heres some sites:
www.megaupload.com -> can force people downloading your game to download the megaupload toolbar after x amount of  (thanks arwym for the tipper :P)
www.filefront.com
http://rapidshare.de/
http://rapidshare.com/
http://www.wikiupload.com/
http://www.phanxgames.com
I don't know which one is necessarily the best, really depends on your preference.

Now for website hosting the one that i love is www.freehostia.com for many reasons, so here's some things i like that you should also consider when finding a host:
No ads -what so ever
It has a mysql database - if you plan on hosting your own forum without a hoster like invisionfree
It has ftp
An easy to follow interface - no confusion
You can get multiple subdomains under one account
Good Faq
Multiple file upload - I hate 1 file at a time uploads
Lots of disk space - 250 mb which is a very large amount compared to the hosts listed below
Monthly bandwith of 5 GB
And many other features I like

But theres other ones out there if freehostia isnt for you, such as:
www.freewebs.com - this ones okay, the uploading is ridiculous though, but it has a good interface, and if you like extra features such as a chat room its nice. but its very restrictive on what codes you can use on it. It doesnt like a lot of javascript.
http://www.freewebspace.com/ - searched this one on google, it looked okay, you can try it out
www.50megs.com -obviously it has 50megs for space, which is good if you have a fairly large game, you can host it right on your site. Only problem, is it has ads, and no ftp. but it has a good interface and easy to use.
http://www.free-webhosts.com/ -lists tons more of free hosts for you to check out.

Hosts you should avoid
This is from my personal preference, so you don't have to necessarily follow my advice until you try it for yourself
www.geocities.com - yahoo used to be good, because it had multiple file upload, and its interface was simple and easy to follow. Then they got a ridiculously limited bandwith. Now if you get a free website you can probably visit a webpage 20 times then its down from exceeding bandwith, with a limit of 4.2 mb an hour, and only 15 mb of diskspace I find yahoo a waste of registering time, I only like yahoo for my email.
www.bravenet.com -it has fun site add-ons but the ads are very annoying, and the restriction of not allowing images to be seen off the site is also very annoying. Unless you like the safety of that. Other than that, and hardly no disk space bravenet is okay at best.
www.angelfire.com - lol fuman has this to host his site, but he should find something better. the space is okay, but the ads are too much, and the interface could be better.
www.fortunecity.com -just eww. they have huge ads, and as a whole are very un-reliable. i laugh because i found this:

it says no pop up ads, so you click the image to register and...

wow they lied.
anyways.......

So I guess that's my quick suggestion to all project makers. You can also post sites you use n junk, that I forgot about. Or dish how I'm wrong.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2007, 03:49:34 PM by Christina »

Rep:
Level 88
Hell... What did I mess up now... I'm Back!
rofl... I guess I am glad i have my own server... XD
----Current Games working on----
--Rage O' Delusion - Overall Percentage Finished : 4% -- Expected release... Unknown
--The Other Dimension - Overall Percentage done : 1 - Expected Release : No time soon...
v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^
Feildmaster Productions
Made By One Man Run by the Same...
Making Games for Everyone...
Oh yeah, and everything else web based
For a charge... Of course...

Sailor Man
Rep:
Level 95
So about that money...
You forgot that the nice thing with filefront is that you have no limit on storage space.

<3
Rep:
Level 90
You forgot that the nice thing with filefront is that you have no limit on storage space.

Yea, but heaps of adds  ;D Megaupload is my fave

~Winged

Rep:
Level 88
Random-Idiot
Erm, add rapidshare.com to tha list  ;8 .de is full until +/- 6-1-2007
ALL HAIL ME™

Rep:
Level 89
I'm back again. Again.
This should be pinned.

Rep:
Level 88
im still glad i have my own server...  ::)
--Rage O' Delusion - Overall Percentage Finished : 4% -- Expected release... Unknown
--The Other Dimension - Overall Percentage done : 1 - Expected Release : No time soon...
Feildmaster Productions

Rep:
Level 89
I'm back again. Again.
lol.

Tell me how, now.

Sailor Man
Rep:
Level 95
So about that money...
Filefronts adds don't bother me tho.

Rep:
Level 89
I'm back again. Again.
They dont really bother me either, to be honest...

I just hate them.

<3
Rep:
Level 90
I've got one: http://www.phanxgames.com

Check it out and rate yourself, but I think its pretty decent if you advertise properly (the site needs a few donations to keep the game hosting up)

~Winged

Rep:
Level 88
Paradoxial failboats are cool.
Those upload sites look handy. Lets keep this topic alive so lots of people can use it.
The message below is false.
The message above is true.

Rep:
Level 88
I'm back :P
well i guess people can use it, since it is stickied

Rep:
Level 88
lol.

Tell me how, now.

what was intended for me nev? *sorry for the off topic ish post*
Feildmaster Productions

A blessing
Rep:
Level 91
<3 Back.
Don't use Megauploads, people. After x downloads, users encounter a message that forces them to download the Megaupload toolbar, which is full of malware, in order to continue downloading files at their website. Why "forces them"? Because it tells you that the downloads for your country are 'full' for the moment. That you wait some more hours. But you can wait all you can. They will always tell you the same. It's their trick.

How to solve this? There's a plugin for Mozilla Firefox that plays a trick to the website and skips that tricky message, sending you directly to the download. You have to 'enable' the plugin when you're going to download, then 'disable' it as soon as you're done. (I use it.)

Search for it in Google.

Rep:
Level 88
Paradoxial failboats are cool.
Hmm, I use megaupload....
I guess i'll just use something else when I get that message.
The message below is false.
The message above is true.

Rep:
Level 86
Phanxgames is dying. Can't upload games on it anymore.

Rep: +0/-0Level 86
Digital_Bits by any other name is just as deranged
Err, after reading the post that the toolbar for MegaUpload is mega-bad, and that MegaUpload is basically the same as those annoying E-mails you get asking you to tell them your bank account info because you won 1,000$, I'll do some more research. Besides, I was more joking when I said I was going to be lazy anyways... :/

Disregard the below, please. (X-x)

I think I'll use MegaUpload. Just because I'm feeling lazy and I wanna go for the first one on the list. (=w=)

I'm hoping to have a demo done in about a week (wow I'm hopeful o-o), and I am so glad that I found you guys for this stuff. Thank you Ask.com toolbar plug-in. XD
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 09:55:17 PM by Digital_Bits »
Who says you have to be sane to make an RPG?

Rep:
Level 82
personally i like mediafire.com because no waiting and fast download only problem is limited file size but unlimited storage :blizj:

moew
Rep:
Level 91
Queen Princess
2013 Most Missed Member2012 Most Missed Member;o hee hee <3For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki
Personally I prefer necroposting when it's older than two years :blizj:
:taco: :taco: :taco: