RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[VXA] Spirit Host

Rep:
Level 76
Praise the Sun (Arcana)
GIAW 14: 1st Place (Hard Mode)
Spirit Host

Initially an entry for GIAW13 titled Spirit Summoner Girl, Spirit Host is an Adventure RPG about ghosts and their dark worlds. After numerous changes, I'm finally confident with the direction of the game. This is an RPG with an emphasis on involving combat and player choice. Backed by a character centric story, I hope to make a game enjoyable to all kinds of players.

Story
You play as a high school student named Natsumi. After your parents went away on a business trip, you move in with your older brother, Toshiro to continue your schooling. A strange rumor has been going around the city. Claims of a strange white haired girl. The rumor goes, "If you see the Girl with White Hair, you will die the next day." Many odd happenings occur in town, most notably the appearance of strange black doors. What lies beyond these Doors? And does the White Haired Girl really exist?

Characters
Protagonist: default name "Natsumi"

"Tarou"

-More to Come-

Screenshots
Spoiler for:

A WIP intro scene

Your room

Battle Scene w/ some gnar-gnar Spirits

A Strange Door, does no one see it?

Your kitchen, very exciting

The Stat Distribution menu (thank you TDS)

Features
-More than 60 Host Spirits (3 variants each makes it more than 180 Hosts)
-In depth battle system
-Stat Allocation (for the main character)
-Unique Equipment system lets you play how you want
-Multiple Endings
-Custom Facesets and Battlers (& other art stuff)

Demo
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ayg084cqqa7hbcd/Ghostgirl.zip?dl=0
This is the GIAW entry. It's non RTP and only the battle system is reminiscent of the current game. If you want to play my GIAW entry here it is, just know this is not the same game.

Credits
Spoiler for:
Enterbrain
Victor Sant
Yanfly
Syvkal
Neon Black
Galv
modern algebra
FenixFyreX
V.M of D.T
Ocedic
ayene chan
TDS
Presence of Music
http://hyouburogu.jugem.jp/?day=20090615 ("Soldier Record")
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 08:14:58 AM by hiromu656 »

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
2014 Best RPG Maker User - StoryProject of the Year 20142014 Queen of RMRK2011 Best Newbie2014 Kindest Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Creativity2013 Queen of RMRKBronze SS AuthorBronze Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.GOOD!For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best Yuyubabe Smiley2012 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity);o
Can't wait to review this one! :-) It looks pretty awesome!
Spoiler for My Games and Art:
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

The Lhuvia Tales [Current]

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Phoenix Wright: Haunted Turnabout [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Most Mature Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Best Use Of Avatar And Signature Space2010 Favourite Staff Member
Looks great. I am excited to try it out.

EDIT::

Aww, I got an error. Cannot find file: Graphics/Pictures/le.png
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 12:46:13 AM by modern algebra »

Rep:
Level 76
Praise the Sun (Arcana)
My bad, I fixed the Download link. I always have that problem with the light script.

Rep:
Level 76
Praise the Sun (Arcana)
Progress has been pretty slow because of school, but here's a small update:

[OP has been updated]

I remade the art for Ghostgirl and added a new character, Lillian. I've made a couple new Spirits, 2 of which are shown on the now updated Screenshot section. Speaking of screenshots, I added 3 new ones, there's a glimpse of the Spirit World which will be a major focus of the game. I plan on updating the demo again so that it better represents my direction with the game.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Rep:
Level 96
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
GIAW 14: 2nd Place (Hard Mode)2013 Biggest Drama Whore2013 Zero to HeroParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
Really enjoyed the GIAW entry. *^_^*
This is a project I'll be keeping any eye on.
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Rep:
Level 76
Praise the Sun (Arcana)
Lackluster Update !

Pretty much every screenshot here will be scrapped. I'm going to redo the style and designs for the characters and change up the game's presentation. The demo is still a good representation of the game's tone and battle system, but I'm not really feeling the look. I've still got around 3 weeks to go before my next school semester begins so I've been trying to get some good work done for the game. I might even come up with a less generic title in the mean time. Can't wait to show it off.

Rep:
Level 96
GIAW 14: 2nd Place (Hard Mode)2013 Biggest Drama Whore2013 Zero to HeroParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
Cool. :o
Can we get a sneak peak at what it (may) look(s) like?
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Rep:
Level 76
Praise the Sun (Arcana)
You can now!

Sadly I don't have as much progress to show as I'd hoped, but this should represent the direction I'm going.

Blatant Persona inspirations aside, the game is visibly more cheerful, and I'm using the DS style tiles (for the most part). How does the art style fit with the tiles, sprites, etc? The character you see here is the new main character and the Ghostgirl from the old demo has gotten a "different" role ;)

Still a work in progress, but I plan on showing a couple more characters soon (for real this time). School's starting up in a couple days for me, but I think a decently sized demo could be on the way.

Rep:
Level 96
Looking forward to see where this goes. :boe:
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

A man chooses,
Rep:
Level 92
a slave obeys
Project of the Month winner for April 2008
It's looking good, It's cheerful indeed. Can't wait to see what more you make :>

Rep:
Level 76
Praise the Sun (Arcana)
I've mostly redone the intro post with new WIP screenshots and another character, Tarou. On the rpgmakerweb forums I had set up a feedback topic on the Equip and Skill system I'm using. I'm very confident with the current state of these systems so I'll just paste it here. It's a pretty long read, but it's the game's core mechanics.

Spoiler for:
The equipments slots are: Weapon, Host, Armor, 2 Accessories, Artifact. Currently, weapons do not give stats (I'm using a Stat Allocation system for Leveling up), you use them based on the "Element" of the attack: Slash, Pierce, and Blunt. Different Weapons also apply various affects, swords and sharp edged weapons all have a chance to apply a bleed, blunt weapons have a chance to stun and Pierce has a chance to pierce through armor and cause a defense debuff. Armor increases your HP but not your Defense or any other stat. It's used to counteract the Weapon Elements. For instance, some heavy armor may provide reduced damage from Slash attacks on you. You can have 2 accessories. An accessory can increase your stats by a small amount, but are more important for being able to increase your Elemental Damage and Resistance.

My game is all about ghosts and such, so the Host is a Ghost that "Hosts" you. Through combat you can salvage the Spirit of the Ghost and equip it as a Host, granting 3 skills to cast. Hosts have a fairly unique skill pool, the 3 selected are determined by the Spirit's prefix. A "Vengeful Ghost" will select attack based skills from that pool while a "Gracious Ghost" will select heal or buff type skills from the pool. There will be overlap for the skills that various ghosts are capable of giving off, but the prefix is meant to give you more options for your playstyle. So far I'm thinking of using Vengeful, Gracious and Wise as the prefixes, Wise being for magic attacks. There will be certain Hosts who are especially powerful in one prefix than another, so getting the right one will be beneficial. I'm still thinking about how to make the other prefixes viable, however, I don't really want a go to prefix for every Host because that would be limiting on the player. I think the Host system is the part I'll need the most feedback on. Here when I say "Ghost", I'm using at as a filler word for whatever name the Ghost could have. Vengeful Nekomaru, Gracious Mary, or Wise Mary are examples of what I mean.

The Artifact grants 1 Unique Skill. So, each party member will have at most 4 skills to cast (besides the ones I'll get to later). The Artifact's ability will usually be extremely powerful and cost the most mana or even cost HP. Artifacts are rare, some bosses drop them, others are Hidden in the world or found through side quests. I'm still deciding what constitutes being powerful enough for an Artifact only skill.

Just to clear up some possible confusion, like stated before, I'm using a Stat Allocation system. So when you level up, you can put a point into STR, DEF, INT, RES (magic defense), AGI, and LUK. Your HP can increase through your Armor and by a small amount every level up, but your MP is always 3. Every skill costs 1 MP (besides some Artifact skills). Every party member is given 2 free spells, Transfer and Mend. Mend is a Self Only Heal that costs 2 MP (for now). Transfer allows you to give a point of MP to another party member. Right now, Transfer and Guarding are the only ways to regain MP. I would like to remove Guarding and replace it with you restoring MP whenever you kill an enemy, but I've yet to find a way to do it.

Rep:
Level 76
Praise the Sun (Arcana)
As usual, super late with my "updates" which they are barely that. Funny thing is, I've gotten a good chunk of what I wanted done, I've just fallen into a couple traps when it comes to the game's art design. So, holding off that stuff for last, here's some things I'm proud of when it comes to Spirit Host's development:

Two New Screenshots (Trying not to spoil too much):

The combat Screenshot shows off 2 of the Skill Icons. Every icon is custom made, and they're actually all finished. Also the little ghost enemy there floats about during battle, so that's pretty neat. Another system I'm playing with is that you can interact with the Ghosts (your battle enemies), before the battle starts. Currently the ghosts will say things to you before the fighting happens, they can cower in fear, give you gifts, or even sacrifice their Soul to you. Some Ghosts react negatively to other sorts of Ghosts, some have their own unique personalities etc. Expect all of that in the new demo I've been claiming will exist :^) But it will!

Now I'm going to start ranting about things that have been on my mind and holding me back from progressing more. I don't expect anyone to read it, but it's better than keeping it locked in my head!
Spoiler for:
The artstyle I'm using for the game is CLEARLY Persona influenced. In my opinion it's a bit more than influenced, and I feel uneasy about that. I am flattered when people tell me the art reminds them of the brilliant art in Persona, but honestly, that isn't my "true" artstyle. When I work traditionally, with a pencil and eraser, my work looks almost nothing like what I create on my computer. Maybe it's some sort of digital curse that you slowly recreate your reference images whenever you work on a computer. I think I'm going to redo the art once more, and try my best to stay true to my notebook :D. A big problem I know I have when it comes to game development is that I hate working with placeholder art. I hit a wall in development when I recognize something missing artwise, then I start sketching for weeks instead of progressing the game. So the game might get a bit slower again, because I really want to pull away from being instantly likened to Persona. I guess that's it?
TLDR: Possible character art re-do. I will finish this.

Rep:
Level 96
There's nothing wrong with having an inspiration. :) (Just look at yuyu's stuff. :3)
There's also nothing wrong with wanting to mix things up. :)
I've already done 2 minor graphics overhauls on my game, with a 3rd on it's way.

There's three kinds of artists that I'm aware of.
When they look at their art, they think one of three things.
 - Good enough
 - Not good enough, yet
 - Never going to be good enough

The third isn't bad, but like you've already said, if two years from now you're redrawing the same character it's time to pull back a bit.
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Rep:
Level 72
~Few people understand the beauty of the night~
2014 Best Topic
boe already kinda hit it right on the nose, so, I second the above lolz

Also, I'm really looking forward to playing this. It looks awesome, and my own personal opinion of the art is that it's awesome. I've heard of Persona, but honestly, would never know that your game looks similar to that art style, because my limited exposure to it isn't enough to really base comparisons off of in that manner. I could also point out that if you want to look at a genre full of unique stories and the same art styles, look no further than most mainstream anime; they fit into one of a few number of art styles.. And people love them anyways lolz (no shame in admitting I'm one of those people).
Download http://a.tumblr.com/tumblr_lm5v281q6E1qde50fo1.mp3