RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[2k3] Placing level caps based on floor level...

Rep: +0/-0Level 54
RMRK Junior
I was trying to think up a unique leveling system where you will hit a level cap until you reach a new floor in my game.  Say, level 10 is the level cap until you defeat the first floor boss and get up to the second floor where those monsters deal out level 10-20 experience.  I feel as if this type of system would better bring balance and challenge to the game I am developing.  I messed with the level archings, however, I think I may have to code the experience gain into the monsters themselves.

Has anyone attempted this type of set up?  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.   :)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 01:04:20 AM by yuyu! »
There is but one future; which is dictated by the exercise of free will.

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
2014 Queen of RMRKProject of the Year 20142014 Best RPG Maker User - Story2011 Best Newbie2014 Kindest Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Creativity2013 Queen of RMRKBronze SS AuthorBronze Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.GOOD!For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best Yuyubabe Smiley2012 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity);o
Which game maker are you using?

I'm all up in your posts bwaaaah~ :pacman:
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 09:22:49 PM by Pacman »
Spoiler for My Games and Art:
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

The Lhuvia Tales [Current]

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Phoenix Wright: Haunted Turnabout [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

*crack*
Rep:
Level 64
2012 Most Unsung Member2012 Best NewbieFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots
I think I may have to code the experience gain into the monsters themselves.

I'm not sure if you want a scripter to do it for you or you think you can do it on your own, but need a helping hand?

It's actually just as easy as it sounds, it does not require any editing into the monsters themselves either.

I'm also editing this one.~ :pacman:
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 07:50:04 AM by Pacman »
All of my scripts are totally free to use for commercial use. You don't need to ask me for permission. I'm too lazy to update every single script post I ever made with this addendum. So ignore whatever "rule" I posted there. :)

All scripts can be found at: https://pastebin.com/u/diamondandplatinum3

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
2014 Queen of RMRKProject of the Year 20142014 Best RPG Maker User - Story2011 Best Newbie2014 Kindest Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Creativity2013 Queen of RMRKBronze SS AuthorBronze Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.GOOD!For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best Yuyubabe Smiley2012 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity);o
AHHHH!!! PACMAN POST RAPED ME!! :pacman:

~( o_o)~
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 11:09:02 PM by Irock »
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

RMRK Junior
AHH!! Sorry, I am using RPGM2K3.  So this is easier than I thought then?  o>o

actually, I am familiar with switches, loops and the like.  (some cpp background)  i was just not sure how to go about doing what i wanted to do.  can it be a condition from the map itself?  Or a parallel process event?  the bones of the RPGM2K3 seems pretty expansive if you know how to and where to apply programming.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 01:43:17 AM by Oturanjp »

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
AHHHH!!!
IROCK POST RAPED ME TOO!!! :irock2:

This be my turf, bitch. Expect nothing else when you're rolling in the scripts boards~ :pacman:
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 07:49:25 AM by Pacman »
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

Rep:
Level 77
RMRK Junior
Don't think it's possible with RM2K3. With XP, VX or VXA yes, but probably not 2K3.

Breakin' your HTML
Rep:
Level 74
Kurosuhato Rokkuriba (Crossed Heart, Rock River)

actually, I am familiar with switches, loops and the like.  (some cpp background)  i was just not sure how to go about doing what i wanted to do.  can it be a condition from the map itself?  Or a parallel process event?  the bones of the RPGM2K3 seems pretty expansive if you know how to and where to apply programming.

You can do it with RPGM2K3. You mainly have to use character conditions. I'd recommend two variables, One is the Conditional Character Level and the other is the main character's current level...

Conditional Character Level is greater than 10.

Current Character Level is less than 10: Access Denied

Current Character Level is Equal or Greater than 10: Access Granted

If you're doing this with more than 1 character then one more variable per character in your Party.

And you have to pile them up with Variable Conditions; The rest should be easy to figure out...
We were all newbies at first (Low Level), Then we suffer, We became greater as we fought (Mid Level) and now then we stare in the face of the end of the world! (High Level)

Rep:
Level 85
I solve practical problems.
For taking arms in the name of your breakfast.

You can do it with RPGM2K3. You mainly have to use character conditions. I'd recommend two variables, One is the Conditional Character Level and the other is the main character's current level...

If you're doing this with more than 1 character then one more variable per character in your Party.

And you have to pile them up with Variable Conditions; The rest should be easy to figure out...

I think he wants to limit the level to ten, tell me, does rm2k3 have a set max level in the character creation window in the editor? Is there an event command to manually change the max level? Cuz you could just set everyones max level to ten, then change it as they get to higher floors

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I AM BEING POST GANG BANGED :irock2:

It's okay, yuyu. 4 out of 5 people enjoy gang rape.~  :pacman:
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 05:45:03 AM by Pacman »
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

RMRK Junior
Alright, I took a deep look around at the level stuff.

I was thinking and came up with a round about solution.  I can place a class upgrade for 'hero'.  At each floor, the hero needs to talk to the level cap upgrader person.  Given the choice to upgrade or not would actually replace the Hero sprite with an updated one.  With a new minimum level and maximum level.

One issue I have with this is that the player not knowing the wiser, would have their hero's name changed to the default hero name.  Would there be an easy way to save the players hero name in a string somewhere and just call that and replace hero name during the change? 

Okay, I looked at this method as well.  This would be like games that don't let you past a curtain point without at least getting to that specific level right?  If worst comes to worst I might implement this method.  That does not prevent the player from gaining higher levels on a lower floor though.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 10:00:34 AM by Oturanjp »

Rep:
Level 77
RMRK Junior
If you really need to do this i would suggest upgrading if you have to. If you're using 2K3 just because of the Sideview battle system, I believe there are such scripts for XP and VX, not too sure about VXA because it's so new but there should be. You'll need a script to control level cap by variable.

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Pacman knows all about gang rape! :mad: :V
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

Rep:
Level 57
Miiiiaf =^+^=
GIAW 14: ParticipantParticipant - GIAW 11
If you really need to do this i would suggest upgrading if you have to. If you're using 2K3 just because of the Sideview battle system, I believe there are such scripts for XP and VX, not too sure about VXA because it's so new but there should be. You'll need a script to control level cap by variable.
Even in XP and VX a script is not necessary if you know enough about eventing...

But like Tera611Espada, you could make a conditional branch on the places where you can go to certain other areas that have a level cap and send the player back to the current map/area when they are not high enough level.
This would be putting the player level in a variable and checking it against a certain value, either sending them forward if they are high enough or keeping them where they are if they aren't.

Okay, I looked at this method as well.  This would be like games that don't let you past a curtain point without at least getting to that specific level right?  If worst comes to worst I might implement this method.  That does not prevent the player from gaining higher levels on a lower floor though.
This, is an easy one as well.. If you check the level in a common event (or any other parallel process) you can make it so that you get a message saying there is nothing left or even transfer the player to the next place.
Then you can add some switches to turn of enemies or whatever, just as you like... Maybe set Exp on 0 every second and let them still gain the gold from enemies, but they won't level any more??

Still don't need a script for anything!!
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 07:45:18 AM by Amycha19 »

As blonde as can be!!!
Doesn't mean I'm the dumb one...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Spoiler for supporting!:

Breakin' your HTML
Rep:
Level 74
Kurosuhato Rokkuriba (Crossed Heart, Rock River)
If you couldn't do the Conditional method... Then make 10 of the same hero then every switch increases the level limit everytime you proceed...

10, 20, 30 etc. Which means change main character from Hero Rank 1 to Hero Rank 2

And whenever the main character returns to party. Make common event with a conditional switch.

Name Comment Event: Return Hero
Condition [Level 10 Limit Removed] ON
Hero Rank 2 joins the Party. instead of Rank 1

IF OFF
Hero Rank 1 joins the party. instead of Rank 2.

NOTE: BE SURE TO GIVE THE CHARACTER THE SAME STATS AND TURN HIS HP AND MP to the original rank stats unless if removing the Level Limits heals the character as a reward for passing the first checkpoint.

So make 2 variables for the Previous Ranked Hero's Current HP and MP.
Turn the Rank 2 HP and MP to 1 Then remove the variable by 1 and recover the HP and MP with the two variables...

For the next ranked. MAKE SURE IT KEEPS THE ABILITIES OF THE PREVIOUS RANKED HERO.

Hope it helps! :) 

We were all newbies at first (Low Level), Then we suffer, We became greater as we fought (Mid Level) and now then we stare in the face of the end of the world! (High Level)