RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[VXA] Quest Journal 1.0.3

Rep: +0/-0Level 55
RMRK Junior
Hi,
I'm having some trouble with this. The script looks wonderful, but when I open up my project I get the error "Script 'Quest Journal Insturctions' line 3: SyntaxError occurred.

unexpected '.'
                #   Version: 1.0.1
How can I fix this? Also, would it be possible to use this with a ring menu script and if you don't mind me asking, how exactly could that be done?
Thanks!
Edit: Nevermind, fixed it! Getting this script to work with this ring menu script (http://www.rpgmakervxace.net/topic/1836-ring-menu-vxace/page__hl__%2Bring+%2Bmenu) would be really great though if anyone knows how.
Edit: Turns out their compatible! Nevermind.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 04:43:19 AM by username78 »

RMRK Junior
First off, thanks for the great script.

But I have a slight problem. I have made a custom category called "Notes" and included a quest in it, but the quest is also appearing in "Active" category. Is there any way to uninclude a quest in category.

Rep: +0/-0Level 68
RMRK Junior
Help, I get this error:

using delete_quest (2) or using reset_quest (2)

sorry for my bad English xD

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Most Mature Member2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
Sorry, there was an error in the script. It is now fixed and you can get the new script from the first post. Also, you shouldn't put a space between the command and the brackets. It should be:

Code: [Select]
delete_quest(2)

and not:

delete_quest (2)

But the error you are getting was my fault. Retrieve the script from the first post and replace it and it should work. You don't need to replace any of the configuration, you just need to change the part following this:

#==============================================================================
# *** DataManager
#++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
#  Summary of Changes:
#    aliased method - self.extract_save_contents

In the main post, it is line 807, but it may be different for you depending on your configuration.

@talias - sorry, there isn't.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 10:14:33 PM by modern algebra »

Rep:
Level 77
RMRK Junior
# *** DataManager
#  Summary of Changes:

class << DataManager
  #~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  # * Extract Save Contents
  alias maqj_extractsavecons_2kw5 extract_save_contents
  def extract_save_contents(*args, &block)
    maqj_extractsavecons_2kw5(*args, &block) # Call Original Method
    if $game_party.quests.nil?
      $game_party.init_maqj_data
      $game_system.init_maqj_data
    end
  end
end

# *** DataManager
#  Summary of Changes:

class << DataManager
  # * Extract Save Contents
  alias maqj_extractsavecons_2kw5 extract_save_contents
  def extract_save_contents(*args, &block)
    maqj_extractsavecons_2kw5(*args, &block) # Call Original Method
    if $game_party.quests.nil?
      $game_party.init_maqj_data
      $game_system.init_maqj_data
    end
  end
end

First is from the script at Pastebin and second is from my project. I don't see any difference...

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Most Mature Member2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
No, I meant everything after those lines. All I am saying is that if you have done any configuration on the script, you don't need to do it all over. You only need to replace everything after the identified lines and can keep all the configuration intact.

Totes Pupsicles
Was wondering if anyone could help me out with something. I'm just trying to get this script to plug into Yanfly's Ace Menu Engine but I can' seem to call the script into Yanfly's correctly. As of right now I've been able to get Tsukihime's "Select Skill System" working with it but not MA's quest journal. I'm probably just overlooking something quite obvious but any help would be much appreciated. I've never been much of a coding guy  :P

This is how Yanfly's code works for calling menu scenes:

when :item
        add_command(Vocab::item,   :item,   main_commands_enabled)
      when :skill
        add_command(Vocab::skill,  :skill,  main_commands_enabled)
      when :equip
        add_command(Vocab::equip,  :equip,  main_commands_enabled)
      when :status
        add_command(Vocab::status, :status, main_commands_enabled)
      when :battle_setup #<--- Tsukihime's Script
        add_command("Traits", :battle_skill, true)
      when :formation
        add_formation_command
      when :save
        add_original_commands
        add_save_command
      when :game_end
        add_game_end_command

Rep:
Level 97
Not able to test since I am not at my computer, but does it not work just to put the Quest Journal under Yanfly's script in the Script Editor (keeping in mind that you also would have had to set MENU_ACCESS to true at line 238 and chosen an index at line 240)?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 10:24:41 PM by modern algebra »

Totes Pupsicles
Yeah I've definitely made sure to read through your script and have marked it with an index number, and I always make sure to insert scripts properly based upon what they are most likely heavily modifying or overwriting. Yanfly's script ends up ignoring the listing of the index and instead just pushes all other menu options below the ones in his Menu Engine. I only ask if it's possible to incorporate the two together as Yanfly's script forces the Exit Game command to come before anything not being pulled by the Menu Engine. So in essence, my menu currently comes out like this:

Inventory
Equipment
Status
Skills
Tsukihime's Script
Formation
Save / Load
Exit Game
Quest Journal
Monster Catalogue

If you can't think of a way for Menu Engine Ace to incorporate your scripts I'll just keep trying to find a workaround. Thanks for your time though.

[EDIT]
I found a workaround, it involved me making a fake instance in Yanfly's script but not allowing the instance to actually show on the menu as a command. This for some reason moved the Save / Load command and the Exit Game commands to the bottom. Its weird and I'm hoping this doesn't lead to strange errors later.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 07:26:35 AM by lostboyrufio »

Rep:
Level 97
Hm, well I'm glad it's fixed for you.

I just tried the two scripts together and it worked fine; I wasn't able to reproduce the problem. Any chance that you could do me a favour and make a new game with the initial error reproduced? I'd like to see what was going wrong so that I could fix it for other users.

Rep: +0/-0Level 73
RMRK Junior
Yeah I've definitely made sure to read through your script and have marked it with an index number, and I always make sure to insert scripts properly based upon what they are most likely heavily modifying or overwriting. Yanfly's script ends up ignoring the listing of the index and instead just pushes all other menu options below the ones in his Menu Engine. I only ask if it's possible to incorporate the two together as Yanfly's script forces the Exit Game command to come before anything not being pulled by the Menu Engine. So in essence, my menu currently comes out like this:

Inventory
Equipment
Status
Skills
Tsukihime's Script
Formation
Save / Load
Exit Game
Quest Journal
Monster Catalogue

If you can't think of a way for Menu Engine Ace to incorporate your scripts I'll just keep trying to find a workaround. Thanks for your time though.

[EDIT]
I found a workaround, it involved me making a fake instance in Yanfly's script but not allowing the instance to actually show on the menu as a command. This for some reason moved the Save / Load command and the Exit Game commands to the bottom. Its weird and I'm hoping this doesn't lead to strange errors later.

How exactly did you go about doing this? I'm trying to call this script with yanflies as well. I have gotten the Quest Journal icon itself to appear, but upon clicking it my games crashes.

#--------------------------------------------------------------------------
  # new method: command_journal
  #--------------------------------------------------------------------------
  def command_journal
    return unless $imported['MA_QuestJournal_1.0']
    SceneManager.call(Scene_Quest)
  end
^My Method inside yanflies (When the object is chosen from the menu this method is called to open the "Scene_Quest" Which is where I'm assuming the window setup is.)

for command in YEA::MENU::COMMANDS
      case command
      #--- Default Commands ---
      when :item
        add_command(Vocab::item,   :item,   main_commands_enabled)
      when :skill
        add_command(Vocab::skill,  :skill,  main_commands_enabled)
      when :equip
        add_command(Vocab::equip,  :equip,  main_commands_enabled)
      when :status
        add_command(Vocab::status, :status, main_commands_enabled)
      when :journal
        add_command("Journal", :command_journal, true)
      when :formation
        add_formation_command
      when :save
        add_original_commands
        add_save_command
      when :game_end
        add_game_end_command

And here's where I created the journal inside the menu commands.

Please, any help? I might be using the wrong scene perhaps?

Rep:
Level 97
As long as the Quest Journal is below YEA Menu Engine, you shouldn't need to edit anything in either script. It ought to be added to the menu automatically, and whenever I've tested it that is exactly what happens. I uploaded a project where I just pasted the two scripts into the same project, without editing anything at all, and it works fine.

Anyway, obviously it's a real problem, so could you please create a project with that error and share it so that I can see what is going wrong? I'd like to be able to fix this error.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 05:11:11 AM by modern algebra »

RMRK Junior
As long as the Quest Journal is below YEA Menu Engine, you shouldn't need to edit anything in either script. It ought to be added to the menu automatically, and whenever I've tested it that is exactly what happens. I uploaded a project where I just pasted the two scripts into the same project, without editing anything at all, and it works fine.

Anyway, obviously it's a real problem, so could you please create a project with that error and share it so that I can see what is going wrong? I'd like to be able to fix this error.

Yes, but I am using a "Ring" menu system Since I do not use all of the menu options and im making a "Horror" game not a RPG I needed a simpler menu, when I put both scripts together (yours below yafles) the icon for the script does not appear. This is why I tried to create my own method. This method setup I am using makes the icon appear, however when selected the whole game itself crashes/freezes.

Here's an example of my menu system: http://screensnapr.com/v/pNrKIu.jpg
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 03:20:21 AM by timedead »

Rep:
Level 97
I'd need to see the ring menu script itself.

RMRK Junior

Rep:
Level 97
Well, it seems to work for me; I put the scripts in this order:

YEA Menu
Ring Menu
Quest Journal

All I needed to do was name a picture "Quests Icon" and it worked without any modifications to any script. A demo is attached.

RMRK Junior
Well, it seems to work for me; I put the scripts in this order:

YEA Menu
Ring Menu
Quest Journal

All I needed to do was name a picture "Quests Icon" and it worked without any modifications to any script. A demo is attached.

It doesn't seem to work for me...

Rep:
Level 77
RMRK Junior
It works on my end, only problem is there are empty icon spaces next to the options on the title menu and other stuff like that.

RMRK Junior
It works on my end, only problem is there are empty icon spaces next to the options on the title menu and other stuff like that.

I have it setup like in the demo, I also use other menu editing scripts like yafle's status and item menu screens. Any idea if those could interfere?

Rep:
Level 97
It might be possible. Try adding your other scripts into the working demo one by one and tell me when you hit a snag. Then upload that demo and tell me which script was the last that you added.

@Wiimeiser - that would happen whether you use the Quest Journal or not. If it's an error, it's an error inherent to YEA Menu.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 12:02:17 PM by modern algebra »

RMRK Junior
It might be possible. Try adding your other scripts into the working demo one by one and tell me when you hit a snag. Then upload that demo and tell me which script was the last that you added.

@Wiimeiser - that would happen whether you use the Quest Journal or not. If it's an error, it's an error inherent to YEA Menu.

I implemented all my scripts into your demo, and it still works, what possibly could be the problem?

EDIT: Would you mine actually taking a peak at the demo and giving me your thoughts?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 04:07:18 AM by timedead »

Rep:
Level 97
Might it be that you are still using the version of YEA Menu Engine that you had tried to edit? Try replacing it with a fresh copy. If that doesn't work, then I could take a look at your project - just upload it.

RMRK Junior
Might it be that you are still using the version of YEA Menu Engine that you had tried to edit? Try replacing it with a fresh copy. If that doesn't work, then I could take a look at your project - just upload it.

I coudln't get it, I pm'd you a demo. :/ Sorry.

Rep:
Level 97
Thanks, I will take a look when I get the chance

pokeball YinOfflineFemale
Rep:
Level 86
I've been using this script for about a day and just wanted to know a few things before I customize it completely:

Is there a way to change the color of the blue lines?
Could I hide categories until a quest from that category is unlocked?
Could I add more to the description of a quest through a script call or by flipping a switch or variable?