RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[Request] Jungle mapping tutorial

Hurr durr
Rep:
Level 87
Hamburger? What Hamburger?
I am looking for someone to make a jungle mapping tutorial, with this tileset:

Spoiler for:
*I already know how to do a square style jungle, but I don't think that's even good enough.
Current Project:
Altaria: Deus ex Machina (in progress)

pokeball joyOfflineFemale
Rep:
Level 85
I heard the voice of the salt in the desert
2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)Project of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)2011 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)2011 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)Winner - 2011 Winter Project of the Season2010 Best Artist2010 Best RPG Maker User (Graphical)2010 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)2014 Best RPG Maker User - Graphics2014 Best RPG Maker User - Mapping2014 Best Artist2013 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)2013 Best RPG Maker User (Graphical)2010 Most Attractive Female Member2010 Most Deserving Of A Promotion
I did give you some pointers, and you did seem to ignore them..I seem to remember something like "well I'm keeping it this way" or something like that.

Rep:
Level 83
Apprentice Mapper
wheres sirius when ya need him...
Im a RPG Maker Vetren, ive used 2K, 2K3, RMXP, and RMVX, I have my likes and dislikes with them all.

Hurr durr
Rep:
Level 87
I changed my mind, but no matter how hard I wrack my brain around it, I can't seem to figure out to make proper non-straight edges and sides, well you know what I mean. Like diagonal. I'm taking your advice, it's just that I have a hard time doing this.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 02:09:38 AM by Miles Castea »
Current Project:

Rep:
Level 83
Apprentice Mapper
i have the same problem. i use the circle hing for most of my not so straight stuff... only way i can do it. but. maybe sirius will find it an still do a tut for the other people.
Im a RPG Maker Vetren, ive used 2K, 2K3, RMXP, and RMVX, I have my likes and dislikes with them all.

Hurr durr
Rep:
Level 87
Who's Sirius?
Current Project:

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Project of the Month winner for June 2009
wheres sirius when ya need him...

He's more r2k, though I'm sure he knows his way around XP.

Rep:
Level 83
Apprentice Mapper
its a map tut. he can accomplish it....

Rep:
Level 85
2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)Project of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)2011 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)2011 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)Winner - 2011 Winter Project of the Season2010 Best Artist2010 Best RPG Maker User (Graphical)2010 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)2014 Best RPG Maker User - Graphics2014 Best RPG Maker User - Mapping2014 Best Artist2013 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)2013 Best RPG Maker User (Graphical)2010 Most Attractive Female Member2010 Most Deserving Of A Promotion
However, should he bother when someone else tried and was met with rudeness..that's up to him. I've certainly learned my lesson about helping the ungrateful.

Hurr durr
Rep:
Level 87
However, should he bother when someone else tried and was met with rudeness..that's up to him. I've certainly learned my lesson about helping the ungrateful.
I'm sorry that I ignored you...I did tell you thank you right?
It's just that trying to figure out how to make a diagonal like is hard for me. >_<
Current Project:

Rep:
Level 83
Apprentice Mapper
but, theres other people out there that would appriciate it other than mr. ungreatful.... ( like me for instance.) the diagonal thing kills me.

Rep:
Level 85
I may consider making a tutorial sometime this weekend, depends on how my schedule looks.

Rep:
Level 83
Apprentice Mapper
  well, im working with vx.... but i look at the other tuts an it helps even though its on a differant maker it dont matter much other than the differant shipsets. but ok ill look forward to it.

Hurr durr
Rep:
Level 87
I may consider making a tutorial sometime this weekend, depends on how my schedule looks.
Gracias! *ultraglomps*
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 02:32:01 AM by Miles Castea »
Current Project:

Rep:
Level 83
Apprentice Mapper

Rep:
Level 86
Sonic Dog -> Light Spear -> Overlimit -> Slash
Wow, 4 people have posted while I've been typing this... Anyway-

Heh, I never dug into XP, sorry... I used up that good ol' trial a few years back, and then sort of slipped back into 2k3.

Judging by the look of the tileset, though,

Spoiler for:
and snooping through the screenshot thread :-[

it looks like the exact same mapping dilemma I had with FSM. Notice how you have these following possible candidates for your thick forest  --->Not just the top one!!!<---:

Think of those as convex (the bottom ones) and concave (top one) possibilities for your jungle. Work out a rough idea of what you want the landscape to look like with just simple grass (don't make it a square! It makes it more fun that way, and doesn't aggravate people), set up your trunk tiles on the second layer all along any of the back borders you may have (at least I think... Like I said, I don't use XP. You'll want to make a sandwich with the leaves and the background), and now the magic begins.

Of course, I can't show with pictures without a functioning copy of XP, but Joy did indeed post a perfectly good example on the screenshot thread (and her tutorial will be a lot more helpful, just as long as you're good to her in the mean time). Take another good, hard look at that map, it'll explain a lot.

I know a text-based explanation can't get most people far, so either do the lazy thing and wait for Joy to take care of you (again), or do the smart thing and use what she's already given you. Practice by making a replica of that map (not exact, of course, that's plagiarism. Even for maps.), then make a couple of your own before you even think about putting one in your game.

Get used to which tree tile goes where, work out every rough area of your map, and practice by making a couple more. It may be frustrating at first, but you'll be slapping yourself later when you bust out 5 awesome, diagonal maps.

I guess sometimes you just have to figure things out for yourself. OR you can figure things out using what people have already given you; whether it has a "Tutorial" label on it or not.