RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Dragonica is not always awesome.

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
I need more RAM and a better video card. As for the video card, I just need something that's just okay: good enough to get me through low to medium-end games.

As for the RAM, any information as what would be good would be cool.

Now, having never done this before, I've got some questions, lol:
1) Do stores sell any of this?
2) Do all parts work with every computer?

My guess is "yes" for both. Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 02:25:53 PM by mastermoo420 »

pokeball :)OfflineMale
Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
specs of current computer please.
Watch out for: HaloOfTheSun

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
Uh, it's basically a Dell Dimension 4100, whatever the heck may be in it. Here's what the comp says:

Windows XP Professional
SP2

Intel(R)
Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.20 GHz
2.19 GHz
128 MB of RAM (LOL)

My video card would be: Intel(R)82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller (Intel(R) 82845G Graphics Controller), which I know is probably crap.

Chodemeister
Rep:
Level 84
sounds like my shitty laptop
glad to know I'm not the only one suffering :P
Tahl died when I got my WoW account activated lol
And I lost my GoE 1 & 2 unecrypted data when my backup harddrive died after I reformatted...go figure
-GoE http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,30050.0.html
-GoE2 http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,30045.0.html

Rep:
Level 98
2010 Best Veteran2014 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2014 King of RMRK2014 Favorite Staff Member2014 Best Counsel2014 Best Writer2014 Most Mature Member2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.Secret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Best Counsel2011 Best Writer2010 Funniest Member2010 Best Writer
You're going to have to know what type of RAM you have. Get CPUz, take a screenshot of both of the tabs
you awoke in a burning paperhouse
from the infinite fields of dreamless sleep

( ´ิ(ꈊ) ´ิ) ((≡^⚲͜^≡)) (ી(΄◞ิ౪◟ิ‵)ʃ)
Rep:
Level 102
(っ˘ڡ˘ς) ʕ•̼͛͡•ʕ-̺͛͡•ʔ•̮͛͡•ʔ (*ꆤ.̫ꆤ*)
2014 Avast Ye Merry Pirate!2013 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award2012 Avast Ye Merry Pirate AwardFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Avast Ye Merry Pirate2011 Most Unsung Member2010 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award
Jesus christ 128mb ram.

make that 1GB+ and that thing will run nicely. The memory tab of CPU-Z tells you what type of memory you have. Since it's a 2.2 P4, it's almost definitely DDR, in which case get this:

pqi POWER Series 1GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Desktop Memory ($22). Or 2 of them, if you have 2 slots. I run with a similar powered CPU and 1.5GB DDR400, it's pretty nice =o.

Check the mainboard tab of your CPU-Z too, and look under graphics interface. Though it might be misleading. Sometimes motherboards have a built in AGP bus for the built in graphics chips (intel is integrated, not a standalone card) and actually have no slot. You'll need to look inside your computer for the easiest way of telling if you have an AGP slot.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 01:23:36 PM by Roph »
bringing sexy back

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
Yeah, It's DDR.

There's nothing under "Graphics Interface." I'll check for an AGP slot when/if I get my RAM.

EDIT: YAY! My parents are buying me it. :) Now it's only a matter of 3-7 days, I think.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 08:00:26 PM by mastermoo420 »

Rep:
Level 96
2011 Most Missed Member2010 Zero To Hero
Lucky you! 8D Congratz.

Walking Billboard
Rep:
Level 87
Feel special, i had to pay for my own RAM  :tpg:

Spoiler for:
It's damn good RAM though  :tpg:

the sixty dollar stuff.

Which probably isn't that expensive, but it runs reaaaaal nice  8)

Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
booo ram  :mad:

hope it runs well :D

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
Feel special, i had to pay for my own RAM  :tpg:

Spoiler for:
It's damn good RAM though  :tpg:

the sixty dollar stuff.

Which probably isn't that expensive, but it runs reaaaaal nice  8)
I kinda have to pay for half of it. Being 14, I get allowance so it's, like, kinda paying for it... >_> I'm assuming you worked for your money, which must feel all the sweeter.

@Noum: Why boo ?_?

Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
I was just kidding  ;9

Shadow Knight
Rep:
Level 91
Ruin that brick wall!
Project of the Month winner for October 2008
what

Congrats moo. ;8
Be kind, everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

You zetta sons of digits.
Rep:
Level 91
SMEEEEE HEEEEEE
I get my college to pay it for me :D

£700-£1200 is what im getting this year :)

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
YAY! INSTALLED AND WORKING. THINGS ARE SO MUCH NICER. <3 The only time things freeze up is when the internet's just too slow.

Walking Billboard
Rep:
Level 87
I love my sixty dollar ram too, so i shall rejoice with you :3

seriously though, if i use someone else's computer, than i won't be able to run all of my applications without it freezing constantly. When i move out, i'm ripping the ram out of my computer and keeping it with me for all time. No one else is allowed to have it.

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
Lololol. Mine was $28 and I would move it to my better comp in the future but it's DDR2.

Rep:
Level 87
I love my sixty dollar ram too, so i shall rejoice with you :3

seriously though, if i use someone else's computer, than i won't be able to run all of my applications without it freezing constantly. When i move out, i'm ripping the ram out of my computer and keeping it with me for all time. No one else is allowed to have it.

*twitches after reading* Hey, kitkatkan and mastermoo, you may want to keep your anti-static bags (that should've came with your RAM inside of them) if you were ever thinking of throwing them out.
Fun fact?: Touching the circuitry with your fingers or any card can damage the lifespan.

Relieves ideas through Rmvx, all the while training to become an enthusiastic pain of a technician in the system's back-side.

Rep:
Level 96
2010 Most Attractive Male Member2010 Best Musician
I'm pretty sure RAM is RAM, guys. $60 1 gig RAM is exactly the same as $22 1 gig RAM.

I have 2 gigs in my macbook. Cost me about $40. If I'd bought through Apple's store, it would have cost me upwards of $70.

So, shop around. Or listen to Roph.

:tinysmile::tinysmile:

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for December 2009Project of the Month winner for August 20082011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
I'm pretty sure RAM is RAM, guys. $60 1 gig RAM is exactly the same as $22 1 gig RAM.

I have 2 gigs in my macbook. Cost me about $40. If I'd bought through Apple's store, it would have cost me upwards of $70.

So, shop around. Or listen to Roph.

there's different types of ram, that work with different processors.  you need to get RAM based on the processor you have.  I'm not certain why price is different, but perhaps it has to do with more powerful processors or something.

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

Rep:
Level 96
Well I know that, but I meant beyond that. The exact same RAM, that will work in the exact same computer, can have radically different prices depending on where you buy it. That was my point. And it has to do with buying through a supplier or factory direct.

You zetta sons of digits.
Rep:
Level 91
SMEEEEE HEEEEEE
The faster the RAM the more it costs,also 1x1gig is better than 1x2gig, and like anything else you pay for the brand :/

Also depends on if it's DDR2/3

DDR3 Cost a hell of a lot more D:

Rep:
Level 96
http://store.apple.com/us/memorymodel/ME_13_2_2_MB_G4
Apple Memory Module 2GB 667MHz DDR2 (PC2-5300) 2x1GB SO-DIMMs
2 x 1gig = $150.

http://www.memorysuppliers.com/ir1gbddpc66s.html
iRam 1GB DDR2 PC2-5300 667MHz 200-Pin SDRAM SODIMM
2 x 1gig = $54.

Both DDR2. Both 667MHz. Both PC2-5300 speed. Both 100% compatible with my computer.

Price != Quality. That's all I'm saying. Nothing more or less.

Rep:
Level 92
The Return of Mandy
http://store.apple.com/us/memorymodel/ME_13_2_2_MB_G4
Apple Memory Module 2GB 667MHz DDR2 (PC2-5300) 2x1GB SO-DIMMs
2 x 1gig = $150.

http://www.memorysuppliers.com/ir1gbddpc66s.html
iRam 1GB DDR2 PC2-5300 667MHz 200-Pin SDRAM SODIMM
2 x 1gig = $54.

Both DDR2. Both 667MHz. Both PC2-5300 speed. Both 100% compatible with my computer.

Price != Quality. That's all I'm saying. Nothing more or less.

OMG Fail on the Apple Ram. All they did was emblazon their Apple logo and magically its costs $150. If your going to get RAM, you can find some of the best deals online at www.newegg.com and www.tigerdirect.com . As a general rule of thumb your going to pay more for the "look"of the ram (ie heatspreaders etc) and the lower CAS latency times (lower is better in most cases). Generally, older ram actually costs more just because. I assume they have some sort of imaginary short supply for older ram.

Oh and If you need to figure out how much RAM your computer can take and the maximum speed crucial has a nice tool on their website that works nearly every consumer based computer. You just punch  in the brand and model number and it will tell you how much each slot can hold and what the maximum speed your motherboard is designed for.

Where there are no gold stars, demerits, or infractions. <3

Rep:
Level 98
2010 Best Veteran2014 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2014 King of RMRK2014 Favorite Staff Member2014 Best Counsel2014 Best Writer2014 Most Mature Member2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.Secret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Best Counsel2011 Best Writer2010 Funniest Member2010 Best Writer
CRANKEYE WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN
you awoke in a burning paperhouse
from the infinite fields of dreamless sleep