RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[XP] Vacant Sky Complete Edition: Act I+ Released!

Rep:
Level 86
Bellicose Calamity
Project of the Month winner for March 2008
An honor!  Thanks for the nomination. :)

In related news, Vacant Sky had phenomenal performance at the RMN Misao awards this year, cleaning house with the following awards:

Best Storytelling & Direction
Best Character Design
Best Setting
Best Atmosphere
Best Graphics & Artwork
Best Sound & Music
Most Technical Prowess
Best Level Design
Best Gameplay Mechanics
Best Interface Design
and lastly, Game of the Year!

Thanks to everyone who's supported Vacant Sky over the course of these past six years.  I'm sorry the Complete Edition is taking so long, but I'm making sure it's perfect before pushing it out the door (so we don't get a repeat of Act I).

Rep:
Level 86
Bellicose Calamity

Save the date.

Rep:
Level 86
Bellicose Calamity
Two years ago today, Act I of Vacant Sky was released after sitting around for nearly four years in development.  In the time since then, Project BC, the team formed to build the game, has grown in size, skill, and scope.  Two more episodes have been released since then, bringing the story of Auria to a close.  In celebration of today, I'd like to comment briefly on the projects we're working on at the moment as well as to unveil some of the new things to expect in the future.

The World Is Made of Paper Demo
Before I start on the Vacant Sky-related announcements, I'd like to mention a non-Vacant Sky-related project.  Isabel (aka Ganonfrog, mysterialize) recently released the demo for The World Is Made of Paper, a "modern fantasy, psychological whosawhatsit" visual novel written and illustrated entirely by her.  You can grab it on RMN right here: http://rpgmaker.net/games/2954/

Vacant Sky Complete Edition
The big project currently being undertaken is the Complete Edition, a compilation of all three acts of Auria's story with updated mechanics, overhauled gameplay, updated story, new artwork, and more new optional content than the first three games combined.

One example of the updated areas in the game is the Hall of Legends, which now features cosmetic lighting to add to the atmosphere.

On top of that, two new story routes are being introduced in the Complete Edition of Vacant Sky which open up in Act II and unlock completely new scenarios for Act III.  Essentially, there are three completely different Acts III depending on the choices you make throughout the rest of the game.  The Complete Edition, currently in early beta, was selected to appear at this year's Made in MA pre-PAX party where attendees were able to try out the game in its current state.

The battle system has come a long way from Act I, including revised mechanics, a streamlined interface, and many new customization options.

Complete Edition Soundtrack
One of the most-praised aspects of Vacant Sky has always been its music.  Now totaling more than 70 songs, the soundtrack will soon be available in high quality for digital download for a small price.  By purchasing the soundtrack and supporting all of our hard work, you'll also receive several unreleased tracks which didn't make it into the game.  Enjoy the music and help us keep our games free in the future!

Watch this space for more details on when the soundtrack will be available.

Vacant Sky C3
The second new commercial piece of Vacant Sky merchandise I'd like to announce is the Vacant Sky Contention Complete Collection (C3), a making of artbook which will include concept art, development notes, a complete walkthrough, a behind the scenes look at the development of the world and characters, and tons of other extras. 

Illustration by Lauren Pehnke ( http://flitephoto.deviantart.com )

There's currently no estimate regarding when C3 or the Complete Edition will be released.  Considering every past attempt to make a release date has resulted in a delay, I'm planning to hold off on making a guess until they're nearly complete.

And lastly, there's one more new project I'd like to announce in collaboration with Ereth from RRR.

Illustrations by Lauren Pehnke ( http://flitephoto.deviantart.com )

Vacant Sky Origins is a prequel novel, set two years before the start of Contention.  It follows the story of veteran cop Blaise Tearson and fledgling detective Matthew Rhode as they attempt to uncover the mystery behind a string of disappearances related to consumer electronics giant Lykken Corporation.  The story introduces several of the key players from Contention and explores their backstory and motivation, both of which were originally intended to be part of the game but hit the cutting room floor.  The story of Origins will shed light on some of the mysteries of the world of Vacant Sky, answering some questions and raising many more.

With that, I'll bring this post to a close.  It's been an amazing few years working with great people to build this world and it's been a great pleasure to share it with all of you.  I hope you continue to stick around and check out what we have to offer.  Hopefully, I've been able to show that the future holds some really exciting things.

Thanks for making this an exciting two years and here's to many more!

Rep:
Level 73
Collapse.
I'm so excited for the complete version!
GOD!

Rep:
Level 86
Bellicose Calamity
http://vacantsky.bandcamp.com/

The complete Vacant Sky soundtrack, Sounds of Contention, is now available for digital download on Bandcamp.com.  The soundtrack contains comes packaged with 70 songs plus another 10 previously-unheard tracks as a special bonus.

Support Vacant Sky and get great music while you're at it!

Rep:
Level 89
slate furry thing
Oh maaaaaan, I completley forgot about this game! I remember playing the first (or maybe second?) version of a demo of Act I...

I'll do my best to wait on the complete edition, because I am suddenly tempted to download this game. (There's only gonna be three arcs right, making that the last version?)

Rep:
Level 74
RMRK Junior - - Cute Pegasus Pony

In act ii I keep getting an error when trying to access the ascensions menu.

Here.

http://home.comcast.net/~nekohibiki/error.png

---

Signature

If you are a believer of Jesus Christ, and are 100% proud of it, put this in your sig!!

- Nightgazer Starlight, Loyal Servant of The Royal Pony Sisters Princess Celestia and Princess Luna... Forever Equestria!

Rep:
Level 86
Bellicose Calamity
That's strange; I've never heard of that happening before.  Did you start a new game in Act II or import an Act I save?

Rep:
Level 74
RMRK Junior - - Cute Pegasus Pony
That's strange; I've never heard of that happening before.  Did you start a new game in Act II or import an Act I save?

Started new game.

I'll download it again soon.

Maybe I got a bad download or something there.

---

Signature

If you are a believer of Jesus Christ, and are 100% proud of it, put this in your sig!!

- Nightgazer Starlight, Loyal Servant of The Royal Pony Sisters Princess Celestia and Princess Luna... Forever Equestria!

Rep:
Level 86
Bellicose Calamity
I was recently interviewed for AX's Indie Insider column on Vacant Sky and the RPG Maker scene.  Check it out here: http://inside.anime-expo.org/ax-scoop/2011-04/indie-insider-interview-with-vacant-sky-creator-bishop-myers/

Rep:
Level 86
Bellicose Calamity
The Complete Edition is coming along nicely. At the moment, the finishing touches are being put on Act II. I've been holding off on putting out new screenshots for a while since the game is getting some heavy graphical updates and most of them aren't in place yet.

However, here's a look at the new Hall of Legends:

The static effect looks no good on a still image, but otherwise you can see some of the new visual effects: cosmetic lighting has been added to certain areas and a new scrolling backdrop has been added to enhance the feel of the Void.

Stay tuned next week, hopefully with some new features!

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Most Mature MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
That looks gorgeous! Great stuff Sailerius

Rep:
Level 86
Bellicose Calamity
This week's screenshot is from Act I+ and shows off one of the new areas.
The beginning of Act I has been completely overhauled and a couple new areas have been added to explore in Act I+, including this mountain pass north of Ciel. You'll be able to return here in Act II and Act III for an optional dungeon and some sidequests.

Rep:
Level 86
Bellicose Calamity
This week's update is from the new ending of Act I. The Mortagne and Kinthrope segments have been streamlined into one scene which combines the events of both.

Rep:
Level 86
Bellicose Calamity
This week, let's take a look at a new feature to the Complete Edition: Exceptions.
Exceptions in the Complete Edition work similarly to how Charges worked in the original version. In the original version of Vacant Sky, Auria could store up Charges to perform special attacks. That system has been expanded.

Now, every party member has the "Charge" command, which increases the party's stock of EP (Exception Points), which is indicated by the glowing lights beneath the turn gauge. Furthermore, each party member has a number of "Exceptions," or special attacks which consume EP to use. Auria's special abilities, such as Rend to Sorrows, are now examples of Exceptions.

Because every party member has the ability to pull from the stock of EP, the amount that you can have is now easier to increase. Through sidequests, you gain the ability to store more EP. Similarly, most Exceptions must be unlocked through sidequests, although some are given to you through plot advancement.

Rep:
Level 76
Praise the Sun (Arcana)
GIAW 14: 1st Place (Hard Mode)
This just gets better and better. I still can't get over how awesome those faces look.

Rep:
Level 86
Bellicose Calamity
This just gets better and better. I still can't get over how awesome those faces look.
Haha, thank you. :P I'll send your compliments to Salice.

This week's screenshot is from early into one of the new Act III scenarios, an ending route called Reprieve.

I'm also happy to report that Act II has now gone into full beta, so all that's left is to finish touching up Act III. Most of the work to be done with Act III involves adding new content, which is a lot easier than revising old content! Look forward to more updates in the near future.

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Most Mature MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
It looks so good Sailerius! Keep up the awesome work!

Rep:
Level 86
Bellicose Calamity
New wallpaper to celebrate a year since Act III's release!

Raped by DrSword
Rep:
Level 83
Dance with the enemy
Contestant - GIAW 10Contestant - GIAW 9
I've never had any luck with laptops, so while I have a new one I'm playing from Act I and may I say Saileirus, bravo.

Rep:
Level 86
Bellicose Calamity
I hope you('re) enjoy(ing) it!

Raped by DrSword
Rep:
Level 83
Dance with the enemy
I really am! Currently I'm tied for my favourite RM games between this and Witchtooth XD

Rep:
Level 86
Bellicose Calamity
Great to hear!

For those of you who enjoyed Vacant Sky, consider checking out Ars Harmonia, a new web original set in the same universe.

Rep:
Level 86
Bellicose Calamity
http://www.mediafire.com/?gdkjjtubmedd8e2
http://projectbc.wordpress.com/2012/08/31/vacant-sky-complete-edition-act-i-released/

It's finally here.

For those who have been holding off on starting the series, this is a perfect place to start! Act I+ is a fresh start and expects no past knowledge of the series. It brings in significant improvements to the story, graphics, and gameplay.

I hope you guys enjoy playing it!

Raped by DrSword
Rep:
Level 83
Dance with the enemy
I will download this immediately.