RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Midnight - Enter the Survival Horror (DEMO + Teaser Trailer)

Wandering Artist
Rep:
Level 86
You got a problem? Fix by yourself.
Project of the Month winner for July 2009
Finally, I've found the error! I think this happened on computer without RPGXP.
After the title screen, I still can hear the intro song but it's blank and.... 'the script is hanging'.
...still don't know what's the cause. I'll try figure it out if I can.

Revolution is not a bed of roses.
Rep:
Level 91
Project of the Month winner for July 2009
Script is hanging basically means there's a shitload of lag. It can be the game, or your computer.

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
2013 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)Gold - GIAW 11 (Hard)Randomizer - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)2012 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantGold - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for September 2008For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2011 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2011 Kindest Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Most Deserving Of A Promotion2010 Best RPG Maker User (Technical)
Well, I might be able to solve that problem in this update.

UPDATE!

I'm approximately 85% finished. It's taking a while now because of the sheer number of possible scenerio's from the choices you make throughout the entire game. Based on your choices, it's possible to obtain 6 different endings (each of which can also vary depending on which characters you saved), 3 different methods of escape, and 2 different final bosses. In terms of features I haven't added anything new, but at this point in the game I doubt I'll really add anything.

Now then, I'm planning releasing 3 seperate versions of the game due to certain technical problems.

Version One:

It includes everything I've already told you about, EXCEPT for the merchant and upgradable guns. I'm having a slight problem with the system, so for this version I'm just gonna remove it altogether. But to make up for having only one weapon I'll give the player unlimited ammo, just like in the demo (medicine will still be limited). I expect to finish it by the end of February.

Version Two:

The exact same as version one, except that I'll remove mode seven from the game due to some people having a problem with the lag that it causes for slower computers. It's not imperitive to the game, so screw it. I'll release version two the same time as version one.

Version Three:

This version is basically the one I imagined when I started making Midnight. It will include everything I've mentioned so far (version one plus merchant system and limited ammo), AND give the player access to different weapons. I'm experimenting right now with creating a shotgun (wider range), uzi (faster rate of fire), revolver (greater power), and the famous RE rocket launcher. In addition, I'm also going to include a mini-game that you can play after you've beaten the main game. It basically puts you in the role of the antagonist and explains what he/she/it was doing while you were slaughtering zombies.

Whew, that was a long post...

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
2013 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)Gold - GIAW 11 (Hard)Randomizer - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)2012 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantGold - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for September 2008For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2011 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2011 Kindest Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Most Deserving Of A Promotion2010 Best RPG Maker User (Technical)
Next person to post here gets their real name added to my game.

moew
Rep:
Level 91
Queen Princess
2013 Most Missed Member2012 Most Missed Member;o hee hee <3For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki
:taco: :taco: :taco:

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
What name would you like added to the game?

moew
Rep:
Level 91
Queen Princess
2013 Most Missed Member2012 Most Missed Member;o hee hee <3For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki
Rasse Johansson-Collignon

and yeah that's my name

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for August 2008Project of the Month winner for December 20092011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
honestly man, instead of rushing to get a version of your game out that isn't complete, you should hold off and just shoot for Version 3

but that's just what I think

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
I'm seperating version 1 from version 3 due to the fact that I'm not sure about my capablities and time. It could take months for me to get these extra's working properly, and since they are not necessary to play the game I'm just going to release a version that does not include them. Think of it like Kingdom Hearts and Kingdom Hearts: Final Mix. The additions in Final Mix were nice but not necessary.

And Officer Rasse Johansson has now been added to the game. The character does not actually make an appearence in the game, but there are frequent references to Rasse in several of the notes you find lying around the mansion.

moew
Rep:
Level 91
Queen Princess
This game got like twice as interesting now B) It's looking good anyways, man.

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 01:22:04 PM by Zylos »

Rep:
Level 86
Hell Blade © 2008, All Rights Reserved
Awesome game! ;D ;D ;D

Rep: +0/-0Level 86
All whom sprite shall be gifted in the end...
Great game, demo size to big...  :)

Rep:
Level 98
2010 Best Veteran2014 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2014 Favorite Staff Member2014 King of RMRK2014 Best Counsel2014 Best Writer2014 Most Mature Member2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.Secret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Best Counsel2011 Best Writer2010 Best IRC Chatterbox2010 Best Writer

and yeah that's my name

Candlejack told me that Skankers real name is Ras-
you awoke in a burning paperhouse
from the infinite fields of dreamless sleep

Rep:
Level 88
Illuminaudio
I watched the teaser in the midst of sleep deprivation and now that creepy sped-up lullaby is burned into my subconcious mind.

and yeah that's my name

Candlejack told me that Skankers real name is Ras-

You can't trust Candlejack, once he tried to tell me that
« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 05:15:42 AM by Dertt »

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
I watched the teaser in the midst of sleep deprivation and now that creepy sped-up lullaby is burned into my subconcious mind.

Perfect! That's what that little song is supposed to do; it's supposed to be kinda sweet but haunting. Bare in mind that that song is also somewhat important to the story, but you'll have to wait to find out how. Anyways, progress is slow-going thanks to the amount of work I've got right now, but I'm still going. I don't think I'll finish by the end of February as I had originally planned; it will probably be finished by April.

That reminds me, I'm probably going to need testers soon to try out the first half of the game (the stable half of the game). I'll probably post something in the next couple of weeks, so keep an eye out for that! Just one last thing though...who the hell is Candlejack?

« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 08:21:45 PM by Zylos »

Rep:
Level 88
Illuminaudio
Candlejack is a guy. When you say or type his name, soon after you disap

Rep:
Level 87
Code Geass = Best show EVER XD
Project of the Month winner for May 2008
hm...I've finally taken the time out to try this. one thing, I really dislike megaupload, becuase I have to wait for like a hour between each download. you and derret both using them didn't make things easier thats for sure.

anyways, onto the demo itself. the mode seven was really bad, it lags like hell and from a graphical point of view it just doesn't look that good. The lag crashed me, so I couldn't play past John? leaving the room to radio the station.

My mediocre advice :P

use more dramatic lighting. Have a dark boarder if you think that'll give it a more good feel, honestly all it could use is some more darkened screen tone and maybe a fog. Simple things that would make it alot more dramatic.

when I was watching your intro, my basic thought was "I hope this gets better" (sorry if your already changing the intro, I'm jsut too lazy to read)

The thing that disappointed me the most about it was how you brought up the news paper articles. Those were such great resources, but they were brought up so dully.

the feeling I get from the game, reporting going wrong, the intro feels to me like an old styled movie, opening up with the cigarette smoking boss, typing into that clanky machine, narrating in that husky and desperate voice, "In the summer of blah blah blah" and then going on the spin up those articles, "And so, I have sent my best reporters to the job..." the scene flashing to the boat, cute Reporter and her crew, anxiously waiting to get in. This is just the image I had when I saw through it, but theres so many  ways to tell it.

lol, maybe it's to much coffee for me, but thats just what I feel on the intro.

I like your face set and dialog, it really brings the message across nicely and works well with those facesets. Gomurzu I think, can't remember for sure. hope I get to play this more in depth when you take out mode seven.

Rep:
Level 88
Illuminaudio
« Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 05:24:13 AM by Dertt »

Rep:
Level 87
it looks kindof awkward, but it's pretty cool, still, I didn't like it that much :P

and yeah, I ment you, lol, it's been to late XD I already finished downloading them both, so don't worry. gonna watch in a bit.

oh, btw, on the topic of this game itself, I opened it up again too see if my computer really is that bad, I had Ro open at the time, well, my computer sucks, but I really like the title music xD

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
There's only one scene that has M7 in the demo, and that's at the very beginning. I think that if you have a slow computer to begin with, the M7 scene will be lagging like hell. Oh well, that's why I'm making a final version without it. In the meantime, I can probably PM you a copy of the demo without the M7. But not tonight, I'm too tired.

As for the lighting, it already IS darkened, and I just didn't like any darker tone then what it already has. I could probably add a slight "border shadow" on the edges. I'll experiment with it. And I'll see what I can do about the newspapers in the beginning.

Rep:
Level 87
yeah, but the word horror just makes me want this game to be super scary XD

.....yeah, to much coffee....it's 1 in the morning and I've never felt better....O_O

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
I already PMed monkeydlu the M7-less version of the demo, but I figured that I should probably just post the link here for anyone else who is having the same problem as he did.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/3w33ea

No mode seven, and I've removed a lot of files that weren't used in the demo (makes for a shorter download). Other than that, it is exactly the same as the regular demo. If you try it, be sure to let me know if I accidentally removed an important file or not, since I really didn't check to see if it worked before uploading it.

Rep:
Level 88
Illuminaudio
Hey Zylos, what kind of creatures do you have in the game other than zombies and gargoyles? Because I have some pretty disturbing designs which I could put into sprite form.

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
These are non-plot related monsters, but you might not want to know what your're facing just yet. It ruins the fun...

Spoiler for:
Zombies - The average monsters that you see in the demo.
Neo-Zombies - The corpses that return to life, again seen in the demo.
Hell Hounds - The black wolf seen in the demo.
Bandersnatch - The green monster seen in the demo.
Demon Fly - A giant fly that senses body heat.
Behemoth - Midnight's version the El Gigante from RE4.
Blood Ghost - Slimey enemies resistant to bullets.
Damned Puppet - Mechanical enemies that can take your head off in one hit.

By all means, feel free to PM me if you've got any good resources.