RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
RMRK in trouble?

Banned
Rep:
Level 88
metalcore loving gay pride christian
What is going on in RMRK that established members are now jumping ship? Here are some problems that I see:

1) Too few members.

There just aren't enough members to keep the forum alive. It's the same few members in the General forum and it gets old.

2) Too many mods, too few rules.

The number of mods here is wildly disproportionate to the number and activity of the users here, and they are given free reign to lock, unlock, move, and delete anything they like. Second-guessing is common and the only real rule on RMRK is "Be a suck-up". This leads to problem #3:

3) Sycophants and groupthink.

Almost everyone here is sucking up to someone else, and dissent is treated harshly. A handful of people sit at the top of the heap and decides everyone's opinions of things. A good example of this is how HaloOfTheSun worked to ostracize SexualBubblegum by constantly remarking on how unfunny SBG had become; other members quickly picked up on this change in policy and cast SBG out of the community.

4) Isn't this forum about RPG maker?

This forum is supposed to be about the RPG maker program, but lmost no one seems to care about this aspect of the forum. Some mods have admitted that the forum has drifted and now has no real purpose. Attempts to revitalize the forum by including new features and new subforums have failed because there aren't enough people to use them. There are better alternative forums out there for all the non-RPG stuff but the mods are reluctant to eliminate all the extra forums and give up control over their cliques. These silent forums are just so much dead weight which is slowly dragging the site down.

What do you people think?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2007, 06:15:19 AM by Saladin »

Sailor Man
Rep:
Level 95
So about that money...
That was put welll, elegant and truthfull. People just have to open their eyes.

I am epic, you are not.
Rep:
Level 93
Defender of Justice
Personally?

THe easiest way to be known is to post in spam.

If you help people, like Nouman, or are talented, such as Yossy was, then you could become known that way.
Old members are simply leaving now because some of us/them arent as entertained by the boards as we were even a month ago.
I dunno.

Most of the zanniness has moved to iRC...

also, what you said. You make some good points. SOmehow you arent getting as flamed as some others were for posting similar reasons, although I shouldnt bring that up.

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Best Non-RM Creator2013 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)Participant - GIAW 112012 Funniest Member2012 Most Successful Troll2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Best IRC ChatterboxSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Most Successful Troll2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Best IRC Chatterbox
Well said. I don't think there's any hope for the forums.

I am epic, you are not.
Rep:
Level 93
Defender of Justice
then again, neither of you have been around for even a year, so you havent witnessed the other rises and declines of RMRK.

although, it is kinda lower now than usuall...

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Best Non-RM Creator2013 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)Participant - GIAW 112012 Funniest Member2012 Most Successful Troll2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Best IRC ChatterboxSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Most Successful Troll2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Best IRC Chatterbox
But, I have been around long enough to know that it's allot worse than it used to be.

I am epic, you are not.
Rep:
Level 93
Defender of Justice
yeah, i know, i said that to.

Anyways, iRock, you werent that bad of a member. Maybe i just missed out on all the drama :p

MANMACHINE
Rep:
Level 91
God of Dicks
I disagree with the first part. Crankeye.org was wildly successful and had very few members, and there have been times when these forums were kept active by just one or two people(Blizzard, mostly).

However, I do agree with the second part. We have too many mods that just don't do anything. I try to do my job but I goof around just as much as I do help, and I'm too busy with work and my personal life to do as much as I once did. We have alot of mods that don't really do anything at all.

I never really noticed anything like your third point. I've always been independant had my own opinion. I've always spoke up about how I feel about things around here. I've gained my status here for just being me. I never sucked up to anyone, though I suppose there are people who have.

As for RPG maker, all the sections for it are still there, and have even been improved upon. I don't see anything wrong with expanding the forums to encorporate Game Maker as well as a more social aspect(which is what most of the more prominent members are here for anyways). It's the recent and constant complaining and no one doing anything to try to fix the so called problems that has lead to this feeling of discontent.

Sailor Man
Rep:
Level 95
So about that money...
Gil, I'm going to be honest. It seems you and Nouman are the only mods who really give a shit.

Rep:
Level 97
Definitely better than Hitler.
2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2014 Best Musician2013 Funniest Member2013 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Best Musician2013 King of RMRKFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Username2012 Best MusicianFor frequent good quality Wiki writing [citation needed]Most entertaining member on the IRC2011 Best Musician2011 Funniest Member2010 Most Missed Member
What is going on in RMRK that established members are now jumping ship? Here are some problems that I see:

1) Too few members.

There just aren't enough members to keep the forum alive. It's the same few members in the General forum and it gets old.

This is actually a relatively large forum for an RPG Maker board. ?_?

The number of mods here is wildly disproportionate to the number and activity of the users here, and they are given free reign to lock, unlock, move, and delete anything they like. Second-guessing is common and the only real rule on RMRK is "Be a suck-up". This leads to problem #3:

Too few rules? Ok, we'll bring in infractions and we'll turn into dwarra-esque mods who lock every topic with even one post slightly off topic or offensive. And too many mods? Perhaps you just have no idea what you're talking about, which is most likely I'm guessing. This forum has 37 or 38 boards, that's a lot to watch over, especially with so many members. And we aren't going to read every single topic, hence the large number.

Almost everyone here is sucking up to someone else, and dissent is treated harshly. A handful of people sit at the top of the heap and decides everyone's opinions of things. A good example of this is how HaloOfTheSun worked to ostracize SexualBubblegum by constantly remarking on how unfunny SBG had become; other members quickly picked up on this change in policy and cast SBG out of the community.

Don't be ridiculous, it's just I have common sense and am able to point out the logic in things. Just because I was the first to point out that Fu wasn't funny doesn't mean no one else thought so. Hell, even he said he wasn't funny in his Holk-bashing topic today. And I've seen quite a few members comment on his lack of humor much more than I. If I have such a heavy influence on people here, it's just because I've earned their respect.

If anyone is deciding people's opinions on things, it's Fu for bitching about how much the forums suck. What is a new member going to think when he sees another member with such a high post count complaining about the forums? Well, they're going to listen to him, because they don't know he's an idiot.

This forum is supposed to be about the RPG maker program, but lmost no one seems to care about this aspect of the forum. Some mods have admitted that the forum has drifted and now has no real purpose. Attempts to revitalize the forum by including new features and new subforums have failed because there aren't enough people to use them. There are better alternative forums out there for all the non-RPG stuff but the mods are reluctant to eliminate all the extra forums and give up control over their cliques. These silent forums are just so much dead weight which is slowly dragging the site down.

Maybe you should just wait till summer like we keep telling you. Some of us have lives, and don't have time to be using a silly program all the time. Most of you will have more free time in the summer, and it will pick up again.
:tinysmile:

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
1) Too few members.

Go out recruiting.

One of the best things about this place is its relaxed rules. People tend to feel more comfortable when they aren't afraid to post what they really think.

This is something that only the hypersensitive or paranoid would say. There are plenty of new people that have jumped right in and are well liked. Mexenito comes to mind.

There is no mandate that says you have to read, or even enter the other forums. A lot of people don't, actually.

I like the way that you set this up though, Saladin. I think the best thing to do to make the forum better would be for people to not bring flamewars upon themselves. The biggest problem seems to arise when someone makes a flippant comment. When people defend the person the comment was made against, it is taken as an attack against them, when it could've been prevented outright by thinking before they hit the little post button.

Sailor Man
Rep:
Level 95
So about that money...

1) Too few members.

This is actually a relatively large forum for an RPG Maker board. ?_?

Too few rules? Ok, we'll bring in infractions and we'll turn into dwarra-esque mods who lock every topic with even one post slightly off topic or offensive. And too many mods? Perhaps you just have no idea what you're talking about, which is most likely I'm guessing. This forum has 37 or 38 boards, that's a lot to watch over, especially with so many members. And we aren't going to read every single topic, hence the large number.

Don't be ridiculous, it's just I have common sense and am able to point out the logic in things. Just because I was the first to point out that Fu wasn't funny doesn't mean no one else thought so. Hell, even he said he wasn't funny in his Holk-bashing topic today. And I've seen quite a few members comment on his lack of humor much more than I. If I have such a heavy influence on people here, it's just because I've earned their respect.

If anyone is deciding people's opinions on things, it's Fu for bitching about how much the forums suck. What is a new member going to think when he sees another member with such a high post count complaining about the forums? Well, they're going to listen to him, because they don't know he's an idiot.

Maybe you should just wait till summer like we keep telling you. Some of us have lives, and don't have time to be using a silly program all the time. Most of you will have more free time in the summer, and it will pick up again.

By too few rules he means the cute little pecking parties that have been done today.

Also, I find it funny that you insist I'm an idiot. When you're ignoring blatant problems here. o wait, you're busy causing them, like that pecking party you pulled on Irock. Don't fucking kid yourself.

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel

By too few rules he means the cute little pecking parties that have been done today.

Also, I find it funny that you insist I'm an idiot. When you're ignoring blatant problems here. o wait, you're busy causing them, like that pecking party you pulled on Irock. Don't fucking kid yourself.

Don't start. Lets not turn this into another pissing contest.

MANMACHINE
Rep:
Level 91
God of Dicks
Let's not get into another flame war here. We're trying to have a real discussion about the supposed problems at hand.

Rep:
Level 102
Here's a fucking problem, one of my topics expressing a problem got deleted by you because it was "retarded"

Sailor Man
Rep:
Level 95
So about that money...
Honestly you have a point, I should try to restrain myself more. But the point I'v been pushing today is that there are blatant problems being ignored, and effort needs to go into them. Also listening to member feed back really will help this situation. albeit I've ranted a bit, I do have the forums better interest in mind.

Shooting for the "MEMBER MODERATOR OF THE YEAR 2007" Award
Rep:
Level 89
Hi, there.
Sorry for pointing this out Irockman1, but I thought you quit, so why do you care?

Not to be rude.
Sig by MacGravel

Rep:
Level 102
I'm here until I go to bed.

Rep:
Level 96
2011 Most Missed Member2010 Zero To Hero
Just get out now. Others may not be willing to say it, or they may not agree, but I must say I don't think you're wanted here. You're beginning to piss me off as of late as well. I'd say you're a prime example of a sycophant.

That being said, Irockman does not represent the general opinions of the RMRK community in anyway.

Fu, you also dissapoint me as of late. Too many low blows against good people, too much griping...Every community has it's low tides, this is one of 'em. If you aren't willing to ride it out, we don't need you, simple as that.

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
If we're doing so crappy, we must be rock-bottom. If we are rock-bottom, there's nowhere to go but up!  ;8 Same thing happened with another forum I used to be in but then it failed... ;9 We hit rock-bottom and then just fell through the ground.

pokeball :)OfflineMale
Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?

lol, disagree 100% with this fact.
Watch out for: HaloOfTheSun

Rep:
Level 88
I haven't been a member of this forum for veery long, but I have been a member of another one for about a year. All forums have thier downtimes.This one will probably pick back up in summer like someone else said. People will quit. But people will return later. This happens most of the time. People get busy and people have lives.

pokeball zxmOfflineMale
Astronaut Raticate Banana
Rep:
Level 92
Pineapple Line Colour

lol, disagree 100% with this fact.

ditto, its been here for years, Saladin has less then 100 posts so he really doesn't know.

Its become more of a general forum, that has a RPG Maker ass.

Art Master
Rep:
Level 90
I actually don't find it that bad, really. This place is far better than the other forums that I have visited in the past/do visit. It's just..easier to get along. People talk like they actually KNOW each other and as if they were friends, not like people who are afraid to talk and get yelled at for speaking what they think.

Crew Slut
Rep:
Level 93
You'll love it!
For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki

This is something that only the hypersensitive or paranoid would say. There are plenty of new people that have jumped right in and are well liked. Mexenito comes to mind.

Is that for real?

I don't think this board is doing badly, I think rmrk.net is up there.

3,367 I don't know if that's alot, but every time I log on, there is usually another member joined. And the amount of posts most people have is pretty high for old members, and nouman isn't that old, and he has a very very high post count.

People like Nouman, Blizzard (etc...) are the people who keep this forum alive, and I like the fact that we can speak our mind, I got banned from a site just because I disagreed with one of the members...  :-\
It is relaxed and I'm glad the mods keep it on it's toe, without tacts* on the floor.
*so many rules, it makes you mind spin.

When you have someone who enforces rules like Nouman does, people listen, (I'm not sure if he is a mod, or is he just extra access?), and HaloOfTheSun too.  (I don't really know any other mods but DS, and she seems to be very nice and good too)