RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Screenshot Thread

RMRK's dad-in-training
Rep:
Level 72
Busy Husband, Dad, and Youth Minister
GIAW 14: 2nd Place (Easy Mode)2014 Best WriterBronze - GIAW 11 (Normal)Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.2012 Best NewbieContestant - GIAW 9

Rep:
Level 55
Infected with the sickness.

Probably because the first 2 maps are slight edits of the sample maps provided with RPG Maker VX Ace, I think the first one is "Castle town" and the second one is "Moutain village".

Spoiler for :
EDIT:

wow.. what can I say. You owned me pretty hard there  :o
To be honest with you I dont even remember that I used the templates for those first maps.. No wonder I thought they were my best looking maps when I tried to decide which to post.. wow this is really embarrasing.

Well, seems I should visit the doctor and check on my memory cause this frightens me abit..
Im glad you got me busted though, and It wasnt my intention..

Im so sorry for the wasted feedback, I feel like a jerk. Ill try to reedem myself and upload the fully custom maps, so I can get feedback on something that I havnt been sloopy with..

My sincere apologies  ;9

« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 06:56:28 PM by Dizturb3d »
Can you feel that?..

My Current Project:

I support:

Fade

RMRK's dad-in-training
Rep:
Level 72
GIAW 14: 2nd Place (Easy Mode)2014 Best WriterBronze - GIAW 11 (Normal)Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.2012 Best NewbieContestant - GIAW 9

Probably because the first 2 maps are slight edits of the sample maps provided with RPG Maker VX Ace, I think the first one is "Castle town" and the second one is "Moutain village".

Spoiler for :
EDIT:

To be honest with you I dont even remember that I used the templates for those first maps.. No wonder I thought they were my best looking maps when I tried to decide which to post.. wow this is really embarrasing.

Well, seems I should visit the doctor and check on my memory cause this frightens me abit..

Im so sorry for the wasted feedback, I feel like a jerk. Ill try to reedem myself and upload the fully custom maps, so I can get feedback on something that I havnt been sloopy with..

My sincere apologies  ;9

Looking forward to seeing your custom maps!

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
2014 Best RPG Maker User - Story2014 Queen of RMRKProject of the Year 20142011 Best Newbie2014 Best RPG Maker User - Creativity2014 Kindest Member2013 Queen of RMRKBronze SS AuthorBronze Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.GOOD!For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)2012 Best Yuyubabe Smiley;o
Spoiler for:

Spoiler for :
EDIT:

My sincere apologies  ;9

Aww!! Don't worry about it~ it was a simple mistake. :) You probably tried to work with them awhile back and then came back later and forgot you used the sample map for them? =o
Spoiler for My Games and Art:
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

The Lhuvia Tales [Current]

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Phoenix Wright: Haunted Turnabout [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

Rep:
Level 55
Aww!! Don't worry about it~ it was a simple mistake. :) You probably tried to work with them awhile back and then came back later and forgot you used the sample map for them? =o

Ye.. I think those 2 were the maps I made the very first day I started.. I switched up the tilesets later on, as you noticed. After I started with the mountain village map I went thru some maps to see which ones I wanted to post and I just thought they were my best looking maps, didnt think I had used the templates for them since I tried making my own maps pretty early.

I really dont know which tileset I should use though.. since it seems working with different tileset is not a good idea. I have no knowledge of parralax? maping either so I guess I mix up tilesets because they have different resources that I want to use.. and switching up tilesets have also brought some in-game errors that I cant seem to work around. I know Its not allowed to ask for support here, but where could I turn, to ask some questions about tilesets and mapping? Maybe I could send you a PM about it? :P
Can you feel that?..

My Current Project:

I support:

Fade

Rep:
Level 85
I solve practical problems.
For taking arms in the name of your breakfast.

Ye.. I think those 2 were the maps I made the very first day I started.. I switched up the tilesets later on, as you noticed. After I started with the mountain village map I went thru some maps to see which ones I wanted to post and I just thought they were my best looking maps, didnt think I had used the templates for them since I tried making my own maps pretty early.

I really dont know which tileset I should use though.. since it seems working with different tileset is not a good idea. I have no knowledge of parralax? maping either so I guess I mix up tilesets because they have different resources that I want to use.. and switching up tilesets have also brought some in-game errors that I cant seem to work around. I know Its not allowed to ask for support here, but where could I turn, to ask some questions about tilesets and mapping? Maybe I could send you a PM about it? :P

You can always send me a pm, I specialize in XP mapping personnaly but the concepts are all the same :P

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
2014 Best RPG Maker User - Story2014 Queen of RMRKProject of the Year 20142011 Best Newbie2014 Best RPG Maker User - Creativity2014 Kindest Member2013 Queen of RMRKBronze SS AuthorBronze Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.GOOD!For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)2012 Best Yuyubabe Smiley;o
IAMFORTE knows his stuff xD He's a very experienced mapper~

I'm a VX/VXA mapper, and I know of one tileset I prefer to use (Mack), but I think the RTP of Ace can go a long way, with some work. =p A lot of people get tired of seeing it, but I don't think it should be that big of a deal. ^^ Especially not when you're just starting out~

But you don't need permission to PM me~ :>
Spoiler for My Games and Art:
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

The Lhuvia Tales [Current]

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Phoenix Wright: Haunted Turnabout [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

Rep:
Level 85
Winter is here.
I wouldn't recommend parallax mapping to someone just starting out, but if you're willing to give it a whirl, a lot of members here have experience with it. Just know that a lot can go wrong and it will likely require a lot of trial and error before you settle on something that you really like and/or works.

That said, I guess it's time to throw up another map, even if this project will never see the light of day. :P

Spoiler for:

The player will most likely never explore this area since it's just for the title screen, but we'll see if I can somehow incorporate it into the game's world somehow. If anything, it'd be cool to stumble upon and recognize. :D Anyway, a still screenshot doesn't do it justice as far as I'm concerned; there's a lot of animation going on in this particular sequence. I wish I knew how to make animated .GIFs. :/

And - just for kicks - this is what it looks like in the editor.

Eddard Stark art by Teiiku

A man chooses,
Rep:
Level 92
a slave obeys
Project of the Month winner for April 2008
Spoiler for:

Rep:
Level 85
Winter is here.
Not bad, the only thing that irks me is the fish vendor kind of sitting in the middle of map. I like the character sprites more than anything.

A man chooses,
Rep:
Level 92
a slave obeys
The fish vendor does look out of place. I moved it up now.

Spoiler for:

RMRK's dad-in-training
Rep:
Level 72
Looks great! May be a pain to walk through though!

So. Many. People.

Rep:
Level 85
Winter is here.
Now that I think about it, it may be a little crowded. One of my biggest pet peeves in games is NPCs getting in my way and preventing me from moving. Then again, it doesn't look like there are many places to get stuck, so it shouldn't be too bad.

A man chooses,
Rep:
Level 92
a slave obeys
I find this castle tileset hard to use, can't figure out well how each stuff works exactly.

Spoiler for:
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 12:02:27 PM by Karo Rushe »

Rep:
Level 85
What tileset is that? There may be sets of walls much like the ones where the door is. Part of what looks odd is the mix between solid walls (like the doors) and the wall autotile.

Rep:
Level 55
Here are some newer stuff that I have been working on.. well I truly suck at detail thats for sure  ;9
Im not even sure if I will be able to upload a game with this quality of mapping.. takes a long, long time to map even when it doesnt turn out that good though ;D

Spoiler for:
Hidden cave:

F-Forest:

Mountain House Interior:

And here is Mountain village again after some new work on it:

Spoiler for:

Wish I could make the pictures clickable so you could zoom in a bit, since Its pretty hard to see..
Another thing I find confusing is that I cant put trees ontop of the "cliff-areas", since they sort of "breaks" the ground and end up on the ground that is located under the cliff..
I also want to add some darkness to the cave, so the candles will have an effect.. but I have no clue how to do that..

You can always send me a pm, I specialize in XP mapping personnaly but the concepts are all the same :P

That would be sweet.. Im not sure where to start though.. but Ill try and send you one later on :D

IAMFORTE knows his stuff xD He's a very experienced mapper~
I'm a VX/VXA mapper, and I know of one tileset I prefer to use (Mack), but I think the RTP of Ace can go a long way, with some work. =p A lot of people get tired of seeing it, but I don't think it should be that big of a deal. ^^ Especially not when you're just starting out~

But you don't need permission to PM me~ :>

I use celiannas tileset along with some from RTP for variety.. I think they blend pretty good together but Im not sure.. Ye, I heard that too, but maybe Its easier to work with the standard tileset?
Thats good to know :) Then I might show up in ur inbox later then :D

I wouldn't recommend parallax mapping to someone just starting out, but if you're willing to give it a whirl, a lot of members here have experience with it. Just know that a lot can go wrong and it will likely require a lot of trial and error before you settle on something that you really like and/or works.

I understand that, cause I have been watching some tutorials about it, and it seems alot can go wrong if you dont know what you are doing. I would really love to learn it though since you can put in whatever you want on your maps, and you dont need a set tileset of resources.. which seems really, really cool.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 07:14:41 PM by Dizturb3d »
Can you feel that?..

My Current Project:

I support:

Fade

*crack*
Rep:
Level 64
2012 Best Newbie2012 Most Unsung MemberFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots
using ~  [img width=1000 height=1000]http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/4091/mountaint.png[/img]  ~ gets you this

Spoiler for:
All of my scripts are totally free to use for commercial use. You don't need to ask me for permission. I'm too lazy to update every single script post I ever made with this addendum. So ignore whatever "rule" I posted there. :)

All scripts can be found at: https://pastebin.com/u/diamondandplatinum3

A-pow 2015
Rep:
Level 81
2014 Best RPG Maker User - GraphicsFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2013 Most Unsung MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.How can I help you? :Da^2 + b^2 = c^2Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 9Bronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
I think you could stand to make that house interior just a tad smaller. Other than that, it's pretty good.

On the bigger maps, I think it would help you to focus in on small parts of the map and work on putting more detail in.

On the mountain village, your cliffs have some height errors. The smaller parts to the right should come down further than the main cliff to give an illusion of depth. Also, the overall cliff shape is a little too rectangular.

RMRK's dad-in-training
Rep:
Level 72
The hidden cave looks nice, but could use a little more detail on the floor I think.

The forest needs...more. I agree, go in closer and think about what the player will see when they play.

Getting better!

A man chooses,
Rep:
Level 92
a slave obeys
What tileset is that? There may be sets of walls much like the ones where the door is. Part of what looks odd is the mix between solid walls (like the doors) and the wall autotile.
It's hyperben's tileset

Rep:
Level 55
I think you could stand to make that house interior just a tad smaller. Other than that, it's pretty good.

On the bigger maps, I think it would help you to focus in on small parts of the map and work on putting more detail in.

On the mountain village, your cliffs have some height errors. The smaller parts to the right should come down further than the main cliff to give an illusion of depth. Also, the overall cliff shape is a little too rectangular.

Thanks alot for the feedback! Means alot! When you say make the house interior a tad smaller, do you mean the outside walls? Cause I actually fixed that a moment after posting.

Spoiler for edited house:

Ye, I know I lack lots and lots on details on those, especially in the forest.. Im also a bit worried about that I havnt got any treelines, so you can walk freely across the whole map.. The tileset Im using doesnt have an auto-tile? (Is that what Its called?), for puting up treelines so the trees had to be spread all over the map.

About the mountain village, I totally agree. I have thought about the square shape from the cliffs alot too, but I cant seem to find walls that are more "roundish", and I would have to get rid of all the other walls in my tileset just to get other types of cliffs. I think that is a thing that bothers me alot, since you have to switch the entire set just to switch one particular resource  :(

And about the height errors, Im not sure how to fix that since the smaller parts blends in with the main wall, which end up looking really weird. Really happy about the feedback, and I wish I knew what a map needs to stand out..

The hidden cave looks nice, but could use a little more detail on the floor I think.

The forest needs...more. I agree, go in closer and think about what the player will see when they play.

Getting better!

Thanks alot for the feedback! I will think about that when I start working on them again  ;8
Can you feel that?..

My Current Project:

I support:

Fade

Rep:
Level 85
Forests are my specialty :3 I'll drop you a PM later with tips lol

and the house is still too open, I'm not a fan of wide open stuff like that so you could add in a few more things to make it shine.

RMRK's dad-in-training
Rep:
Level 72

Spoiler for edited house:

About the size of the house. Think about yours. How big is your bedroom? What's in there? Is it a bed and a dresser and a side table?

Look at your map here. In the left side, which looks like a bedroom, there's a lot of empty space and two walls that don't connect. And then the Ned's headboard is just sticking out. How many bed rooms are arranged like that? Notice the queen sized bed takes up four squares. It's not exact, but think of a 2x2 square being 8ft x 8 ft (or whatever that amounts to in the metric system). A normal bed room, then, wouldn't be muh bigger than 3x3 or 4x4 squares. Make sense?

It just seems like there is a lot of "space" that doesn't need to be there. Try making the bedroom smaller and the kitchen/dining a tad smaller also and see what you come up with!

A-pow 2015
Rep:
Level 81
2014 Best RPG Maker User - GraphicsFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2013 Most Unsung MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.How can I help you? :Da^2 + b^2 = c^2Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 9Bronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
Yeah, I wasn't talking about the outside. Bluntsword pretty much covered all I was going to say though.

Rep:
Level 55

About the size of the house. Think about yours. How big is your bedroom? What's in there? Is it a bed and a dresser and a side table?

Look at your map here. In the left side, which looks like a bedroom, there's a lot of empty space and two walls that don't connect. And then the Ned's headboard is just sticking out. How many bed rooms are arranged like that? Notice the queen sized bed takes up four squares. It's not exact, but think of a 2x2 square being 8ft x 8 ft (or whatever that amounts to in the metric system). A normal bed room, then, wouldn't be muh bigger than 3x3 or 4x4 squares. Make sense?

It just seems like there is a lot of "space" that doesn't need to be there. Try making the bedroom smaller and the kitchen/dining a tad smaller also and see what you come up with!

Wow.. I havnt thought about it that way. When making the "bedroom", I was more or less thinking "hey, they need somewhere to sleep" lol. Cause I started off making the room without any bed at all. I tried connecting the bedroomwall in a square above the bed first, but I cant make it look good at all. I can see what you mean with too much space, might try to shrink the house alltogether and see how that looks, else I need to add more detail too it. What can I say, the bedroom was more or less just me figuring out they need somewhere to sleep xD

Forests are my specialty :3 I'll drop you a PM later with tips lol

and the house is still too open, I'm not a fan of wide open stuff like that so you could add in a few more things to make it shine.

That would be.. Legen.. wait for it!.. dary!  8)

Yeah, I wasn't talking about the outside. Bluntsword pretty much covered all I was going to say though.

Ye I feel a bit silly thinking that you were talking about the outside.. I didnt have the wievpoint figuered out but I can see now what you meant :)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 12:07:30 AM by Dizturb3d »
Can you feel that?..

My Current Project:

I support:

Fade