RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Screenshot Thread

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
2014 Queen of RMRK2014 Best RPG Maker User - StoryProject of the Year 20142011 Best Newbie2014 Best RPG Maker User - Creativity2014 Kindest Member2013 Queen of RMRKBronze SS AuthorBronze Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.GOOD!For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best Yuyubabe Smiley2012 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity);o
Damn, I've done my fair share of grass mixing in my newest game, but I'll probably kick that new-ish habit. ;__; I grant you, it doesn't make much sense...hrrm....

I'm pretty sure not many people share my love of the Victorian era, for instance

If it helps, I adore the Victorian Era, too. xD Medieval is my favorite setting, though~
Spoiler for My Games and Art:
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

The Lhuvia Tales [Current]

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Phoenix Wright: Haunted Turnabout [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

Rep:
Level 85
Winter is here.
I used to absolutely adore the middle ages, but it's just too overdone for my tastes. The Victorian era hasn't been touched upon nearly as much, so for me it allows for a little more room to experiment. Beyond that, there is something oddly endearing about magical and supernatural elements in Victorian settings. It's a really neat combination to me.
Eddard Stark art by Teiiku

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
2014 Queen of RMRK2014 Best RPG Maker User - StoryProject of the Year 20142011 Best Newbie2014 Best RPG Maker User - Creativity2014 Kindest Member2013 Queen of RMRKBronze SS AuthorBronze Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.GOOD!For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best Yuyubabe Smiley2012 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity);o
That certainly sounds neat! :) On that note, I'd like to see some Victorian games out there! I didn't really think about that much until I read your post, but damn. Now that I look at your screenshots, I can see the influence. Are you making a Victorian-based game? That's potentially a silly question, but I think I've known people who just make screenshots for fun, and don't actually work on games. If you are working on a game, I'd be pretty damn excited to see it complete! :D

Also, I could be wrong, but wasn't the Phantom of the Opera based in the victorian-ish era? I didn't look much into the history, and I think the Victorian era was around the mid-late 1800s or so? I could be wrong, though. =o

Also, I admit that the Medieval setting is a bit overused, but I still really dig it. xD
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

Rep:
Level 85
Winter is here.
The Victorian era lasted from 1837 to 1901. Before that was the Georgian era - the Colonial era, essentially - and it was followed by the Edwardian period. The Phantom of the Opera took place in 1909, which would place it in the Edwardian period.

You can probably tell that I'm a bit of a history buff. :P

Anyway, I actually am working on a game. While it's based heavily on the Victorian era, I've also added elements from the Georgian era that I feel work really well with Victorian elements. Of course, I've added my own touches here and there to reinforce the fantasy vibe, but I'll leave those a mystery for now. ;)

One of these days I'll get around to making a demo of sorts for everyone to try out, but my job consumes almost all of my time, and a lot of the time I'm too exhausted to really focus. It's coming, though.

my name is Timothy what's yours
Rep:
Level 79
Hello
2014 Most Missed Member2014 Zero to Hero2014 Best IRC Quote2012 Zero To HeroSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantContestant - GIAW 9For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Zero to Hero
The Victorian era hasn't been touched upon

Hey bro ever heard of steampunk =o
it's like a metaphor or something i don't know

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2014 Most Unsung Member2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
The Victorian era hasn't been touched upon

Hey bro ever heard of steampunk =o

Err, that was a rather misleading choice of where to cut off the quotation. The full sentence was:

The Victorian era hasn't been touched upon nearly as much.

And that is certainly true, even if steampunk is also overdone (which I don't think it is).

:police:

Rep:
Level 79
Hello
2014 Most Missed Member2014 Zero to Hero2014 Best IRC Quote2012 Zero To HeroSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantContestant - GIAW 9For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Zero to Hero
Hey, don't debunk my quote mining :mad:

Rep:
Level 79
Hello
What

I don't think I can explain it any more...

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
The Victorian era lasted from 1837 to 1901. Before that was the Georgian era - the Colonial era, essentially - and it was followed by the Edwardian period. The Phantom of the Opera took place in 1909, which would place it in the Edwardian period.

Well, at least I was close! D:

Anyway, I actually am working on a game. While it's based heavily on the Victorian era, I've also added elements from the Georgian era that I feel work really well with Victorian elements. Of course, I've added my own touches here and there to reinforce the fantasy vibe, but I'll leave those a mystery for now. ;)

One of these days I'll get around to making a demo of sorts for everyone to try out, but my job consumes almost all of my time, and a lot of the time I'm too exhausted to really focus. It's coming, though.

Take your time! :) I know that work can be pretty time consuming, lol. :D Still, I'm looking forward to your game~ hope it goes well!

Irock and Pacman are so silly !!!
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

Rep:
Level 79
Hello

Rep:
Level 57
I feel bad interrupting this conversation ._.
but after a year or so of doing no mapping, I've pushed this out and wanted an opinion on it?

Spoiler for:

EDIT: also, trying a lighting fog for the first time. Better or worse?

Spoiler for:
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 03:56:00 PM by Beep »

Rep:
Level 55
Infected with the sickness.
I feel bad interrupting this conversation ._.
but after a year or so of doing no mapping, I've pushed this out and wanted an opinion on it?

Spoiler for:

EDIT: also, trying a lighting fog for the first time. Better or worse?

Spoiler for:

Alot better in my opinion. I wish I could implement shadows, light and darkness into my game but I dont have the knowledge for it yet :/ I have a cave that I want to be completely dark, and you have to get a lantern to achieve a glow of light around the character. I have seen that Its possible, but I have no idea how to make it. Your map there looks really neat though :)
Can you feel that?..

My Current Project:

I support:

Fade

Rep:
Level 85
I solve practical problems.
For taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
For Dizturbd3d, see if this helps :3

@Beep You caves look great! Try to remove a few straight edges on the cave walls and add some more rocks and dirt to the floor (I mean the dirt autotiles :3)
Your lighting effects look great! Especially the second one!

Rep:
Level 46
Overlord in Training
Not all the maps are completely detailed. Also, they are designed with a quick movespeed in mind, and single maps tend to represent a room, with the exceptions of the bigger one. So to get the real feel of the shape you need to walk through all of them. Hope they don't hurt your eyes.  :ma:

The mountain maps have a wind engine, so the fog speeds up and changes direction slightly over time. Also, I just found a moving panorama script, the goal is to feel depth. I think with the moving panorama, fog, lighting, etc. I'm getting there.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 08:52:42 PM by Razma »

Rep:
Level 88
Fight Tha Powah!
Go beyond the impossible, and kick reason to the curb!!

Rep:
Level 85
Winter is here.
I have to agree with Milennin, that screenshot is way too blue. I'm guessing it's supposed to be night time?

Rep:
Level 55
For Dizturbd3d, see if this helps :3

@Beep You caves look great! Try to remove a few straight edges on the cave walls and add some more rocks and dirt to the floor (I mean the dirt autotiles :3)
Your lighting effects look great! Especially the second one!

That should be really helpful! Thanks alot for the share!  ;D
Can you feel that?..

My Current Project:

I support:

Fade

Rep:
Level 70
RMRK Junior
I thought I'd take a crack at something new (for me), a Beach!

Spoiler for:

Im calling it "Pirate Bay"
(no affiliation with that website...)

During a storm...

No storm, another angle of the map...

The Map is 50x60.  Do you think 300 events being used just for Graphics is too many?
Heretic's Vehicles XP (Boat and Magic Carpet)

Heretic's Collection XP Ver 2.3 - Updated to include Dynamic Lighting, Moving Platforms, Vehicles, and much much more!

Rep:
Level 85
I solve practical problems.
For taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
That looks pretty damn awesome! If theres no noticable lag, then it should be okay :P

Rep:
Level 70
RMRK Junior
Im trying something different now though.  It required merging an autotile and standard tile together for one flat graphic.  That mostly came from necessity as the water ate up all my other autotiles.  I needed deep grass on the light sunny grass.  The need for the deep grass really shows up because there are multiple layers of cliff faces, and I wanted to provide a clear definition between the top layers of the cliffs and lower levels.

Spoiler for:

The player isnt normally supposed to be able to walk here.  Just debugging around...

As far as it running, it runs pretty good.  Im running a Framerate Optimizer by Near Fantastica that I tweaked heavily.  During the weather, I do seem to get a noticable (but not unplayable) performance hit.  That's probably alright since the events are only for graphics at this point, and not for any of the wildlife or anything else that needs to be done.  I'll probably be at about 400+ by the time I finish with this map.

Aside from all that tech stuff, how does this look?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 09:06:09 AM by Heretic86 »
Heretic's Vehicles XP (Boat and Magic Carpet)

Heretic's Collection XP Ver 2.3 - Updated to include Dynamic Lighting, Moving Platforms, Vehicles, and much much more!

Rep:
Level 55
Im trying something different now though.  It required merging an autotile and standard tile together for one flat graphic.  That mostly came from necessity as the water ate up all my other autotiles.  I needed deep grass on the light sunny grass.  The need for the deep grass really shows up because there are multiple layers of cliff faces, and I wanted to provide a clear definition between the top layers of the cliffs and lower levels.

Spoiler for:

The player isnt normally supposed to be able to walk here.  Just debugging around...

As far as it running, it runs pretty good.  Im running a Framerate Optimizer by Near Fantastica that I tweaked heavily.  During the weather, I do seem to get a noticable (but not unplayable) performance hit.  That's probably alright since the events are only for graphics at this point, and not for any of the wildlife or anything else that needs to be done.  I'll probably be at about 400+ by the time I finish with this map.

Aside from all that tech stuff, how does this look?

That looks truly amazing! It's really noticable that you have spent a great deal of time working on the details on that map! Like I have said before, people on RMRK will never stop to amaze me when it comes to mapping.. I have a long road ahead before I can make something like this  ;D

By the way, is this a project you are working on? Seems really interesting, so I hope you are!
As for any lag issues, there should be some animation anti-lag, and event anti-lag scripts out there. I'm using the once made by moghunter, and they work very well.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 04:55:16 PM by Dizturb3d »
Can you feel that?..

My Current Project:

I support:

Fade