RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Bad RPG Maker Game Reviews?

Rep:
Level 91
Blah blah blah...
Project of the Month winner for November 2008
Warning, this post contains swears. If this is a big deal, go back.

In the world of game making, the most enthusiastic creators are usually talentless children between the ages of 10-15 with a complete lack of creativity, let alone ability. These people flood the game making scene with atrocious pieces of garbage, and cannot take any light criticism without making some bullshit excuse. Fuck that, I'm not gonna take "this is a beta screenshot" or "these are old, I have better maps now" as an excuse. If you have better maps why don't you replace the old ones? And besides, why would you post garbage screenshots in the first place?

Of course the makers will take offense to any criticism directed their way, but should I care? That's what's been holding me back from reviewing bad rpg maker games, and if people find it to be offensive maybe I shouldn't go through with it. So the big question is, should I review bad rpg maker games? Even if I exaggerate its shittyness? Swear a lot? Humiliate the maker?

And if you said yes, the next question is: How?
I've been thinking of doing videos, because that way I can set the tone of voice and show actual game play footage. However I still need to figure out how I could get this working, as I have attempted before but could not get sound working. If all else fails I'll stick to written posts. If anyone has other ideas I'll consider.

Post your answer to my questions. It'll take a couple posts to convince me to do anything.

- -

Shadow Knight
Rep:
Level 91
Ruin that brick wall!
Project of the Month winner for October 2008
It's very much a choice that everyone is free to make, if you think you should then you can
 always do that anytime you want to. But what worries me is how the not-so-good creators
will react to your relentless/devastating reviews. Even if it may well be true, they'll instinctively
protest against it and provide dumb reasons and whatnot. Then again, some people can
accept harsh critiques and would probably improve from a review. Depends on the creators, really. :|

Videos or Podcasts is a more effective media for reviews, it's a very good idea to use them for
RM games especially to make it seem a bit more "indie" and different. Personally, I think there's
nothing stopping you to review bad games.

Be kind, everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for December 2009Project of the Month winner for August 20082011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
this would be fun.  The AVGN of RMRK.

Podcasts/Videos would be ideal, but text reviews would work very well.  Also be scathing and remorseful in your review.  The game is utter crap and you should let them know it.  But then offer some advice on how to fix it, so that anyone watching can learn the 'DON'T EVER FUCKING DO THIS IN A GAME AND HOW TO FIX IT' as opposed to just flame flame flame

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

Rep:
Level 91
Blah blah blah...
this would be fun.  The AVGN of RMRK.

Podcasts/Videos would be ideal, but text reviews would work very well.  Also be scathing and remorseful in your review.  The game is utter crap and you should let them know it.  But then offer some advice on how to fix it, so that anyone watching can learn the 'DON'T EVER FUCKING DO THIS IN A GAME AND HOW TO FIX IT' as opposed to just flame flame flame

An AVGN style was what I was aiming for. But I didn't wanna make it seem like I'm copying him completely either. And because I was going to try the Angry Nerd type of review, a video was the best bet. I'll consider the "DONT EVER DO THIS, DO THIS INSTEAD" type of approach I suppose.

As for the creators, I know they will inevitably fire back with excuses and etc, and that's the main thing holding me back. I don't wanna make it seem like I hate the creator, I just wanna let them know their game sucks. I'll consider doing it, but it'll be a while from now as I have to find some shitty games, play them, record them, and all that stuff. RMRK will be the first to know of course.

For now, anyone else can keep adding to suggestions on how I should do this.

- -

Walking Billboard
Rep:
Level 87
Video interviews sound like a fun idea, but to answer your original question, if the game looks like shit and the kid's 10-15 and they've already gotten all defensive when other people offer polite critique, i wouldn't bother. In fact, i think you've already answered your own question, partner.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for December 2009Project of the Month winner for August 20082011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
As for the creators, I know they will inevitably fire back with excuses and etc, and that's the main thing holding me back. I don't wanna make it seem like I hate the creator, I just wanna let them know their game sucks. I'll consider doing it, but it'll be a while from now as I have to find some shitty games, play them, record them, and all that stuff. RMRK will be the first to know of course.

of course they'll have excuses.
they always do.
shouldn't stop you.

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
2013 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)Gold - GIAW 11 (Hard)Randomizer - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)2012 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantGold - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for September 2008For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2011 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2011 Best Veteran2011 Kindest Member2010 Best RPG Maker User (Events)2010 Best RPG Maker User (Story)
It's force of habit someone to defend their project when someone says that it's bad, no matter how politely it's put. But as long as you're being realistic and offering constructive criticism rather than just flaming, I think everyone'll be fine with it. For example, I don't want you saying "Your maps are shit, go die in a fire", but rather something like "your maps are shit, try doing this or doing this tutorial".

Videos are always good, as long as they're decently made. Maybe it's just me, but people like watching reviews more than reading them, for some reason.

Shadow Knight
Rep:
Level 91
Ruin that brick wall!
How about something like Zero Punctuation?

Spoiler for:

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
Personally, I feel that the best way to deal with a bad game is just to not review it at all.

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? The nice kind of alien~
Rep:
Level 92
Martian - Occasionally kind
It's force of habit someone to defend their project when someone says that it's bad, no matter how politely it's put. But as long as you're being realistic and offering constructive criticism rather than just flaming, I think everyone'll be fine with it. For example, I don't want you saying "Your maps are shit, go die in a fire", but rather something like "your maps are shit, try doing this or doing this tutorial".

Videos are always good, as long as they're decently made. Maybe it's just me, but people like watching reviews more than reading them, for some reason.

Not true Zylos. You usually say the game is bad in ways where they thank you for it.
It does not sound like the review will be of this case. It sounds more like angry teaching reviews which are fun on their own although maybe more for other viewers than for the game author(s).

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast

and then there are some people who can't even take polite constructive criticizm.

Walking Billboard
Rep:
Level 87
In the future when mentioning people who are overly defensive, let's assume we're talking about that .-.

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Most Mature Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2010 Best Use Of Avatar And Signature Space
I think it's a good idea for its entertainment value - I don't think it is going to be constructive by any means.

Rep:
Level 91
Blah blah blah...
I think it's a good idea for its entertainment value - I don't think it is going to be constructive by any means.

Yeah that mostly. I wanna do it for fun, since rpg maker games are usually worse than real ones. But I can also give advice on how to improve too.
Anyways, my main problem is recording sound. I cant record game sound and voice at the same time, so I'll have to figure out how to do that before I can make anything. If all else fails I could just do post reviews =\

- -

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
I can do your editing if you need.

Rep:
Level 90
My World Crafters had a terrible review on a podcast of game reviews. The person that reviewed it was harsh and after listening to a few more podcasts, I figured out he hates playing games. He took an unfinished project that was rushed to release for his "release something day." I suppose after 6 months of work, the game was far more completed than anyone else's.

He said the game was full of typos, which cannot be true, considering all dialog was written in Word, so I figure the typos he found were ; marks ; which is gramatically correct.

I could keep going, but I just wanted to vent about this. Sorry.
community project for RPG Maker VX: http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,33789.0.html

When the dawn breaks...
Rep:
Level 88
...tonight will be just another memory.
maia raises a good point. You have to make sure the flaws you find are actually flaws and your not just saying it for the sheer fun of it. If someones mapping is not exactly the best but by no means the worst, you shouldn't comment on how 'absolutly shit' it is or anything like that. Comment on the mapping of course but within reason.

Rep:
Level 90
I went on a review spree on another site with little games that I could just play quickly.

I did the good, the bad and then coached. I have heard never critique, only coach.

The ass that reviewed the game did make a good point, sort of like not saying the bad stuff with a whisper but rather yelling it.
community project for RPG Maker VX: http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,33789.0.html

Shadow Knight
Rep:
Level 91
Ruin that brick wall!
Time for a test run? :|

Rep:
Level 90
Sure. PM me a game link.

pokeball GuyOffline
Rep:
Level 81
To expect anything other than garbage from an amateur community is stupid, and your games are probably just as shitty, you just don't realize it.

But by all means, do what you have to.

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Most Mature Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2010 Best Use Of Avatar And Signature Space
It would be really cool if RMRK had a time machine to make that post relevant.

pokeball GuyOffline
Rep:
Level 81
Just trying to get this show back on the road boss lol

Seriously, why are all these threads dead?

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Project of the Month winner for June 2009
Obviously a thread dies when the interest in its topic dies. So, like half people that posted in this thread don't come to RMRK anymore or no one cares enough to make it.

Hey... my name's... Sashikinaroji...
Rep:
Level 83
fear me...
It is a nice thought though... Completely humiliating people for the enjoyment and benefit of everyone but that person... Someone quick! Send me some links to terrible games!
Ok, DON'T EXPECT HELP FROM ME~! I will perhaps rant a bit, but don't expect me to do graphics for you, even if I say I will... I won't.