RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[VX] Twice Upon a Hero

Rep:
Level 73
Artista
2012 Best Artist2012 Best RPG Maker User (Graphical)2011 Best RPG Maker User (Graphical)Winner - 2011 Summer Project of the Season

Once upon a time, the world fell prey to a cruel demon. Azazel The Fallen ravaged the lands, leaving misery and death in its wake. A group of young people banded together and traveled the world in search of a way to defeat him. They forged friendships, found true love and struggled with the possibility of betrayal in their midst. In six short months, they developed extraordinary strength and skills they did not know they possessed. When they finally met Azazel on the battlefield, they fought with glory and pride. As the hero delivered the mortal blow, the world went quiet, barely daring to breathe. Without their leader, the demon armies retreated back into the night. At last, the world rejoiced.

It has been fifteen years since Azazel fell. The world has changed and its people moved on. Alistair is now trying to live a normal life, tucked away in a small, sleepy village. But a casual visit from an old acquaintance threatens to propel him back into a world of adventure - whether he likes it or not!

Embark on a journey to explore the world and the unique perspective of what happens to said world once the fairytale of might and magic is over.

About the world of Caeta:
The world of Caeta (pronounced SEH- tta)  is comprised of five major continents: Andras, Ahden, Geldion, Vega and the Maia islands. With the exception of Maia, which is a democratic independent republic, the continents are ruled by a  monarchy (diarchy in the case of Andras). Since the appearance and consequent death of Azazel, the world has been living in a time of world peace, and free from political intrigue.

While both modern and futuristic technology can be found in various areas of the world, the majority of the population prefers to live a simpler existence that is in harmony with nature. In the past five years, it's become trendy for licensed mages (or those with magical predilections) to rely heavily on technology. This is largely due to theories that the mana pool of a person is limited and should only be used in the "worst case" scenario. This is a stark difference with the mages from pre-Azazel era, who used magic at all times - even while asleep.

Religion plays a major level in the personal life of some people, but Caeta is primarily henotheistic in nature. Most towns and villages will have one patron deity, but their worship won't be enforced. Patron deities are chosen by the perceived natural blessings of the area where the towns are located. For example, the patron deity of Par Tillian is Damia, goddess of plenty. Even though Par Tillian is located in the hot desert, its citizens are blessed to have a constant source of pure drinking water via the mountains located just north of the town.

Alistair Leblanc  ~ Age: 32 ~ Occupation: Bartender of a tavern in a small town
It was Alistair's sword that dealt the mortal blow to Azazel. He never truly enjoyed the praise and attention given to the great heroes, thus he spent a few years wandering Caeta before finally settling in a small village on the fringes of civilization.
His idealist and impulsive nature led him into many adventures and sticky situations in the past, but the years have turned him into a more prudent and thoughtful man. Though he never received a formal education, he is intelligent and well-read.
He takes life in moderation, so he is a man without vices.
Cordelia Carter ~ Age: 16 ~ Occupation: Student at the Patriot Academy
Cordelia grew up hearing the stories about Azazel's fall and the bravery of Alistair and his companions. Like many of the younger Caeta inhabitants, she hasn't been exposed to harshness or violence in life.
Idealistic and naive, she has a knack of getting herself in trouble. She quickly developed an infatuation with Alistair, after he saved her from a monster. In her eyes, Alistair is a knight in shining armor. Much to her disappointment, Cordelia's sweetness and generosity remind Alistair of Lillian, which has led him to be short-tempered and grouchy around her.
Penelope Jackson ~ Age: 19 ~ Occupation: Priestess in training of the Church of Aceso
As one of the countless orphaned children, Penelope grew up sheltered by the church. Unlike other children, she developed a fascination with the priest life and requested to join the clergy. She took up her studies with zeal and unorthodox organized discipline. She has a natural predilection for healing magic, though she is most interested in plant-based salves and naturalistic healing.
Penelope values her logic and intellect, often dismissing or ignoring her emotions. She can be counted on as a voice of reason, and follows a strict moral code.
She is originally forced to join Alistair by her matron, Diana. She quickly grows to like and respect him as a leader.
Claudia Nero ~ Age: 26 ~ Occupation: Senior at Sparrowight Academy of Magic
Azazel era was particularly difficult for mages, as they were often easily sensed by the demon armies. As a result, anyone with the potential to tame and use magic was quickly recruited by the academy. During those times of uncertainty and fear, the academy frequently traveled from place to place. This life gave Claudia both the formal education of the academic setting and the multicultural know-how of everyday life. This life also gave her a thirst for adventure, leading to her penchant for chaos and disregard of rules and laws.
Beneath her wild and rebellious exterior, Claudia is a thoughtful and intelligent woman. Her magical potential is very high, but she lacks the discipline needed to excel in her studies. She initially joins Alistair as a way to get good grades effortlessly, but she sticks around for her love of adventure.

Spoiler for:

- Party Relationship System, affecting the availability of certain cutscenes, items and endings.
- Personality System, affecting available side quests and opening special item/skill vendors.
- Character Field Skills, allowing access to new areas or new approaches to completing quest objectives.

Chapter 1 + 2 ***

* Note that there is a Font folder with 3 files included. Please make sure you install them prior to playing.
** You will need to download and install VX RTP (you can find it here).
*** Special thank you to Reives from Freebird Games for being gracious enough to provide me with free hosting on his server.

Developer Blog

Support bar:

Code: [Select]
[url=http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,41558.0.html][IMG]http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff267/lunarea_album/Games/TUAH/TUAH-userbar.png[/IMG][/url]

~ 12/04 Thread created, complete chapter 1 released.
~ 12/09 Updated version, with fixed puzzle and couple minor bugs fixed.
~ 02/10 Released Chapter 2
~ 03/15 Released Revamped chapters 1&2
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 10:49:07 PM by Lunarea »
My current project:

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Project of the Month winner for June 2009
It's great to see you creating a game. I enjoy this.

Rep:
Level 73
Artista
2012 Best Artist2012 Best RPG Maker User (Graphical)2011 Best RPG Maker User (Graphical)Winner - 2011 Summer Project of the Season
Thank you!  ;D

I'm currently working hard on finishing chapter 2 - or most of it anyway. I've added a quest log script (thank you modern algebra!) as well as started planning out what to do with battles.

I'm going to try to release chapter 2 within 2 weeks. I really hope life complies.  :lol:
My current project:

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
I love your trees. Where did you find them?

Rep:
Level 73
Artista
They are from Amaranth Studios (Aveyond creator). Amanda was gracious enough to share them with the users. I'm not sure if they're still available on her site and forums, but you can at the very least find a couple in the archives of the Loose Leaf/Tekepon site (here and here).
My current project:

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
lol, that website is messing with my brain. The thumbnails won't get any larger :|
haha oh well.

Double check your link BBC. It's broken atm. You can still extract the address though.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 06:23:40 AM by grafikal »

Rep:
Level 73
Artista
Eep, I didn't even notice that. Thanks :3

I think I saw a Brazillian blog that had all of the Aveyond tiles in the VX format. I'll see if I can dig up the link.
My current project:

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2014 Most Unsung Member2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Most Mature MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
The game looks really nice - the screenshots are beautiful and the world looks like it has interesting political and religious structures. One of my favourite things about a game is the complexity of the world and its characters and it looks like you are paying due attention to both. I am looking forward to seeing a release. Great work so far :)

Rep:
Level 73
Artista
Well, you can already download chapter 1. It's got about an hour of content, and it should give some idea of the story.
And thank you! I hope I can continue to deliver quality work :3
My current project:

Rep:
Level 73
Artista
~Chapter 2~

- I've added several new scripts, so your old save will not work. Sorry 'bout that! The good news is that I don't anticipate adding any more scripts, so your saves should be good from this point on. And should I ever go back on my word here, I will most definitely provide save files for your convenience.
- The lengthy introduction is now skip-able.
- The music has been changed. As much as I love the old-school midi sound, all the orchestral custom pieces made the midi sound pretty flat. And since I've already broken the 128mb resource rule, there was no other reason to keep the midi format.
- The size has gone up to 224mb. I wish I could promise that it won't go much higher than that, but it will. Hopefully, I can still keep it a reasonable size ...
- The battle system is not done. I'm currently working on the skills and spells for the characters and monsters. The scripts I will be using, however, are in. So, while the battles are same old n' boring, they should give you an idea of how the battles will flow.
- Because a lot of people missed it, I have put an arrow above the quest giver's head in Summervale. She is only available while you have Cordelia in your party, so you have to do the side quest after getting the nectar, but before turning it in. Or, you can skip it altogether and wait for the next time Alistair is in the area.
- To my knowledge, the chapter is bug-free. If you do encounter a game-breaking bug, do let me know. Same for any passability errors or typos.
- Special thanks to Reives for hosting my project, and also to Zeriab for releasing the encryption tool that allowed me to compress my game data smoothly.

Have fun~!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 07:00:03 PM by Lunarea »
My current project:

my name is Timothy what's yours
Rep:
Level 79
Hello
2014 Best IRC Quote2014 Zero to Hero2014 Most Missed Member2012 Zero To HeroSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantContestant - GIAW 9For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Zero to Hero
Your main character's name is French for "the white", and is also the best range of clarinets in the world (probably). I like this.
The game, however, is very profound. The style is very good and the maps... dear god, they are amazing. I feel embarrassed to call myself an RPG Maker after playing this. You are amazing. I love you, will you marry me?
it's like a metaphor or something i don't know

Rep:
Level 73
Artista
Already married  ;D

But I do appreciate feedback! Especially since my own stuff never seems that impressive to me. Probably because I've been staring at it too long.

Also, uploaded a new version this morning. Apparently, I lied and there was a bug that didn't let you access chapter2 ...
My current project:

Rep:
Level 73
Artista
I've created a development blog for Twice Upon a Hero - and future projects. If you're ever in the mood to read more details about the development process, or to see me get excited/ranting over the most minuscule stuff, feel free to check it out!  ;D
My current project:

Rep:
Level 81
wow! I played the demo.

how did you compose all the paralaxes for the maps?
did you made screenshots of the them ingame and put them together, or is there another way, because I can imagine it being quite difficult.
I really like the way you mixed vx and xp resources there.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 07:11:09 PM by rofl1337 »

Rep:
Level 73
Artista
Thanks for trying it out, rofl!

It's not actually terribly difficult, but it can be a little time-consuming. I use Photoshop, which has layers and that makes it very easy to move things around. I also have a 32x32 grid showing, so I can quickly figure out the right placement for various walls, floors and objects.

Mapping is probably my most favorite part of development. :3
My current project:

Rep:
Level 81
so it was really made with ingame screenshots! awesome work, I must say.

I noticed you have some mack tilechips in there, but
can you tell us from where you got the awesome chips like the ones for the exterior of the desert city houses, or are they your own work?
sincerly

my name is Timothy what's yours
Rep:
Level 79
Hello
2014 Best IRC Quote2014 Zero to Hero2014 Most Missed Member2012 Zero To HeroSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantContestant - GIAW 9For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Zero to Hero
http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,41463.0.html
http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,41646.0.html
http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,41428.0.html
A lot of her stuff is her own work, and it makes sense; it's incredible. I'm not sure about the sets in this game, but check out her stuff. She's amazing.
it's like a metaphor or something i don't know

Rep:
Level 73
Artista
Revised Chapters 1&2

Download Here

There have been quite a bit of changes in the revision!

Cosmetic changes:
- Custom windowskin
- New Font(please be sure to install it from the Font folder!)
- Overhaul of the menu and message systems
- Slight changes in sprites to make them a bit more unique
- Remapped: Sewers under Summervale
            CTN tech area
            Gullad Mountains (inside)

Gameplay changes:
- Skippable introduction, and ability to fast-forward text by holding down the Shift button.
- New battle system
- New and improved skill/spells
- Emergence of random encounters, and ability to toggle them on/off
- Basic tutorials for menu, quest and battle
- Complete redesign of inner Gullad Mountains, including new puzzles
- Added a new quest that can be picked up in Summervale while Claudia is in your party.

Bug fixes:
- You can no longer access sewers unless you're on the side-quest.
- You can't get the boulder stuck inside the corridor of Bethlam Tower F3
- Eventing on first chest in Bethlam tower B2 changed slightly
- Fixed a few spelling/grammar mistakes.

The story and most of the events are identical to the previous version. Though I would be very thankful if you played through the new version, it's completely understandable if you would rather wait for new content. With the release of chapter 3 (and thereon, should the need arise), I will be providing a generic save file that would allow you to access new content without having to replay the old.

You may have noticed that the size of the download is larger than the previous version. There are quite a few files in there that are in preparation for chapter 3. I don't estimate any future gigantic jumps in size, but I can try to package the audio files separately for easier download management.

Thank you, and enjoy playing!
My current project:

Rep:
Level 76
Praise the Sun (Arcana)
GIAW 14: 1st Place (Hard Mode)
I wonder why I've never seen this (Or I think I haven't), anyway, I'm going to download it right now.

Rep:
Level 73
Artista
Thanks for giving it a try!

I confess, I'm not doing a whole lot to advertise this. I tend to lurk more than not.  :lol:
My current project:

Rep:
Level 76
Praise the Sun (Arcana)
GIAW 14: 1st Place (Hard Mode)
Your storytelling and mapping is simply amazing. I like how you use the relationship system as well, especially since the characters are so well written and developed. I'd say I've gotten a good amount of play time in so far, played about 3 hours straight after downloading, and I'm planning on playing a bit more. I think I'd have to say this is the best RM game I've played.

Rep:
Level 71
Entity Humanoid Interface
"He calls me pretty" ~~~

I'm giving it a go and I must say I'm really impressed, Lunarea. The graphic is very well-crafted, the battle is charmingly challenging (I must say the battle system is easy to get used to yet would take a while to fully master). I love how even the normal battle keeps me on my toes all the time (I got a hard-learnt lesson of game over once due to carelessness XD). This is the first game I find normal battle so enjoyable :D (Even to the game I regard as best RM game out there, normal battle is still a pain ~)

Though, you might want to put the dialoque skip button some other one rather than Shift. I have a tendency to hold Shift the whole time to run and having to stop pressing whenever talking to a random NPC is quite annoying. I ragequitted once right after I found that out and only pick this up again recently. It still gets in the way though :)

Well, charming work you have here :D
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 04:07:08 AM by Aurelia »
I support \\(>O<)b

Rep:
Level 73
Artista
Glad you enjoyed it! And I'm very happy to hear battles are fun. It was the weakest area for me in the previous versions and it took heck of a lot of time to set up. But it sounds like it was worth the effort (phew!)

I will be changing the skip text button to something a little less used (maybe Q) in the next release, as well as add a couple more "skip cutscene" options for some of the longest scenes.

Thanks for the C&C!
My current project:

Rep:
Level 71
Honing the Craft
This game is beautiful and the most important, its fun!

i liked your characters from the second i saw theire descrptions but to see them in play is a wonderful experience, im playing more your game than mine....

Rep:
Level 73
Artista
Thank you, M@pple! I'm very happy that you enjoyed playing.  ^-^

I am hard at work on chapter 3, and hopefully there will be another update fairly soon.
My current project: