RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[Solved] RPG-Maker XP Win 8 problems

Rep:
Level 71
~Living inside a dream~
Hello.

I know there is already a solution for this problem, but it is not working for me, no matter what I do. Got Windows 8 two days ago and tried to install the XP Maker from the download section here. However, it is not working. When I start it normally, I get the  "Failed to obtain a trial serial number from N Titles server" error. But when I start it in admin + win xp compatibility mode, the whole computer freezes after some time. Here is what I already did to solve this problem:

- Updated all drivers for graphics and audio
- Started the maker and installation in admin + win xp compatibility mode
- Tried to use the solution from this thread: http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,14361.0.html
- I also turned off any firewall or virus protector I have.

The trial version works just fine, but I guess that is normal. Any ideas?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 08:55:13 AM by yuyu! »

Rep:
Level 72
~Few people understand the beauty of the night~
2014 Best Topic
Well, this could also be due to the fact that Enterbrain uses a whole different system for activation now, so (and I may be wrong in thinking this) I don't think there's a fix/work-around anymore for this. I can see what I can do to find alternate instructions for you..

EDIT: Try these instructions: http://forum.chaos-project.com/index.php/topic,11492.0.html
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 01:30:41 PM by PhoenixFire »
Download http://a.tumblr.com/tumblr_lm5v281q6E1qde50fo1.mp3

Rep:
Level 71
~Living inside a dream~
Well, that cannot be it. The maker still works with windows 7 without a problem (the one from this site), despite their different system for activation. So yeah, it must have something to do with windows 8 :/ .  I just cannot figure out what that is.

Rep:
Level 72
~Few people understand the beauty of the night~
2014 Best Topic
That I'm not sure, because I run it on Win8.1 currently without issue. The difference is that I have the Steam version, and, the regular version purchased through Enterbrain. All I can think of, is that it's an issue with the version you're trying to use, not working on Windows 8. My suggestion would be to simply get the new official version from Enterbrain directly; It's pretty damn cheap to get at this point..
Download http://a.tumblr.com/tumblr_lm5v281q6E1qde50fo1.mp3

Rep:
Level 72
The cloaked schemer
Most Promising Project 2014
Uh, are you doing the trial version, or did you try to crack it? Otherwise if you legitimately purchased it download it from the official rpgmaker.net or whatever it is. I'm using a legit version of Xp version 1.04 on windows 8.1
I'm not sure what version Rmrk has stored, but that could also be a problem. I know the ntitles things is a common error not necessarily unique to windows 8

Rep:
Level 71
~Living inside a dream~
Thank you both, that was it. The version from crankeye was not working right with windows 8, so I actually bought the official one. And voila, it works without a problem :) .

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
2014 Queen of RMRKProject of the Year 20142014 Best RPG Maker User - Story2011 Best Newbie2014 Best RPG Maker User - Creativity2014 Kindest Member2013 Queen of RMRKBronze SS AuthorBronze Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.GOOD!For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best Yuyubabe Smiley2012 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity);o
Whoops. Someone may need to fix that. ;9

I'll go ahead and mark this thread "solved". :)
Spoiler for My Games and Art:
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

The Lhuvia Tales [Current]

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Phoenix Wright: Haunted Turnabout [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]