RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Flat

Rep:
Level 71

Introduction:
So I used RPG Maker and have been using Unity for a long time and I decided to go ahead and make my own game engine. A 2D one if the title isn't a dead give away. I'm taking a break from Pool of Mana to get some things together so I'm currently working on this. I'm developing this in Visual Studio using c# and .net 4.5. I plan to spend a few months working on this and release it as commerical software. I plan on having the engine cost 30 dollars without royalties of course. The engine is still in early development but so far things are working out well. The engine currently only has an option to build to Windows. However due to the way the game is exported it's possible to have a game on almost any modern operating system. The game exports a package which has all of the assets used in the game which is opened and interpreted by the game's executable. So to include exporting to multiple operating systems I just need to make an interpreter on each. Someone who knows how to develop an application would probably be able to make their own interpreter.

Features:
  • Lighting Effects - I plan on this being like Khas' lighting system for Ace but built into the editor.
  • Ranged Audio - Audio sources can be ranged over certain tiles so you can't hear sound effects from far away.
  • Five Layers - There are five layers of tiles: Floor Layer, Floor detail Layer, Character Layer/Detail Layer, Above Character Layer, and Above Character Detail Layer.
  • Scripting Language - Flat features a simple scripting language similar to XML and HTML called Flat Game Script 1.
  • Visual GUI Editor - If you're tired of guessing coordinates like I am then you probably want to use this. Simply drag a button to where on the screen you want it to be, select a style, and choose what it will do.
  • Effects - Flat includes built in effects such as fog.
  • Animations - Make animations for your characters with unlimited frames.
  • Databases - Make unlimited databases for whatever you need; weapons, armor, people, different types of orcs.
  • Tile Size - Choose what resolution you want for tiles up to 128 by 128 (this limitation may be removed in the future).
  • Tools - Build in tools include both a task list and an image convertor.
  • DLC and Patch System - Flat allows you to release DLC for your game and patches so you don't need to send people the entire game when updating. Also if you release your project files someone with the engine can make mods using the DLC system.
  • Launch Screen - Flat includes an optional launch screen similar to Oblivion's and Skyrim's.

Screenshots:
Spoiler for Screenshots:
This one is from today. I just started the world editor. I've mainly been working on low level stuff and the user interface.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 01:59:19 AM by DoctorTodd »

Rep:
Level 98
2010 Best Veteran2014 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2014 King of RMRK2014 Favorite Staff Member2014 Best Counsel2014 Best Writer2014 Most Mature Member2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.Secret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Best Counsel2011 Best Writer2010 Funniest Member2010 Best Writer
Wow, that's pretty interesting. What types/genres of games are going to be capable of being made with this engine?
you awoke in a burning paperhouse
from the infinite fields of dreamless sleep

Rep:
Level 71
I'm aiming for almost anything 2D. There isn't a forced perspective so you aren't stuck with top down. You could make an adventure game, a side scroller, a JRPG, or a simulation game. However there won't be support for procedural generated worlds or at least for now, so you can't make a game like Terraria or Starbound. There are a few other limitations but you have a nice variety of genres to choose from.

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
2014 Best RPG Maker User - StoryProject of the Year 20142014 Queen of RMRK2011 Best Newbie2014 Best RPG Maker User - Creativity2014 Kindest Member2013 Queen of RMRKBronze SS AuthorBronze Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.GOOD!For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best Yuyubabe Smiley2012 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity);o
This is really impressive, Doc! :)
Spoiler for My Games and Art:
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

The Lhuvia Tales [Current]

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Phoenix Wright: Haunted Turnabout [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

Rep:
Level 71
Thank you!

Also if anyone is curious this is the general idea of what Flat Game Script will look like.
Code: [Select]
//Example Script

<func>
name:Update
<cond>
Type:DownKey:$MoveForwardKey
<Then>
Trigger:ExampleFunction
</Then>
</cond>
</func>

<func>
name:ExampleFunction

</func>

$MoveForwardKey refers to the strings file.

*crack*
Rep:
Level 64
2012 Most Unsung Member2012 Best NewbieFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots
Good luck Todd, I think you're going to go far as a designer ;8
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 10:53:59 PM by D&P3 »
All of my scripts are totally free to use for commercial use. You don't need to ask me for permission. I'm too lazy to update every single script post I ever made with this addendum. So ignore whatever "rule" I posted there. :)

All scripts can be found at: https://pastebin.com/u/diamondandplatinum3

Rep:
Level 71