RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[Music] From The Lake - AVAILABLE NOW

Rep:
Level 97
Definitely better than Hitler.
2014 Best Musician2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Funniest Member2013 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Best Musician2013 King of RMRKFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Musician2012 Best UsernameFor frequent good quality Wiki writing [citation needed]2011 Best MusicianMost entertaining member on the IRC2011 Funniest Member2010 Most Missed Member

As some of you already know, I've been working on a project that I'm going to have performed and recorded. If you didn't, then now you do. This is an independent project, funded entirely by myself, but will be performed entirely by actual musicians. It's entirely instrumental, though it started out as a sort of rock opera a few years ago, consisting of rock band and expanded chamber orchestra. The style is widely varied, but is modern orchestral music in an accessible form.

Spoiler for Tracklist:
1. Pinkerton Overture: A Presentiment
2. Dearly Beloved
3. Graveyard
4. A Deal With Mephistopheles
5. Arise in Bended Light
6. Where There's Tigers
7. Last House On Peachtree Street
8. Persephone At The Pier
9. Defiance's Dance, "Pleated Lux"
10. Sun Reverie
11. The Fat Man's Dance, "Subversion"
12. Coventry
13. Catastrophe's Dance, "Desperation"
14. Under the Red Moonlight
15. As the Cacophony Grows
16. The Color of Space, the Color of Dread
17. I've Missed You
18. Finale and Reprise

Spoiler for Musicians:
A bunch of people you don't know, plus me and Irock! However, they should be mentioned because they are talented individuals, and as I said:

• Ròs Clark - Sound Design, Bass, Additional Instruments
  • Daryl Faulkner - Electric Bass
  • Ed Hauser - Alto Saxophone, Tuba
  • Katie Hauser - Trombone
  • Zach Henry - French Horn
  • Nathan Howard - Piano, Electric Organ, Synthesizer
  • Kyle Landry - Piano
  • Ryan Leber - Acoustic Guitar, Electric Guitar
  • Kent McCarthy - Drums
  • Kimberly O'Brien - Celesta
  • Ashley Richeson - Flute, Alto Flute
  • Bobby Richeson - Percussion, Piano, Electric Organ, Synthesizer
  • Andrew Shoemaker - Violin, Viola

Story
Because this started out as a rock opera, much of the music written up to the point where it was decided to go all instrumental told a story in a musical sense. I decided to keep the story and to try and express it through the music and track titles, but of course there's only so much you can do with that and it leaves a rather large amount to the imagination. Deciphering what the story actually is would be impossible unless it were told to you, so here it is (written almost entirely by a friend of mine):

Spoiler for A presentiment:
Years and years ago, there was a man. We don’t know his name because he doesn’t have a name anymore. The Devil owns it. See, when you make a deal with Lucifer he not only takes claim to your soul, but also your name. So we call this man The Fat Man. The Fat Man was clever, quick and convincing. Before he met Lucifer, he could talk his way into — and out of — anything. He could convince a poor man to give him money, a hungry man to give him food. He could convince any woman to adore and any man to serve him. But he was hungry for more and more and more. He ate to his content and became extremely wealthy.

He decided one day that was not enough. He wanted more. He wanted power, eternally. Who has such power? The Devil. So, he conjured The Devil and said, “Let’s make a deal. You give me a plot of land in Hell to use as I please, and in exchange I’ll gather souls for you.” What he planned to do was use that land to get into Hell and convince its tenants to mutiny and overthrow Lucifer, naming the Fat Man king of the damned. Well, Lucifer is The Devil for several reasons, one of which is that he cannot be outwitted. So Lucifer agreed to the Fat Man’s deal and granted him a patch of land. That land is actually a tiny lake located in a tiny town on Earth called Pinkerton. This lake is special because it is basically Satan’s septic tank, where all the garbage, sludge and sewage of Hell flow. The Devil had the last laugh, and The Fat Man had a debt to pay. In order to gather souls, he had to make "deals" with people, all of which he kept because he knew if he didn't keep his word, then people would know better than to make any sort of deal with him. He gave them whatever they wanted, usually in an ironic manner, and in exchange all they had to do was drink some water from The Lake. Someone drinking from The Lake after coming to The Fat Man was the same as signing a contract - their soul now belonged to him. The catch was he could not kill that person. He had to wait to collect their soul after they died naturally or at the hands of someone other than him.

So The Fat Man took his land and did his job of making deals and gathering souls for years and years on end. Until one day, he met Persephone, the image purity — a beautiful, young thing. But the problem was her sister, Defiance, who raised her and kept her safe. While Defiance was an honest and kind woman, she hoarded greedy genes inside, festering in discontent, waiting for a break. The Fat Man could smell her greed and convinced her he could giver her endless power and money. And she agreed. He handed her a cup of water from The Lake and bade her drink. She drank it eagerly and that was that - until 6 days later when she was found dead, body floating in The Lake.

Spoiler for And so it begins:
Defiance had a lover. His name was Catastrophe. He found her face down in The Lake and was stricken with grief. He had heard rumors about what The Fat Man was capable of, just like everyone else in Pinkerton. He had always thought they were just urban legends, but he was desperate. He went to The Fat Man to ask him if he could bring Defiance back to him. This was something no one had ever asked The Fat Man before. Of course, he knew he was capable - with some help from Lucifer - but this would mean giving up a valuable soul. He decided to revive her but to leave out her soul, thus bringing back a woman who was only a shell of her former self. So he gave Catastrophe a sip of water from The Lake, and it cost Catastrophe his soul as well as his name.

After being reunited, Persephone knew immediately that something was wrong with Defiance (aside from the fact that she was previously dead and buried). Deep down, Catastrophe knew as well but remained willfully in denial, just happy to have his love returned. This wasn't something he could keep up long, however. See, Defiance's body returned, but it brought something else within it, something evil. Persephone pleaded with Catastrophe to do something about Defiance, to try and make him understand that this thing wasn't really the woman he had loved. Eventually, he knew what he must do.

Catastrophe confronted The Fat Man, and, in their fight, suffered a mortal wound and then died. The Fat Man panicked, as he knew that he was forbidden to kill anyone who had made a deal with him, but regained his composure, knowing he could work his way out of this, just like anything else. He knew of Persephone, though, that she was the only one who knew where Catastrophe had been when he ultimately died, and he knew that he needed her soul as it was stronger and more pure than anyone else's in the town.

So The Fat Man went after Persephone. But what he didn’t know is true love is a seven-headed beast. When Defiance met Catastrophe at the gates of Hell, his sacrifice for love woke The Angel who burst from heaven’s mist. He reigned down fiery death, destroying the corrupt town of Pinkerton. The Fat Man turned to ash and burned eternally. Defiance and Catastrophe became one in eternity, leaving sweet Persephone to dance on the ashes of The Fat Man’s greedy gluttony.

Thanks
There are a lot of people without whom this project would not have come to fruition or who have helped to varying degrees. This is especially true of RMRK members who have been quite generous!

Dertt
LadyJ
arlen
Acolyte
Lord Stark
Irock
yuyubabe
Malson
PhoenixFire

Your support is appreciated more than I can express.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 03:38:08 PM by haloOfTheSun »
:tinysmile:

Rep:
Level 96
2010 Most Attractive Male Member2010 Best Musician
It looks like you're going for all "real" instruments, which is awesome, but I noticed "purchase sound libraries" is on that list of your. If you're looking for a way around buying sound libraries I'd be happy to bounce a few tracks (not songs, like, instrument-tracks) for you from my computer.

Either way, good luck! Can't wait to hear the finished product.

:tinysmile::tinysmile:

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Best Musician2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Funniest Member2013 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Best Musician2013 King of RMRKFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Musician2012 Best UsernameFor frequent good quality Wiki writing [citation needed]2011 Best MusicianMost entertaining member on the IRC2011 Funniest Member2010 Most Missed Member
There are a few instruments I just won't be able to record analog, mostly percussion (taiko drum, anvil), so I'd just run some simple stuff through it. Also there are a few particular synths I want to use. I used to have several libraries, but my hard drive died and I figured I might as well legitimately purchase some. But I had actually considered asking you to bounce a few tracks for me in the case I don't have what I need in time lol. We'll just have to see what I need when the time comes. Thanks!

Rep:
Level 97
Finally confirmed my violinist. Still several musicians I need to get a hold of, but that was the big one. The rest are unnecessary at the moment anyway.

Money is a little tighter than I had expected at the moment, so things probably won't start until next month. But I'm talking to a guy about handling the recording and then we'll begin!

Rep:
Level 97
After a bit of negotiation, the very talented Kyle Landry is now on board for a couple of songs! I couldn't afford to book him for all the piano parts, unfortunately, but he'll be performing on 2 of the songs as of now, with potentially more later. Which is fine for me because those are the 2 most difficult and I'm already covering like 9 other instruments lol.

And now news on the recording process front! Tentatively starting next month we'll begin recording sessions, I'll edit the first post with the very loose schedule as of now.

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
You know, I think its all gonna be okay.
For going the distance for a balanced breakfast.Project of the Month winner for June 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2013 Best WriterSilver Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 Participant
:o Nifty. I somehow missed this untuill now, so thanx for the bump!

RMRK's Mom
Rep:
Level 88
I intend to live forever - so far so good.
2014 Most Missed Member2013 Most Mature Member2013 Kindest Member2013 Queen of RMRK2013 Best CounselBronze SS AuthorBronze Writing Reviewer2012 Kindest Member2012 Best Counselluv u bb <3Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantFor taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2010 Kindest Member

Last Stop
Rep:
Level 88
Everyone Off
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 92011 Biggest Drama WhoreBronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII

A-pow 2015
Rep:
Level 81
2014 Best RPG Maker User - GraphicsFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2013 Most Unsung MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.a^2 + b^2 = c^2How can I help you? :DSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 9Bronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII

Rep:
Level 97
anvil
anvil is an instrument?

Yep! Although I've decided to just use the common substitute, a brake drum (yes, the part of a car)

Rep:
Level 96
I love metal sounds in orchestral music.

Rep:
Level 97
And this will have lots of it, though most of it is pitched percussion: glock, chimes, wind chimes, patio chimes, vibes, celesta - but there are a lot of unpitched metallic effects (brake drum, bowed gong, waterphone. I was going to do this cool thing where you put a triangle in water but I ended up cutting the song it was in.

Rep:
Level 97
Stress level rising - recording has officially begun! Some synth and electric bass tracks are done and we'll be starting flute very soon. There's been a last minute change with who will be handling the recording process which was slightly horrifying, but everything ended up working out even better than before.

Also I've decided to do a kickstarter donation sorta thingy. I've been very apprehensive about it because I don't feel like I'm anyone to be doing that kind of thing, and honestly it feels a lot like begging and I still feel weird about it, but several people have told me they would like to donate at least a little and finances have been a bit... lower than expected so I'm going to be launching that very soon. There will be incentives for people that donate certain amounts, and everything raised will be put towards speeding up the production process and improving the quality however there are no expectations from me of any of you to donate and this project will get done whether any money is raised or not. I'll have more details about this probably later this week.

Rep:
Level 41
Bronze SS AuthorBronze Writing Reviewer
Just dropping by to say that I'm really impressed with those demo tracks (I have Dearly Beloved in particular stuck in my head, it's awesome). You're really putting a very respectable amount of effort into this!

I wish you the best of luck, Mr. Halo.

RMRK's Mom
Rep:
Level 88
2014 Most Missed Member2013 Most Mature Member2013 Kindest Member2013 Queen of RMRK2013 Best CounselBronze SS AuthorBronze Writing Reviewer2012 Kindest Member2012 Best Counselluv u bb <3Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantFor taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2010 Kindest Member
so excited for this ^_^ 

Rep:
Level 97
Among people who have heard the whole thing, Dearly Beloved tends to be one of the most liked. I almost didn't include it among the demo tracks - there's just so many to choose from and they all tend to be a lot different from one to the next, it's hard to choose just a couple of songs to reflect what the overall "album" is like - but I thought maybe it would be popular among new listeners as well and draw in some interest. So yay

And thanks

Rep:
Level 97
I really need to stop giving out dates for things because something always comes up that makes me push it back. I haven't started the donations yet because I'm working some stuff out for people in the hopes of being able to offer some pretty cool things for people that do donate. There's also been a slight hiccup in the recording process. So while I was going to post here saying the kickstarter will start next week, I'm instead going to just say it will start "soon".

Rep:
Level 41
Hey, it's alright. Take your time with this; delays aren't a bad thing as long as what you're working on comes out how ya want it to, y'know?

Rep:
Level 97
I don't really mind the delays because for the past two years and however many months I've been working on this, it's been like 80% delays. I just need to stop telling people "[x] will be done by [y]" because it almost never is. LadyJ can attest to this.

RMRK's Mom
Rep:
Level 88
It's ok though, because what you do is so awesome.  It's worth the wait ;)

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
For going the distance for a balanced breakfast.Project of the Month winner for June 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2013 Best WriterSilver Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 Participant
I totally have faith that the project will be worth any wait.

Rep:
Level 97
After several days, we'll finally resume recording tomorrow. The first of two flute sessions, yay. Also, we'll be starting our kickstarter donation thingy tomorrow. Or Sunday. It probably won't actually be Kickstarter, but you know, the crowdfunding thing - with several goodies for people who are feeling generous.

For now, since there hasn't been much of anything happening, I thought it would be neat to share some lyrics. This started out as a rock opera and then was switched to all instrumental, so these lyrics are no longer necessary and never got polished into anything decent. I'm by no means a wordsmith, but I thought it may be entertaining to see the embarrassing scraps of ineligibility rather than just tossing them into the garbage. These are in no particular order:

Spoiler for:
I have not made friends with death
I have not made death my friend
Better to make friends with my enemy
Better to make friends with this knife

The quay fades as the fog rolls in
At least it will hide our grief
Putting on a brave face
Is much easier when no one can see it

Steps turn to walking
Words into meaning
Ingredients for dinner
All the things we're learning

I look about
The man by the lake
Stranger than strange
How is it he resists you?
Where does he find the strength to?

There are times I won't let the tears out
But this time I couldn't hold them back
They flowed all the way from Pinkerton
Back to this spot
Her grave

You link your fingers to make a step
Then we cross over the fence
Approaching uneasily
I stumbled, stumbled on a stone
Dusting off memories, memories of ghosts
Better days gone bye
When you told us we're moving I didn't believe it
Cause I was born in this house, and I thought I'd die
In it too

And I told you that I missed you
But it came out something cosmic
Inauthentic
Pruning, preening
Maybe it's because
Your melody lacks coloratura

A man never knows he's guilty
Until he's forgiven
Familiar guilt, you will be my only child
My only child

I have a strange sense of subversion
I leave my guitar unattended in bars
Only to retrieve it later
Disappointed in my relief

Bullet in the side, what's a girl to do?
Hear the anguished cry
Drink of Earth's softest skin
What's a girl to do?

Flickering like an oil lamp, a figure at the foot of the bed
The color of space, the color of dread, ohh

Sat in the boat
Starting to shiver
We keep rowing
While muscles burn
Beneath my bandage
The tendons tender
But I will manage
Across the lake
Beyond the trees
He's expecting me
The daughter of a piano
Sister to late celesta

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
That should totally be copied into the Librarium.

RMRK's Mom
Rep:
Level 88
That should totally be copied into the Librarium.

Rep:
Level 41
Thirded.

That's some very impressive stuff right there.

Rep:
Level 97
We began recording flute today, and everything is sounding way better than I'd hoped. Some minor difficulties occurred meaning we'll probably end up doing 3 flute sessions instead of 2, but we're still off to a good start on that front. Electric bass recording should start Monday.

Also, donations are now accepted! Rewards are being offered for those who donate certain amounts, including an early access copy of the album, scorebook (physical and digital versions), and an artbook of concept art done by a talented artist. If you cannot donate, that is not a problem at all and I will not be disappointed in you (probably), but sharing this with others will help. http://www.gofundme.com/7e9tkg

(I'm trying to act comfortable about accepting donations but this still feels weird)

RMRK's Mom
Rep:
Level 88
I gave ^_^  I'm so excited for this project! 

I don't blame you for being uncomfortable mister, asking for help is hard!  But just remember.. (don't sing this) We all need somebody to leaaaaaaaan on  xD 

I hope I'm not the only one who sang that line ;_;
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 08:41:16 PM by King HaloOfTheSun »

Rep:
Level 97
Thanks!

Also there's a Facebook page if you want to Like it so you can heckle me publicly or keep up with updates or something.

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Best Non-RM Creator2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2014 Biggest Forum Potato2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)2013 Best IRC ChatterboxParticipant - GIAW 112012 Most Successful Troll2012 Funniest Member2012 Best IRC Chatterbox2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature spaceSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Best IRC Chatterbox2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Most Successful Troll

Rep:
Level 97

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Best Non-RM Creator2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2014 Biggest Forum Potato2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)2013 Best IRC ChatterboxParticipant - GIAW 112012 Most Successful Troll2012 Funniest Member2012 Best IRC Chatterbox2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature spaceSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Best IRC Chatterbox2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Most Successful Troll
I didn't even realize that was animated until you made it big.

Rep:
Level 97
I'm not going to keep posting about donating, especially not here on RMRK, but $80 raised so far - it may not seem like a lot but it was much more than I was expecting. And almost all of it has come from RMRK members. I'm already working on scheduling some additional recording sessions with the money (I'm able to access the donated money any time, one of the reasons I chose GoFundMe), so your donations will be put to good use hopefully soon!

Rep:
Level 72
~Few people understand the beauty of the night~
2014 Best Topic
Shared it on my Facebook, and, tweeted it from business twitter account... hope that draws some attention your way. I have a few friends who are musicians themselves, so I hope they'll sympathize with the cause and donate a little..

EDIT: I looked at my bank account, and saw I had some funds to donate, and when I went to do so, it required me to pay with credit card =p any way you could set up a PayPal account? I don't do card payments....
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 04:42:47 AM by PhoenixFire »
Download http://a.tumblr.com/tumblr_lm5v281q6E1qde50fo1.mp3

Rep:
Level 97
Ah, with all the things going on the past few days I knew I would end up forgetting something. Yes, I meant to also post a link for PayPal donations too. Anyone who donates through PayPal will also receive the corresponding applicable reward level from the GoFundMe page. I'll add this tomorrow night.

Much appreciated!

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
2014 Queen of RMRKProject of the Year 20142014 Best RPG Maker User - Story2011 Best Newbie2014 Best RPG Maker User - Creativity2014 Kindest Member2013 Queen of RMRKBronze SS AuthorBronze Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.GOOD!For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)2012 Best Yuyubabe Smiley;o
Hang in there! ;_; I'm awaitin' my next paycheck for this (that last one went a little too quickly lol). B) This time, I've got a bit more work hours!~
Spoiler for My Games and Art:
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

The Lhuvia Tales [Current]

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Phoenix Wright: Haunted Turnabout [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

Rep:
Level 97
I know how that is. I pay my credit card, rent, and then wonder why I have no money left! Don't give anything if you can't spare it, it's really okay. Just knowing you guys would is awesome enough!

Rep:
Level 97
Okay, I think I've set this up correctly. You should be able to donate via PayPal if you prefer.

Rep:
Level 72
2014 Best Topic
Sent a little funds your way   :zlove:

Rep:
Level 97
Much appreciated!

Rep:
Level 72
2014 Best Topic
No problem :) I wish I could donate more, but I quite literally JUST got a better job...

But as one donator already said, keep your head up, and stay strong. Dreams DO come true :)

Rep:
Level 96
I will get to listing to this. I swear. Life is so busy and filled with things I wish didn't matter. What matters to me most is music, really, and that includes music written by absolutely anyone, and I want to be there to be supportive of that, but sometimes life is annoying and gets in the way. I'll get to this, I swear.

edit: a *bit* drunk. you get me, i know you do, and i love you

Rep:
Level 97
lol no worries, man.

And while I'm posting here I'd like to thank everyone here for there support! You've all been great in one way or another, whether it's been through donations, encouragement, assisting, or some combination of that. I can seriously say that without RMRK, this project would never have happened, and that has nothing to do with money or anything.

Speaking of donations, I meant to say before that I'll be giving away any one of my Pokemon of your choice to all of you who have donated (or may end up doing so) once Roph gets that all worked out. Yes, even my Celebi. Though who knows, at the rate some people here are going, you may not need anything I have by then!

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
2014 Queen of RMRKProject of the Year 20142014 Best RPG Maker User - Story2011 Best Newbie2014 Best RPG Maker User - Creativity2014 Kindest Member2013 Queen of RMRKBronze SS AuthorBronze Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.GOOD!For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)2012 Best Yuyubabe Smiley;o
Actually, that's not necessary, Halo!

With Roph's permission, I will gift a shiny or non-shiny pokemon of their choosing to each person that donated. ;o Just send a PM my way, letting me know what Pokemon you'd like~
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

Rep:
Level 72
2014 Best Topic
Actually, that's not necessary, Halo!

With Roph's permission, I will gift a shiny or non-shiny pokemon of their choosing to each person that donated. ;o Just send a PM my way, letting me know what Pokemon you'd like~

so you mean to tell me I could have a shiny Mew???  :gracie:   -does happy dance if this is true-

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
so you mean to tell me I could have a shiny Mew???  :gracie:   -does happy dance if this is true-

If that is your wish, mademoiselle. ;o
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

Rep:
Level 97
But that's why I was hoarding! Well whatever, makes no difference to me 8)

EDIT: Caught a Fearow on this post lol

EDIT 2: Then there was a Houndour on the post below but I just caught that Fearow ._.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 03:06:14 AM by King HaloOfTheSun »

Rep:
Level 72
2014 Best Topic
-commences happy dance-

:discosect:

RMRK's Mom
Rep:
Level 88
HALOOFTHESUN, I, Baroness Jules, JUST CANNOT HIDE MY LOVE FOR YOU FOR A SECOND LONGER ;___; OH MY GOD

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
KAPEW, KAPEW!

Enjoy your new mew!
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

Rep:
Level 72
2014 Best Topic
KAPEW, KAPEW!

Enjoy your new mew!

define $happy_level=( :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D )*infinite

:) thank yooou

Rep:
Level 72
2014 Best Topic
So, someone outside of the USA want to tell me if my ad  has been placed up...?

Rep:
Level 97
what

Are you sure you posted that in the right thread

Rep:
Level 72
2014 Best Topic
Yep, I'm sure.. take a look at the top of this page...

Should see a banner with From The Lake on it? Also, I'm the high bidder on ALL channels right now :D

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2014 Most Unsung Member2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Best Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2010 Best Use Of Avatar And Signature Space
It is in Canada at least.

Rep:
Level 72
2014 Best Topic
cool, and I have it up on mine here in the US

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I saw it for a bit. Now it's the "Worst Things For Sale" one. ;_;
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

Rep:
Level 97
RMRK has ads? I am ~~sooooo~~ confused right now !!!

Spoiler for:
okay, I know RMRK has ads but I've never seen one because of adblock please forgive me Roph ._.

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Now it's something about bridges. Wrrrrooooar! Bring back the "From The Lake" ad, Project Wonderful! ._.
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

Rep:
Level 72
2014 Best Topic
Now it's something about bridges. Wrrrrooooar! Bring back the "From The Lake" ad, Project Wonderful! ._.

Back now :3

Rep:
Level 97
Lord Stark has also donated - thanks very much!

I promise that very soon we'll be getting back to non-donation-related updates. You probably won't see me around Saturday and Sunday and then after that I'm going to try and get the next recording session scheduled for that Saturday the 22nd.

EDIT: Just realized that I don't think I mentioned Acolyte's donation yesterday! Very sorry about that - but thank you so much! You are all too kind.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 07:01:13 PM by King HaloOfTheSun »

RMRK's dad-in-training
Rep:
Level 72
Busy Husband, Dad, and Youth Minister
GIAW 14: 2nd Place (Easy Mode)2014 Best WriterBronze - GIAW 11 (Normal)Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.2012 Best NewbieContestant - GIAW 9
I almost entered in a bidding war with you for the leaderboard ad.

But then I didn't.

Keep up the good work Halo!

A-pow 2015
Rep:
Level 81
2014 Best RPG Maker User - GraphicsFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2013 Most Unsung MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.a^2 + b^2 = c^2How can I help you? :DSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 9Bronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
Lord Stark has also donated - thanks very much!

I promise that very soon we'll be getting back to non-donation-related updates. You probably won't see me around Saturday and Sunday and then after that I'm going to try and get the next recording session scheduled for that Saturday the 22nd.

EDIT: Just realized that I don't think I mentioned Acolyte's donation yesterday! Very sorry about that - but thank you so much! You are all too kind.

No problem bro.  :drsword:

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
Nice ad. It took me a second to realise what i was looking at!

Rep:
Level 97
For the record, the ad is not my doing.

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I know who dun it
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

Rep:
Level 97
I do too I just don't want to take credit for something I didn't do

Rep:
Level 72
2014 Best Topic
Hey yeah, I know who she was too...

I'm pretty sure it was some generous feeling member that just wanted to help out, and she decided that PW might just be a good way to do so =p honestly, no big deal guys...

( ´ิ(ꈊ) ´ิ) ((≡^⚲͜^≡)) (ી(΄◞ิ౪◟ิ‵)ʃ)
Rep:
Level 102
(っ˘ڡ˘ς) ʕ•̼͛͡•ʕ-̺͛͡•ʔ•̮͛͡•ʔ (*ꆤ.̫ꆤ*)
2014 Avast Ye Merry Pirate!2013 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award2012 Avast Ye Merry Pirate AwardFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Avast Ye Merry Pirate2011 Most Unsung Member2010 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award
And I'll send the PW income from here or elsewhere to Halo :yuyu:
bringing sexy back

Rep:
Level 97
Tomorrow we resume recording sessions for flute! It's very likely we'll need one more after this, though hopefully there will be such little left to do that I can double it up with another instrument's session.

In any case, tomorrow I will probably post a little clip of some of the flute music, just to give people an idea of the quality of recording this will be.

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I didn't forget about this! ;o;

I only wish I could have helped out a little more! ;9
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

Rep:
Level 97
Don't be silly. Giving anything is loads of help! <3

Rep:
Level 97
Just got back from recording! We got a lot done today.

But uh... I forgot to get the clip I was going to show people. :mad: I'm gonna see if I can get it sent to me tonight.

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
GOSH, halo. :mad:

(No, seriously, we can be patient ;_; )
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

RMRK's Mom
Rep:
Level 88
Heck no we cain't (cause that's how I say it :mad:)

:bigmad:

Rep:
Level 97
He said he'll send it to me tomorrow morning :mad:

RMRK's Mom
Rep:
Level 88

RMRK's Mom
Rep:
Level 88
It's tomorrow morning :mad:

Rep:
Level 72
2014 Best Topic

Rep:
Level 97
Yeah, I've texted him but he still hasn't responded to my message. He's a pretty busy guy. I definitely don't want to annoy him by constantly messaging him about it, so we'll just have to wait and see. If he still hasn't sent it by tomorrow I'll post another MIDI demo or something.

RMRK's Mom
Rep:
Level 88

Rep:
Level 97
He just responded and said he'll get it to me soon. So, fingers crossed I guess.

Not that he's unreliable or anything. Like I said, he's very busy. And when I say very busy I mean I can't even comprehend the amount of stuff he has going on, so sending me a flute track I forgot to ask for in the first place is probably lower on his list of priorities than a lot of things. So it's no big deal. He's great and very professional and I'm really excited to be working with him.

Oh, and he'll probably be filling in the acoustic guitar part for me - and potentially some electric guitar.

Rep:
Level 41
Nothin' wrong with being busy.

Just keep on trucking, my friend. Can't wait to here those guitars, btw; I love me some acoustic. <3

Rep:
Level 97
Here we go: Download https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/355574/WTTf1stflute.mp3

Remember that this is raw audio so we haven't done anything to it yet, plus it's a low bitrate mp3, but good enough for what this is. We actually need to do another take on this because the end is a little sloppy, but you get the idea.

RMRK's Mom
Rep:
Level 88
That is lovely ^_^

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
;_; why can't I play the flute like that?

*cries in a corner*

(I guess I can't play the flute at all. D:)
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

Rep:
Level 97
Here's the section that flute solo occurs in as heard in the MIDI version, for comparison or something: Download https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/355574/WTTsection3.mp3
So definitely a lot of improvement having a real person actually play it (plus MIDI flute just sucks anyway and is way quiet). And as you can see, or hear rather, a lot of instruments left to record in just this passage alone.

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
O.O Whoa. That really is a big difference.

Definitely like the human version better. :V
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

Rep:
Level 72
2014 Best Topic
I like it, very calming on the nerves :)

my name is Timothy what's yours
Rep:
Level 79
Hello
2014 Most Missed Member2014 Zero to Hero2014 Best IRC Quote2012 Zero To HeroSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantContestant - GIAW 9For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Zero to Hero
We actually need to do another take on this because the end is a little sloppy, but you get the idea.
dem semiquavers amirite

i reckon i could do that on a flute probably much worse tone quality though :mad:
it's like a metaphor or something i don't know

Rep:
Level 41
Wow, that MIDI version is wonderful.

Great job all around!

Rep:
Level 97
We actually need to do another take on this because the end is a little sloppy, but you get the idea.
dem semiquavers amirite

i reckon i could do that on a flute probably much worse tone quality though :mad:

Yeah. If it weren't a solo it wouldn't be a big deal because you wouldn't notice some of the notes being glossed over or whatever if it were being played by other instruments.

She has really good tone quality - dat vibrato. I've heard her play it right a dozen times before, mistakes happen, and for some reason I just didn't catch it in the studio. Well, none of us did. It's an easy fix though.

I think she's wishing I hadn't posted it because it she thinks it makes her look bad lol. It isn't a big deal though, because we'll just get a better take next time. And really I wouldn't have posted it at all if I hadn't already said I was going to. Oh well.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 08:38:08 PM by King HaloOfTheSun »

RMRK's Mom
Rep:
Level 88
Tell her to stop it! Heck I thought it was pretty good, you music people have to catch the mistakes. We music lovers just enjoy it ;P   

Rep:
Level 97
Just when things seemed like they were picking up steam, we've reached a bit of a lull. The only downside with working with so many people and musicians is that you're working with a lot of people. That means lots of schedules to synchronize, and, because of how life goes, that means lots of rescheduling and changing plans and moving things around etc.

That's okay, though, because while for the most part April probably won't have much activity, May and June will for sure. I'm hoping this weekend to start recording tuba, but that's seeming unlikely so that might have to wait a bit. Trombone and saxophone to come after. I imagine acoustic guitar recording will be done sometime soonish, since the guy handling most of the recording is playing that, so he doesn't need me there for it to be done. Synths and piano are getting recorded a little bit here and there. Bass is still being worked on as I type this, and then June will yield some awesome drum recordings. Somewhere in here I hope we can begin violin recording - this month ideally but most probably not until May at least.

I was going to start recording cello this coming Saturday, but the cellist quit on me suddenly :mad:, so that probably won't be done until late this year since I have to find someone new now and I don't know anymore cellists. But that's okay, one thing at a time.

In trying to get everything coordinated I made up a chart for me to keep track of what has been recorded, what hasn't, and who plays in which song. It's certainly helping to let me know at a glance what needs to be done but a side-effect of it making up the chart this early on is that it all seems quite overwhelming (there's lots of songs and a ton of instruments, though many of them will be virtual).

Spoiler for:

While it looks as though we're only halfway through recording flute even though we've been working on that for like a month now, there's actually not a lot left to record for that.

Rep:
Level 79
Hello
2014 Most Missed Member2014 Zero to Hero2014 Best IRC Quote2012 Zero To HeroSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantContestant - GIAW 9For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Zero to Hero
That spreadsheet shows a woeful lacking of bass clarinet ;9
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 12:16:47 PM by Baron von Pacman »

Rep:
Level 97
Yeah, I've been debating adding more or just cutting it entirely, which is why it's just stuck at one song at the moment. I could even just give bassoon parts to bass clarinet or something, but I'd rather not.

I suppose this makes a good opportunity to talk about the somewhat strange choices in instrumentation going on sometimes. The thing to remember most is that this is being done on a budget. That doesn't mean I'm going to sacrifice the quality of music by leaving things out that I feel need to be there, but it does mean that I just can't afford to use every instrument I want on every single song which is a major reason when looking at the spreadsheet that the brass and woodwinds' appearances are kind of spotty. This isn't such a bad thing, though. In actuality I ended up liking this more because it subtly gives each song a different characteristic. But it does mean I have situations where I have to think "does this really need a bass clarinet part or can I just use the bassoon which I'm already going to pay for anyway?".

The other thing that is a more specific reason that there is a lack of bass clarinet is that there are already a lot of bass instruments: bassoon, trombone, tuba, guitars (which I generally have in the tenor range most often, but still has a lot of bass notes), bass guitar, cello (and french horn can get a bit low sometimes too). That isn't even counting piano, marimba, timpani, etc. This is also the reason there is no contrabass in the strings. It would be nice to have, but it's just not practical (plus I don't even know anyone that plays the bass because no one does - it's boring).

So I don't know. I was just thinking about this last night actually. I think what will happen is I'm going to save recording bass clarinet for last and just wait to hear how the tracks develop until then. If there's enough room to squeeze another instrument into the bass range then I probably will.

Such a long reply to such a short post

Rep:
Level 41
Hey, when you're on a budget, the best course of action is to the make the most of what you have. I can tell you're doing just that.

Do whatever else you can as well, of course.

Rep:
Level 97
The budget has actually been beneficial, I think. As I said it's made me limit instrumentation but I do think that's been a good thing. If money weren't an issue, I would probably have put every instrument in every song (minus "Graveyard" and not counting percussion and "specialty" instruments). It's made the writing better, really, because I've had to think a lot more about balance than I normally would and whether certain things are actually necessary.

Also it keeps things fresh for the listener's ear, mostly subconsciously. For example, there's a period of 5 consecutive songs without the acoustic guitar. It's an important instrument, and it isn't left out of those songs to save money, but just because the budget made me consider whether it was actually needed to have it in those songs, which it turns out the songs are better without it. And while you might not notice consciously the absence of an acoustic guitar, your ear will. The aural color the instrument brings will be noticed and welcomed after a 5-song absence. Things like that are important when you consider there's 19 songs - almost 80 minutes of music - which can be very tiring to a listener sitting through it all at once. Changing things up like that keeps it from getting too tiring too quickly.

I guess today is HaloOfTheSun Gives Lectures On Musical Mechanics Nobody Asked About Day. :P

RMRK's Mom
Rep:
Level 88
The aural color the instrument brings will be noticed and welcomed ...

I love it when you talk dirty.  :zwink:

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

Rep:
Level 97

Rep:
Level 79
Hello
a really long post

If you ever really want to use bass clarinet but it doesn't seem practical due to budget or whatever, please let me know. It's such a beautiful instrument and it would be a shame if you couldn't use it just because of some silly moneys.

Bassoon clearly supreme instrument tho

Rep:
Level 97
Are you offering to play bass clarinet for me or something

Bassoon > Bass Clarinet

Rep:
Level 79
Hello
I'm saying if you want a bass clarinet and you don't have a bass clarinet, I am a bass clarinet. Dush.

Rep:
Level 97
I always thought you were a didgeridoo.

AND WHO PUT THAT TINY FACE IN MY SIGNATURE

Rep:
Level 41
The bass gods

better run man OH SHIT

Rep:
Level 79
Hello
I always thought you were a didgeridoo.

AND WHO PUT THAT TINY FACE IN MY SIGNATURE
i am a lot of things.

Rep:
Level 97
I just wanted to let everyone know that there probably won't be any updates here for a while. There's been lots of changes and rescheduling, resulting in analog recording being held off until June - but boy, is June going to be very busy: drums, saxophone, trombone, tuba, and possibly some violin and piano. Other things will probably be worked on in the meantime, but I'm not going to discuss that right now since it's a bit up in the air, but hopefully the people I've talked to will be able to get some recording done soon (it's okay if you don't, for those of you who are actually members here and may read this - whenever you have the time, no rush... for now anyway lol).

For the time being, I'll probably put up another MIDI version of one of these songs.

I've also been going through all the unused music I've written for this of which there is quite a lot. Almost as much as the music that made the cut, I'd wager. The program I write in, Sibelius, also has a feature called "Versions" which lets you save a version of the score within the score for instances where you make changes but you aren't entirely sure you'll want to keep it or if you're like me and you just like to look back at how a piece of music may have changed over time. It's actually pretty interesting how drastically some of these songs have changed. Back when I first started this and it was a rock opera, I also wanted to include a lot of shifts in genre and for each song to be stylistically different one to the next. That's not something that stayed as changes were made, although it's still there to a degree. But it's really weird hearing some of these songs done in a flamenco style which then transitions into a surf rock style. Maybe that's something I should have left in. Oh well, there's always future projects ;)

I may put together a post that showcases one of these evolutions later on with clips comparing the changes, etc. but I don't think that will actually be as interesting as it may sound to many people (and I imagine it probably doesn't sound that interesting anyway).

tl;dr TO BE CONTINUED (in June or maybe late May)

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dayum. That's a lot of instruments. o.o

Good luck to you guys! B) May June be an ever-promising month!
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

Rep:
Level 41
Take your time, by all means. You've definitely got a productive month coming, and we're all excited to see what you have.

Rep:
Level 97
Okay screw it, I'm gonna start tracking the loads of percussion for this thing. That was something I was going to do towards the end of production because I had to buy the library, but I went ahead and did it now because the idea of sitting and waiting until June to get anything done makes me fidgety. You might say I'm a bit of a workaholic. That's okay though, because, as you may see from the chart, there is a quite large amount of percussion. In fact it turns out that chart is missing a few entries on the percussion side and I'm sure I'll have some ideas for new parts as I'm getting it all ready, so this is good I have a month just to concentrate on this alone.

In other news, I decided to upload another MIDI demo track, Sun Reverie:
Download https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/355574/10.%20Sun%20Reverie.mp3

RMRK's Mom
Rep:
Level 88
I was iffy, then it hit 1 min in, and I was sold :)   

I'm your number one fan
Spoiler for:

Rep:
Level 97
lol

Well the beginning is one of those bits that in particular does not benefit well from being a synthetic performance. Although even after it's recorded, that whole intro section will still be harder to digest for some than others because there are some strong dissonances and the home key is not established very well etc. There is actually a lot of strong dissonance and general "unpleasantness" throughout a lot of the songs, but up until now the demos haven't shown that much. That is not to say it isn't enjoyable, just that there are many parts that are intended to be difficult on your ear so that when moments like the one at 1 minute into Sun Reverie show up, they are much more welcomed and have a stronger impact. And then there are other musical reasons and stuff that I won't bother getting into right now because no one actually cares lol.

Glad you liked it!

Rep:
Level 41
So I gave Sun Reverie a listen, since it's been a while since I gave a track of yours a listen.

I have to say, the tone shifts around 1:00 and 3:00 are excellent and really helped me enjoy the song. I WAS rather neutral on the intro, to be honest, though considering how well done the rest of the track is, I think it's a great set-up, if just for the sheer contrast.

Exceptional effort, my king.

Rep:
Level 97
The intro will make more sense within the context of the entire project as a whole. Plus being unMIDIfied will help too. Even still, the intro along with a lot of other parts will be a bit harder to digest. This is intentional and I think/hope people will understand why and will still enjoy it. Not that anything is straight up atonal or anything.

Thanks!

Rep:
Level 97
Ohhhh I get it now. I uploaded an older version of Sun Reverie. I was wondering why the intro seemed to be a problem for people. The current version is not as dissonant and harsh as the one you've heard, though it still is to a degree.

Rep:
Level 97
So it turns out the studio I was going to use to record drums no longer exists. After a minor panic attack I managed to find another one that should do just fine. Drum tracking will officially begin June 11th! Exciting. Less exciting: Tuba will be recorded on June 7th, with trombone and saxophone to follow each Saturday after that. I was hoping to start recording violin at the end of this month, but for various reasons that will be pushed back. Perhaps the end of June, but will definitely start by July.

Also I've decided to cut another song, "Burdened Clouds of Mournful Gray". I'll probably work up a version of it to be included with the demos and alt tracks for those who donated, though it won't be a recording of live musicians.

Rep:
Level 41
Always sucks when a convenient option (the studio in this case, of course) just up and disappears. :/

Glad you found a replacement, though! Violin it up, too, my brotha.

RMRK's Mom
Rep:
Level 88
Starbucks seemed overrated so I donated to your project.  Happy Birthday music man!  <3 

Rep:
Level 97
Recording drums tomorrow and Thursday! Hopefully we'll get it all done in these two days (a huge undertaking). I just wanted to let y'all that donated know that I've taken all of your money and am using it for these two days.

Beyond that there isn't much else to say that I haven't been saying already: going to start recording tuba, trombone, saxophone on the 21st. We were supposed to start on the 7th but a lot of stuff kept coming up. The 21st is definite now. And I'm also trying to schedule some time to record violin around the 27th. I wanted to start on that a month ago, but stuff kept coming up. Frustrating, but understandable.

I have all but one percussion track done which is one of the ones I'm going to actually have to perform myself, and I've done a lot of synth stuff. I'm actually really excited about that because I made a bunch of my own patches and they sound really cool. I put a little demo together and showed a couple of people and they said it's the coolest thing they've heard in a long time, so there's that. I think mostly they were unaware that there was going to be so much electronic stuff in these songs since you don't really get that in the MIDI versions.

Anyway, super excited/nervous about tomorrow. Still have tons of click tracks to get ready before then, so back to work!

Rep:
Level 102
Recording drums tomorrow and Thursday! Hopefully we'll get it all done in these two days (a huge undertaking). I just wanted to let y'all that donated know that I've taken all of your money and am using it for these two days.

Beyond that there isn't much else to say that I haven't been saying already: going to start recording tuba, trombone, saxophone on the 21st. We were supposed to start on the 7th but a lot of stuff kept coming up. The 21st is definite now. And I'm also trying to schedule some time to record violin around the 27th. I wanted to start on that a month ago, but stuff kept coming up. Frustrating, but understandable.

I have all but one percussion track done which is one of the ones I'm going to actually have to perform myself, and I've done a lot of synth stuff. I'm actually really excited about that because I made a bunch of my own patches and they sound really cool. I put a little demo together and showed a couple of people and they said it's the coolest thing they've heard in a long time, so there's that. I think mostly they were unaware that there was going to be so much electronic stuff in these songs since you don't really get that in the MIDI versions.

Anyway, super excited/nervous about tomorrow. Still have tons of click tracks to get ready before then, so back to work!

Rep:
Level 41
yes that is what he said good job

I'd assume he's still busy with it or something's just fucking with his attention and keeping him from getting it done. People tend to be like that with projects.

Rep:
Level 97
I actually made another post after that one. I don't know why it's missing. I guess someone didn't like it. Here's the tl;dr version, from what I remember:

Recording progress chart updated! Looks like a lot is done but the chart is a liar, very long way to go.

Drums sound great! He had about two weeks to learn some very difficult and demanding music, and knocked out 17 songs in 2 days. Amazing work, but understandably there are a lot of mistakes I need to try and fix (unintentional rim hits, missed/hesitant notes, etc.). There's a couple of songs where I can tell he's just exhausted, so hopefully we can hide that fact a bit lol.

What we've pieced together so far sounds awesome. Excited to show people... but it'll be a long time before I have anything to show. I might put together some demos later on of what we've recorded so far for the people who donated, just as a little preview, but even that would be at least a couple of months away, so we'll see.

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I actually made another post after that one. I don't know why it's missing. I guess someone didn't like it.

Nothing that I could see in the log. ;_;

Maybe it was Ghost Dog :mad:
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

Rep:
Level 97
Maybe I hit "Preview" instead of "Post" and then closed the tab or something.

Probably Ghost Dog tho

Rep:
Level 97
We are still progressing, inching forward ever slowly week by week. We're getting close to a time, though, that things are going to slow down drastically. This is not entirely a bad thing. All the musicians I've worked with so far have been kind enough to do so for free, but with the exception of two or three of them, their work is now done. But I still have many instruments left to record, meaning it's going to be time to start looking for musicians to hire. I knew this was coming, but I honestly didn't think we'd get to that point so fast! This is largely due to all the donations, which put our schedule literally a month ahead of what was planned. Once all the announced musicians get their work done, that will leave recording only 5 more people! For us that's a small number, but make no mistake, that's still going to take several months to get done.

At the same time, we've hit a bit of a bump in the road. I'm not going to discuss the reasons openly (they aren't really all that interesting or dramatic like you may think anyway), but I've had to replace the violinist. I'm still on good terms with the former violinist and it isn't anything personal or anything like that.  I've luckily already found a new one but recording him is going to take a long time due to how far away he lives.

As for what else I should post, I've been debating on what to include. I like to keep a bit of mystery, in a sense, as to what's going on and how the songs are turning out. But on the other hand, if I keep making boring long-winded posts then I'm probably going to start annoying people (if I haven't already), so here's a very rough, very early demo of one of the songs, "The Color of Space, The Color of Dread". PLEASE KEEP IN MIND that there are a lot of mistakes that need to be fixed, especially with instruments not lining up very well with each other. We haven't done any quantizing or anything to these tracks yet. There's not even any reverb. This is all raw audio and a lot of it hasn't even been mixed properly, except to avoid clipping and bringing parts done so as to not be obnoxious.  There are also many instruments missing! So if you have a comment such as "[x] is boring because nothing is happening" or "your drummer sucks" or "I can't hear the melody very well at [x]" or "your keyboardist sucks", save those comments until the finished version and see if you still feel that way. Any other criticism is welcomed though!

Download https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/355574/TCOSTCODdemo3.mp3

Rep:
Level 97
;9

So uh, yeah! It's been a while. Things are still going, albeit slowly. There's not much to update on, and there probably won't be for a while. But all of the synth/digital instruments are done, unless you count electric guitar. Everyone pester Malson to get him going on that :V We'll be recording more in early January and then probably not much of anything until later next year, unfortunately. It's gotten down to the point where the only instruments I have left to record are those where I'll need to hire a musician and probably pay for studio time, and financially I'm not in a place to do that right now. So it's going to be a bit longer before this project gets finished, but it will happen!

EDIT: Oh yeah, donators will get a piano version of "Graveyard" soon, performed by Kyle Landry!
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 10:35:31 PM by haloOfTheSun »

Rep:
Level 97
Small update + venting:

Dang, this whole project has been way more than I thought it would be. It's like a stream of one unfortunate event after another, most of it delays. All the delays the past few months have been due to weather (preventing travel between cities) so thankfully that won't be an issue anymore. There also seems to be a problem with some lost audio :mad: but nothing too major. It's still a setback and an annoyance, though. It's not really anyone's fault and I know why it happened. But it still annoys me :mad: So just a bunch of stuff like that since basically, gosh, July? Unforeseen money issues slowed things down too, but that's not as much of a problem anymore.

In fact, in order to speed up this process I'm going to get recording equipment myself. It's the same equipment we've been using, so the quality will remain the same. But now I'm able to use it anytime instead of only Saturdays from 3 to 6pm. This also means I can actually travel to musicians and record in their home instead of trying to work travel into their schedule - and I won't have to rent a studio if I do that because, well, I am the studio. So while it costs a lot upfront it will save money and a LOT of time in the long run. No more working around 3 or 4 schedules for a little 2 hour session!

So before that I was thinking I wouldn't be able to make my goal of finishing recording this year, but now that's a very strong possibility *fingers crossed*

I know you guys understand/don't really care, but thanks for your patience.

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I was wondering how things were going with FTL, so it's good to see an update! :D I'm sorry to hear that the past couple months sucked, but it's great to see you bounce back from those setbacks! I'm very much excited to see the finished product, and shall be keeping my fingers crossed for you. B)

B
)
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

Rep:
Level 102
What kind of equipment are you getting? :o

RMRK's Mom
Rep:
Level 88

Rep:
Level 97
I was wondering how things were going with FTL, so it's good to see an update! :D I'm sorry to hear that the past couple months sucked, but it's great to see you bounce back from those setbacks! I'm very much excited to see the finished product, and shall be keeping my fingers crossed for you. B)

B
)

Well I take it as a learning experience. There's a lot more that goes into this than I expected, and some of it I should have expected. For future projects I'll know better and hopefully things will go smoothly. I don't really mind too much. What bothers me the most is that From The Lake is officially almost 3 and a half years old. I'm very anxious to let everyone hear it - and honestly quite ready to move on to other things lol. But I don't want to rush it and end up compromising the quality, either.

What kind of equipment are you getting? :o

The microphone is an MXL 880 condenser. It's used more for vocals, but it works pretty well for instruments too. Well enough for a large-scale low budget project like this, anyway. I think there's a USB version, but I'm not very satisfied with the quality of USB microphones that we tried out, and everyone that knows about recording that I've talked to recommends against them if possible, as well. So that means I'm also getting a Presonus firestudio project interface for the mic.

One day when we have our own house we want to set up a recording studio anyway, so this is a good start.

^_^

:ktktl:

Rep:
Level 97

Arrived today. I need a new mic cable so I'll have to borrow one in the meantime. But I think by the time June rolls around, I'll be ready to do lots of recording.

Rep:
Level 72
2014 Best Topic
Woooott!!!

Looks good. I'm always glad to see a new post in this thread TBH hahah

Rep:
Level 97
Well hopefully before long the posts will be more interesting lol

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
QUICK - post nudes
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
99% of the internet loves nudes
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

Rep:
Level 97
Okay!

By the end of July some serious progress will have been made. Many dates for recording are scheduled. After that I'll only have:

Acoustic guitar
Electric guitar
Alto flute
Trumpet
French horn
Viola
Cello

left to record. That seems like a lot but it really isn't, all things considered. You shouldn't expect to be listening to the finished project anytime soon. So what's the big deal then? Well this means there is finally a light at the end of this tunnel.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Rep:
Level 96
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
GIAW 14: 2nd Place (Hard Mode)2013 Biggest Drama Whore2013 Zero to HeroParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
why don't you just have the eagles take you over the tunnel?
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2014 Most Unsung Member2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Best Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2010 Best Use Of Avatar And Signature Space
Okay!

By the end of July some serious progress will have been made. Many dates for recording are scheduled. After that I'll only have:

Acoustic guitar
Electric guitar
Alto flute
Trumpet
French horn
Viola
Cello

left to record. That seems like a lot but it really isn't, all things considered. You shouldn't expect to be listening to the finished project anytime soon. So what's the big deal then? Well this means there is finally a light at the end of this tunnel.

That is great news!

Rep:
Level 97
why don't you just have the eagles take you over the tunnel?

Because the eagles will get shot.

Rep:
Level 96
GIAW 14: 2nd Place (Hard Mode)2013 Biggest Drama Whore2013 Zero to HeroParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
oh ok sorry
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

RMRK's Mom
Rep:
Level 88

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
Omg I'm so glad I didn't miss the release!

Rep:
Level 102
I played french horn in middle school before I quit because I wasn't good at it so if you need a french horn player you know who to call (not me) :)

Rep:
Level 97
ok thanks I'll be sure to do that

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Okay!

Acoustic guitar
Electric guitar
Alto flute
Trumpet
French horn
Viola
Cello

How did I miss this? That's awesome!! ;_;
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

Rep:
Level 97
Omg I'm so glad I didn't miss the release!

Don't worry. Once it's done I'll make a big to-do and make sure all you RMRK peoples know in some way or another.

Okay!

Acoustic guitar
Electric guitar
Alto flute
Trumpet
French horn
Viola
Cello

How did I miss this? That's awesome!! ;_;

It is awesome, yes. If everything goes well this month then a huge chucnk will get done. Some of it I've been super worried about. The fact that we're about to move forward on it is exciting, a huge relief, and terrifying all at the same time.

RMRK's Mom
Rep:
Level 88
How big is a huge chucnk? Is that like pretty close to all or  ;D

;8

Rep:
Level 97
Yes and no.

I've already done some recording and we didn't get as much done as I'd hoped. It's no one's fault, it's just sometimes no matter how much you practice something when it comes time to actually perform it you may make a mistake. (we were also working with a "damaged" instrument, so getting it to produce certain pitches has been difficult). So in addition to the instruments listed above, I'll probably have to add tuba to the list and very likely just a little more violin. They won't take much time to do, it's just a matter of finding the time to do them.

And finding the time to do the rest of them. That's the big thing. That and money. French horn, trumpet, viola, and most likely cello are going to cost me. I should be able to afford it all around September.

Of all the instruments that are left:

Acoustic guitar: should not actually take too long once we get started. Planning on that maybe this month but possibly not until August.
Electric guitar: That's up to Malson. He's a pretty busy guy these days, so I don't know. Once he gets going I don't think it should take more than a month.
Alto flute: we can get this all recorded in a day. I just have to make a trip to Louisville first and also find a place to sit down for a few hours and record it.
Trumpet: will probably only take 2 sessions. Depends on who I hire
French horn: will probably take 3 sessions. Depends on who I hire
Viola: will probably take 3 sessions. Depends on who I hire. This is also going to be a tricky one, because finding someone who actually plays viola is not easy.
Cello: will probably take 3 sessions. I have someone in mind for this and she's really good. But again, she's a very busy person, so it largely depends on her schedule.

tl;dr

Once I have the money (in September most likely) I will hire everyone else I need to. If I can find people to do it and they all can work immediately, I could finish recording probably by October or November and then move on to the hair-pulling process of mixing. If people are not like me and they actually have lives outside of this project, I suspect it wouldn't be until about February or so until recording is done.

Being able to actually estimate when recording will be done is huge though. A few months ago I had no idea. It could have lasted until December of 2016 for all I knew.

Rep:
Level 97
If you're asking when you'll be able to listen to the finished product, I can't say. My hope is spring 2016 but I'm not going to say anything official yet. Still too early.

I may be able to start putting together some early demos for donators though in the next couple of months.

Rep:
Level 97
Things are happening! (Ignore the part at the top with the bpm, key, and meter since they're all a lie)

Still missing a lot of stuff. The intro and outro are basically nothing at the moment as you may be able to tell but that will change soon.

Rep:
Level 96
Things are happening! (Ignore the part at the top with the bpm, key, and meter since they're all a lie)

I'm going to ignore all of it, because I don't understand any of this. :D
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Rep:
Level 97

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
*fingers screen*

Shoot, I can't read braille. ;9
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

Rep:
Level 102
Whoa, did you put all that together without setting the tempo or time signature?

Rep:
Level 97
I had a metronome click track that I used for reference but it's not in the picture.

There's too many meter and tempo changes to bother doing it in Logic.

Rep:
Level 102
That's pretty impressive still. I'd be kinda nervous ignoring the guides. ;9

I'm really looking forward to this

Rep:
Level 97
I don't know, it doesn't seem very hard to me. That's how I've always done my mixing though.

I guess I should explain the image a little to those of you non-musicians. What you're looking at is a very zoomed out view of all the tracks I have so far of the first song. Actually there are a few more bits not in that image, but anyway. I decided to go ahead and start doing as much preliminary mixing as I can to save time. And also because I hadn't heard everything all together yet.

It sounds awesome.

RMRK's Mom
Rep:
Level 88
So maybe it's time for another preview?  xD lol

Rep:
Level 97
There's some things I still need to do first, but yes that is coming. Probably the first week of August.

Rep:
Level 96
I'm sorry if this has already been asked, but what inspired the name?
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Rep:
Level 97
Oddly enough it was Resident Evil 4. When I found out del lago translates to from the lake, I thought that was a really evocative phrase and I wanted to use it for a piece of music. That didn't happen for like 6 years until I started this.

When this was still a rock opera, even though we didn't have a story yet I knew I wanted that to be the title because it brings about a lot of vivid images, to my mind at least. We worked around the lake being a centerpiece and that influenced the music which influenced the story which influenced the music etc.

Rep:
Level 97

Rep:
Level 96
oh my
I don't know if I'm prepared for this.
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Rep:
Level 96
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

RMRK's Mom
Rep:
Level 88
I'm reeaaaadddaaayyyy

Rep:
Level 97
Your body is not ready

RMRK's Mom
Rep:
Level 88
You just had to go there. ;9

Rep:
Level 97
I've sent out a demo of the Overture to donators, and tomorrow or possibly Wednesday I'll be posting a public demo of Dearly Beloved. Both of these demos are missing instruments and are early mixes, but I think it's time to start showing people a bit of what's been going on these past couple of years. That said, everything is sounding pretty good so far and even though there are still issues here and there, these tracks are still enjoyable to listen to. Or at least, that's the goal, anyway.

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
:wow:

I loved it~ ;o;
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

Rep:
Level 96
That was pretty cool. It got me hype for the finished music.
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

Rep:
Level 102
That was really good. Really, really, really good.

Rep:
Level 97

Rep:
Level 97
And here's the demo for Dearly Beloved:

Our musical story begins with the finding of the body of a well-liked girl in the town of Pinkerton on the lake shore. Also represented are the reaction of the town and her funeral.

I am specifically looking for feedback regarding bass levels. While working on this music everything sounded fine, so I bounced the project and gave a listen to make sure everything was okay before uploading. Somehow the bass range was suddenly super loud. I have no idea why it's doing this, but I think I've gotten things to an acceptable level for now. Maybe the problem is just on my end and there's some sort of bass boost setting somewhere that I'm not seeing, though I really doubt that's the case.

Rep:
Level 72
2014 Best Topic
I actually liked it, though, I am not the most capable music critic on these forums. I do think the bass was noticeable, but not overbearing. Some of the horns were a bit more noticeable at times that others (I assume some of that was done on purpose though to emphasize emotions throughout). I think with a little more work it'll be quite enjoyable, though of course that's not my vision/goal to really say anything about. Keep up the good work; I'm really looking forward to hearing more from you :)

Rep:
Level 97
If by horns you mean from the Overture I sent you, then horns sticking out more than they should may just be due to your particular headphones/speakers/pc sound setup. It's going to sound different for everybody and there will be no way to have a "perfect mix", so to speak. If you meant this track, then I think I know what you mean. And in this particular track I think I overcompensated on the bass and need to get it higher, but not as high as it was (that's the bass range, not the instrument).

The other track I sent you seems to have waaay too much bass. There's still a lot of balancing to do in both, but until I get all the instruments in it's difficult to get things where they should be. Thanks for the input!

Anyone else? ;9

Rep:
Level 102
I wonder if you're emphasizing the wrong EQs in the bass. My first reaction was that I wished the bass were louder since it's so important in this track, but now that you mention it, it does sound like the bass is loud, except it's maybe only a narrow, not so important portion of the bass.

I don't know though because I don't have a very good ear for mixing.

Also this was always my favorite from the midi/vst demos. It's really neat to hear it with real instruments. :)

Rep:
Level 97
I didn't do any EQing except to add a bass plugin-thingy. Maybe I need to use a different plugin-thingy. I don't know, it's weird man. Shit's weird. I'll get it figured out eventually.

Also I think the acoustic guitar kind of gets lost in the mix too, but I think that's because there are so many instruments already in that range and I've heard that's a common problem with acoustic guitar. Also it's not a real one, so maybe when I get a real performance it'll help it stand out a bit.

Rep:
Level 97
Also the weird thing is everything sounds good in logic until I bounce the project.

Rep:
Level 102
Huhh

Do your levels ever peak above 0db when you listen to it in Logic?

Rep:
Level 97
No, it's all pretty well below since I'm still missing instruments. I amplified the track after I bounced it so it wouldn't be so quiet.

It's only in this particular project, so I'm thinking that it must just be a bug or some weird setting I accidentally turned on. As for the actual sound of the bass, I think I found a better plugin, and I think once it gets time for EQing it'll help the sound of it. I also realized I have almost everything panned to the center right now, so there's bound to be weird stuff going on.

A-pow 2015
Rep:
Level 81
I like it. ;8

That's really all I can say. I don't know anything about music. .__.

Rep:
Level 97

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
Just caught this.  I expected something darker, but this is not only pleasant- it fits the mood. Rather, it conjures images that work with the intent. I'm listening on a crappy mono speaker so i cannot comment on bass levels yet; so far though, its very cool! Complex enough to be interesting, for sure. Good work, my friend!

Rep:
Level 97
Hey, I was literally just about to post here, what a coincidence.

Glad you liked it! As far as bass levels go, I think I've gotten things more or less sorted out for now. Listening on a mono speaker probably doesn't sound much different since right now almost everything is still panned to the center so it sounds mono anyway lol (working on panning stuff in the next couple of weeks). This one is kind of dark, but not quite as much as the story may suggest, yes. I did that for almost every track in order to keep from being too predictable. It all fits (hopefully), but isn't fully what you expect (hopefully).

As for my update: a few of you know already, but I've been talking to RMRK's own great arltree, the great arlen a.k.a. arlen reyb a.k.a. Moss a.k.a. Ryan "Goodbeard" Leber about doing acoustic guitar for me. It's not 100% official, but it's close enough that I feel comfortable posting here about it. So that's awesome. In addition, my violinist Andrew has offered to play the viola as well which is incredibly good news because finding a viola has proven impossible without hiring someone well beyond my price range. The not so good news is the cellist I had lined up had to pull out, so uh... if any of you happen to know someone who plays cello in my area.... for some reason.... ..... ... . .. .

Anyway, if arlen is able to send me some tracks soon, new demo? I think so. I'll post an update to Dearly Beloved too, with real acoustic guitar this time (which sounds much better - he sent me a snippet of that track already) and better mixing. ETA: Late September/early October.

Now in the meantime, off to find someone who plays French horn.

Rep:
Level 102
All hail the arltree!

:bean: :bean: :bean:

Blessed be his fruit!

Rep:
Level 97
Recording french horn this weekend! Also, this thread turned 2 years old almost a week ago. In honor of this "joyous" occasion, and because I have to at some point, I will now post the story.

Because this started out as a rock opera, much of the music written up to the point where it was decided to go all instrumental told a story in a musical sense. I decided to keep the story and to try and express it through the music and track titles, but of course there's only so much you can do with that and it leaves a rather large amount to the imagination. Deciphering what the story actually is would be impossible unless it were told to you, so here it is (written almost entirely by a friend of mine):

Spoiler for A presentiment:
Years and years ago, there was a man. We don’t know his name because he doesn’t have a name anymore. The Devil owns it. See, when you make a deal with Lucifer he not only takes claim to your soul, but also your name. So we call this man The Fat Man. The Fat Man was clever, quick and convincing. Before he met Lucifer, he could talk his way into — and out of — anything. He could convince a poor man to give him money, a hungry man to give him food. He could convince any woman to adore and any man to serve him. But he was hungry for more and more and more. He ate to his content and became extremely wealthy.

He decided one day that was not enough. He wanted more. He wanted power, eternally. Who has such power? The Devil. So, he conjured The Devil and said, “Let’s make a deal. You give me a plot of land in Hell to use as I please, and in exchange I’ll gather souls for you.” What he planned to do was use that land to get into Hell and convince its tenants to mutiny and overthrow Lucifer, naming the Fat Man king of the damned. Well, Lucifer is The Devil for several reasons, one of which is that he cannot be outwitted. So Lucifer agreed to the Fat Man’s deal and granted him a patch of land. That land is actually a tiny lake located in a tiny town on Earth called Pinkerton. This lake is special because it is basically Satan’s septic tank, where all the garbage, sludge and sewage of Hell flow. The Devil had the last laugh, and The Fat Man had a debt to pay. In order to gather souls, he had to make "deals" with people, all of which he kept because he knew if he didn't keep his word, then people would know better than to make any sort of deal with him. He gave them whatever they wanted, usually in an ironic manner, and in exchange all they had to do was drink some water from The Lake. Someone drinking from The Lake after coming to The Fat Man was the same as signing a contract - their soul now belonged to him. The catch was he could not kill that person. He had to wait to collect their soul after they died naturally or at the hands of someone other than him.

So The Fat Man took his land and did his job of making deals and gathering souls for years and years on end. Until one day, he met Persephone, the image purity — a beautiful, young thing. But the problem was her sister, Defiance, who raised her and kept her safe. While Defiance was an honest and kind woman, she hoarded greedy genes inside, festering in discontent, waiting for a break. The Fat Man could smell her greed and convinced her he could giver her endless power and money. And she agreed. He handed her a cup of water from The Lake and bade her drink. She drank it eagerly and that was that - until 6 days later when she was found dead, body floating in The Lake.

Spoiler for And so it begins:
Defiance had a lover. His name was Catastrophe. He found her face down in The Lake and was stricken with grief. He had heard rumors about what The Fat Man was capable of, just like everyone else in Pinkerton. He had always thought they were just urban legends, but he was desperate. He went to The Fat Man to ask him if he could bring Defiance back to him. This was something no one had ever asked The Fat Man before. Of course, he knew he was capable - with some help from Lucifer - but this would mean giving up a valuable soul. He decided to revive her but to leave out her soul, thus bringing back a woman who was only a shell of her former self. So he gave Catastrophe a sip of water from The Lake, and it cost Catastrophe his soul as well as his name.

After being reunited, Persephone knew immediately that something was wrong with Defiance (aside from the fact that she was previously dead and buried). Deep down, Catastrophe knew as well but remained willfully in denial, just happy to have his love returned. This wasn't something he could keep up long, however. See, Defiance's body returned, but it brought something else within it, something evil. Persephone pleaded with Catastrophe to do something about Defiance, to try and make him understand that this thing wasn't really the woman he had loved. Eventually, he knew what he must do.

Catastrophe confronted The Fat Man, and, in their fight, suffered a mortal wound and then died. The Fat Man panicked, as he knew that he was forbidden to kill anyone who had made a deal with him, but regained his composure, knowing he could work his way out of this, just like anything else. He knew of Persephone, though, that she was the only one who knew where Catastrophe had been when he ultimately died, and he knew that he needed her soul as it was stronger and more pure than anyone else's in the town.

So The Fat Man went after Persephone. But what he didn’t know is true love is a seven-headed beast. When Defiance met Catastrophe at the gates of Hell, his sacrifice for love woke The Angel who burst from heaven’s mist. He reigned down fiery death, destroying the corrupt town of Pinkerton. The Fat Man turned to ash and burned eternally. Defiance and Catastrophe became one in eternity, leaving sweet Persephone to dance on the ashes of The Fat Man’s greedy gluttony.

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
THE LAKE IS A LIE

THE LAKE IS A LIE

THE LAKE IS A LIE

DON'T DRINK IT, YOU'LL DIE
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

RMRK's Mom
Rep:
Level 88
Wow this album suddenly seems way more sinister xD 

I still love what I've heard ^_^

Rep:
Level 97
Fun fact: the title was originally From The Cake and it was inspired by Portal. lol memes!

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
:bruh:

that is SO cool!! what a coincidence!!! ROFL
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

Rep:
Level 96
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Rep:
Level 97
I've been talking to a few of you the past few days about this, so I figured it was time for another update.

Recorded French horn last weekend and finished on Monday. It turned out really well, but recording in a bedroom is even less ideal for this instrument than others due to they way sound travels. There's some spots I'm still having trouble getting it to blend in with everything else and not sounds so low budget, but for the most part I've managed to make it sound pretty good, I think.

Arlen has recorded a few tracks already and is hoping to have everything done by the end of the month. I plan on recording (and hopefully finishing) trombone late this month after Christmas, but we'll see. Other than that, there won't be much time for recording until January. I also have a couple of leads on potential cellists, so fingers crossed that something there works out. 99% likely I need a new electric guitarist; will probably ask arlen.

Debating on whether or not to hire someone to do trumpet, or to just use a virtual instrument. When I set out to do this, I wanted real instruments for everything, except piano and stuff like pipe organ which just isn't feasible to do. But then it became apparent that due to the area I live in, finding musicians for certain instruments would be incredibly difficult and/or well out of my price range, and thus not worth pursuing. While it would be awesome to actually have someone play the bassoon, for example, the time and cost is not worth it when you consider the bassoon part does not have much solo material, and therefore will not stick out too much as being fake by making it a virtual instrument. So stuff like that I'm fine with not having a real performer. But then there's stuff like the oboe, which does stand out even if it isn't solo material, but finding someone to perform that is highly unrealistic for me, so once again virtual instrument. With a trumpet, however, I could easily find someone to do it but much like the bassoon there's not much standout material for it and may not be worth the time. I'll be considering it. For now, the synthetic instruments I'm using (meaning it's just an audio file of my computer playing the part back) are oboe, english horn, clarinet, bassoon. Still debating clarinet as well, but that's mostly due to money.

Things I have left to record: finishing up trombone (about 50% remaining), viola, cello, tuba, finishing up violin (less than 10% left to do), alto flute. Gonna have to rent an alto flute, so not sure when that'll happen. That may seem like a lot left, and it is since that's easily more than 20 hours of sessions, but for me that's like nothing.

Soon I will be asking a friend of mine to start on art for the art book. That's a little bit lower priority than getting all the recording done, but depending on how much that will cost, I could go ahead and get it out of the way.

I did some pricing on printing up scorebooks (though I sincerely doubt any of you here are interested in that). Way more expensive than I was expecting, but that's due to there being so many pages. Maybe I can format the score in a way to lower that some. It might be something that will have to wait until after the project is finished, unfortunately.

Once arlen sends in his tracks, I'll be releasing another public demo, and this time it will actually be mixed decently! Maybe it'll be something you haven't heard yet, not sure.

If everything goes accordingly, a May release is very likely, possibly April.

RMRK's Mom
Rep:
Level 88
Sounds like things are moving along for now. I look forward to hearing another demo. ^_^

A-pow 2015
Rep:
Level 81
Have you thought about taking out a personal loan? I don't know the specifics of your financial situation so it might not be a good option, but it could be a possible way to get that last bit of funding.

Rep:
Level 97
Nah, I have enough money to hire all the musicians I need right now and then some to cover most of what's left. I really just need to find a job because then everything could be paid for pretty easily, but so far no luck ;9

Rep:
Level 102
With a trumpet, however, I could easily find someone to do it but much like the bassoon there's not much standout material for it and may not be worth the time. I'll be considering it
Would it really take more time to record a real trumpet than to get a virtual one to sound good? I assumed cost was the main obstacle for real instruments but that it took less time overall, assuming the performer is competent.

Rep:
Level 79
Hello
I did some pricing on printing up scorebooks (though I sincerely doubt any of you here are interested in that).

Rep:
Level 97
With a trumpet, however, I could easily find someone to do it but much like the bassoon there's not much standout material for it and may not be worth the time. I'll be considering it
Would it really take more time to record a real trumpet than to get a virtual one to sound good? I assumed cost was the main obstacle for real instruments but that it took less time overall, assuming the performer is competent.

Yeah, recording takes longer than you'd think, even with a great musician. Shortest time to finish an instrument so far has been 8 hours @_@

I did some pricing on printing up scorebooks (though I sincerely doubt any of you here are interested in that).

o i thought you were dead my bad

and don't call me princess :mad: (tee hee)

Rep:
Level 97
Tomorrow, or well, today actually after I go to bed and then wake up, is an important day. I'm gonna ask arlen to do electric guitar, I'm going to call someone about the last lead I have for a cellist before resorting to buying solo string samples (which oddly will cost more than hiring a cellist), and I'm going to talk to my friend to commission that artwork I talked about forever ago during the donations time. I haven't forgotten about you, donators!

Plus I'm scheduling some recording sessions with already committed musicians. They want to finish what they have left by the end of February, which is good because that lines up with my timeline goals. Oh, and I'll be renting an alto flute, which kinda sucks because we have access to a free one in a different city, but nowhere to record there, but whatever.

Since pacman cares, I'll just mention getting the scorebook ready is interesting. Fun, yet tedious. Frustrating, yet relaxing. I'm trying to get everything to fit onto 8.5"x12" instead of 11"x17" (I don't know what that is in rest-of-the-world measurements) because I hate 11x17 and this is just meant as a study score little nifty item and that would just be too unwieldy. The problem is getting pages like this to fit on a page without clashing with each other and still be large enough to be readable:

Spoiler for big image:

I think how I have it should work. My test printing was fine, but I'm not sure if that's how it'll work when sent to the printer. Though, they indicate that whatever I send will actually end up looking slightly larger, so then I have to hope that nothing runs off the page :mad: I'll have to talk with them some more.

Also! I found an old tracklist I had ready, which is kinda neat. This was from back when I was planning From The Lake as a rock opera and our story was even more rudimentary than it is currently. I started writing a little before we had a story, and then kept writing as we developed it, coming up with themes and ideas for characters and stuff. But I never titled anything because I didn't know if we'd use it or where it would go in the story or often even what the story was, so for a long time all of the music was referred to by a number.

That obviously got annoying and confusing really fast so I started naming them things based off what we had, or where I imagined the story may go, or just completely random:

1. Pinkerton Overture: A Presentiment
2. Dearly Beloved
3. Just Like Yesterday
4. Catastrophe's Lament
5. Cascades
6. Where There's Tigers
7. Lovely Seconds
8. Across the Lake
9. Subversion
10. A Moment of Silence
11. I've Missed You
12. From The Heavens To The Lake

Obviously, a few of those titles stuck. "Cascades" became "As the Cacophony Grows". "Subversion" became "The Fat Man's Dance, 'Subversion'". "From the Heavens to the Lake" simply became "Finale and Reprise". "Where There's Tigers" became the title for something completely different. That's 6 tracks I ended up not using, for various reasons, though I know you're going to end up hearing at least some of them in some form in the future...

#howexciting

Rep:
Level 79
Hello

Rep:
Level 96
#howexciting
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

RMRK's Mom
Rep:
Level 88

Rep:
Level 97
Spoiler for big image:

brb stealing your ideas

:ono:

how could I forget to put a copyright on every page :sadmoonfacefromthatthreadss:

Spoiler for:
lol just noticed E# in trumpet part

Rep:
Level 102
I don't have anything to say but I want you to know that I read your post and I liked it

Good luck!

Rep:
Level 97
arlen: hasn't responded yet tentatively doing electric guitar
cellist: couldn't talk, calling tomorrow
other musicians: scheduled (starting on the 17th)
artwork: artist hired
alto flute: dumb and forgot stores close at 5, calling tomorrow
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 01:44:26 AM by haloOfTheSun »

Rep:
Level 97
Most excited about alto flute. Alto flutes are coooooool man. 8)

Rep:
Level 97
Won't be renting an alto flute :sadmoonfacefromthatthread:

The only places we can find to rent one has a 3 month minimum to rent, with $60 per month, shipping costs, $250+ deposit, and other fees. Waaay too much money for something that, while cooooooool, is of little significance and only appears in a very small amount of the music. Dang.

Scorebooks are probably going to have to wait until later in the year, after I've already released the music and everything. The whole thing is over 360 pages (!) and the minimum cost for that I can find, while still being a quality that is actually worth the effort, is at least $400. That's actually not much more expensive than I thought it would be, but we've got some unexpected expenses that have come up, like the car needs new tires and stuff like that. So, you know, be a responsible adult or get some books printed of interest to only few people when I could just do it later. Hm...

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
:sadmoonfacefromthatthreads:

It's OK, everything still sounds cooooooool. B)
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

Rep:
Level 97
I might have spoke/posted too soon, I have an idea to possibly get my hands on one, so we'll see. Also got some potential other good news today, but I'm not gonna say anything until I'm a bit more sure. Fingers crossed, this is huge!

Rep:
Level 102
I have an idea to possibly get my hands on one, so we'll see

Rep:
Level 97
DO NOT PAY ATTENTION TO THAT POST

IN FACT DON'T READ IT

EVERYONE IGNORE THE IROCK

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
IGNORING THE IROCK NOW

LA LA LA I CAN'T HEAR YOU, I CAN'T HEAR YOU

(uh oh...but I can see your posts ._.)
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

Rep:
Level 97
DON'T PLUG YOUR EARS PLUG YOUR EYES

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
HELP I CAN'T SEE NOW
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

Rep:
Level 97
Dang, I didn't realize it had already been so long since I posted.

Good news: From The Lake is nearing completion! Recording is about 95% done.

Bad news: Recording won't be finished until at least May, possibly as late as July :(

Good news: That's not so bad though when you consider this has been going on for years

I was hoping that I would be posting here to announce a release date of next month, so that's how off-track things have gotten. But it can't be avoided and that's just the nature of working with lots of people. To make up for it, I'll be posting another demo soon, both as compensation and as a means to show that the sound quality (hopefully) isn't as garbage as that Dearly Beloved demo I posted back in August. Right now I'm waiting on arlen's tracks which he's supposed to send to me this week, so keep a look out for that.

There are other potential good and bad developments, but everything is kind of up in the air right now and I don't want to speak too soon. But the main thing to take away here is that the finished result is coming. Summer 2016

A-pow 2015
Rep:
Level 81

RMRK's Mom
Rep:
Level 88
What she said o.o

Rep:
Level 96
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

ALSO YAY!!!! ^_^
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

Rep:
Level 96
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Rep:
Level 97
Receiving the arlen tracks now, they are great and he is great. I'm trying to figure out now how to fit guitars into an already full mix, so once I do that adequately enough I'll post another sneak peek to get your boners going (hopefully). I want to have it posted before Friday, but I'm not sure I'll be able to manage. I'm going to have my son from Friday until the 10th, so if I don't get it done before he gets here, it probably won't show up until mid April.

RMRK's Mom
Rep:
Level 88

Rep:
Level 97
Lots of technical difficulties :mad:

This should suffice for now, though. Also what the heck, Soundcloud really downgrades sound quality by a fairly significant amount. Never noticed before, somehow.

Alternate dropbox link for higher quality
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 09:49:02 PM by haloOfTheSun »

RMRK's Mom
Rep:
Level 88

Rep:
Level 102
That track is really growing on me. I'm looking forward to this album so much

Rep:
Level 97
Thanks, that means a lot. I'm working hard to make this as good as possiblé

Rep:
Level 97
As with everything, there was a delay with the art before. I would estimate that it will be done after the project is released, but still too soon to tell. He did start sketching out some ideas today, though. I'm not going to be sharing art like I have with music here, but I did want to share the rough pen drawing he did of the Fat Man:

We decided to go in a weird direction.  :gracie:

Rep:
Level 72
2014 Best Topic

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
whoa that man is  S C A R Y
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

A man chooses,
Rep:
Level 92
a slave obeys
Project of the Month winner for April 2008
That direction sure is looking eye catching. That Rough sketch looks good. Kinda interest on what the end product might look like for sure.

Rep:
Level 88
Illuminaudio
Also what the heck, Soundcloud really downgrades sound quality by a fairly significant amount. Never noticed before, somehow.

I know I'm a bit late on this (not just this specific post, but the project as a whole), but:

• Soundcloud transcodes audio to 128kbps for streaming purposes. The loss in quality can be mitigated by uploading at 320kbps, preferably dithered/noise-shaped twice with complementary encoding, or by uploading a lossless format and just waiting it out when your upload time nearly doubles. The rest depends on your mix/master--a few questions to consider:
    -how are you controlling your dynamics (both on individual tracks and the 2bus)?
    -have you left adequate headroom?
    -how are your levels - what kinds of meters have you been using to monitor them?
    -how is your imaging: is it spatially or spectrally congested?
    There are also things to consider during tracking to improve your recording quality: AD/DA conversion if applicable, gain staging, mic technique, phase alignment, room mode, even the quality of your cables, among other things...
  • If you need any mix engineering, mastering, or additional production, let me know; [assuming you're not working on tape] I'd be happy to offer my services. I do this shit professionally now (and I'm usually not cheap, but you're cool and this project is awesome, so we'll call it pro bono :D)

« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 08:28:53 PM by Dertt »

Rep:
Level 97
Any help would be beyond appreciated! I'll send you a PM tomorrow so I don't have to spend 3 hours typing a message on a freaking Wii U

Rep:
Level 88
Illuminaudio
3 hours typing a message on a freaking Wii U
That's such a unique way to suffer for your art though  :V

Rep:
Level 97
:V

Also, since I'm here anyway, for the sake of everyone else I'll let you guys know that the last recording session is the first weekend of August. After that, it's just a matter of getting everything sounding as good as possible and then into your ears. The art may be delayed a bit, but other than that everything is just about done and ready to go.

My goal is to have this complete and ready for you by the end of August, but as usual, that's just a personal goal and it might not happen. But stay tuned because we're finally in the home stretch!

Rep:
Level 88
Illuminaudio
After that, it's just a matter of getting everything sounding as good as possible and then into your ears.
...and then the whole team watches the award nominations come pouring in  ;8

Rep:
Level 102
Also what the heck, Soundcloud really downgrades sound quality by a fairly significant amount. Never noticed before, somehow.

I know I'm a bit late on this (not just this specific post, but the project as a whole), but:

• Soundcloud transcodes audio to 128kbps for streaming purposes. The loss in quality can be mitigated by uploading at 320kbps, preferably dithered/noise-shaped twice with complementary encoding, or by uploading a lossless format and just waiting it out when your upload time nearly doubles. The rest depends on your mix/master--a few questions to consider:
    -how are you controlling your dynamics (both on individual tracks and the 2bus)?
    -have you left adequate headroom?
    -how are your levels - what kinds of meters have you been using to monitor them?
    -how is your imaging: is it spatially or spectrally congested?
    There are also things to consider during tracking to improve your recording quality: AD/DA conversion if applicable, gain staging, mic technique, phase alignment, room mode, even the quality of your cables, among other things...
  • If you need any mix engineering, mastering, or additional production, let me know; [assuming you're not working on tape] I'd be happy to offer my services. I do this shit professionally now (and I'm usually not cheap, but you're cool and this project is awesome, so we'll call it pro bono :D)
whoa!

Rep:
Level 97

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Halo ;-; ware u been
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

Rep:
Level 88
Illuminaudio

Rep:
Level 97
I'M SORRY

or

YOU'RE WELCOME

Rep:
Level 97
I believe the last possible release window I had been tossing around was "summer", but that ends in 2 days and you guys know the drill by now - anytime I announce any sort of date for anything it never happens by then. This is what game developers must feel like.

I could actually have From The Lake released by my summer deadline because all recording has been completed but that's not going to happen, because as some of you know and as the rest may have gleaned from the posts above, Dertt is awesome and is doing the mixing and mastering for me! This means it will take a little longer, but it will be worth the wait. What they've sent me so far has sounded amazing and is so much better than what I would have been capable of doing. You shouldn't (hopefully) have to wait much longer, though. I'm not going to give any estimates out because we all know how that goes, so I'll just say a release is right around the corner.

So from this point, everything is mostly in Dertt's hands. (uh... no pressure)  :tinysmile:

Rep:
Level 96
Thank you for an update have a nice day.
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Good luck, team Halo! ;o;
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

RMRK's Mom
Rep:
Level 88

Rep:
Level 97
Well it's finally time. From The Lake will release on Tuesday, Nov. 22! Those of you that are donors should receive your advance copy in a couple of hours or so - it's uploading now.

Rep:
Level 96
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!! ^_^ Congrats on finishing this - I'm looking forward to listening to it!
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

Rep:
Level 97
And here we are. If you're interested, please go get yourself a copy at https://bobbyricheson.bandcamp.com/album/from-the-lake

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!

I'm listening to it right now! B) These songs are helping my creativity for homework projects~
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

Rep:
Level 88
Illuminaudio