RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Modern Day/Futuristic Game's Weapons

RMRK's dad-in-training
Rep:
Level 72
Busy Husband, Dad, and Youth Minister
GIAW 14: 2nd Place (Easy Mode)2014 Best WriterBronze - GIAW 11 (Normal)Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.2012 Best NewbieContestant - GIAW 9
If you were making a game for the modern day or scifi genre, what would you make the weapons?

Traditional rpg's have swords, bows, maces, staffs, and the like, but what about would a game based in these two categories have?

I know two off the top of my head:

1. Guns
2. Laser Guns

What would you think? Be creative.

Rep:
Level 85
I solve practical problems.
For taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
Of course theres Combat weapons, So like some comabt close quarters knives, stun batons, maybe even laser swords and stuff (altough thats kinda unsafe)

don't forget explosive type weapons, various grenade types etcetc

A-pow 2015
Rep:
Level 81
2014 Best RPG Maker User - GraphicsFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2013 Most Unsung MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.How can I help you? :Da^2 + b^2 = c^2Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 9Bronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
Ten foot laser pole. :yuyu:

but seriously, depending on the atmosphere you want to set, you could either stick to mostly guns/phaser-type things, or just go ahead and throw the swords in. Of course, the ability to pull off an anachronistic weapon would rely on how magical or different the world can be noticeably seen as. The buster sword is a-okay within the confines of Final Fantasy, but not at all in something like Halo. If your game has a setting grounded in reality, so should your weapons. If magic makes the world go round, you could cut a bloody swathe with an umbrella if you wanted to. It's all about context and making everything fit with each other.

Rep:
Level 56
RMRK Junior
My project has a lot of weapons (each with their own play style) and many come from different time periods (the world of the game has worlds with different levels of advancement coexisting).

As such, you'll find swords and bows along side modern weapons like grenades, RPGs, missile launchers, ect. as well as a few futuristic weapons like laser guns and laser blades.

It works out in my game because each weapon differentiates in how it is used. So you really can bring a knife to laser gun fight and still have an advantage if you're just that good with a knife.

As for realism...eh. I know realistically you'd never go into a fight against a guy with an assault rifle/grenade launcher combo (they exist in real life as a prototype, so I put one in my game) with a long sword, but, then again, the fact that characters can withstand being burned, shot, and electrocuted without much trouble, then I think realism is out of the window.

That being said, the weapons on the enemies you encounter will generally stick to their location. Of course, I guess in my case, nothing in the world of my game is an anachronism.

Here's a list of the futuristic weaponry in my game, if you want some inspiration/ideas:
-Plasma Pistol - A pistol that fires a hot beam of high-energy ionized gas, mainly used to burn. Is a bit more effective on mechanical foes due to electromagnetic pulse. They have a slight degree of armor-bypass, as the beam melts its way through.

-Phaser Pistol - A pistol that emits a destructive radiation pulse. The pule burns
through biological and mechanical foes alike, but is a bit more effective
against biological targets due to radiation. Unlike plasma weapon-
ry, however, the phaser cannot be focused into a blade, and rapid bombardment
of radiation pulses is not safe enough to be recommended, which is why a large
rapid-fire weapon (like the Plasma Cannon) was never developed beyond a test model for this particular type of weapon. Phasers completely ignore the armor rating of the target.

-Plasma/Phaser rifle - A more powerful, more accurate version of the above weapons,
and with better aim, but must be held with two hands.

-Plasma Cannon - Delivers repeated pulses of high-energy ionized gas, bombarding
targets in a wide range, or dealing massive damage to larger targets.

-Plasma Blade - A blade consisting of high-energy ionized gas. Superheats the target,
causing burns as well as slashing damage. It deals more direct damage than any
metal blade, and it ignores a portion of the target's armor. However, as the heat
of the blade immediately cauterizes any wounds made, no the foe will not be
left bleeding out HP as it is with standard blades. If a target attempts to parry a
strike from a plasma blade, the weapon will simply burn right through their block,
unless the opponent's weapons or shield are made of the heat-resistant "living metal".

Biosteel - Biosteel comprises many traditional weapons, ensuring that melee combat
still exists in the days of plasma and photon weaponry. Biosteel is an artificially created lifeform. The living Biosteel cells continue to divide and multiply until they
are subjected to an electrical shock. The shock kills the living biosteel and causes
the viscous-form of the entity to immediately harden and become almost indestructible. By placing living biosteel in any number of molds, biosteel can be put to any purposes that traditional metal is used for.

-EMP - Electromagnetic pulse weapons (such as grenades) disable or outright
          destroy machines.
-Cyber Armor - A battle suit powered by battery that enhances the user's attributes,
and reduces the cost of their physical actions. Directed-energy weapons can be
wired into the suit to run off the suit's power when their own power cells have been
depleted.

-Electric Interface Implant - An, as of yet, unstable implant that allows the user
to affect some degree of change on the world around them with just their thoughts. Still in the experimental stages, little effect is seen when the average person uses it. But it has been said those infected with the Palingenesia virus are capable of using the implant as a proper interface with the world at a kinetic and even atomic level.

-Freezeray - This one is barely futuristic. I haven't decided it if it could exist on Earth's more Victorian-era level of technology or not. My current design is more futuristic. The name kind of says it all. It alternatively freezes targets while delivering ice damage, or it bombards them with super-cooled water for a heavily-damaging physical assault.

-Hacking and Interface tools - these really aren't "weapons" in the traditional sense, but any computer, or personal-use tablet can be used as an implement to hack
machines, computers, or electronic weapon systems for various effects. This system will replace the wrench (used to upgrade or sabotage simple machines), and
the punched cards/morse code cables used to reprogram more advanced machines equipped with analytical engines.

-Chemical and Biological Agents - the preferred method for killing things today. Why use messy explosives if all you want is the other person's stuff? After all, explosions destroy their stuff, too! And you want that stuff. Chemical and biological agents are guaranteed to clear a room/city/country/small enclave of dissenters within minutes, and all without a single loss of valuable property. There are host of biological and chemical weapons with various uses and delivery systems, and there's bound to be one that fits your specific needs.

Mini-Nuke - Though the atomic age is long past, the most destructive weapon by far is still the nuclear bomb. The weapon has been miniaturized, but is still dangerous.
Failure to aim properly will result in possibly even yourself getting a full dose of
the blast. Mini-Nukes deal massive damage, but the battlefield will be flooded with
radiation for generations to come.

There are also a few weapons exclusive to the mechas in the game: The Schwable (a kind of phaser submachine gun), the stinger (a small dagger-like plasma blade that can be
installed on mechas that don't have arms, and hidden away as a secret, unexpected threat), and the pole sword (a massive metal sword on usable by mechas with
arms to hold it).

That's really the gist of the futuristic stuff in the game. A lot of the weapons listed here aren't called by those names in-game, but by company/model names. A lot of it is stock-standard sci-fi stuff. I got to be a bit more creative with the Victorian weaponry, but I have an intended reason as to why the futuristic environment
uses a lot of stock sci-fi stuff.

EDIT: OH! And, though these weapons listed are the stand-out futuristic stuff, it should be noted that traditional firearms, grenades, and tried-and-tested military weapons are still in use, more often than not. In space combat, beam weapons are more preferable because they dissipate with time and distance, whereas traditional bullets keep going until they hit something, a liability which increases the risk of friendly-fire.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 09:18:52 PM by dudeguy119 »

I support:

RMRK's dad-in-training
Rep:
Level 72
Busy Husband, Dad, and Youth Minister
GIAW 14: 2nd Place (Easy Mode)2014 Best WriterBronze - GIAW 11 (Normal)Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.2012 Best NewbieContestant - GIAW 9
@dudeguy - love the computer idea. Wonder how that could affect enemy/party stats and the like? I'm def gonna give that thought.

@acolyte - I suppose I would lean towards "somewhat" believable. Good thoughts though

@iamforte - knives. Laser knives? Hmm.

Rep:
Level 82
If your game is based on a setting which mimics our modern society (which usually bases itself on the real world), then believable and realistic is going to be things which are either in use now or could potentially exist based on what we know now.

If your game is based on a sci-fi setting, or a setting in which its a fictional world, then really it comes down to what you explain is realistic and believable. In a fictional setting, you aren't constrained to the usual "Well, we don't have laser phaser guns now so they can never exist". You can make up the physics of the world, the realities that exist there. It doesn't have to mimic our own understanding, unless you are basing them on our real world knowledge.

In the case of fictional world, you have only your imagination (and that of others) as the limiting factor. Don't be restricted to real rules, come up with some ideas and develop rules from that for your world, then you can think about restrictions and constraints. It's the set of rules that a world has that creates believability, not whether it makes sense to our real world physics. You don't even necessarily have to invent a whole set of sci-fi bs to feed to the player either. Just inform them, via game related story, things the player gets to see, character knowledge and such, that these things exist in this particular world and as long as it remains consistent and logical to our knowledge of said world, we will believe it and accept it. This we call "a suspension of disbelief".

It's when you don't do things consistently that disbelief is born and people start to question what it is your telling them.
(Why do I always feel like it's the end of the world and I'm the last man standing?)