RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Secret of ageing found: Japanese scientists pave way to everlasting life

You zetta sons of digits.
Rep:
Level 91
SMEEEEE HEEEEEE
A lot of these replies seem the same, if this is real and can be controlled, it will be responsible for your cells/organs/body repairing itself.

So your organs would also be helped by this meaning it would probably help increase these too.

But all this is purely speculation, it could only keep your body alive but your organs may still die, or it could keep everything running.

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
I hope its not real.

Sperm Donor Extraordinaire
Rep:
Level 77
Bronze - GIAW 9
I hope its not real.

If it is real, just don't undergo the procedure or whatever it is they do to you if you don't want it.
I am out of fucks to give.  In fact, I think you owe ME some fucks.  I have insufficient fucks in the fucking account.

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
I hope its not real because nobody should do it.

Rep:
Level 77
Bronze - GIAW 9
I hope its not real because nobody should do it.

Why not?  Why should we agree?  I'm just playing devils advocate here cuz I totally want to know all of your thoughts on it outside of a one line statement of how YOU feel people shouldn't do it.

Under a realistic circumstance where only a handful of people would be able to afford this, what are the reasons for why people shouldn't do it?
I am out of fucks to give.  In fact, I think you owe ME some fucks.  I have insufficient fucks in the fucking account.

Rep:
Level 94
Because we already live longer than we're supposed to. There are already too many people in the world, and we're nearly too much of a danger to ourselves as it is. With longer lives, and longer youth, we would only become more overconfident. If it were a thing where only certain people could afford it, I can assure you that most of them would be people that should have shorter lives rather than longer ones.

Rep:
Level 77
Bronze - GIAW 9
Well i definitely cannot disagree with that. 

moew
Rep:
Level 91
Queen Princess
2013 Most Missed Member2012 Most Missed Member;o hee hee <3For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki
also, overcrowding. too many people.

People need to stop making babies and learn to adopt!
:taco: :taco: :taco:

Rep:
Level 57
Miiiiaf =^+^=
GIAW 14: ParticipantParticipant - GIAW 11
also, overcrowding. too many people.

People need to stop making babies and learn to adopt!
Or perhaps learn what anticonception is?

As blonde as can be!!!
Doesn't mean I'm the dumb one...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Spoiler for supporting!:

Rep:
Level 57
RMRK Junior
almost completely blocking cells’ ageing process.
Stoping cells aging doesn't mean that your brain is going to function, there is a differrence beteween a cell and neuron.
The brain will still die.

Rep:
Level 57
Miiiiaf =^+^=
GIAW 14: ParticipantParticipant - GIAW 11
almost completely blocking cells’ ageing process.
Stoping cells aging doesn't mean that your brain is going to function, there is a differrence beteween a cell and neuron.
The brain will still die.
Quote from Wikipedia: "A neuron is an electrically excitable cell that processes and transmits information by electrical and chemical signalling."

Well, that means that a neuron is a cell, which means that it too has to be regenerated through time and it too can get unregulated cell growth, more commonly known as cancer.

And that being said, I can say: No, the brain won't die as those cells, called neurons, will stop ageing as well...

As blonde as can be!!!
Doesn't mean I'm the dumb one...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Spoiler for supporting!:

Meet me in the middle
Rep:
Level 89
or left of the dial.
For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam botsSecret Santa 2012 Participant
amycha maybe you should read the rest of that neuron wiki page instead of just the first fucking sentence before talking like you know shit

like seriously, that post was painful to read

Rep:
Level 94
This won't ever happen anyway. Some Christians will make up a reason why its evil, and that'll be it. Shit, we can't even get the metric system in the us because of Christian lobbyists.

my name is Timothy what's yours
Rep:
Level 79
Hello
2014 Best IRC Quote2014 Zero to Hero2014 Most Missed Member2012 Zero To HeroSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantContestant - GIAW 9For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Zero to Hero
How in the hell is that phrased as though its a morality problem?!  lmao  I literally mean it as I don't see it as a solution to everlasting life XD
I would personally consider it possibly but I can't see it being a permanent solution for everlasting life.
I can't see it being a permanent solution for everlasting life.
permanent solution for everlasting life.
solution
In my experience, something has to be either a problem or a solute dissolved in a solvent (and I really don't think you were referring to that). So to me, it sounded like you think mortality is a problem.

This whole idea is rather pointless, and if anything would only do badly for humanity. It just seems like something that we'd be better off without and only stupid people would value, much like the majority of Lethrface's posts. Seriously. Stop saying opinions you don't have.
I would personally consider it
Blah blah literate educated response blah blah sensible person talk basically telling you not to do that thing you said you might want to
Well i definitely cannot disagree with that.

???
it's like a metaphor or something i don't know

Rep:
Level 77
Bronze - GIAW 9
Pacman...just no.

This is what I was trying to say without having to go into detail: I would consider it if the option was available.  I cannot disagree with holk's stance simply because it makes sense but it wouldn't stop me from considering it.  The part I agreed the most with was if it was available to only those who could afford it, they would probably be people who shouldn't do it.  I would probably not do it simply because I would rather not live longer than the ones I love who choose not to do it if I can help it.  Also, the statement I made goes in hand with the idea that you may stop aging but you cannot stop your body from breaking down and organs from dying off, such as a previous post about being unable to keep the brain from dying.

So yeah.  There is the verbose version so you can understand what I was saying.

A-pow 2015
Rep:
Level 81
2014 Best RPG Maker User - GraphicsFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2013 Most Unsung MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.How can I help you? :Da^2 + b^2 = c^2Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 9Bronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII

Also, the statement I made goes in hand with the idea that you may stop aging but you cannot stop your body from breaking down and organs from dying off, such as a previous post about being unable to keep the brain from dying.

"Aging" is the process of tissues breaking down and dying off. One could assume that if you could stop aging, you would stop the organs from wearing out as well.

Rep:
Level 96
2011 Most Missed Member2010 Zero To Hero
Firerain made a point of the first thought to cross my mind. The world is a limited resources environment. We are already overcrowded on this planet and the problem is getting worse, not better.

Consider this:
Young people who want to start families generally have babies at an earlier age. When those babies become adults and move out, the parents are generally left with a hollow spot in their lives that those children used to fill. Even before the first children reach maturity, parents will often have second and third children, if not greatly beyond. This generally peters off as the parents get older however, because they do not have the energy or health to keep up with young children anymore- also, because childbirth raises serious health complications for older people. Even if that isn't deterrent enough, there's menopause.

Now, supposedly, this discovery would prevent aging (some day, with a lot of work). That would remove all of the fail safes. Unlimited babies forever. You think the problem with population growth is bad now, we'll reproduce like spores without aging to keep us in check. You'll see a global food crisis. For starters.

Another excellent point that Holkeye made was that, if only certain people can get their hands on it, it will probably be all of the wrong people. This is absolutely true. Do you really want Bill O'Reilly to live forever? Truly?

Furthermore, there's a moral conflict. When these problems come to arise, who's to say what the "limit" is on extending one's lifespan? How many extra years is everyone allotted, and who gets to set that rule?

Does aging then become a curable illness? By withholding medication that could cure that illness, are you effectively an accessory to murder?

Now, all that on one hand, there is another side to this, and it's a positive one.

What if Gandhi could live forever, speaking to generations upon generations of human beings as a spiritual leader? Einstein? Feynman? Any one person who dedicates themselves to field of science could then use their mastery of that field to lead humanity on to unbelievable things. What could Albert have done one hundred years after positing the theory of relativity?

The main thing however is that age is a balance. Mankind has overcome many such balances (to varying degrees) with time- disease, environmental disaster, wild animals... It is in the nature of man to challenge that which challenges himself and, through the use of his intellect, defeat it, becoming stronger for having done so. Age is on the hit list! Extending his life span is written into his basest programming. A fox does not tease a bear. A horse will move on to greener pastures. Humanity makes these same decisions on a completely different scale. This is something that is going to happen, be it very soon or in the distant future.

The important thing is that we start setting down guidelines now, so that we can do it with some semblance of control. If we start trying to apply laws to this kind of science after it is discovered, then there is going to be some serious hell to pay.

Rep:
Level 57
RMRK Junior
You'll see a global food crisis.
There is already a food crisis in the world, you may just live in a country which isn't part of the world can't afford food.

Consider this:
Young people who want to start families generally have babies at an earlier age. When those babies become adults and move out, the parents are generally left with a hollow spot in their lives that those children used to fill. Even before the first children reach maturity, parents will often have second and third children, if not greatly beyond. This generally peters off as the parents get older however, because they do not have the energy or health to keep up with young children anymore- also, because childbirth raises serious health complications for older people. Even if that isn't deterrent enough, there's menopause.
Look at the newspaper, the statistic show the contrary, people tend to have babies when they're between 30 and 40 and even beyand that age because they can live much longer and they want to focus their carreer. That's what is happening with any devellpoped country. Poor countries, tend to make more babies because they easely die, the birth rate is highest..

This won't ever happen anyway. Some Christians will make up a reason why its evil, and that'll be it. Shit, we can't even get the metric system in the us because of Christian lobbyists.
I hope you're trolling because religion stopped to countrol most of the world gouvenments some decade ago.

Another excellent point that Holkeye made was that, if only certain people can get their hands on it, it will probably be all of the wrong people. This is absolutely true. Do you really want Bill O'Reilly to live forever? Truly?
Usually things tend to make public, it took more time but things still make to public. Look at flate screen TV, who really here had one 10 years ago ? When it came out ? Still if they keep it it for the rich that really won't matter, they're already a lot things in the world that rich people can afford and us not.

Does aging then become a curable illness? By withholding medication that could cure that illness, are you effectively an accessory to murder?
Look if you like the idea to lose little by little the control of your body because you're getting older that's your choice man. I think most of people will want to stay healthy and young. That's where making babaies really won't matter since you can enjoy life much longer.

Furthermore, there's a moral conflict. When these problems come to arise, who's to say what the "limit" is on extending one's lifespan? How many extra years is everyone allotted, and who gets to set that rule?
I don't think that's something you can control, life span, it will depend much of your lifestyle just like now.

The important thing is that we start setting down guidelines now, so that we can do it with some semblance of control. If we start trying to apply laws to this kind of science after it is discovered, then there is going to be some serious hell to pay.
This is boring, you can talk like that because you doesn't live in a shitty country where you're starving or can't get any meds. This discovery may help most of the people in world with time if it came true.

The only thing we may fear is that we will stop making babies with time just like the elves in the heroic fantasy, because we will live much longer so we won't feel prpobably the urge to make a family. We may become instinct because of that.

Though, let's face it, if this discovery come true, the brain will still die by itself otherwise this discovery could then cure Alzeimer but it doesn't since the scientists didn't said so. They only talked about stopping aging. all this discovrery can do is allowing us to have a healthier body and live a bit longuer. Because if the brain stop to work, the body will just die then or we will become zombies ? XD

Sorry for my english.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 11:23:01 AM by Chaos17 »

Rep:
Level 94
Lurn 2 quote. In fact, don't post in this section.

And I'm not trolling. Learn what a lobbyist is.

Rep:
Level 77
Bronze - GIAW 9

"Aging" is the process of tissues breaking down and dying off. One could assume that if you could stop aging, you would stop the organs from wearing out as well.

But who is to say that there is no limit to how long the organs can last?  I can guarantee you that there are limits to that, just how a well maintained machine can also break down unexpectedly.  This is especially the case for any of the organs that are functioning every second of the day.  It isn't a physical aging situation, it is just a matter of how hard the organs are being pushed for however long.  Nothing in this world is without an expiration date. 

Rep:
Level 96
2011 Most Missed Member2010 Zero To Hero
There is already a food crisis in the world, you may just live in a country which isn't part of the world can't afford food.

By saying that there are parts of the world which can still afford food, you're highlighting that there are places as of yet unaffected. My point is that all countries, even the U.S. and other rich nations would be experiencing a crisis.

Look at the newspaper, the statistic show the contrary, people tend to have babies when they're between 30 and 40 and even beyand that age because they can live much longer and they want to focus their carreer. That's what is happening with any devellpoped country. Poor countries, tend to make more babies because they easely die, the birth rate is highest..

On the one hand, I have heard this phenomenon being discussed, but I personally find it somewhat difficult to believe. If someone had kids when they were thirty, then by the time those children were grown up the parents would be nearly fifty. By the time the next generation was ready to bear children, the original parents would be on their way out, and the second generation of children would essentially have never met their grandparents. Considering that this is still very uncommon, I doubt that these recent statistics reflect the whole truth of the situation.

Furthermore, I can tell you from just my -local- area that there are plenty of people having children before they even reach legal adulthood, so there's that too. Just because people are having"children that they want to keep later in life doesn't mean they aren't out making babies long before.

I hope you're trolling because religion stopped to countrol most of the world gouvenments some decade ago.

Please do try to maintain some semblance of a level of professionalism, if you would. Furthermore, just because a government body isn't classified as a theocracy does not mean that religion has no strong impact on it. Here's a prime example: gay rights controversy.

Usually things tend to make public, it took more time but things still make to public. Look at flate screen TV, who really here had one 10 years ago ? When it came out ? Still if they keep it it for the rich that really won't matter, they're already a lot things in the world that rich people can afford and us not.

A line of flat screen televisions and a life extending pharmaceutical are on completely different scales. A flat screen tv is a product marketed to make a profit from the American consumer by upselling them on a luxury. An anti-aging pill is a promise of power and longevity that can quite literally change the world, assuming the recipient exercises some degree of power or political swing. Considering the issues I discussed with world resources, this only narrows the frame on who might be considered a candidate for the drug.

Look if you like the idea to lose little by little the control of your body because you're getting older that's your choice man. I think most of people will want to stay healthy and young. That's where making babaies really won't matter since you can enjoy life much longer.

I would like to respectfully submit that you've completely missed the point of this statement.

It is absolutely something that will be controlled. It is no different from situations today where individuals are denied life saving medication. South America has a history of government rationing with medical supplies. A similar situation could easily (and probably) arise in the United States or the European Union. A drug of this kind would be almost prohibitively expensive to distribute. Can you imagine the outcry that would arise from the masses if a cure for cancer was discovered- but it was limited to use by only public officials? An identical uproar will surely explode when the problem of aging is solved.

This is boring, you can talk like that because you doesn't live in a shitty country where you're starving or can't get any meds. This discovery may help most of the people in world with time if it came true.

The only thing we may fear is that we will stop making babies with time just like the elves in the heroic fantasy, because we will live much longer so we won't feel prpobably the urge to make a family. We may become instinct because of that.

Though, let's face it, if this discovery come true, the brain will still die by itself otherwise this discovery could then cure Alzeimer but it doesn't since the scientists didn't said so. They only talked about stopping aging. all this discovrery can do is allowing us to have a healthier body and live a bit longuer. Because if the brain stop to work, the body will just die then or we will become zombies ? XD

Well, ad hominem attack aside, I am "talking like this" because these are real problems that need to be addressed. Yes, there are third-world countries that lack a sustainable food supply and a robust medical system. These are exactly the issues that systematic planning and discussion can help to reduce.

As for the heroic fantasy, that is exactly what it is: a fantasy. People are not about to stop having premarital relations any time soon.

This discovery is perhaps "the key" to battling back aging. It is not a cure. It is a vital step along the way. Anything not accounted for by this particular discovery will be taken into consideration and solved before the release of a final product I am sure- no one is going to give the time of day to a medicine that works only half right.

Also, "poor English" is not an excuse to neglect using a spell checker.

my name is Timothy what's yours
Rep:
Level 79
Hello
2014 Best IRC Quote2014 Zero to Hero2014 Most Missed Member2012 Zero To HeroSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantContestant - GIAW 9For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Zero to Hero

But who is to say that there is no limit to how long the organs can last?  I can guarantee you that there are limits to that, just how a well maintained machine can also break down unexpectedly.  This is especially the case for any of the organs that are functioning every second of the day.  It isn't a physical aging situation, it is just a matter of how hard the organs are being pushed for however long.  Nothing in this world is without an expiration date. 

1. Organs are comprised of tissue.
2. Tissues break down.
3. Organs break down because their tissues break down.
4. If tissues did not break down the organs which they comprise would not break down.
5. Live forever.
6. Ignore problems.
7. ??
8. Purgatory?
it's like a metaphor or something i don't know

Rep:
Level 97
Definitely better than Hitler.
2014 Best Musician2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Funniest Member2013 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Best Musician2013 King of RMRKFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Username2012 Best MusicianFor frequent good quality Wiki writing [citation needed]Most entertaining member on the IRC2011 Best Musician2011 Funniest Member2010 Most Missed Member
My organs are made of metal.
:tinysmile: