RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
New to posting, semi-experienced with RPG Maker VX

Rep:
Level 66
RMRK Junior
Hi, I'm an artist who studied animation for 3 years at art school, and am also a Self-taught musician.  I'm an avid fan of RPG Maker, and have dabbled much with RPG Maker 2000, 2003 and now VX (lovin' it).  I have had numerous random projects I have invented over the years, and most of them never really went anywhere.  Right now, I have a few games I'm casually working on.

1) "Code Experiments" (Lack of better title), has approx. 3-7 minutes of carefully evented opening sequence and story setup; this was a good learning experience for me understanding how to use lots of common events for general storytelling purposes, and used all my own custom MIDI music!
2) "Order of Anders" I developed a neat Torch/Light Spell effect I was proud of using images and blending modes to cause natural light effects.  Not much past that here, other than a few maps.
3) "Tales of Oorna" My newest creation, really just an excuse to get me past creating a handful of maps (and coming up with a game that is FAR to big or hard to wrap my head around).  This project was basically lets map out a fun story that is contrived yet simple, and will let me jump into parts of game design that I have always found very difficult up to this point (mapping villages/dungeons, designing and balancing the whole battle system and monsters, encounters, etc).  I'm forcing myself to just do it, and I think my approach of planning in MS Word and conceiving what I want before opening the game (as well as hand-drawing out map ideas before straight mapping them), I find it much easier to create something I like.

So hi, wanted to introduce myself and move beyond a lurker, and contribute!  I also need your help.  Any advice for how to move past a RPG "dreamer" and to become a "maker" would be quite appreciated. 

I am planning on perhaps uploading a demo or two on the site, and want advice on where to put them as well so I don't post in the wrong places.  I want to upload my first game (the 3-6 minutes story demo) for c&c, and would like advice on cleaning up, presentation, etc.  Also, I want to upload my Torch/Light Spell Demo, but I'm not sure where to put it.  I know where the scripts are on this website, but this isn't a script, it's just an idea for lighting effects using events and pictures, conceived by me.  Pretty simple, but really cool, and I haven't seen  much like it in games.

So yeah, where to upload those files, and advice as a still basically beginner.  Note I also am looking to workshop the Lighting Demo with more experienced users to come up with ideas for how to expand on it and make it more functional.

Thanks!
My Soundcloud:

RMRK Forum - Musical "Works in Progress"
I'm a Musician (Sonar X1, Piano, Guitar, game music inspired), and a visual artist/animator (Adobe Photoshop/After FX).
My musical inspirations include Sigur Ros, Pat Metheny, Andy McKee, Tool, Yokko Kanno, Yasunori Mitsuda, etc, to name a variety.
My favorite RPG series is Breath of Fire.
I love RPG's, & enjoy dabbling with RPG Maker, & am considering projects to start someday.

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
2014 Best RPG Maker User - Story2014 Queen of RMRKProject of the Year 20142011 Best Newbie2014 Best RPG Maker User - Creativity2014 Kindest Member2013 Queen of RMRKBronze SS AuthorBronze Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.GOOD!For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best Yuyubabe Smiley2012 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity);o
Well, howdy!! Welcome to RMRK! :) Another artist! Hoorah! :D

As for advice to stick to games, the thing that helps me out is knowing that people like my game and are looking forward to it. Then, that motivates me. :P Also, having a team is good motivation, as to not let them down. But motivation differs by person haha.

Anyways, good luck! :)
Spoiler for My Games and Art:
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

The Lhuvia Tales [Current]

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Phoenix Wright: Haunted Turnabout [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
2013 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)Randomizer - GIAW 11Gold - GIAW 11 (Hard)Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantGold - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for September 2008For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2011 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2011 Best Veteran2011 Kindest Member2010 Most Deserving Of A Promotion2010 Best RPG Maker User (Technical)

( ´ิ(ꈊ) ´ิ) ((≡^⚲͜^≡)) (ી(΄◞ิ౪◟ิ‵)ʃ)
Rep:
Level 102
(っ˘ڡ˘ς) ʕ•̼͛͡•ʕ-̺͛͡•ʔ•̮͛͡•ʔ (*ꆤ.̫ꆤ*)
2014 Avast Ye Merry Pirate!2013 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award2012 Avast Ye Merry Pirate AwardFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Most Unsung Member2011 Avast Ye Merry Pirate2010 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award
If your file is under 8MB, it's possible to attach to a post here. Otherwise, MediaFire is a nice file host. Welcome :)
bringing sexy back

Rep:
Level 60
As for advice to stick to games, the thing that helps me out is knowing that people like my game and are looking forward to it. Then, that motivates me. :P Also, having a team is good motivation, as to not let them down. But motivation differs by person haha.

Motivation differs, but both of those are great motivators. For us, a lot of the motivation comes from writing a story that we want other people to be able to experience, and then attempting to make that a reality. So far, we haven't released anything, but that motivation has kept us moving on the two projects that we've been working on simultaneously. :)

And welcome, evildrspock. Looking forward to seeing what you have to contribute to the site! :)

Rep:
Level 97
Definitely better than Hitler.
2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2014 Best Musician2013 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Best Musician2013 King of RMRK2013 Funniest MemberFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Username2012 Best MusicianFor frequent good quality Wiki writing [citation needed]2011 Best Musician2011 Funniest MemberMost entertaining member on the IRC2010 Most Missed Member
:tinysmile:

Rep:
Level 66
RMRK Junior
Nice to see quick replies!  Thankyou for the warm welcome  :)

So I just made a drop box account, noticed some users (aka Fall From Eden) used it to post music, and was wondering if that was a good resource for uploading things like demos, projects, screenshots etc as a download link.

Also, I was wondering where to post my lighting demo on this website (like, what forum/page, etc).

Also, I posted some music in the auditorium, please feel free to listen and let me know what you think!  That should be updated regularly as I upload more songs I've written.

Note:  I will use this forum as a general faq as I learn to use this site.  Thanks for the kind words, happy to meet you all.
My Soundcloud:

I'm a Musician (Sonar X1, Piano, Guitar, game music inspired), and a visual artist/animator (Adobe Photoshop/After FX).
My musical inspirations include Sigur Ros, Pat Metheny, Andy McKee, Tool, Yokko Kanno, Yasunori Mitsuda, etc, to name a variety.
I love RPG's, & enjoy dabbling with RPG Maker, & am considering projects to start someday.

Rep:
Level 63
オ・マイ・ゴッド ・㉨・
Welcome!
Contribute lots to the forum, brah!
Good luck with RPG-making' aswell!  :police:
なんでやねん

Rep:
Level 60
Nice to see quick replies!  Thankyou for the warm welcome  :)

You're welcome! :D

So I just made a drop box account, noticed some users (aka Fall From Eden) used it to post music, and was wondering if that was a good resource for uploading things like demos, projects, screenshots etc as a download link.

It absolutely is, but we haven't shared any music through it (but might someday). It's great for screenshots and demo links, though, definitely. In case you haven't figured this out yet, you can right-click on files in your Dropbox account and select "Copy Public Link" to get the URL for the file you want to share. From that, you can post images with [img]your URL here[/img] and post demos (or other URLs) as links with [url=your URL here]Link name[/url]. :)

Also, I was wondering where to post my lighting demo on this website (like, what forum/page, etc).

That depends a little bit on whether or not you're presenting it as just an event system, or as a tutorial to create the event system. If it's just the system itself, we believe it would go in RMVX Event Systems (since we read that you're using RMVX), and if it's a tutorial, the Tutorials Database should do it. Someone else please correct us if that's incorrect.

Note:  I will use this forum as a general faq as I learn to use this site.  Thanks for the kind words, happy to meet you all.

Glad to meet you, too. :) Also, you can use the Board Support area of the forums if you have technical questions about how to do things, you know. :)

Rep:
Level 85
I solve practical problems.
For taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
Hello, welcome to RMRK :D

Rep:
Level 66
RMRK Junior

It absolutely is, but we haven't shared any music through it (but might someday). It's great for screenshots and demo links, though, definitely. In case you haven't figured this out yet, you can right-click on files in your Dropbox account and select "Copy Public Link" to get the URL for the file you want to share. From that, you can post images with [img]your URL here[/img] and post demos (or other URLs) as links with [url=your URL here]Link name[/url]. :)

Well what I meant was when you make a link like this:

Mysterious (original composition)
Download https://dl.dropbox.com/s/w8amgpmktsblaqw/Mysterious.mp3?dl=1

Basically using it as a host for files I wanna upload.  I hate those free image websites, images expire, accounts are annoying to track and drop box seems like a nice way to do this/host files for the web.  Really, really useful, actually.

That depends a little bit on whether or not you're presenting it as just an event system, or as a tutorial to create the event system. If it's just the system itself, we believe it would go in RMVX Event Systems (since we read that you're using RMVX), and if it's a tutorial, the Tutorials Database should do it. Someone else please correct us if that's incorrect.

Well, I could do either, I was gonna extract what I've made into a new file with a "demo" and try and remember what I did to perhaps explain it in a tutorial, so I guess I could post it in either.  It requires 6 images I've made in photoshop (the user could make their own for custom effects, it involves color blending mode options), so ideally I could just put it all in a Demo file so they can see the result, and then I guess I should explain how I did it so others can make their own, or just use mine.  Like I said I also wanna workshop and pick the more experienced user's brains for ideas of how to expand it, I have great ideas I don't know how to implement.

Anyways, thanks for the advice, I'll post them there when I'm ready.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 04:28:26 AM by evildrspock »
My Soundcloud:

*crack*
Rep:
Level 64
2012 Most Unsung Member2012 Best NewbieFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots
All of my scripts are totally free to use for commercial use. You don't need to ask me for permission. I'm too lazy to update every single script post I ever made with this addendum. So ignore whatever "rule" I posted there. :)

All scripts can be found at: https://pastebin.com/u/diamondandplatinum3

Rep:
Level 66
RMRK Junior
My first demo is up! (maybe it's a tutorial? ... not sure)  Please check it out and tell me what you think:

*******Light Spell/Torch Demo v 1.0 RMVX(Dragonwarrior style)*******

My Soundcloud:

Rep:
Level 66
RMRK Junior
My Soundcloud: