RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Input issues

Rep:
Level 88
Unoriginal text here.
I got a new Insignia HDTV for my room. It's a 24 inch and cost around $200.

I'm noticing little "blips" in the audio. Times when it, for just a split second, messes up. Video game background music will be playing, and then it will just blip. It's hardly noticeable unless you're around the TV as often as say, me.

Any idea what might be causing this blip? Is this normal or should I call this in on the warranty?

UPDATE
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 10:46:11 PM by Animefan »

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
2013 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)Randomizer - GIAW 11Gold - GIAW 11 (Hard)Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantGold - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for September 2008For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2011 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2011 Best Veteran2011 Kindest Member2010 Most Deserving Of A Promotion2010 Best RPG Maker User (Technical)
Checked the cable to make sure everything's properly connected, no loose wires or anything funky?

Last Stop
Rep:
Level 88
Everyone Off
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 92011 Biggest Drama WhoreBronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
it's beeping in agony as it plays your weeaboo games :V

and now for the serious comment. could be a hardware fault. did you google to see if anyone else with the same model tv is having similar issues.

Rep:
Level 88
Unoriginal text here.
I'm not seeing anything specific about common sound issues. There are some separate sound issues, but none that quite match my own. And yeah, I checked the HDMI. It's in correctly. I'll watch a movie through the component-connected DVD player and see if I notice the audio problem there too.

Rep:
Level 88
Unoriginal text here.
So the audio issues have ceased. I took the HDMI thing out and stuck it in a different HDMI port, and now I don't notice the audio problems anymore. So maybe the previous port is glitchy, or maybe the cord wasn't in it properly.

I've got something new going on though. My DVD player is hooked up through the component inputs. Whenever I'm watching an anime, the show will play fine for a bit, but then the TV screen will randomly turn black and the sound will go away, and then the box that reads "Component 720p etc. etc." pops up again, and then the picture returns. This all happens in a split second. As if I'd just switched input modes and switched back even though I didn't.

I tried keeping the batteries out of the remote in case it was sending the TV false signals. That didn't work. I took the cables out and stuck them back in. That didn't work. I didn't have this problem in the past, so I know the DVD player isn't at fault.

I tried searching google, but nobody had the same problem as me. Or if they did, I don't know how to find it because I don't know the correct term for it. Some people's input problems are along the line of "My input screen keeps flashing." or "My TV has frozen.", but nothing like "The screen turns black momentarily, displays input status, and then returns to normal randomly." If there's a proper term for this kind of problem, I don't know what that term is.

Anybody else ever experience this before?

And why the fuck am I always the one who gets random obscure tech problems nobody's ever heard of or has a cure for anyway? This kind of issue shouldn't even be possible. I mean look at my thread record: Hundreds of topics about obscure tech issues, many of which would take an obsessive-compulsive to even notice.

EDIT: Thankfully a pattern has been determined. Now I just need to figure out the cause.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 07:50:45 AM by Animefan »

Sperm Donor Extraordinaire
Rep:
Level 77
Bronze - GIAW 9
If you can, try the DVD player on another TV...because if there is one thing I know from experience about electronics is something can work one day and then the next it wont work and you can't completely rule out the device until you've tested it on a known stable platform.  If the problem doesn't happen again on the other TV, and mind you you will need to give it a real tried-and-true test, not some half-assed 10-20 minute test and call it quits, then you definitely have a problem with the TV.  Components break down with plenty of use so you can never rule out a factor.
I am out of fucks to give.  In fact, I think you owe ME some fucks.  I have insufficient fucks in the fucking account.

Rep:
Level 88
Unoriginal text here.
If you can, try the DVD player on another TV...because if there is one thing I know from experience about electronics is something can work one day and then the next it wont work and you can't completely rule out the device until you've tested it on a known stable platform.  If the problem doesn't happen again on the other TV, and mind you you will need to give it a real tried-and-true test, not some half-assed 10-20 minute test and call it quits, then you definitely have a problem with the TV.  Components break down with plenty of use so you can never rule out a factor.
Oh, I've tested it out extensively on my previous TV. Up until a few days ago I was still watching DVDs with it on that old set.

EDIT: New development! I've discovered that this problem occurs at specific points within the DVD. For example, during the opening theme to Black Lagoon, it always occurs just as the song gets to "the ends of the earth". If I rewind and replay that part, the glitch happens again without fail each time. What could this mean?
(Note: It's not the DVD either. This problem occurs with plenty of other DVDs which never caused me problems in the past.)

Thank goodness the problem has some kind of logical cause and doesn't just happen randomly for no reason. At least I can pinpoint when. Now if only I could figure out why.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 07:01:47 AM by Animefan »

Resident Cloud
Rep:
Level 91
Im guessing you're running a laptop and HDMIing in.

Laptops have unfixed CPU Speeds to save power/Because their shit.

If your CPU speed suddenly changes, OR you overwhelm your system while outputing HD(Read HARD TO DO) video. Then your laptop is going to blip audio like this. Its the laptop's way of saying, "I CANT KEEP UP".

However, if this occurs when using a DVD Player or a raw tv feed(cable or whatever) then yes its the tv.

It also could be the HDMI Cable. But I'm sure you've checked those things :)

Rep:
Level 88
Unoriginal text here.
No, it's an Xbox 360. And it didn't have this issue on my bigger HDTV downstairs. (Oh, and the blip issue is back.)

Resident Cloud
Rep:
Level 91
it's an Xbox360
So is that playing a DVD or using one of these horrible streaming service things that never work?

Rep:
Level 97
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantSecret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Most Successful Troll
Netflix actually works like magic in the states.
Unless you're talking about OnLive.

Resident Cloud
Rep:
Level 91
I meant the home network ones, where you stream from your own machine across a saturated network using the same hardware the machine has to play videos.

Rep:
Level 88
Unoriginal text here.
It was playing DVDs. And the youtube application for the Xbox. Happened in both cases.
And today I bought a Blu-Ray player. I tried that with my TV, and I'm noticing the issue less.

However, I'm STILL noticing it. Little blips in the audio every now and then when I'm watching video. And I'm using DVDs. I really think it might be my TV set that's causing the problem. What should I do? It's such a tiny thing that's hard to notice. I fear if I turn the TV in for a replacement, they'll tell me they "can't reproduce the problem" and give it right back. (We should really outlaw that response. Tighter regulation for better business practices, for a better tomorrow.) But I can't just live with the TV being like this because I'm gonna keep noticing it every time I play anything on it.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 10:48:40 PM by Animefan »

Resident Cloud
Rep:
Level 91
Can you get some TV on the TV, if it happens with a tv signal its the tv(PROBABLY)

Rep:
Level 88
Unoriginal text here.
Can you get some TV on the TV, if it happens with a tv signal its the tv(PROBABLY)
Can't. It's not hooked up to any Cable. But consider the evidence: The TV in my room has the audio issue when I use either the Xbox or the Blu Ray player to play DVDs. Yet when I use the exact same Blu Ray player or the exact same Xbox with the exact same HDMI cables and the exact same DVD on my bigger TV in the living room, the issue doesn't happen. The only factor that changes is the TV. Isn't it safe to say that the TV is the cause in this case?

Also, this definitely isn't an issue that all HDTVs have, right? I just want somebody to tell me it isn't so I can call bullshit if the Best Buy rep claims "It's normal."

Meet me in the middle
Rep:
Level 89
or left of the dial.
For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam botsSecret Santa 2012 Participant
it's definitely the T.V.

Rep:
Level 88
Unoriginal text here.
Could it by any possibility be the HDMI cable? Because, I brought the TV in today, talked to them about the issue, had them watch a scene during Watchmen where I usually hear the blip a lot, and we heard nothing of the sort. They used their DVD equipment and their HDMI cable. They couldn't reproduce the problem. (But I got them to exchange the TV anyway. The new one also has the blip, but to a lesser extent.)

I know expensive HDMI cables are a scam, but mine was a cheap $3 one and probably a Chinese copy.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 11:47:15 PM by Animefan »

Meet me in the middle
Rep:
Level 89
or left of the dial.
For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam botsSecret Santa 2012 Participant
it could be the cable conflicting with the T.V., then. Try a new cable.