RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[VXA] Quest Journal 1.0.3

Rep: +0/-0Level 31
RMRK Junior
Hello, Modern Algebra.

While I was testing my game, I discovered that when you set the objective to about more than 5 objectives, the game will crash.
It has something to do with the game interpreter, somewhere in line 1411.

The image is in the attachment.

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2014 Most Unsung Member2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Best Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Best Veteran2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
I can set more than 5 objectives without there being any error.

The error you are receiving sounds like an error in whatever code you are using in the Script event command. Please post a screenshot of whatever you have in that command and I will take a look.

Rep: +0/-0Level 31
RMRK Junior
EDIT: It seems to work, now! Solved! :D

Awesome script Modern.
It works perfectly, but from a moment to another it gives me this error.

It's strange because i don't modify nothing and i don't use any type of picture (icons are correct ;) ).
My script is also under my Galv menù themes engine, but i repeat that until one hour ago it works perfectly and now i didn't change nothing! XD
For you where is the problem? Thanks :D
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 08:37:03 PM by Fatalys93 »

Rep: +0/-0Level 40
RMRK Junior
I have two queries.

Up until now in my game I have had 2 totally separate parties, using Tsukihime's Party Manager script (found here http://himeworks.com/redirect.php?type=script&name=Party_Manager).  They have had their own inventories and gold, and - without me having to do anything - their own separate list of quests.  This was fine because all side quests could only be discovered and completed by a specific party, they were not shared in any way.

I have just merged the two parties, and their inventories and gold have combined without a hitch.  However, the quests of the second party which has been merged into the first party, did not add themselves to the quest list.  In one sense this is not the end of the world, because if they haven't completed them I can put blocks on so that they can't go back and finish them as a joint team.  However, it would be nice if they did show up.  Is this at all possible?

For your convenience I am posting the short script which does the merging because it is not part of Tsukihime's original script.
Spoiler for:
Code: [Select]
#written by Tsukihime 29/12/2014 with gold fix by Source.
#script call to merge Party 2 with Party 1
#merge_parties(1, 2)

class Game_Parties

# Merges party2 into party1
  def merge(id1, id2)
    party1 = @data[id1]
    party2 = @data[id2]

# merge actors
    party2.members.each do |mem|
      party1.add_actor(mem.id)
    end

# merge inventories
    party2.items.each {|item| party1.gain_item(item, party2.item_number(item)) }
    party2.weapons.each {|item| party1.gain_item(item, party2.item_number(item)) }
    party2.armors.each {|item| party1.gain_item(item, party2.item_number(item)) }

party1.gain_gold(party2.gold)

# Make first party the active party
    switch_party(id1)

# Delete the second party, as it has been merged
    delete_party(id2)
  end
end

class Game_Interpreter
  def merge_parties(id1, id2)
    $game_parties.merge(id1, id2)
  end
end

My second query is more easily shown in a screen shot

As you can see, the last objective is overlaid by the line which separates the objectives section from the rewards section.  I also cannot scroll down to see the rewards.  It's as if I've used up all the available space for this.  Is it possible to extend the length of this down to allow for more objectives (there will be 3 more) and still be able to see the rewards?

Oh, and btw, I have no idea what that line of question marks at the top of the list of quests is all about.

Thank you.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 09:37:45 AM by ksjp17 »

Rep: +0/-0Level 40
RMRK Junior
I've been able to get it fixed on another site.  If anyone is interested in either of the solutions, you can find them in this thread http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/40467-urgent-help-with-modern-algebras-quest-journal-needed/

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Project of the Year 20142014 Best RPG Maker User - Story2014 Queen of RMRK2011 Best Newbie2014 Kindest Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Creativity2013 Queen of RMRKBronze SS AuthorBronze Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.GOOD!For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best Yuyubabe Smiley2012 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity);o
Glad you got it sorted out. Thanks for sharing! :)
Spoiler for My Games and Art:
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

The Lhuvia Tales [Current]

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Phoenix Wright: Haunted Turnabout [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2014 Most Unsung Member2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Best Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Best Veteran2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
I am sorry that I wasn't around to help with those problems ksjp17. Thanks for sharing the solution. If I get around to updating this script, I will fix the error.

Rep: +0/-0Level 59
RMRK Junior
Hi modern algebra!
I really like your script, but i have few requests.
Can you make possible to change quest location and client via script calls?
I am making one huge quest with different quest givers and locations. When one part of quest is completed i will set objective as completed and then i will reveal next objective for next part. For the most of time, quest givers and their locations are different, so i would like to change it via script calls. Can you please consider adding this feature in your script soon?

Rep:
Level 97
Hi Necrofenser. That is already possible. Just use the following code in a script call:

quest(14).client = "New client"
quest(14).location = "New location"

Replace 14 with the ID of the quest you are changing, and of course replace "New client" and "New location" with the names of the new client and location.

Rep: +0/-0Level 59
RMRK Junior
One more question.
I can't seem to find this on first page of this script, so i have to ask you here.
What kind of licence this script have? Free for private use only or it's also free for commercial use too?

Rep:
Level 97
It is free for use in commercial projects.

Rep: +0/-0Level 29
RMRK Junior
hello modern algebra.

i hope, you can help me for my problem^^''

I use the script for quest and also for achievements.
At this point, some informations are only visible, when you get it.
So i change it with the commands [quest().name = ""] and [quest().location = ""]. The last, i will change is the objective. But how is the command for this, because it can have more than one. I testet this:

quest().objective = ""
quest().objective1 = ""
quest().objective_1 = ""
quest().objective_id_1 = ""

I hope you can help me^^

gratz
Sora-MMK

PS. sorry for my bad english, i'm german^^
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 02:00:22 AM by SoraMMK »

Rep:
Level 97
Hi SoraMMK. Sorry for the delay. You can change the contents of an objective with the code:

quest(x).objectives[y] = ""

Where x is the quest ID and y is the objective ID (starts at 0). However, if all you are looking to do is reveal information sequentially, you could just set it all up in the script itself and use the reveal_objective and conceal_objective codes.

I also received a request from Ziemanin1 to make it so that some quests did not show up in the all, active, complete, or failed categories, and instead only showed up in whatever custom categories they were assigned.

I wrote the following patch for anyone with a similar desire:

#==============================================================================
#    Remove Quest from Default Categories [Patch for Quest Journal v. 1.0.3]
#    Version: 1.0.0
#    Author: modern algebra (rmrk.net)
#    Date: October 24, 2015
#++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
#  Description:
#
#    This patch allows you to specify that some quests should ONLY show up in
#   the custom categories to which they belong, and not in the default :all,
#   :active, :complete, and :failed categories.
#  Instructions:
#
#    Paste this script into the Script Editor below the Quest Journal but above
#  Main.
#
#    To specify that a quest should only show up in custom categories, include
#  :only in its custom categories array. For example, if you have a custom
#  :towns category and you only want the quest to show up in that and not in
#  the :active and :all categories, then you would put the following when
#  setting the quest up:
#
#      q[:custom_categories] = [:only, :towns]
#
#  You can set more than one custom category as well. Please note that if you
#  do not set at least one custom category though, then putting :only in a
#  quest's custom categories array will make it invisible and inaccessible.

# ** Game_Quests
#  Summary of Changes:
#    overwritten method - include?

class Game_Quests
  #~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  # * Include?
  #    determines whether to include a particular quest depending on list type
  #~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  def include?(quest_id, list_type = :all)
    return false if !revealed?(quest_id)
    return @data[quest_id].custom_categories.include?(list_type) if @data[quest_id].custom_categories.include?(:only)
    case list_type
    when :all then true
    when :complete, :failed, :active then @data[quest_id].status?(list_type)
    else
      @data[quest_id].custom_categories.include?(list_type)
    end
  end
end
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 02:51:45 PM by modern algebra »

RMRK's dad-in-training
Rep:
Level 72
Busy Husband, Dad, and Youth Minister
GIAW 14: 2nd Place (Easy Mode)2014 Best WriterBronze - GIAW 11 (Normal)Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.2012 Best NewbieContestant - GIAW 9
You are awesome MA. If I were to request any of your scripts to be made for MV first, it would be this one for sure.

RMRK's dad-in-training
Rep:
Level 72
GIAW 14: 2nd Place (Easy Mode)2014 Best WriterBronze - GIAW 11 (Normal)Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.2012 Best NewbieContestant - GIAW 9
Double post cause bragging.

I was on another forum talking with a guy about his Quest plugin for MV.

When I asked if they planned on allowing for a certain feature they replied:
"This isn't going to do everything for you!"

Then I realized how awesome this script is.

Thanks for such a contribution MA!

Rep:
Level 97
Thanks bluntsword. To be fair though, this script doesn't do all that much in the grand scheme of things. It just lets you display stuff. All the hard work of setting up the quests and progressing them through the game is done by you guys.

RMRK's dad-in-training
Rep:
Level 72
Still, this guy only allowed for quests to be modified by variables. Very bare bones in comparison to yours.

Edit - and +1 for using notes in the event instead of call scripts.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 03:11:25 AM by bluntsword »

Rep: +0/-0Level 27
RMRK Junior
Sorry to bump such an old thread, but I've just recently discovered this script and love it, however I am wanting to use a custom menu script with my game as well, and I was wondering how I would add this Quest Journal to the custom menu script. Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask about it (also asking the maker of the menu script as well, wasn't sure which one to ask so figured I'd do both and cover everyone lol).

The script in question is:

http://niclas-thornqvist.se/rpg/scripts/ace/xs-menu-delux.txt

with the core scrip http://niclas-thornqvist.se/rpg/scripts/ace/xs-core.txt

Rep: +0/-0Level 26
RMRK Junior
Sorry to bump such an old thread, but I've just recently discovered this script and love it, however I am wanting to use a custom menu script with my game as well, and I was wondering how I would add this Quest Journal to the custom menu script. Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask about it (also asking the maker of the menu script as well, wasn't sure which one to ask so figured I'd do both and cover everyone lol).

The script in question is:

http://niclas-thornqvist.se/rpg/scripts/ace/xs-menu-delux.txt

with the core scrip http://niclas-thornqvist.se/rpg/scripts/ace/xs-core.txt

Put this under Menu_List:
:quest     => ["Quests", "View all current quests.", nil, true, false, 4],

The '4' is the same number as MENU_INDEX and your common event, which should be just a script call:

SceneManager.call(Scene_Quest)

With trigger set as none.

Sorry for double bumping an old thread :P

Rep: +0/-0Level 26
RMRK Junior
Hi modern algebra
I am trying to figure out if there is a way to use the mouse wheel to scroll down the quest info that exceeds the height of the screen, or make a scroll bar appear at the right part of the screen. I can use the arrows on my keyboard but it is not convenient for me since everything on my game will be mouse-able XD.
Thank you for the good work!

Rep: +0/-0Level 17
RMRK Junior
I love your script. It is super easy for me to use (and I'm a beginner), but I am stuck on how to make it so if you have a running total, it will come up in your quest journal.

By the way, I'm using RPG Maker VX Ace.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 05:47:54 AM by ElizaGloom »
Nemaio,

Dif-tor heh smusma!

Rep: +0/-0Level 17
RMRK Junior
I have figured it out. Don't worry!  ;D
Nemaio,

Dif-tor heh smusma!

Rep: +0/-0Level 13
RMRK Junior
This script is fantastic and I love it.  No problems with it at all, but I am wondering about a possible feature.  Is there any way to hide some of the categories (or even all of them, displaying only the "All" quests) until those categories become relevant?  I have custom categories relating to different areas, and I'd like them not to show up in the log until the character has actually visited those areas.  Even if this is not possible, thanks already for making such an amazing, useful, versatile script!