RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[CC][XP-Demo]Oh, Brother

Rep:
Level 76
Shh, they're listening...
Thank you! I'm glad they look nice. I had a hard time figuring out how to do them. Portraits are a new thing for me, and I haven't done too much with expressions either. So I'm pretty nervous about these. ><

---Update---
My ideas for style have changed a bit since I started. Now that I've decided to go with a diary theme to much of the game (it's only shown in menu options and quest text currently), I'm not sure how to color the portraits, battlers, Or how to handle the cutscenes.

If they should be line-less and painted, have very thin lines(cell-shading), or rough look (how they are now but cleaned up with crayon textured colors). The battlers would likely follow suit, but not if I go with the painted approach (it just doesn't scale well).

As for cutscenes, I have thumbs for the intro scene sketched out(and I'm not showing them because they are horribly messy and incomprehensible to anyone but me). I just need to figure out how to proceed with them.

My options are comic style pages where each panel pops up in sequence (similar to Phantasy Star 4(SPOILER -ending sequence)), or a storybook style with full page "snapshots" of a scene and a little text (similar to Fortune Summoners...because it's not obvious enough what game I play when I take a break from making this one).

The comic panel approach would be done in a clean, cell-shaded style with lineless backgrounds so the characters stand out.  (old example from different project)
Storybook approach would mean sketchy crayon drawings, a lineless and painted style or a combination (if I can pull it off).

Any opinions on which sounds more interesting is certainly encouraged. I can also try to get some quick examples done if it helps.

While I'm transfering quest dialogue from text file to in-game events, I have a lot of time to think about this sort of thing. I'm sorry if these updates are bugging anyone, I figured using this topic as a sort of dev journal might be interesting. If it's not, or you don't like being asked for such input, let me know and I'll just update with pictures. ^.-
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 07:44:53 AM by Dyre »

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
You know, I think its all gonna be okay.
For going the distance for a balanced breakfast.Project of the Month winner for June 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2013 Best WriterSilver Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 Participant
Feel free to spam this thread as much as you like. I'm using mine for much the same purpose, and while not the most interesting read it's nice to page through it and see how things have evolved.
:tinysmile:

Rep:
Level 64
RMRK Junior
I like the portrait, I would suggest you change the position of the message box, so it comes out something like this:

Rep:
Level 76
I'm not sure what you mean with the message box position?

---
Minor Update to show how the colors look in-game.

Spoiler for Colors:

[\spoiler]

Rep:
Level 60
Creativity is all I have.
Know what's funny? The thing I like the most is the font..

But I really love the colours and the whole style together. I also like the fact that you update the topic so much. It really shows me that you're working hard on this. Keep it up! :)

Rep:
Level 76
The fonts are "Hapole Markerpen" (message) and "Cinnamon Cake" (namebox)

I wanted something messy and child-like. I found these and fell in love with them.

I'm glad it looks nice together. Also that my frequent updates are not irritating. I am using any spare moment to work on this, and since there seems to be real interest in it I'd like to at least get a demo together.

Rep:
Level 60
I totally understand what you mean. You get an idea in your head and when you start working it out you want to do more and more. When people start showing interest it becomes even more fun. Don't worry, I don't think anyone here would irritate him/herself with your updates. Take your time and I'll be waiting for that Demo ;)

Rep:
Level 76
Praise the Sun (Arcana)
GIAW 14: 1st Place (Hard Mode)
I really like the Mom's face graphic. Mighty snazzy.

Rep:
Level 76
Thank you. ^.^ I am more comfortable drawing women..of a specific type. So, she was fun.

---Small Update---
Haven't had a lot of time for the demo-related stuff, so I tried my hand at spriting the race of dwarves that will inhabit the second town. I'll be using the breeze template for these, as they are meant to be very small and stick out from the rest of the rtp.

I hope I'm not giving too much of them away with this little wip. I want to toss in quite a few references to things I enjoy, and the dwarves are kind of a big one. ><

It's not much to show yet but it's something.

I'll have most of a weekend to devote to the demo stuff here soon, but for now all I can really do are things that take less than an hour. =/
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 06:28:13 AM by Dyre »

Rep:
Level 76
I have a title screen! Maybe. I'm not sure how I feel about it right now (it did not scale as well as I'd hoped), and I still need to figure out how to show the choices (line paper windowskin with crayon font and cursor is what I'm thinking).

Spoiler for Image!:

It's supposed to look like Nini could have drawn it, not sure how well I did there. If this comes off well, I may do all of the cutscenes in this style. So that it appears as little drawings in her diary. Perhaps the cutscenes will have some white space to make it look like it's on a page..dunno. Still working that out. The portraits and battlers will stay the style they currently are, unless it would be too jarring to have different art styles? This is new territory for me. I am making it up as I go in regards to the art. ><

Rep:
Level 64
RMRK Junior
Sorry, but the image link has expired.
What I wanted to tell you is to move the location of the message box, as in this screen:

At the center is ugly.

Rep:
Level 60
I have a title screen! Maybe. I'm not sure how I feel about it right now (it did not scale as well as I'd hoped), and I still need to figure out how to show the choices (line paper windowskin with crayon font and cursor is what I'm thinking).

Spoiler for Image!:

It's supposed to look like Nini could have drawn it, not sure how well I did there. If this comes off well, I may do all of the cutscenes in this style. So that it appears as little drawings in her diary. Perhaps the cutscenes will have some white space to make it look like it's on a page..dunno. Still working that out. The portraits and battlers will stay the style they currently are, unless it would be too jarring to have different art styles? This is new territory for me. I am making it up as I go in regards to the art. ><
I really like this. The placement and way of drawing the environment isn't like a child at all, but it still works. It would be fun to see how Nini got better at drawing as the story progressed. :)

Sorry, but the image link has expired.
What I wanted to tell you is to move the location of the message box, as in this screen:

At the center is ugly.
I don't think that's the problem here. The message box is just to large as it is right now. Changing the height would help quite a lot and maybe a custom windowskin, for a finishing touch :)

Rep:
Level 76
This better for the message box?

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
For going the distance for a balanced breakfast.Project of the Month winner for June 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2013 Best WriterSilver Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 Participant
Hmm, floatin messages. I'm not sure if I personally like those, but the portrait itself is top drawer! Nice job!

Rep:
Level 76
I was thinking of adding little tails to the windows to better connect them to the speaker, but I'd have to go through all of my messages -again- to add them and I'm not even finished adding the portraits. I could also put them on the bottom of the screen instead of above events, but that would also require going through and changing all of the calls for messages. I'd like to actually progress instead of just going back to fix things. =/

If it bugs people when I get the demo out, I'll gladly change it. I just want to get my demo finished right now.

--Update for pictures--
The first two images for the cutscene. They are meant to appear as drawings in her Diary, and her way of introducing herself and her story.

Spoiler for Storypages:

I'm still not sure they really look like a little girl drew them, but she is a mage so maybe she used magic to help.  There may also be little drawings for some of her Diary entries (special quests that get extra info when completed, optional to read) that will have a much simpler look. I may also go back and re-draw these later. Not sure I like them.

It's something to show though. The custom menu will likely not be in the first demo, that will take me some time to finish (I still have quite a bit to learn for it). I have what little I did in working order now though and a much better foundation to work from (because Logan is awesome).

To make this a bit more substantial, as I think I'm getting close to finishing the demo, so here is some progress in the form of percentages. I'm rounding up and I tend to jump around with new ideas of things to add (I'm trying to focus ><), so this is a rough estimate if anything. It does help show that I'm making progress, however. ^.^

Progress toward Demo Release;
Cutscenes (35%)
Portraits (10%)
NPC dialogue (60%)
Maps (80%)
Database (100%)
Quests (70%)
Chapter End events (50%)
Extras (40%)

Make sure everything connects properly
TEST (I do this as I go, and I will likely ask for testers if anyone is up for that when it comes time)
DEMO!

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
That picture was adorable. How did you do it? I HATE this style, but you have me eating out of your hand and begging for more!

I will be insulted if you do not allow me to test!

Rep:
Level 76
>< I'm glad you like it.

As soon as I have it finished and tested it myself, I'll update asking for testers. Basically whoever is interested will be added to the list and I'll pm them with a link to the project download, controls and some instructions on what they should be able to do in the demo.

There will likely be a limit to the number of people to avoid my going crazy getting bug reports, but I've never done this before so I'm not really sure how to handle that yet. I just know I will need testers.

You are certainly on the list now. = )

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
Thanks! And was this still on XP platform, or did you go with something else? I know you posted this information, but I can't seem to find it...

Rep:
Level 82
It was still on XP a day ago when I was fixing the menu script.

For testing, you could start with a select few people to test the core areas with a focus on what those areas are (menus, maps, events, battle system etc), then release an open beta version that will help find all the missed bugs that come up mostly from people doing crazy things you never intended them to do. Whatever you do do, though, it's worth having a bit of a plan and a template for addressing/reporting bugs is probably a good idea. It helps to condense what it is your fixing, rather than reading a huge block of text trying to decipher it.

I'll happily help out where I can with the testing/fixing side if you need it. I've enjoyed our interaction so far.

That, and working on that script (and being able to sneak a peak at the game); it's got my attention.
(Why do I always feel like it's the end of the world and I'm the last man standing?)

Rep:
Level 76
It is still XP, M00s. If that ever changes, I will change the tag on this thread. I doubt it will though. I've done everything with XP in mind, so I'll be sticking with it. I was tempted to switch to VX for the super adorable chibi sprites, more pixel depth and much brighter color palette, but I like XP more for some reason (I honestly couldn't tell you why, I like RM2k3 more than XP, but I can give you reasons for that).

Those are brilliant ideas, Logan, thank you. I had planned on a beta release and using a template, but hadn't considered giving specific core areas to test. I'd only figured something as simple as "list type of bug in subject of message" (Map, Event,etc.) to help me go through them easier.

You've been incredibly helpful so far, I will certainly not turn down any help you offer. I'm also glad what little was in there interested you enough to mention it. I haven't shown much of the actual game to anyone yet, so I've been a little worried about how well it was coming along.

=
I'm not sure he wanted me to announce this yet or not, so I wont say more than there will be an original soundtrack. I only mention it because it means I am going to be pushing as hard as I can to get the first chapter (which is the demo) finished as soon as possible. Then I will send it off and wait patiently for more lovely music (and what little I've heard is indeed lovely). There may even be music in the demo, but I'm not rushing anyone but myself so no promises.

==
I also wanted to thank everyone that has posted in this thread and offered their help. I've never felt so welcomed before, and having so many people show such interest in something I'm doing is honestly amazing. >< I am more excited about this project now than I ever expected to be and I may actually finish something thanks to all of you.

So...thanks.

I'll try to get you something playable soon. ^.^

Rep:
Level 64
RMRK Junior
Honestly?
I do not like this style of drawing, but I can not tell if my opinion is objective or subjective.
Oh wait...
I had not read this:
They are meant to appear as drawings in her Diary, and her way of introducing herself and her story
I think it's fine, but take me a curiosity: did you use a tablet, or you have drawn by hand and then you have scanned?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 12:30:21 PM by Saul »

Rep:
Level 76
They are drawn with a tablet using custom settings to make the brush look more like a crayon or colored pencil.

I've never really drawn with crayon or colored pencil, and the brush is not even close to the real thing (in feel anyway), so this is entirely experimental for me. The style seems to fit though, and I can always go back and redraw the pages to make them look more like a child's pencil drawings, so I'm not too concerned.

I am all for honesty, definitely tell me if something looks bad or just doesn't work with the rest of it.  This thread is half letting people know how the game is progressing and half getting feedback for changes. = )

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
I definitely think they should stay. If what I gather from the characters is accurate, it not only meshes well with Nini being so young, but provides a pleasant counterpoint to the souls in her dolls. And besides, it's cute!

Rep:
Level 76
That is good to know, I was hoping they'd serve as a counterpoint for the darker aspect of her dolls. ^.^

--
I will update when I have something more significant. I'm still working out dialogue and figuring out how to get the quests to work how I'd like(and mapping a few more interiors). I have also decided to do a 25 Essential Expressions exercise to help me with the portraits, I'll have Nini's finished soon to show. That will give a sneak peak at what to expect. She's very expressive, so I'm learning quite a bit and having fun drawing her many faces. Hopefully they will fun to see too.

Rep:
Level 76
I took a short break due to a death in the family rendering me useless for a bit. I am back to work now, however, and I have an announcement!

I will add this to the main post as well, but the very kind and very talented composer working on the soundtrack for "Oh, Brother" has given me the okay to announce him. Also, post the Main Theme, as it is finished. ^.^

So, here is the Main Theme by Sswave; That Magical Girl

It sets the mood for the entire game beautifully. I am incredibly grateful that such a talent offered to compose the music for my project and I hope all of you enjoy it as much as I do.

Work begins again tonight! I hope to have a demo ready in a little over a week (that may be optimistic, but it's what I'm shooting for).