RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Freakin' HP Pavilion...

Gracies New Favorite
Rep:
Level 63
Alright, so I just bought a new school laptop for 800 bucks. It was an HP Pavilion DV6 Model. SILLY ME! I got it out of the box... and there was a wireless failure. I do some research and find that HP sucks with not only customer support, but they suck with tech support. I mean... come on. They suggested a BIOS update to fix a faulty mother board. That was after they wasted my time sending me a new wireless chip for it, and running me through useless troubleshooting. I should have done my research before... I would have found out that you SHOULD NOT buy from HP. Sure, their prices may be a tad lower... But when that makes you pay more to ship it out and replace the freaking motherboard anyway... is it worth it? I doubt it. So, moral of the story; Don't buy from HP. Ever. Whatever planet they make their "computers" on, obviously knows nothing about computers. Anyone think there was a possible fix other then replacing the motherboard? Anyone have the same issues with the same laptop?

Rep:
Level 96
2010 Most Attractive Male Member2010 Best Musician
My dad used to have an HP Pavillion dv6000, and the same thing happened. From what I've read, something in the laptop gets too hot, and the computer doesn't regulate it well enough (doesn't turn on the fans soon enough or something), and it fries the internal wireless adapter. It's absolutely retarded, yes, and my Dad knows nothing about computers, which is why he buys HP computers, BUT there's a very simple and cheap solution.

Buy a USB wireless adapter.

I bought this one for my dad, it's like $15.
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=network+card&hl=en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=4552915842639662978&sa=X&ei=yr8FT5SDLIr00gHC0_ypDA&ved=0CM4BEOUNMAI

Related: he's since given me this old laptop, and got a new one, since it was running slow. I found out it only had 1G of RAM in it. I installed 4Gs, wiped the drive, and installed Windows 7 and now it runs like a charm. Anyway, what I'm saying is, if your HP's really slow, check how much RAM it has.

:tinysmile::tinysmile:

Gracies New Favorite
Rep:
Level 63
Well yeah... That would work. It's just ridiculous that I would have to spend more money after I got faulty equipment from their manufacturer.

Rep:
Level 96
2010 Most Attractive Male Member2010 Best Musician
Yep. Never buy HP. Lesson learned.

:tinysmile::tinysmile:

Gracies New Favorite
Rep:
Level 63
And if you do. Don't expect their "Customer Support" To give a crap when anything happens. They'll tell you to reset your monitor if you're having sound card issues. Not literally, of course... But you get how frustrated I am with them.

Rep:
Level 71

It depends what you get, I had an HP Pavilion once and it sucked though the one I have now (DM4) is pretty good and has never crashed.

Gracies New Favorite
Rep:
Level 63

It depends what you get, I had an HP Pavilion once and it sucked though the one I have now (DM4) is pretty good and has never crashed.

I guess, like you said, it depends on the one you get. And it's not like ALL of the laptops in the series has that problem. But when about 90% do, and they plug their ears and go "NA NA NA NA NA NA NA"... You have to admit that's pretty unprofessional. And it doesn't really show that they care about their customers.

Rep:
Level 88
Unoriginal text here.
Dude. You should look at my thread history in this section. All of those ones about laptop hardware issues had to do with an HP model. Message me if you want a story that truly testifies to the level of pure, refined, concentrated essence of suck that is HP.

And yeah, it's a bad idea to buy from them. It's true that some of their computers work, but buying a laptop should never be a gamble. Not to mention their unethical track record and all of those bad business practices. From covering up mass NVidia malfunctions (and refusing to refund those affected by it) to good ol' fashioned outsourcing, Hewlett-Packard really just has no moral right whatsoever to even exist.

The moral of course, is to research the fuck out of any company you intend to spend three or more digits on.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 09:10:36 PM by Animefan »

Rep:
Level 85
I solve practical problems.
For taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
The only HP laptop i ever had burned me, then proceded to crash my hard drive and delete my stuff >.< lesson learned, now i have a nice acer laptop :3

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
I also have an acer. It is magniferous.

Gracies New Favorite
Rep:
Level 63
My recent one is a Gateway. Another joke there... All but three of the screws have fallen out, including one that's holding on the monitor. The disk drive falls out now, because the hatch broke off... (Thankfully it still works), and it has a severe overheating problem. I really have bad luck with computers...