RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
RPG Maker VX Ace is released! [First impressions]

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2014 Most Unsung Member2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Most Mature Member2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2010 Best Use Of Avatar And Signature Space2010 Favourite Staff Member
From what I could tell, parallaxes are identical to RMVX, with the exception that you can change the parallax of a map in-game through an event command.

if you try & edit my custom title i will hack you
Rep:
Level 66
Im PRO get used to it!
i played the demo with a english patch :mad: but the engine is a complete mix of rmvx and rmxp with some extra features. the Japanese version will be out December 15 and my friend is making a patch for the entire engine.... also there Facebook page posted that the english version will most likely come out but the date is unknown   :rbiggrin:

Spoiler for projects:
God of Darkness
Devils nest
Unnamed Games(2)
The CREW experience

Rep: +0/-0Level 83
Never fear anything.
I think we know by now that RMVX Ace is more powerful scripting wise, but what about the editor itself? How is the map editor, how do tilesets work, are there any new event commands added?

Is the editor more like RMVX or more like RMXP. How is the RTP, is it the same chibi-style RMVX has or more mature like RMXP did?

RMVX did not convince me to abandon RMXP, and so far neither has this new version.

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
2014 Best RPG Maker User - Story2014 Queen of RMRKProject of the Year 20142011 Best Newbie2014 Best RPG Maker User - Creativity2014 Kindest Member2013 Queen of RMRKBronze SS AuthorBronze Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.GOOD!For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best Yuyubabe Smiley2012 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity);o
I think we know by now that RMVX Ace is more powerful scripting wise, but what about the editor itself? How is the map editor, how do tilesets work, are there any new event commands added?

Is the editor more like RMVX or more like RMXP. How is the RTP, is it the same chibi-style RMVX has or more mature like RMXP did?

RMVX did not convince me to abandon RMXP, and so far neither has this new version.

They added in the same tileset system as xp, where you can import and set them up like so. There are a few new commands, especially regarding the built in "follow" or "Caterpiller" party command, as well as the reserve party. The reserve party system they added looks very similar MA's Party Reserve Script to me. And the party can follow the main player around and the active player can be changed, as well via the menu. This can all be stopped with event commands, of course. It also seems there is some kind of character face & sprite generator built in the game. There's also now a "Magic Defense" attribute, which I greatly enjoy that was not in VX. I also believe there is a built-in enemy battler background system, where you can change the background to images when fighting, but I'm not totally sure. I believe you can also have random encounters when on a boat now. I think there's also a character biography system built in, as well as an overall better status screen? I think there's also an "optimize" command in the inventory, but I'm not 100% sure.

The editor seems like a perfect mix between RMVX & RMXP to me. It brings back all the good aspects of xp into vx, with some stuff added. The chibi style is still like vx. The tilesets look a little better then the old vx, as well, in little ways.

That's all I recall for now. I personally believe that Ace is worth it, and I look forward to the full release. :) Hope that was any help.
Spoiler for My Games and Art:
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

The Lhuvia Tales [Current]

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Phoenix Wright: Haunted Turnabout [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

Never fear anything.
Thanks for that information. That has convinced me that it's at least worth checking out.

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
You know, I think its all gonna be okay.
For going the distance for a balanced breakfast.Project of the Month winner for June 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2013 Best WriterSilver Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 Participant
I kinda dig the layering and the tileset options. I also like the built in character generator. Of course, I got the Japanese version and I'm not that hip on kanji, so...
:tinysmile:

Never fear anything.
Tried out the trial today. It's pretty nifty, but the character generator is pretty limited. Also I can't dig the VX-style RTP, but that's more personal taste. I don't know if I will use this often but it looks promising.

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
2014 Best RPG Maker User - Story2014 Queen of RMRKProject of the Year 20142011 Best Newbie2014 Best RPG Maker User - Creativity2014 Kindest Member2013 Queen of RMRKBronze SS AuthorBronze Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.GOOD!For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best Yuyubabe Smiley2012 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity);o
Tried out the trial today. It's pretty nifty, but the character generator is pretty limited. Also I can't dig the VX-style RTP, but that's more personal taste. I don't know if I will use this often but it looks promising.

I heard that the generator may get more detailed in the full version. The vx-style sprites bother me a bit, too, but I think the mack ones are nice in that case ~

I kinda dig the layering and the tileset options. I also like the built in character generator. Of course, I got the Japanese version and I'm not that hip on kanji, so...

There's a fan-made translation patch that makes trying it out loads easier :). In case your interested, you can find it here.
Spoiler for My Games and Art:
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

The Lhuvia Tales [Current]

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Phoenix Wright: Haunted Turnabout [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
You know, I think its all gonna be okay.
For going the distance for a balanced breakfast.Project of the Month winner for June 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2013 Best WriterSilver Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 Participant
I certainly am, and thank you very much!
:tinysmile:

Rep: +0/-0Level 73
Sad Egg
Wow...

There are a lot of new features. Interesting.
Hello, i'm Japanese and my English is broken-

Rep:
Level 71
I just tried it out and I think it's pretty cool, though I dealt I'll buy it.

Rep:
Level 81
What waiting time do we have to expect, for the English release? Also, is it $60 like the last one?
Sincerely

Rep:
Level 85
I am the wood of my broom
2010 Project of the YearProject of the Month winner for January 2010Project of the Month winner for January 2009Project of the Month winner for April 2010
February 90$

Rep:
Level 81
What game mechanics are affected by the new "luck" stat? Is it just there, to be used in the new damage calculations?

Rep:
Level 85
2010 Project of the YearProject of the Month winner for January 2010Project of the Month winner for January 2009Project of the Month winner for April 2010
You can use it for damage calculation whenever you want, but mostly it affects status effect rates. it doesn't affect crit.

moew
Rep:
Level 91
Queen Princess
2013 Most Missed Member2012 Most Missed Member;o hee hee <3For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki
Don't forget that with a new core "worthless" stat it opens up many new possibilities for scripting  and your own musing as to what it should or can do...
:taco: :taco: :taco:

Rep:
Level 81
Will the new RPG Maker feature 3 different layers, like RPG Maker XP?
There are some indications, but I can't find a picture that proves it.

Some YouTube videos say, that VX Ace will only feature 2 layers.
Sincerely

Rep:
Level 85
In a sense it does have 3 layers but you can't control it that much? It's the same as VX.
The 3rd new layer might as well be the region area :P

Rep:
Level 84
Rubber Shark
Layer 1 is for the majority of the A tileset
Layer 2 is for the A autotiles with transparent backgrounds
Layer 3 is everything in B, C, D, and E tilesets

Rep:
Level 81
Perhaps the 3rd layer might also be the layer, you can reach by using ladders?
Ladders are assigned under the tileset flag in the database and allow you to reach "higher" parts of the map.

I saw a YouTube video, where these ladders were used to reach impassable tiles on top of cliff tiles.

Anyway, I think they made a really bad decision. They should have just added 3 regular layers like in XP and everyone would have been fine.
You don't force anyone to use them, but now everyone who wants to do some simple overlapping, has to use the event layer.

This was a major issue, that kept many people from using VX over XP and they could have fixed it with little effort and no disadvantages for less advanced users.

Rep:
Level 85
VXace works extremely fine to me.
Mapping isn't bad either, also the ladder, bush, counter whatever is also in XP. It's one of the tile passabilities.
Ok well Ladder isn't in XP but you get the point :P

And vxace returned a lot of things and improved anyway so  :blizj:
(Like unli tiles for your game and not single anymore, terrain tags, REGIONS, etc.)
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 11:47:17 PM by Nessiah »

Rep:
Level 75
It seems good but what is the point of everything being able to copy over from VX but scripts most of my game would not work with no scripts so there would be no need to copy it over?

Spoiler for:

Spoiler for:
John 3:16: For God loved the world so much that he gave his one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life

Rep:
Level 81
I still think they should have added a layer, that would allow users to layer B - E tiles over one another.
The simple VX system, where you can map without changing layers manually would have still been possible.
I will get VX Ace either way, but it's wasted potential imo.

What's the ingame resolution this time?

Edit: Don't mind me, I found it. It's the same as in VX.

Sincerely
« Last Edit: December 25, 2011, 04:25:27 PM by rofl1337 »

Rep:
Level 85
I still think they should have added a layer, that would allow users to layer B - E tiles over one another.

Region Tiling :D

Rep:
Level 81

Region Tiling :D

Now, don't get my hopes up. Care to explain it to me, using a few pictures? ;D
Sincerely