RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Age of Monsters and Magic

Rep:
Level 91
Am I still cool?
Italic counts as another font. I know it doesn't really make sense, but it does. And they're all serif fonts, too. I do like the portrait, and the way it extrudes from the bounding box on the top though. That looks good.

I think I know what you mean; the italics do look different, afterall.

The entire game is made up of art like in this image. So if you like this portrait, you'll probably like everything else, too. :)
Well, art-wise anyway.

Interested in playing these complete games and checking out more? Go to my website!

Last Stop
Rep:
Level 88
Everyone Off
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 92011 Biggest Drama WhoreBronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
I wish this thread would an heroic

Fuck I don't even think Angry birds is worth money because it's a glorified flashgame. an rm game isn't worth my BANDWIDTH 9 times out of 10 much less ten dollars I could spend on something more important.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 02:29:00 AM by Strike Reyhi »

Rep:
Level 91
Am I still cool?
I wish this thread would an heroic

Fuck I don't even think Angry birds is worth money because it's a glorified flashgame. an rm game isn't worth my BANDWIDTH 9 times out of 10 much less ten dollars I could spend on something more important.

aaaaaaaannnnd we return to the mindless bashing. Thanks for the input.

Interested in playing these complete games and checking out more? Go to my website!

Last Stop
Rep:
Level 88
Everyone Off
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 92011 Biggest Drama WhoreBronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
You are quite welcome, my good sir.

Meet me in the middle
Rep:
Level 89
or left of the dial.
For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam botsSecret Santa 2012 Participant
"an heroic"?
In the English language, the letter H is treated like a vowel. Sometimes it does sound funny, as in this case. Because of the funniness, it has become acceptable to use "a" instead "an" when the first letter of the next word is an H. If I used the word "honorable" instead of "heroic," the sentence wouldn't sound funny at all. ;)

also I don't understand the blue boxes with the class name and stats. it should look the same as the rest of it, the old paper.

poor design.

Think so? I didn't want it to look too plain or boring. I'll consider making it the same parchment style, and compare the before and after to see which looks better.

Yes, I do think so. You have two styles clashing. Futuristic and medieval, don't do that. Change the blues boxes.

And it's common practice to use whatever sounds more grammatically correct.

Rep:
Level 84
This text is way too personal.
Bronze - GIAW 11 (Hard)Silver - GIAW Halloween
An heroic is correct in the "official" Royal English language, while in the American, Australian and English prose bastardisations a heroic is more suitable.

Anyways I don't really care for commercial games, especially ones made in RPG Maker that usually have sloppy encoding, but before posting a topic about a commercial game you might want to get some higher quality images and the like; something that proves that your serious about the commercial aspect of this game and that it really is worth ten dollars. In other words, make your game commercial when you have more to show than just a title screen and a WIP skeleton. The art looks pretty cool, though.

And I really dislike text based adventures.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 02:53:48 AM by cozziekuns »

Last Stop
Rep:
Level 88
Everyone Off
royal english is for pompous cunts.

Rep:
Level 91
Am I still cool?
An heroic is correct in the "official" Royal English language, while in the American, Australian and English prose bastardisations a heroic is more suitable.

Anyways I don't really care for commercial games, especially ones made in RPG Maker that usually have sloppy encoding, but before posting a topic about a commercial game you might want to get some higher quality images and the like; something that proves that your serious about the commercial aspect of this game and that it really is worth ten dollars. In other words, make your game commercial when you have more to show than just a title screen and a WIP skeleton. The art looks pretty cool, though.

And I really dislike text based adventures.

Your advice is well-said. My idea was to start building hype early. So far, that idea has only backfired at RMRK. Anyone else I've spoken to, online or in real-life, about this game has at least left out the insults, with criticisms and concerns being more or less the same.

I feel like mentioning that not everyone here has been insulting, as a number of people have been supportively critical, and a few have just been really nice.

Hey... my name's... Sashikinaroji...
Rep:
Level 83
fear me...
If I used the word "honorable" instead of "heroic," the sentence wouldn't sound funny at all. ;)

That's because honorable starts with an "o" sound, not because it starts with an "h". If a word starts with a vowel sound, it has to be preceded by an "an".

That being said, this lack of basic grammar knowledge concerns me about how many issues with similar issues will be in the text of the game. Honestly, if a game has poor grammar, it absolutely kills my interest, as it distracts me from the story, even if it is a good one.

Imagine if Harry Potter was released with a bunch of spelling and grammar errors. It wouldn't be nearly as well read.

EDIT: Actually, I think that saying "an heroric" is ok if you use heroic as a noun...
Ok, DON'T EXPECT HELP FROM ME~! I will perhaps rant a bit, but don't expect me to do graphics for you, even if I say I will... I won't.

Rep:
Level 91
Am I still cool?
If I used the word "honorable" instead of "heroic," the sentence wouldn't sound funny at all. ;)

That's because honorable starts with an "o" sound, not because it starts with an "h". If a word starts with a vowel sound, it has to be preceded by an "an".

That being said, this lack of basic grammar knowledge concerns me about how many issues with similar issues will be in the text of the game. Honestly, if a game has poor grammar, it absolutely kills my interest, as it distracts me from the story, even if it is a good one.

Imagine if Harry Potter was released with a bunch of spelling and grammar errors. It wouldn't be nearly as well read.

I shouldn't have to explain so many times that it actually is proper grammar. If you want to say it isn't, then you are free to do so. That's called truthiness. But you ought to do some studying.

my name is Timothy what's yours
Rep:
Level 79
Hello
2014 Most Missed Member2014 Zero to Hero2014 Best IRC Quote2012 Zero To HeroSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantContestant - GIAW 9For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Zero to Hero
royal english is for pompous cunts.
How civil of you. Not even the royal English speak royal English. Uh.
it's like a metaphor or something i don't know

Last Stop
Rep:
Level 88
Everyone Off
Exactly, fuck royal english.

Rep:
Level 83
fear me...
well... I guess when it comes down to it, if you want to use royal english, follow ALL of it's rules, or else you're just justifying your mistake so you don't have to change it, nor admit you aren't producing a quality project.
Ok, DON'T EXPECT HELP FROM ME~! I will perhaps rant a bit, but don't expect me to do graphics for you, even if I say I will... I won't.

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
Ya ain't nothing but an hound-dog.

Meet me in the middle
Rep:
Level 89
or left of the dial.
For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam botsSecret Santa 2012 Participant
an herro prease

Last Stop
Rep:
Level 88
Everyone Off
well... I guess when it comes down to it, if you want to use royal english, follow ALL of it's rules, or else you're just justifying your mistake so you don't have to change it, nor admit you aren't producing a quality project.
I think this is the first time that I have ever agreed with you.

Rep:
Level 88
Fight Tha Powah!
I think my biggest issue is the many times you write how good this game is in your presentation, expect people to pay $10 for it when it's done, and the only thing you've got to show is one unfinished, very mediocre looking screenshot of a character status screen.

Spoiler for:
AoMaM is an incredible RPG adventure game made with RMVX. I skillfully have merged all of my most innovative, creative, and pleasurable game concepts into this project, which will result in its being a fantastic game to play once it is finished.

-Great music

-Original, and very awesome, artwork of everything in the game. The artist I've hired is amazing. The many images in the game help to enhance the visual value and enable you to feel even more like you are in a fantasy world.

-Awesome combat system that requires you to use only your relevant traits.

This will be a commercial game. The price will be $10.00. There will of course be a free demo. However, this game's free demo is far more expansive than most other demos you may have played. In this, you will be able to play through the entire game as many times as you want. The limitations are apparent, though, as you will not have access to the artwork, sound test, records, and will only be able to select 1 character, and will always have the same one storyline. Even with those limitations, the game can be played from beginning to end and be very enjoyable, as well as very replayable. It's just that the game is even more enjoyable and replayable if you buy the full version.
Go beyond the impossible, and kick reason to the curb!!

Rep:
Level 83
fear me...
I think my biggest issue is the many times you write how good this game is in your presentation, expect people to pay $10 for it when it's done, and the only thing you've got to show is one unfinished, very mediocre looking screenshot of a character status screen.

Spoiler for:
AoMaM is an incredible RPG adventure game made with RMVX. I skillfully have merged all of my most innovative, creative, and pleasurable game concepts into this project, which will result in its being a fantastic game to play once it is finished.

-Great music

-Original, and very awesome, artwork of everything in the game. The artist I've hired is amazing. The many images in the game help to enhance the visual value and enable you to feel even more like you are in a fantasy world.

This will be a commercial game. The price will be $10.00. There will of course be a free demo. However, this game's free demo is far more expansive than most other demos you may have played. In this, you will be able to play through the entire game as many times as you want. The limitations are apparent, though, as you will not have access to the artwork, sound test, records, and will only be able to select 1 character, and will always have the same one storyline. Even with those limitations, the game can be played from beginning to end and be very enjoyable, as well as very replayable. It's just that the game is even more enjoyable and replayable if you buy the full version.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA- MEEEEEEEEEEEN

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel

Spoiler for:

-Great music

Welcome to the conversation we had two weeks ago. If you're going to continue, please have some new points to bring up, as everything you just said was already stated previously. Thank you.

Rep:
Level 83
fear me...

Spoiler for:

-Great music

Welcome to the conversation we had two weeks ago. If you're going to continue, please have some new points to bring up, as everything you just said was already stated previously. Thank you.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA- MEEEEEEEEEEEN

my name is Timothy what's yours
Rep:
Level 79
Hello
2014 Most Missed Member2014 Zero to Hero2014 Best IRC Quote2012 Zero To HeroSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantContestant - GIAW 9For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Zero to Hero
This topic is an horror.
it's like a metaphor or something i don't know

Rep:
Level 76
Shh, they're listening...
There have been others on this site with aspirations of going commercial and they were met with similar negativity. Pricing is important, knowing your audience is more so. Ask about Aveyond here. That is the most well known of commercial RPGMaker titles. Watch the feedback from that and then you will understand why you received the comments you did.

I couldn't care less if it's commercial or not. I will say that I wouldn't put down $10 for any game made in a hobbyist program. While others have done well enough with higher price points, this doesn't mean it is the norm. $5 is the most I could see paying for any RPGMaker game and honestly I'd only pay that much if it really grabbed me. You haven't shared enough to warrant the enthusiasm you seem to expect.

---
Now onto what is important. This may run a bit long as I haven't seen these points brought up yet and they annoy me.

What is this game about? You have that there are thirty storylines and different endings and characters and whatnot. You have a very basic description of the world. You claim the scope as epic, which would lead one to believe Elder Scrolls amounts of playtime. You are sorely lacking any real information, however.

Where is the conflict, the driving force of the story? Who and what are we meant to care about and why? The blurbs you have on the different classes are stiff and uninteresting. Are these characters only doing their jobs? What's their motivation, what happens that makes the player care enough to play through their story?

You should also explain what your definition of "text-based" is. There are a few types. You also mention board games and card games, which hints at gameplay elements that could take away from the traditional expectation of a text-based adventure. If you're going to tell us what the game is based on, and have such a varied list, tell us how those other things will relate to this one. There is a lot listed in "Features" yet none of it really explains anything.

----
There is nothing presented that I can care about and it's obvious I am not alone - this is bad. If you want people to care about this game as much as you do then you need to give us more. You need something to draw people in and referring to your game as "innovative" or "incredible" is not the way to do it. No one likes a braggart. Give us a summary of the story. A prelude, if you will, as it is text-based I assume you have this sort of thing written up.

Here is an example of how to present your game - Perchance to Dream - by Bunny
There are shorter blurbs for the story in other topics as well. Look around the Project threads for examples.

If you remove the ego-stroking, move the references to how many storylines and whatnot into it's own section (and not in the "Story" section, as people expect to read -about- your story not that it will have one there), and write up a real summary or teaser for the story then maybe you'll get more attention. Or at least not so much negative attention.