RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
the Legend of Zero (Complete, read the info here!)

Rep:
Level 71
RMRK Junior
it's hard to say, I've played through it twice, but as the creator I know everything so I do it a lot faster. I'd estimate around 20ish hours or so. a buddy of mine is around 30 hours or so, but he wastes a ton of time searching for shit. so idk, hard to say exactly. Assume 20 - 25 hours.

Also, just updated the game again.
http://www.mediafire.com/?n8if1hb48a455s6
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 03:00:11 AM by zerothedarklord »

Rep:
Level 76
Praise the Sun (Arcana)
GIAW 14: 1st Place (Hard Mode)
Intense Feedback

Something I don't remember being a problem in the original build, is that Zero's face graphic is surrounded by a black box. So there is something wrong with his image file. I like how you threw in Cless from Tales of Phantasia into the game, but his graphic just clashes with everything else.
And the menu icons seem very random, I don't see what a flower has to do with equipment or what saving has to do with some type of metal ingot. The interior of the equipment shop in the first town needs a lot of work, on the entire right side there isn't a wall. I'm kind of confused as to why I start with those flowers in my inventory, should I hang onto them? Because they do fetch a good price at a vendor so I just sold them to one. The Wood Chopper has an ice slash animation, what's that about? And you can't chop the tree with the Chopper equipped, only when it's in your inventory. The merchant caravan also needs a bit of work. A problem you're having with some maps is that you're making them big, but having nothing to fill it with. I've probably said this before, but who knows. Just keep the maps small if you aren't going to put anything in it.
The Talent Tree is still cool though.
The Caravan vendor stands backwords until you talk to her, that mountain side must be pretty fancy. Lol! And you named the Priest, Father Cornello. I'm hoping that's an FMA reference. The fire place is pretty difficult. And I ran around the maze thinking I was going the right way, but stumbled upon a Battle Axe, I would say this is a cool thing, but the axe isn't much better than the Wood Chopper, and I still have to run all the way back. But then I fought the Flame Sorceress and she dropped an awesome Flame Shield, I like how there are many different pieces of equipment to buy and find, it makes the game a lot more enjoyable.
The Day/Night cycle is pretty annoying, since you can't buy stuff at night, I just do a lot of boring grinding until I can get some supplies.
I'm very overpowered at the moment, since I had to circle the maze so many times grinding and getting supplies, so enemies don't hurt me. I have 200 something defense so enemies either hit 1 or nothing. Oh, and the fire dungeon is annoyingly large, with nothing interesting to see, so it's kind of a chore to go through it.
I'm going to wrap this feedback up once I'm done with the dungeon, so let's keep this text block going. These deadends are making me rage. I can only hope the other dungeons have more interesting design. The boss was pretty difficult, only since I don't have much mana, but now I gotta run all the way back through the maze to get to where the switch opened up. I hope I don't get lost. I'm trying to fight through, but the constant deadends, inability to constantly sprint, easy monsters, and a boring dungeon, it's hard to keep playing the game. I will finish this dungeon though, as I know that if I try later, I'll forget where I need to go. I change my mind, I came in full circle in the dungeon and ragequit. Sorry bro, but if this is how just the first dungeon is, I honestly don't want to know what awaits further in the game. Please rethink your approach to dungeon design, because when you playtest, having the ability to know exactly where to go, being able to go through walls and essentially being the game's creator you have a different perception of what the game may be. For me, this single dungeon is a turn off, and I can't see myself playing for the rest of the game knowing I've spent around a hour in this one zone. Fix the game please, because your ideas are working, the presentation is not.

Rep:
Level 71
RMRK Junior
fix? it's been done for a while, not overhauling something I finished. if it's bad, it's bad, it was my first game, idk why you're expecting perfection. I appreciate the feedback, I can say that so far, the 2nd game is looking significantly better, maps look a bit better. A few of the dungeon maps are kinda boring, but they're not bad for the most part. More work is likely to go into them. Sorry you didn't like it, guess we'll see if you like the next one. I learned quite a bit from making the first one, and as bad as it may be, I have no intention of changing it, as updating it would take away from it having been my first experience. If it's a failure, so be it.

As I had mentioned earlier, the 2nd game so far is already quite a bit better, it sounds like your primary concern was map layout..... in the 2nd game, with the exception of 1 dungeon, they're all multiple-map dungeons, so they're not so bad. I also admit, in this first game, I used the dungeon generator and didn't make many changes beyond the randomly generated dungeon (not that that is hard to notice, lol). In the 2nd game, I did that to start with, and then made several visual changes, so it should be a lot better.

Is there anything else you'd care to throw in? Potential ideas or suggestions to consider in the creation of my 2nd game?

oh, lol, and yeah, it's a fullmetal alchemist reference, of course.

Rep:
Level 76
Praise the Sun (Arcana)
Honestly, the very first dungeon is the only thing that made me dislike the game. There were so many great ideas you had, but if I struggle to play through the initial dungeon, for a reason that isn't difficulty, then I cannot continue playing. I wasn't expecting the game to be perfect and I remember you telling me it was your first game, but you released the game in the state that it had been, so I had to be as truthful as possible since the editing period had been called to an end.
Even though this was your first game, I had the expectation that you'd at least realize the annoyance of that single dungeon. I think that you probably did that generator thing, and kinda just skipped the playthrough of the dungeon and continued with the game. Dungeon Generator is an excellent device, I actually use it sometimes, but you need to go back into it and make in interesting, and try to be in the player's shoes.

I hope you can put up some info on your next game (Unless that's not the Minotaur game) because I'd really like to see it.

Rep:
Level 71
RMRK Junior
lol, honestly, from your description, it sounds like you were nearly finished with the first dungeon. not gonna lie, that cave is the most annoying one in the game. there's like 99999 more dead ends and shit in that one than in any of the other ones, lmfao. I strongly suggest you get through it and finish the game before playing the 2nd one.

Anyway! yeah, it's the minotaur one. Working really hard on it trying to make it a sick game.

Rep:
Level 76
Praise the Sun (Arcana)
Maybe on the weekend I'll continue playing the game. I felt like I was done with the dungeon, but then I just went in a circle and didn't feel like playing anymore.
But in that dungeon I noticed  a closed gate near the entrance to the cave. But I also saw an exit in the far top right hand corner. I was closer to that corner, so was I actually going the right way?

Rep:
Level 71
RMRK Junior
the exit is in the top-right corner. the one near the beginning leads to a chest with a valuable item inside.

Rep:
Level 76
Praise the Sun (Arcana)
Well I finally got around to finishing that cave. I'm in a desert city now... Slowly I approach completion.

Rep:
Level 71
RMRK Junior
nice, so it sounds like you've basically finished the game then.

Rep:
Level 76
Praise the Sun (Arcana)
Um... you sure?

Rep:
Level 71
RMRK Junior
lol, totally kidding bro, if you're only at the 2nd town, you're only like an inch into the game.

but yeah, how's it goin?

Rep:
Level 71
RMRK Junior
Game download link has been updated as well as fixes made.