RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
the Legend of Zero (Complete, read the info here!)

Rep:
Level 71
RMRK Junior
the Legend of Zero:

Info:
Zero, a young man of a mere 17 years, lives in a small village with his parents and his older brother. His brother sets out on an adventure, or so he tells his parents and brother. But really, he has plans of his own in mind. Shortly after his departure from the village, his body is returned, as he was apparently ambushed and killed by a pack of bandits not far from his destination. The story begins with Zero 1 year after these events, seeking justice on the bandits. During the opening scene, you view one of Zero's childhood friends, a Fairy, who lives in a cave at the local graveyard. The fairy has three sisters, which can join your party a little bit later on in the game, should you choose to help them.

Game Rating: T for Teen

Characters:
There isn't a lot of info about the characters, but what there is is explained within the opening to the game. There are 7 playable characters total, so the game would require 2 play throughs to use them all.

Villains:
There are four main villains within the game, one encountered earlier within the game while the rest are each encountered later on. Only two of them, however, really seem like villains, as the others aren't in the game for that long.

Download Link:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/38b117okxf7qq6a/Legend_of_Zero.exe

Scripts Used:
Too many, there were a ton! (And I saved them with different names than the originals so I remembered what they did)

Script Credits:
BIG thanks to KCG (or KGC, I've seen it both ways), Zylos, Modern Algebra, Jens009, Leongon, Jet10985, Falcao, Synthesize and Blackmorning.

Screenshots are in posts 20, 21 and 22, and there is no demo, the game is completed.

Bug Fix notes:

- there was a minor bug fix, this is the new download link.

- More bug fixes, download link changed again.

- another bug fix, download link changed once more

- another major fix, did some re-tuning and buffing, etc.

*****THE GAME HAS NOT BEEN THOROUGHLY TESTED, I ONLY FULLY PLAYED THROUGH IT ONCE, SO IT IS LIKELY BUGS WILL BE FOUND. IF/WHEN ONE IS FOUND, PLEASE REPORT IT EITHER IN A PM TO ME, OR HERE ON THE THREAD*****
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 08:12:15 PM by zerothedarklord »

Rep:
Level 76
Praise the Sun (Arcana)
GIAW 14: 1st Place (Hard Mode)
Oh, so this game IS finished. Alright, I'll play a bit more of it then and come back with that snazzy feedback.

FEEDBACK EDIT:
The mapping could use a little more detail especially the church and the Merchant Caravan, but the story is well told. When I got into battle and heard that Tales of Phantasia tune I cried (jk) my favorite jrpg of all time, actually in the forest outside of town there was the Tales of Phantasia Overworld Theme. The talent system is really cool as well. The colored item text is a nice addition as well. The experience, though, was a bit high, I leveled to 4 after 4 fights. And I remember getting a Game Over in the daytime when I went back home, It seems pretty unnecessary (maybe I didn't read everything as I didn't know that would happen). It took me a while to find out I needed to chop down that tree in the forest, but it's a nice little puzzle and the water bucket part was cool too. Another problem is that you begin with a ton of money, allowing you to buy all the best armor at the start of the game, which results in enemies doing little to no damage. I slammed the Living Fire by spamming the Ice Attack then using the insanely OP icy regeneration. So, that's about it, I'm still playing the game atm.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 01:03:47 AM by hiromu656 »

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
Should make a better post.

Rep:
Level 71
RMRK Junior
it's intended that way really, it's the beginning of the game. if you're not a retard, you'll pick the best stuff and know what to get.
The church serves not overly significant purpose, nothing special there, lol
yeah, I jizzed at the thought of using ToP and Golden Sun music, amazing games. Exp begins insanely high then slows way the hell down.

Try the beginning again going melee enhancement, I promise it isn't as easy.

Oh, and yeah dude, I'm fucking awful at map construction, if you couldn't tell.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 01:48:33 AM by zerothedarklord »

Rep:
Level 76
Praise the Sun (Arcana)
Yeah it got pretty difficult when I got to the Fire Cave past the Caravan.

Rep:
Level 71
RMRK Junior
that was the plan! haha, how do you like the 'rare enemy' thing? that was one of my favorite additions, as well as the music changing.

my name is Timothy what's yours
Rep:
Level 79
Hello
2014 Most Missed Member2014 Zero to Hero2014 Best IRC Quote2012 Zero To HeroSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantContestant - GIAW 9For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Zero to Hero
it's intended that way really, it's the beginning of the game. if you're not a retard, you'll pick the best stuff and know what to get.
That's not how it works. I know that I'm not downloading your game anytime soon because your post is ill-made. I don't care how far into development this is (if it's finished, it shouldn't be in New Projects) because I, being human, judge things by how I see them first. Make a good first show of the project, you'll get so much more help and support.
it's like a metaphor or something i don't know

Rep:
Level 74
I'm baaack!
This game sounds good so I'm trying it however, usually when I play an RM game they start off WAY to hard for me, or use the classic battle system which I dislike because of it's uglyness and lack of skill required. I'm going to try it and give you feedback sometime soon.  :D

Rep:
Level 71
RMRK Junior
That's not how it works. I know that I'm not downloading your game anytime soon because your post is ill-made. I don't care how far into development this is (if it's finished, it shouldn't be in New Projects) because I, being human, judge things by how I see them first. Make a good first show of the project, you'll get so much more help and support.

nobody's got a gun to your head pal, don't wanna try it, don't try it, plain and simple.

Rep:
Level 74
I'm baaack!
I don't know why he makes comments like that...

BUT ANYWAYS!!!!! You know how I said I HATE the classic battle system? Well somehow you mysteriously made it EXTREMLY FUN with that horrible battle system but I died versing a fire sorcerous and I forgot to save so I'm at the very beginning... :(

Rep:
Level 71
RMRK Junior
I made it fun, did I? How'd I manage to do that?

my name is Timothy what's yours
Rep:
Level 79
Hello
2014 Most Missed Member2014 Zero to Hero2014 Best IRC Quote2012 Zero To HeroSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantContestant - GIAW 9For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Zero to Hero
I'm not attacking you, I'm offering you advice. This is an exaggeration, but people won't get your game if the OP says:
Oh hai gais i finished my gaim you can download it [-url=Broken Link]herez[/url].
Trust me, using the post templates attract more potential downloads, critique and support.
it's like a metaphor or something i don't know

Rep:
Level 71
RMRK Junior
new version is up, there are probably still a few more bugs though, please report them if you find any.

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
I don't have expectations, but you're going to lose a lot of potential plays by having a shitty initial post. Unless your game looks like shit, then its probably a good idea to not give too much information.

Rep:
Level 71
RMRK Junior
yeah, I'll probably go back and change it and make it better once I get most of the bugs worked out of the game itself, don't want it to look super amazing and awesome and then have people reporting bugs left and right and lose interest because it looked cool but had a fuck ton of bugs in it. I'm not planning on including a whole lot of information about it, but I'll write a little about the story and main character.

Rep:
Level 71
RMRK Junior
I fixed my opening post, and I updated the download link again with another bug fix.

Rep:
Level 71
RMRK Junior
Just got back to my game and revamped it a bit, made a few changes and a few bug fixes. If anyone is interested in playing through it, please let me know and please give any feed back you may have.

WARNING: This game was ALREADY finished,  I just went and did a few bug fixes and minor changes, the maps still look fairly bad, as this is/was my first game, I have no intention of overhauling the entire game to update or change it, it's been done and is remaining done. If you are disappointed with anything, please bring it to my attention and I'll try my best to make it better in the next game. There is a sequel in the works and it's hinted at very slightly at the conclusion of this one.

Download link is up to date!
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 09:00:45 PM by zerothedarklord »

Rep:
Level 85
I solve practical problems.
For taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
Why no screenies?

Rep:
Level 71
RMRK Junior
lol, just download it and play it if you wanna see it!

Also, I can't take screenshots, I would love to get a few up, but I can't ><
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 08:23:52 PM by zerothedarklord »

Rep:
Level 76
Praise the Sun (Arcana)
Just turn on the game, press Print Screen, copy and paste into Paint, then shrink the size down to your game window and upload the screenshot. There's other ways of course, but I think you need to visually display the game

Rep:
Level 71
RMRK Junior
Here's a screenshot!

This is one of the final encounters available in the game.

Rep:
Level 71
RMRK Junior
Another Screenshot!

Rep:
Level 71
RMRK Junior
One more Screenshot! This is the biggest decision you make in the entire game.

Rep:
Level 71
RMRK Junior
How's the game everyone? Anyone finding any bugs or issues?

Rep:
Level 76
Praise the Sun (Arcana)
Can you make an approximation of the length of this game. So I can balance it in my Rpg schedule?

Rep:
Level 71
RMRK Junior
it's hard to say, I've played through it twice, but as the creator I know everything so I do it a lot faster. I'd estimate around 20ish hours or so. a buddy of mine is around 30 hours or so, but he wastes a ton of time searching for shit. so idk, hard to say exactly. Assume 20 - 25 hours.

Also, just updated the game again.
http://www.mediafire.com/?n8if1hb48a455s6
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 03:00:11 AM by zerothedarklord »

Rep:
Level 76
Praise the Sun (Arcana)
Intense Feedback

Something I don't remember being a problem in the original build, is that Zero's face graphic is surrounded by a black box. So there is something wrong with his image file. I like how you threw in Cless from Tales of Phantasia into the game, but his graphic just clashes with everything else.
And the menu icons seem very random, I don't see what a flower has to do with equipment or what saving has to do with some type of metal ingot. The interior of the equipment shop in the first town needs a lot of work, on the entire right side there isn't a wall. I'm kind of confused as to why I start with those flowers in my inventory, should I hang onto them? Because they do fetch a good price at a vendor so I just sold them to one. The Wood Chopper has an ice slash animation, what's that about? And you can't chop the tree with the Chopper equipped, only when it's in your inventory. The merchant caravan also needs a bit of work. A problem you're having with some maps is that you're making them big, but having nothing to fill it with. I've probably said this before, but who knows. Just keep the maps small if you aren't going to put anything in it.
The Talent Tree is still cool though.
The Caravan vendor stands backwords until you talk to her, that mountain side must be pretty fancy. Lol! And you named the Priest, Father Cornello. I'm hoping that's an FMA reference. The fire place is pretty difficult. And I ran around the maze thinking I was going the right way, but stumbled upon a Battle Axe, I would say this is a cool thing, but the axe isn't much better than the Wood Chopper, and I still have to run all the way back. But then I fought the Flame Sorceress and she dropped an awesome Flame Shield, I like how there are many different pieces of equipment to buy and find, it makes the game a lot more enjoyable.
The Day/Night cycle is pretty annoying, since you can't buy stuff at night, I just do a lot of boring grinding until I can get some supplies.
I'm very overpowered at the moment, since I had to circle the maze so many times grinding and getting supplies, so enemies don't hurt me. I have 200 something defense so enemies either hit 1 or nothing. Oh, and the fire dungeon is annoyingly large, with nothing interesting to see, so it's kind of a chore to go through it.
I'm going to wrap this feedback up once I'm done with the dungeon, so let's keep this text block going. These deadends are making me rage. I can only hope the other dungeons have more interesting design. The boss was pretty difficult, only since I don't have much mana, but now I gotta run all the way back through the maze to get to where the switch opened up. I hope I don't get lost. I'm trying to fight through, but the constant deadends, inability to constantly sprint, easy monsters, and a boring dungeon, it's hard to keep playing the game. I will finish this dungeon though, as I know that if I try later, I'll forget where I need to go. I change my mind, I came in full circle in the dungeon and ragequit. Sorry bro, but if this is how just the first dungeon is, I honestly don't want to know what awaits further in the game. Please rethink your approach to dungeon design, because when you playtest, having the ability to know exactly where to go, being able to go through walls and essentially being the game's creator you have a different perception of what the game may be. For me, this single dungeon is a turn off, and I can't see myself playing for the rest of the game knowing I've spent around a hour in this one zone. Fix the game please, because your ideas are working, the presentation is not.

Rep:
Level 71
RMRK Junior
fix? it's been done for a while, not overhauling something I finished. if it's bad, it's bad, it was my first game, idk why you're expecting perfection. I appreciate the feedback, I can say that so far, the 2nd game is looking significantly better, maps look a bit better. A few of the dungeon maps are kinda boring, but they're not bad for the most part. More work is likely to go into them. Sorry you didn't like it, guess we'll see if you like the next one. I learned quite a bit from making the first one, and as bad as it may be, I have no intention of changing it, as updating it would take away from it having been my first experience. If it's a failure, so be it.

As I had mentioned earlier, the 2nd game so far is already quite a bit better, it sounds like your primary concern was map layout..... in the 2nd game, with the exception of 1 dungeon, they're all multiple-map dungeons, so they're not so bad. I also admit, in this first game, I used the dungeon generator and didn't make many changes beyond the randomly generated dungeon (not that that is hard to notice, lol). In the 2nd game, I did that to start with, and then made several visual changes, so it should be a lot better.

Is there anything else you'd care to throw in? Potential ideas or suggestions to consider in the creation of my 2nd game?

oh, lol, and yeah, it's a fullmetal alchemist reference, of course.

Rep:
Level 76
Praise the Sun (Arcana)
Honestly, the very first dungeon is the only thing that made me dislike the game. There were so many great ideas you had, but if I struggle to play through the initial dungeon, for a reason that isn't difficulty, then I cannot continue playing. I wasn't expecting the game to be perfect and I remember you telling me it was your first game, but you released the game in the state that it had been, so I had to be as truthful as possible since the editing period had been called to an end.
Even though this was your first game, I had the expectation that you'd at least realize the annoyance of that single dungeon. I think that you probably did that generator thing, and kinda just skipped the playthrough of the dungeon and continued with the game. Dungeon Generator is an excellent device, I actually use it sometimes, but you need to go back into it and make in interesting, and try to be in the player's shoes.

I hope you can put up some info on your next game (Unless that's not the Minotaur game) because I'd really like to see it.

Rep:
Level 71
RMRK Junior
lol, honestly, from your description, it sounds like you were nearly finished with the first dungeon. not gonna lie, that cave is the most annoying one in the game. there's like 99999 more dead ends and shit in that one than in any of the other ones, lmfao. I strongly suggest you get through it and finish the game before playing the 2nd one.

Anyway! yeah, it's the minotaur one. Working really hard on it trying to make it a sick game.

Rep:
Level 76
Praise the Sun (Arcana)
Maybe on the weekend I'll continue playing the game. I felt like I was done with the dungeon, but then I just went in a circle and didn't feel like playing anymore.
But in that dungeon I noticed  a closed gate near the entrance to the cave. But I also saw an exit in the far top right hand corner. I was closer to that corner, so was I actually going the right way?

Rep:
Level 71
RMRK Junior
the exit is in the top-right corner. the one near the beginning leads to a chest with a valuable item inside.

Rep:
Level 76
Praise the Sun (Arcana)
Well I finally got around to finishing that cave. I'm in a desert city now... Slowly I approach completion.

Rep:
Level 71
RMRK Junior
nice, so it sounds like you've basically finished the game then.

Rep:
Level 76
Praise the Sun (Arcana)
Um... you sure?

Rep:
Level 71
RMRK Junior
lol, totally kidding bro, if you're only at the 2nd town, you're only like an inch into the game.

but yeah, how's it goin?

Rep:
Level 71
RMRK Junior
Game download link has been updated as well as fixes made.