RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[XP] 'RGSS Player Has Stopped Working'-Windows 7 Error Report[Resolved]

Rep: +0/-0Level 71
RMRK Junior
 I'm pretty sure this is the right spot for this topic. If it's not then I apologize, but you know what they say- nothing ventured, nothing gained. Anyways, back on topic.
 My RGSS player didn't have any problems for a while. Unfortunately it's started glitching out on me again. I tried reinstalling the RGSS player, but I still have the same problem.
 I can't figure out how to fix it because the ever lovely Windows doesn't tell me what part of the game is crashing. There's always the error report, unfortunately I couldn't understand it, so I was hoping someone could help me with that.

Here is the overview of a error report from a RGSS crash.

Log Name:      Application
Source:        Application Error
Date:          06/04/2011 2:58:41 AM
Event ID:      1000
Task Category: (100)
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      Talia-VAIO
Description:
Faulting application name: Game.exe, version: 1.0.0.1, time stamp: 0x40d19497
Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0093b530
Faulting process id: 0xc0c
Faulting application start time: 0x01cbf4280f90f1c7
Faulting application path: C:\Users\Talia\Documents\My Games\Vacant Sky Vol 1 Contention\Game.exe
Faulting module path: unknown
Report Id: 4d9a5252-601b-11e0-98ca-54424968f629
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Application Error" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>100</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-04-06T06:58:41.000000000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>5871</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>Talia-VAIO</Computer>
    <Security />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data>Game.exe</Data>
    <Data>1.0.0.1</Data>
    <Data>40d19497</Data>
    <Data>unknown</Data>
    <Data>0.0.0.0</Data>
    <Data>00000000</Data>
    <Data>c0000005</Data>
    <Data>0093b530</Data>
    <Data>c0c</Data>
    <Data>01cbf4280f90f1c7</Data>
    <Data>C:\Users\Talia\Documents\My Games\Vacant Sky Vol 1 Contention\Game.exe</Data>
    <Data>unknown</Data>
    <Data>4d9a5252-601b-11e0-98ca-54424968f629</Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 10:59:13 PM by modern algebra »

my name is Timothy what's yours
Rep:
Level 79
Hello
2014 Best IRC Quote2014 Zero to Hero2014 Most Missed Member2012 Zero To HeroSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantContestant - GIAW 9For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Zero to Hero
RGSS/XP isn't intended to run on Windows 7. It's not even built for Vista. Yeah. I can't tell you much else; as a human my knowledge is limited. Enjoy twiddling your thumbs until someone who can help you does. Until then...
:we need a thumb twiddling emoticon:
it's like a metaphor or something i don't know

RMRK Junior
Agreed. I hate windows 7. It would be so useful if they put the reason for the crash somewhere easy to find and comprehend...

Rep:
Level 84
Yes, hoh my gawd!
Try running it as admin? Thats my only guess. I'm on windows 7 and RMXP runs just fine for me. Ran fine for me on Vista too.

my name is Timothy what's yours
Rep:
Level 79
Hello
2014 Best IRC Quote2014 Zero to Hero2014 Most Missed Member2012 Zero To HeroSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantContestant - GIAW 9For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Zero to Hero
That's weird, it didn't work for me.
it's like a metaphor or something i don't know

RMRK Junior
Running it as an admin didn't work, thanks for the suggestion though :). RMXP ran just fine when I had vista, and it worked for a while with windows 7. Something just changed. It was probably something in one of their stupid software updates. ???

Rep:
Level 76
Praise the Sun (Arcana)
GIAW 14: 1st Place (Hard Mode)
Luckily for you ( I hope ) I have this snazzy tutorial. It's a Vista tutorial but supposedly it works for Windows 7 as well, take a gander.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKVkA1FM-fw

Rep:
Level 82
Here's the little trick I learned that is left out of all them tuts for compatibility issues with Vista/7.
I just got Windows 7 x64 and was having problems (I had Vista before it and had no problem).

You need to set the installer to run in Compatibility Mode for XP before installing. I was installing the game and then setting the executable for it, and it didn't work. For some reason everyone fails to mention that it has to be set for the installation, not afterwards.

1. Set the setup file to run in compatibility mode for Windows XP Service Pack 2.
2. Install.
3. Run as administrator.
4. Done.

You may have to do a clean install. By this I mean removing the current program, and deleting the registry keys associated with it.

RMRK Junior
 This may be sad, but I've never actually figured out how to safely delete the right registry key. How do you tell which one it is?
 Thanks for the suggestion hiromu. I'll try it next. Hopefully it works. ^-^

Rep:
Level 82
I use CCleaner and do a registry scan, look through the results, and delete the ones associated with RMXP.

You can also simply open registry by typing "regedit" in the Run box. From here do a search for "Enterbrain". There will be multiple folders. Delete them all.

I'm not sure how critical it is to do this, but I do i anyway. You can try to do without it, but if it doesn't work, clean the values out of the registry.

Hope this was helpful!

RMRK Junior
 I would have thought deleting so many things in your registry would be bad for the computer, but I guess it doesn't matter if you're deleting the program anyways...
 Thanks to all your help my problem has finally been solved! Yay! :lol: hiromu656's solution worked. It never occurred to me to try changing the settings right in the Enterbrain folder. Now I can go back to playing with the game settings...
Thank you. 

Rep:
Level 76
Praise the Sun (Arcana)
GIAW 14: 1st Place (Hard Mode)
I'm glad it works, have fun :)