RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Setting a Laptop Sideways

Rep:
Level 88
Unoriginal text here.
After sending my computer in to have the ticking noise removed, it came back with the ticking noise still intact, and several additional damages on the bottom. So after expressing that I'd rather send the computer to an angry lion than the repair center again, the case manager, sympathetic with my problems, elected to send yet another laptop to replace that one. The same model as before though.

Now if I hear a ticking noise again, fuck it. I'm keeping this one anyway. But what I want to know is... is it possible that the ticking noise could've resulted from an internal part falling out of place? And could an internal part fall out of place if I turn the folded-up laptop in the wrong sideways direction?

My laptop bag is back-pack style. So the laptop goes, not just on its side, but also vertical. Is it possible that this system is so cheaply built that putting it in sideways-vertical could cause an internal part to slip loose to create the ticking noise?

This is probably a really stupid question and the answer is probably "No" because laptops are supposed to be designed to be portable. But on the other hand, they ARE rather cheaply built especially from big corporations, so I figured it's worth asking.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 10:42:43 PM by Animefan »

You zetta sons of digits.
Rep:
Level 91
SMEEEEE HEEEEEE
It could just be a hard drive with a loud seeking noise

Rep:
Level 84
Is a New Zealander
I'm much too lazy to put an actual signature here.

Rep:
Level 88
Unoriginal text here.
It could just be a hard drive with a loud seeking noise
I suppose that could make sense. In the last laptop they replaced a few things but one of the things they DIDN'T replace was the hard drive.

Resident Cloud
Rep:
Level 91
Your body makes noises, you ignore them.

Ignore any computer noises unless they are Buzzing or Grinding. if its buzzing your probably gonna be electrocuted for investigating it. If its grinding, backup your files your hard drive is probably wiping itself.

Last Stop
Rep:
Level 88
Everyone Off
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 92011 Biggest Drama WhoreBronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
Yes. You See all laptops have this part in them that falls off if put vertical. NEVER PUT A LAPTOP VERTICAL. IT WILL WIPE YOUR DATA AND THEN EXPLODE.