RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
God is dead

Rep:
Level 85
I solve practical problems.
For taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
no, not in a literal sense... Okay, lets rephrase that statement, religion is dead, agree disagree?

And, good ol  Nietzsche has something to say on the matter

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. How shall we comfort ourselves, the murderers of all murderers? What was holiest and mightiest of all that the world has yet owned has bled to death under our knives: who will wipe this blood off us? What water is there for us to clean ourselves? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we have to invent? Is not the greatness of this deed too great for us? Must we ourselves not become gods simply to appear worthy of it? too great for us?     
 â€”Nietzsche, The Gay Science, Section 125, tr. Walter Kaufmann

I agree with this, what about the rest of you?

RMRK's Mom
Rep:
Level 88
I intend to live forever - so far so good.
2014 Most Missed Member2013 Most Mature Member2013 Kindest Member2013 Queen of RMRK2013 Best CounselBronze SS AuthorBronze Writing Reviewer2012 Kindest Member2012 Best Counselluv u bb <3Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantFor taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2010 Kindest Member
Here we go again. 

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
2013 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)Randomizer - GIAW 11Gold - GIAW 11 (Hard)Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantGold - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for September 2008For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2011 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2011 Kindest Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Best RPG Maker User (Events)2010 Best RPG Maker User (Story)
According to Nietzsche, the idea is that God and religion (mostly aimed at Christianity but applicable to all) itself is merely a concept man has created in his insecurity. The "death of God" would be an individual no longer believing in his religion, thus it would be the death of the idea of God. In that particular paragraph, Nietzsche was pointing out though that morals should still exist even without religion. It would merely be up to mankind to decide right from wrong, to "take the role of God" onto ourselves.

That said, I think it's more an individual matter for whether religion is "dead or alive" to someone, so you can have all sorts of people agree or disagree with you and everyone would, in a sense, be correct in their own way. Not too much to debate here unless you wish to argue that God(s) do(es) not exist, which is already done in a different topic I believe.

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
You know, I think its all gonna be okay.
For going the distance for a balanced breakfast.Project of the Month winner for June 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2013 Best WriterSilver Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 Participant
Nietzche's statement rang particulary true for me as I studied and eventually converted to Wicca. Taking on the role of God is a central concept in many religions and philosophies, but one that many who were raised monotheist have trouble with- either because God being within is alien, or because the subject is too heretical to even broach. It is worth noting here that in the systems I am familiar with, taking the role of God simply means that you no longer see the Divine as outside the self; rather we have the capacity for divinity within.

Many have argued that assumung the mantle of divinity is the definition of hubris, but I disagree because hubris is to think of one's self as above god, a la the Fall of Lucifer story in the Holy Bible, and to recognise one's divinity is to see the power that we hold within regardless of what any organisation or individual may tell us. If Zylos is correct, then, and he's a pretty smart dude, it is my opinion that God is not dead, because even betweeen a Wiccan and a Christian god is still there, still a driving force in both lives albeit from two polar opposite veiwpoints.   
:tinysmile:

Rep:
Level 96
2010 Most Attractive Male Member2010 Best Musician
I'm sure Zylos is correct. I've only read parts of Nietzsche's "the Birth of Tragedy," but the undertones are very similar. Greeks knew of the terrifying mystical oneness of non-existence, so they erected the god Dionysos to embody this (the universal oneness, revelry, chaos), and then erected the god "Apollo" (order, tranquility, individuality) to oppose it.  Nietzsche's book is really about how the discordant marriage of these two gods made way for Greek tragedy, and higher forms of artistic expression (combining chaos and order, like dissonance and harmony in music), but it has those "god(s) isn't/aren't real" undertones with it, and people jump on that and ignore everything else he's trying to say.

Nietzsche is a very eccentric writer.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 10:57:21 PM by arlen »

:tinysmile::tinysmile:

Rep:
Level 85
I solve practical problems.
For taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
You got that right

Rep: +0/-0Level 73
Boat Captain
When I look at religion I see more religion branched from it. In that sense religion is like a tree, some people try to climb to the very top and look at the people trying to climb up to their level. But no matter how much they climb, it isn't their tree. What fruit could they gain from religion? There is no fruit in religion. It is a dead tree.
If you make me your enemy, you're making the whole world your enemy! Do you realize that, Ryu?

- Myria

Rep:
Level 71
Niga says Hello!
Young friends, why is we discussing such things when we know the answers? In Niga we have a saying about this subject we speak, it translate English is: be and let be.

Som Niga's believe and som Niga's dont, but that dont not mean we two Niga's cant hunt, trade and laugh with our companion. Your white man culture is very big and strong, but you have a lot to learn my young friends.

From your Niga friend,

Uruguay

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
Niga be trippin.

Rep:
Level 88
Illuminaudio
GOD IS DEAD
AND NO ONE CARES
IF THERE IS A HELL,
I'LL SEE YOU THERE

Rep:
Level 74
I'm baaack!
I agree with what Bayard said. My reason is that I believe the universe was created by the big bang, not god, and I don't believe in religion. I think religion is just a way for people to explain unexplainable things. Hence, I don't think god ever existed

Meet me in the middle
Rep:
Level 89
or left of the dial.
For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam botsSecret Santa 2012 Participant
GOD IS DEAD
AND NO ONE CARES
IF THERE IS A HELL,
I'LL SEE YOU THERE
Tired of seeing posts like these, "here we go again" and other assorted bullshit in these threads. This board is called Elitist Debate. If you don't agree with what the OP is arguing either refute or simply don't post, instead of making retarded comments.

my name is Timothy what's yours
Rep:
Level 79
Hello
2014 Best IRC Quote2014 Zero to Hero2014 Most Missed Member2012 Zero To HeroSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantContestant - GIAW 9For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Zero to Hero
If god wanted me to believe in him, why doesn't he tell me himself?
it's like a metaphor or something i don't know

Rep:
Level 70
RMRK Junior
Are we sure that it was God that was dead?  Did anyone check his Wallet?
Heretic's Vehicles XP (Boat and Magic Carpet)

Heretic's Collection XP Ver 2.3 - Updated to include Dynamic Lighting, Moving Platforms, Vehicles, and much much more!

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
2013 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)Randomizer - GIAW 11Gold - GIAW 11 (Hard)Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantGold - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for September 2008For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2011 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2011 Kindest Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Best RPG Maker User (Events)2010 Best RPG Maker User (Story)
Iunno if God's dead or not, but I wish this thread would die already.

Rep:
Level 63
De Faalboot - The Failboat
Who's God? :)
~~De Faalboot

Biggest of them all

~Silmar's Shadow~
http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,44500.0.html

Rep:
Level 88
Unoriginal text here.
"Nietzsche is dead."
-God

Rep:
Level 98
2010 Best Veteran2014 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2014 King of RMRK2014 Favorite Staff Member2014 Best Counsel2014 Best Writer2014 Most Mature Member2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.Secret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Best Counsel2011 Best Writer2010 Best IRC Chatterbox2010 Best Writer
i'm tired of seeing this dumb topic crop up once or twice a month.
you awoke in a burning paperhouse
from the infinite fields of dreamless sleep