RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Image Expansion

Rep:
Level 88
Unoriginal text here.
Yes yes I know. But I don't know any other forums that have a section like this one where people can ask general computer questions and get an intelligent answer, and fairly quickly as well. A lot of you guys really know your computer shit. Neoseeker has something like it, but they've got so many different forums, that many of them go unnoticed for weeks or even years at a time. And I'm not registered anywhere else that pays host to any sort of computer nerd. So Anski, I know you really want to hassle me for making another thread in here. Just let it out fast, will ya?

The rest of you, I have an inquiry that perhaps you can help me with.

You see, I need to enlarge an image without it losing resolution. Is this physically possible? I'm talking like, a freakin' 216 x 650 into a 1080 x 3250. In fact, I'd prefer to make it even larger than that. Is it possible to do this without pixelation? If so, what software would I need? Can it be done?

Hey... my name's... Sashikinaroji...
Rep:
Level 83
fear me...
it can be done in photoshop, I know, but it will be blurry...

What happens is that photoshop blends it so that it looks smooth, but, it's kinda like looking at the background of a pic, it just isn't a clear as it should be...

If you need, I'll give it a shot, perhaps I might be able to make it a bit clearer too, but I'm not promising anything.
Ok, DON'T EXPECT HELP FROM ME~! I will perhaps rant a bit, but don't expect me to do graphics for you, even if I say I will... I won't.

Rep:
Level 98
2010 Best Veteran2014 King of RMRK2014 Favorite Staff Member2014 Best Counsel2014 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2014 Best Writer2014 Most Mature Member2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.Secret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Best Writer2011 Best Counsel2010 Best IRC Chatterbox2010 Best Writer
FUCK YOU FOR MAKING THREADS THIS ISN'T A FOURM IT'S A JAIL

But no, there's nothing that can be done, honestly. It's unfortunate but theoretically impossible with current technology.
you awoke in a burning paperhouse
from the infinite fields of dreamless sleep

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2014 Best Non-RM Creator2013 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)Participant - GIAW 112012 Most Successful Troll2012 Funniest Member2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Best IRC ChatterboxSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Best IRC Chatterbox2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Most Successful Troll
It's physically impossible to resize an image 5x without it looking pixelated or blurry. A program can't just create information when resizing an image and make it look like a photo that didn't undergo enlargement. The best it can do is add interpolation, which basically just makes it look blurry and awful.

Original:

5x cropped with bicubic interpolation:
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 04:42:37 AM by Irock »

Rep:
Level 83
fear me...
I was basically going to draw in fixes... so that way it would nice, but not really... perfect or nothing...
Ok, DON'T EXPECT HELP FROM ME~! I will perhaps rant a bit, but don't expect me to do graphics for you, even if I say I will... I won't.

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2014 Best Non-RM Creator2013 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)Participant - GIAW 112012 Most Successful Troll2012 Funniest Member2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Best IRC ChatterboxSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Best IRC Chatterbox2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Most Successful Troll
You're going to draw in fixes on something resized five times the original size or greater? Good luck with that.

Rep:
Level 83
fear me...
It sounded smarter in my head...

yeah, I really shouldn't be allowed to answer questions...  :-X

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
You can use the eraser tool to fix mistakes. That's what an eraser is for!

Rep:
Level 88
Unoriginal text here.
Too bad. Well, if it can't be done than it can't be done. It wasn't anything vital anyway, but thanks a bunch for teaching me this painful reality.

You zetta sons of digits.
Rep:
Level 91
SMEEEEE HEEEEEE
Nope only happens in TV and movies. Especially the resolution your talking about

Spoiler for:

( ´ิ(ꈊ) ´ิ) ((≡^⚲͜^≡)) (ી(΄◞ิ౪◟ิ‵)ʃ)
Rep:
Level 102
(っ˘ڡ˘ς) ʕ•̼͛͡•ʕ-̺͛͡•ʔ•̮͛͡•ʔ (*ꆤ.̫ꆤ*)
2014 Avast Ye Merry Pirate!2013 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award2012 Avast Ye Merry Pirate AwardFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Avast Ye Merry Pirate2011 Most Unsung Member2010 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award
If the image is very simple, it's possible to do it by going the vector route, but it's very time consuming.
bringing sexy back

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
That's pretty cool.

Rep:
Level 96
2010 Most Attractive Male Member2010 Best Musician

:tinysmile::tinysmile:

Rep:
Level 88
Unoriginal text here.
Would you consider an anime chick lying on her back a "simple" image? I'm uncertain.

Rep:
Level 83
fear me...
well, we can never know unless we try, ammirite?

Just post it up, and I'll see if I can pull anything off... Although, no guarantees.

Resident Cloud
Rep:
Level 91
Read a bit more into rophs link, found a cool example on this page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raster_to_vector

Try inkscape, i use it for drawing anyway, its cool

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for December 2009Project of the Month winner for August 20082011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
Would you consider an anime chick lying on her back a "simple" image? I'm uncertain.

Depends on the level of shading, lines, textures, etc..
Vectors will -always- have simpler results than raster images because of the design process.

Basically, if there's hard-cel shading and not tons of textures/small lines, you're likely to get a good result just having illustrator trace it for you, else, it'll either lose quality (if there's soft shading or textures) or just come out muddy (if there's too many lines).

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

Rep:
Level 84
Is a New Zealander

I never knew Inkscape had that tool, that quality is quite amazing too. Very cool, wonder if I still got it installed...
I'm much too lazy to put an actual signature here.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for December 2009Project of the Month winner for August 20082011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween

I never knew Inkscape had that tool, that quality is quite amazing too. Very cool, wonder if I still got it installed...

Actually, clicking the image, it's a pretty crappy.
Jagged edges everywhere, messed up from the film grain, it'd be better off if someone manually did it and worked with gradients.

It wouldn't look hyper-realistic, but it'd be cleaner.
Maybe it's just me.

Compared to the others though, yeah, it's pretty HQ.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 02:17:50 AM by NAMKCOR »

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

Resident Cloud
Rep:
Level 91
yeah just actually zoomed in on that,

If its a drawing, which im guessing it is, it should work better.

Rep:
Level 83
fear me...
HMPH! I KNEW IT WAS POSSIBLE!

All you people are such downers (that is, those who posted before Roph)! ; P

Anyways... I'm actually kinda interested in seeing the pic that AF was talkin about.

Rep:
Level 88
Unoriginal text here.
Chihaya Images

And here's one that has both at the same time in it, without the damn HobbySearch logo:

Rep:
Level 98
2010 Best Veteran2014 King of RMRK2014 Favorite Staff Member2014 Best Counsel2014 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2014 Best Writer2014 Most Mature Member2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.Secret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Best Writer2011 Best Counsel2010 Best IRC Chatterbox2010 Best Writer
403 Forbidden

Rep:
Level 98
Stop using Imageshack, it's a pile of shit. bb.xieke.com or tinypic.com forever

Rep:
Level 83
fear me...
ooooooh~ Riske~!

Well, I don't see any hurt in giving it a shot... I'll be back in a day or two, unless you want me to wait for the non-hobbysearch one...