RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
What I have come to believe about time

herp derp
Rep:
Level 81
Newclear Bomb
I don't know that many fancy words so don't attack me with them  :D
Time Travel is impossible, because the past and future do not exist
In this Universe, only the present exists. The Past and Future are the present in Parallel Universes. Every second that passes creates another Parallel Universe where that second is stretched out to become a couple millennium. The Future, what will be our Future, exists in a different Parallel Universe where out Future is there Present.. Therefore, every second that has passed is erased from our Universe and no longer exists, and the Future doesn't exist either, because we are always in the Present. In these Parallel Universes, the same rules apply, so more Parallel Universes are constantly created. So with this logic, you can assume there are many googols of Parallel Universes. These Parallel Universes cannot crossover which means no one can leave there own Universe. Time Travel is impossible. The only way to truly "Time Travel" is to travel between Universes which is impossible.
This is whats called an unfalsifiable hypothesis. I can't prove to you that am right, but you can't prove to me that I'm wrong, K?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 09:39:33 PM by DylanMachinima »

Hey... my name's... Sashikinaroji...
Rep:
Level 83
fear me...
what is the present, but a way of describing the moment in time we are in?

And for that matter, the same can be said of the past and future...

In reality, we cannot travel to the future, because wherever and whenever we are, it is "the present"... However, I believe it is possible to travel through time to what I like to call a "relative future".

What I mean by that is, yes, technically, it is the present, but it is further on the time-line than where you left off.

If you believe Hawking's Model of Time, which depicts time as a funnel shape that, when it reaches the bottom, precedes to rise up again, continuing the spiral and repeating over and over again, yet never crossing, you will note that at some instances, time periods are extremely close to each other.

I believe that due to this proximity, latent energy is passed along between time, allowing physical manifestations of past figures (believed to be ghosts) and future figures (believed to be aliens) to interact with present figures (us).

And, if that is true, we can conjecture that, if we find a way to transfer our energy over that link in time, we can, in fact, transfer our own physical beings into another time period.

[my rebuttal, sir!]
Ok, DON'T EXPECT HELP FROM ME~! I will perhaps rant a bit, but don't expect me to do graphics for you, even if I say I will... I won't.

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
I thought this would be about Time magazine.

herp derp
Rep:
Level 81
Newclear Bomb
@Sashwhatever
Interesting. However I don't study any real complicated scientific bs, and I'm not really that smart, so I have no idea what Hawkins model of time is. Anyway, If this is true, and physical manifestations of past and future do pass over to our realm, there parallel universes would intertwine with ours, and thus, to be simple, cause the complete destruction of all the Universes as the time will be a mixture of there universes present which is our past, and the other universes present which is our future. Thus time will no longer exist in one form. We would be existing in 3 different presents at once which would, to be simple again, not work
@mastermoo
Better un-capitalize  the T as that could be a common misconception

Rep:
Level 83
fear me...
I just dabble in theoretical quantum physics (I got dragged into it by my stoner friend, Dustin...)

What you just read was the entirety of my thoughts of theoretical quantum physics... Because I only really focused on the idea of time travel... And this was all compiled in the course of two or three weeks...
Ok, DON'T EXPECT HELP FROM ME~! I will perhaps rant a bit, but don't expect me to do graphics for you, even if I say I will... I won't.

Rep:
Level 75
RMRK Junior
time travel would be impossible in my opinion for many many reasons.
a) first off i don't believe time is a form of energy at all it, is a man made concept which is both true and false. even though time is real in a way in that it's a scale of progression in the universe (basically each consecutive moment that passes ... it is impossible for time to not exist in the sense that while ever there is a universe there is time, whether or not there are organisms alive that are aware of the progression of the universe and even their own life span) in theory if there was no time, everything would most likely be motionless due to no progression in the universe.

b) due to my belief that time isn't energy that also means it can't be harnessed, time has no physical effects, it gives out no energy nor takes it away. this means there would be no way to physically use time as a way to travel or as a conduit to travel through.

c) just like teleportation while travelling through time you would probably need to be in the form of energy/all atoms seperated. this also means you would have to assemble every atom back to it's original position. if this in itself were even possible, by recording an entire sequence of a person's atoms and sub-atomic particles, you could create in theory an identical person using the blueprints. this would be a scary world indeed it would bring about immortality (or at least a life reset button)

that's my own thoughts and theories anyway.

Rep:
Level 83
fear me...
time travel would be impossible in my opinion for many many reasons.
a) first off i don't believe time is a form of energy at all it, is a man made concept which is both true and false. even though time is real in a way in that it's a scale of progression in the universe (basically each consecutive moment that passes ... it is impossible for time to not exist in the sense that while ever there is a universe there is time, whether or not there are organisms alive that are aware of the progression of the universe and even their own life span) in theory if there was no time, everything would most likely be motionless due to no progression in the universe.

b) due to my belief that time isn't energy that also means it can't be harnessed, time has no physical effects, it gives out no energy nor takes it away. this means there would be no way to physically use time as a way to travel or as a conduit to travel through.

c) just like teleportation while travelling through time you would probably need to be in the form of energy/all atoms seperated. this also means you would have to assemble every atom back to it's original position. if this in itself were even possible, by recording an entire sequence of a person's atoms and sub-atomic particles, you could create in theory an identical person using the blueprints. this would be a scary world indeed it would bring about immortality (or at least a life reset button)

that's my own thoughts and theories anyway.

I think I love you. That was really thought out, and, assuming that energy cannot be transferred over time, you would be correct.

However, there is one part that I must address. You see, your comment that I believe that time is made of energy is incorrect.

I only stated that, assuming time runs in a funnel formation, it would come extremely close at certain parts, which could allow the transfer of energy to occur as if they were happening in the same plane.

So, we can transfer energy on our own time, where we throw objects or stand or release heat. Now, if we can simply move all these transitions of energy to another part of the timeline over these short expanses, we would be able to travel.

It is a stretch, but that's the fun, isn't it?

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for December 2009Project of the Month winner for August 20082011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
Time is an abstract human construct created by our perception of the world, and labeled/metered to explain the sequential order of events in our lives.

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

Rep:
Level 83
fear me...
That doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

In fact, that more proves my point than anything. If it can be metered and labeled, it must exist, in some form or another, and it may be possible to interact with it, much like we can subtract 1 from 2, or cut a board in half, or travel at extremely high speeds.

And again, this is simply theoretical quantum physics; that is, it is based on theories, which often, in turn, are based on theories. It isn't flawless, in fact, it is intrinsically flawed, but it is something interesting and speculative.

You zetta sons of digits.
Rep:
Level 91
SMEEEEE HEEEEEE
A 2D creature could not act within a 3D environment, as it would not be able to persevere it

Would that not be true that a 3D creature could not persevere a 4D environment, and then can not act upon it?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Q_GQqUg6Ts" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Q_GQqUg6Ts</a>

Rep:
Level 83
fear me...
A 2D creature could not act within a 3D environment, as it would not be able to persevere it

Would that not be true that a 3D creature could not persevere a 4D environment, and then can not act upon it?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Q_GQqUg6Ts" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Q_GQqUg6Ts</a>

and, ya know what? I watched that movie a few months ago too, and I still think I can travel through time...

But, then again, that is merely theory and conjecture... Just like all theories on the true nature of time.

hrm... If I remember correctly, that movie claims that each dimension cannot even perceive the next dimension, but we can perceive time, yes? Meaning that our world might exist in 4 dimensions, and the third dimension would be exactly like ours, but completely static, due to no time passing.

EDIT: Just rewatched the video, and it seems that it is pro-time travel... Assuming that we can make a fold in the 5th dimension (or was that the fourth?)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 03:59:46 AM by Sashikinaroji »

Rep:
Level 91
SMEEEEE HEEEEEE
I'm not saying it is impossible, but how would you cause the fold when you can not persevere it?

Rep:
Level 85
I solve practical problems.
For taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
You wouldn't attempt to preserve it, chances are it would be one way.

besides, the future is something so incredibly vast and diverse, with infinite possibilities based on the choices every person makes, each of those choices theoretically influences the future, meaning if we could travel to the future, which would we go to, and would it be the correct one? There should be so many of them, that there is absolutely no way that one would know. The same applies to traveling back in time, any changes made there would in turn effect the time that the time traveler came from. Then how would we get back, since the very act of going to the past has changed the future so much so, that returning to the future one left from would be impossible.

In any case, I think that past present and future are all linked, since what you do in the past influences the present, and what you do in the present influences the future.

Rep:
Level 75
RMRK Junior
You wouldn't attempt to preserve it, chances are it would be one way.

besides, the future is something so incredibly vast and diverse, with infinite possibilities based on the choices every person makes, each of those choices theoretically influences the future, meaning if we could travel to the future, which would we go to, and would it be the correct one? There should be so many of them, that there is absolutely no way that one would know. The same applies to traveling back in time, any changes made there would in turn effect the time that the time traveler came from. Then how would we get back, since the very act of going to the past has changed the future so much so, that returning to the future one left from would be impossible.

In any case, I think that past present and future are all linked, since what you do in the past influences the present, and what you do in the present influences the future.

i myself disagree with the theories of alternate dimensions based on choices made. it cannot be proven nor disproven at this time however, i feel choices are insignificant, whatever choices you make is the choice u'd always make, whether you try to act differently just to change things or not... you can't go back to change choices therefore a bad choice couldn't possibly be foreseen (if you know it's a bad choice you don't take it... unless you have a reason.)

with this in mind why in an "alternate dimension" would someone suddenly go... instead of choice A i'll pick choice B. there would be no real logic behind the theory that someone would pick a different choice without influence from a future which in turn becomes an alternate future due to the change... now this is the fun part :D

the paradox. well obviously the alternate future couldn't exist due to you changing the course for the better, therefore no-one would be there to go back and talk to you to change your choice, making it so the original future real again in which you didn't make the right choice. and so ... the cycle begins.

Rep:
Level 85
I solve practical problems.
For taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
Yes : )

Precisely

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for December 2009Project of the Month winner for August 20082011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween

In fact, that more proves my point than anything. If it can be metered and labeled, it must exist, in some form or another, and it may be possible to interact with it, much like we can subtract 1 from 2, or cut a board in half, or travel at extremely high speeds.

And again, this is simply theoretical quantum physics; that is, it is based on theories, which often, in turn, are based on theories. It isn't flawless, in fact, it is intrinsically flawed, but it is something interesting and speculative.

I see funny stars in front of my eyes and they're about an inch long, I can measure them, they must be real!

Also, Link, persevere != perceive

Rep:
Level 91
SMEEEEE HEEEEEE

Rep:
Level 75
RMRK Junior
Also, Link, persevere != perceive

._. Yeah i just noticed

"shame mode" :p

joking ^^ ... you should get the reference ^^

Rep:
Level 83
fear me...

I see funny stars in front of my eyes and they're about an inch long, I can measure them, they must be real!

True, it is light and/or particles floating in your eyes (or, you're batshit crazy) which means that they are real.

I suppose that, if a fourth dimensional being were to make the fold for us, we would be able to travel in four dimensions as a flatlander would move through 3 dimensions...

as a side note, I believe in only 1 past and 1 future.

That is, no matter what you do, you were meant to do it. I mean, I think Kawagiri explained it better than i ever could...

And, just because it always comes up eventually (at least, it does where I live), if you are going to ask "well, how come no one has come back from the future yet?"

The answer is simple.

What would YOU do if someone came up to you out of the blue claiming he was from the future, where robots ruled the earth? Call the cops? Me too.

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Best Non-RM Creator2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)2013 Best IRC ChatterboxParticipant - GIAW 112012 Most Successful Troll2012 Funniest Member2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Best IRC ChatterboxSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Most Successful Troll2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Best IRC Chatterbox

hrm... If I remember correctly, that movie claims that each dimension cannot even perceive the next dimension, but we can perceive time, yes? Meaning that our world might exist in 4 dimensions, and the third dimension would be exactly like ours, but completely static, due to no time passing.
I'm not an expert on this, but you can perceive higher dimensions and have them shape your world, just like how if you put an ant on duct tape and twisted it around and connected it, like in the video, he could perceive that the third dimension exists and allows him to move across the tape in a loop, but he can't fully see or understand the third dimension, because he's viewing it from a 2nd dimensional perspective. That's possibly the same for us.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
True, it is light and/or particles floating in your eyes (or, you're batshit crazy) which means that they are real.

If I'm batshit crazy, that means they aren't real.
Measurement of something that only exists in perception doesn't make it real.

In fact if anything the idea that time is an integral part of the universe is probably what keeps time travel from being possible.  Or rather, the fact that we perceive it as such.

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Best Non-RM Creator2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)2013 Best IRC ChatterboxParticipant - GIAW 112012 Most Successful Troll2012 Funniest Member2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Best IRC ChatterboxSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Most Successful Troll2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Best IRC Chatterbox
How do you explain time dilation?

Rep:
Level 83
fear me...

If I'm batshit crazy, that means they aren't real.
Measurement of something that only exists in perception doesn't make it real.

But, if you are seeing it, it is real, in some aspect. Of course, it isn't a real star, but, rather, a visual representation of your psychosis. Anything that we can perceive and quantize exists or else we would either not be able to see, hear, feel, taste, or smell it; or not be able to quantize it. Possibly both.

Rep:
Level 96
2011 Most Missed Member2010 Zero To Hero
I get what he's saying. Example: My imaginary friend snuffalupagus is not real. However, I percieve him in my mind's eye. I speak and play with him, and generally get along well with him. Snuffalupagus is not real, BUT. The thought that generated his existence within my brain is. But I do not refer to the thought on this level as I lack the understanding of such things. Hence, I speak to snuffalupagus, and I am actually speaking/referring to the CONCEPT of snuffalupagus.

Now apply this to time. We believe in time, measure it, quantize it. Time may not actually exist. But that which we refer to, using the CONCEPT of time, may very well exist.

Rep:
Level 96
2011 Most Missed Member2010 Zero To Hero