RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
How Long Is A Good Game?

Poll

Would people enjoy a 6 hour game or two 3 hour games?

A 6 hour game
16 (66.7%)
Two 3 hour games
8 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Rep:
Level 81
RMRK Master
Ok, here's one more question for you guys to answer!

I could make this game a very long game, with lets say 2 "parts" of the story in one game. Or, I could make 2 separate games with a continuous story.

So what I'm asking is, would people enjoy a 6 hour game or two 3 hour games?
..........|¯•¸_¸,.•”ˆ¯....Thundercow....¯ˆ“•.,¸_¸•¯|..........
¯•_¹ˆ¯•ˆ¯¯±¸_Thunderclan WÅrrÏØr_¸±¯¯ˆ•¯ˆ²_•¯

Epequest
Game-25% complete
Demo-99% complete

Rep:
Level 75
People would enjoy the game regardless. The clever ones at least, there will always be someone who'd dislike it solely because it's short.
Since you could divide it in two parts, I suppose the plot unfolds in two separate acts. In this case, I'd suggest to release the first part, see what people liked/disliked about it, and finetuning the second part based on gamers reactions.

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
You know, I think its all gonna be okay.
For going the distance for a balanced breakfast.Project of the Month winner for June 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2013 Best WriterSilver Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 Participant
Yes, but keep in mind that each installment needs to be its own buttoned-up story. In other words, if I play 2 without playing 1, I want to know that there is a background, but still know enough of the characters and setting to enjoy the sequel. If you do it right, you'll have me wanting the original.
:tinysmile:

Rep:
Level 82
We learn by living...
(eye candy + maps) * sqrt(Enemies+NPCs) * (options + party members)

Basically, more maps and pretty scenes, directly increases play time. Options, like customization and having a lot of different choices in actors also increases play time. Less important are the number of enemies and Non Player characters. Even the best movie gets broken up into 3 hour blocks because there's no interaction.

Rep:
Level 81
RMRK Master
If you want to see the main idea of the story, press this link. -> http://randominkgames.webs.com/apps/wiki/epequest-journey-to-sisseneg

Epequest
Game-25% complete
Demo-99% complete

Rep:
Level 85
Winter is here.
To paraphrase my English professor, a good game is like a skirt: needs to be long enough to cover everything and short enough to hold my attention.
Eddard Stark art by Teiiku

Rep:
Level 84
Will you join me in the dark side...?
My Puzzle/StandAlone game in a week:

Rep:
Level 81
RMRK Master
*depends*

OK, what are you saying by that?

Epequest
Game-25% complete
Demo-99% complete

Rep:
Level 84
Will you join me in the dark side...?
well, basically it has been said already.

Short enough to keep me entertained, but long enough to keep me satisfied. :) I guess it all depends on the game itself, after all.

As stated before as long as needed to keep it interesting/satisfying.
My Puzzle/StandAlone game in a week:

Rep: +0/-0Level 74
RMRK Junior
Long enough to be complete, short enough to not overstay their welcome.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 09:56:28 PM by modern algebra »

Small Bat Dev
Rep:
Level 76
2012 Best Artistf*ck u >:(2011 Best Artist2010 Best NewbieParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 92011 Most Attractive Female MemberBronze - Game In A Week VII
I think that things to take in account are:

1. Have you told the story?
2. Is it well paced?
3. Is it fun?

Those should be the deciding factors in how long your game is.

I'm a liar.
Rep:
Level 73
I am the Epic awesome; I am the Awesom epic
If there is never a dull moment, the game can be 100 hours and people will still enjoy it. The only time gamers complain about the length of games is when it has dull and boring moments in it such as battles.
I, for one, am very tired of battles in RPGs and plan on making a game in which the player battles certain monsters/characters once. Except for Gilgamesh, of course. ^^
Is it illegal to kill a man because it's a sin, or because war weren't declared?

And is this how you would treat an "idiot", dear sir, or is it just how you troll?

Rep:
Level 76
Praise the Sun (Arcana)
GIAW 14: 1st Place (Hard Mode)
I like a long game, at least 15 hours I'd say, and if not that long, it's fine if it's nonlinear so I can make it's length fit my needs heheh ;)

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2014 Best Non-RM Creator2014 Biggest Forum Potato2013 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)Participant - GIAW 112012 Most Successful Troll2012 Funniest Member2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Best IRC ChatterboxSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Most Successful Troll2010 Best IRC Chatterbox2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." - Abraham Lincoln

Rep:
Level 81
RMRK Junior
I like a long game, at least 15 hours I'd say, and if not that long, it's fine if it's nonlinear so I can make it's length fit my needs heheh ;)

15 hours is very short...  I have not played many single-player games that are that long.  Most RPGs are between 30 and 50 hours long, with some of the longer ones reaching about 70-80 hours, maybe even 100+ if you do all the sidequests.  Less than 40 hours feels really short to me.

Rep:
Level 76
Praise the Sun (Arcana)
GIAW 14: 1st Place (Hard Mode)
15 hours is very short...  I have not played many single-player games that are that long.  Most RPGs are between 30 and 50 hours long, with some of the longer ones reaching about 70-80 hours, maybe even 100+ if you do all the sidequests.  Less than 40 hours feels really short to me.
[/quote]

I know that's short, which is why I said at least. I just played through Dragon Warrior 7 on and off, the game took me 125 hours to complete, I don't plan on restarting... But I play many lengthy games, I just stuck with 15 because it's fairly average for games (including games other than RPG).

Rep:
Level 75
I think "short" and "long" are relative to RpgMaker games standards not to RPGs in general.
15 hours is longer than most RM games I've played so far.

Small Bat Dev
Rep:
Level 76
2012 Best Artistf*ck u >:(2011 Best Artist2010 Best NewbieParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 92011 Most Attractive Female MemberBronze - Game In A Week VII
Theres no real ideal length. Hell, my mutter has been playing monster hunter tri for 80+ hours now. Its about telling the story, keeping the player interested. It's hard, but if you can't tell the story, the length means nowt.

Rep:
Level 81
RMRK Junior
I think "short" and "long" are relative to RpgMaker games standards not to RPGs in general.

Pretty sure that's just because people quit making RPG Maker games before they get anywhere, end them because they realize the game isn't fun enough to keep playing any longer, or are extremely incompetent and don't have more than a few hours worth of ideas, or get sick of game design because they aren't really serious about it.  Not because they think it actually improves the game.  I've never talked to anyone who thought that if a game is fun it should end after only a few hours, and I have a hard time imagining such a person.  Anything can potentially get old after enough time, but 20-30 hours is definitely not enough time for any decent video game to get old.  (Though it's definitely more than enough time for the player to realize the game is bad.)

In any case, I don't hold RPG Maker games to any different standards than other games.  Games are games, whether they're made by big companies or indie developers.  If one game is better than another, then I'm going to like it more, regardless of which one of the two was made by Squaresoft and which one was made by a couple guys in their basement.  I've played lots of indie games that are as good as the top 10% of commercial games and I've played lots of indie games that are as bad as the bottom 10% of commercial games.

Rep:
Level 82
Depends of the type of the game. In my opinion: A good and serious game should be around over 10 hours to 30 hours. That's a fitting length for a game. Maybe 12 hours. If the player likes the game it's playing, then they don't want the game to end for like 4 hours. Most people want a game to be longer then 3 or 6 hours, basicly because of it is a good or a bad game.
But short games can be good to, but I don't seriously understand how you can fit in a really nice game in 3 or 6 hours. It must be LONGER then that.

My game CO3 have been made like 30% of. And it's more then 3 hours long atleast. I plan the game to be around 20 hours maybe. That's a long game. And you may wonder why it is so long? Well, this game contains shitloads of Awesomness!

Rep:
Level 82

Pretty sure that's just because people quit making RPG Maker games before they get anywhere, end them because they realize the game isn't fun enough to keep playing any longer, or are extremely incompetent and don't have more than a few hours worth of ideas, or get sick of game design because they aren't really serious about it.  Not because they think it actually improves the game.  I've never talked to anyone who thought that if a game is fun it should end after only a few hours, and I have a hard time imagining such a person.  Anything can potentially get old after enough time, but 20-30 hours is definitely not enough time for any decent video game to get old.  (Though it's definitely more than enough time for the player to realize the game is bad.)

In any case, I don't hold RPG Maker games to any different standards than other games.  Games are games, whether they're made by big companies or indie developers.  If one game is better than another, then I'm going to like it more, regardless of which one of the two was made by Squaresoft and which one was made by a couple guys in their basement.  I've played lots of indie games that are as good as the top 10% of commercial games and I've played lots of indie games that are as bad as the bottom 10% of commercial games.

Totally aggree with you. I make my game solo and my other friends on youtube that has made games. There's this guy who's made 4 AWESOME games. He's done it on his own to and he's about to release his 5th and final game by 2 or less weeks. I can't wait for the game!

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
2013 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)Randomizer - GIAW 11Gold - GIAW 11 (Hard)Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantGold - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for September 2008For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2011 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2011 Best Veteran2011 Kindest Member2010 Best RPG Maker User (Technical)2010 Best RPG Maker User (Story)
God, why is this thread still going?

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Project of the Month winner for June 2009