RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
How Long Is A Good Game?

Poll

Would people enjoy a 6 hour game or two 3 hour games?

A 6 hour game
16 (66.7%)
Two 3 hour games
8 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Rep:
Level 81
RMRK Master
I simply want anybody who is reading this' opinion on how long a good game should be. I am making the first game of a series (but that shouldn't matter in your answer please).  There is also a poll for you to answer!

Thanks!
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 01:58:35 AM by moobob9 »
..........|¯•¸_¸,.•”ˆ¯....Thundercow....¯ˆ“•.,¸_¸•¯|..........
¯•_¹ˆ¯•ˆ¯¯±¸_Thunderclan WÅrrÏØr_¸±¯¯ˆ•¯ˆ²_•¯

Epequest
Game-25% complete
Demo-99% complete

Rep:
Level 76
<3 XP
Well, I've played a game that only took 2 hours to complete. Yet I've played a game that literally took a whole day to complete. I guess it all depends on how long you feel like making it.  :lol:

Completion: ██████████40%
Demo: ██████████70%

Rep:
Level 85
Real Men Make Fan Games
Project of the Month winner for May 2009
As long as it needs to be.

Rep:
Level 84
Is a New Zealander
A good game is just long enough.

You can't apply a specific time frame to any game. An online game for instance, will have hundreds of hours of gameplay. A single player FPS may have a 5-6 hour story, or maybe a 10 hour story, whilst an RPG may have a 40 hour story. Yet all three of those games could be good.

It all depends on how much content you've got. As long as your game never gets too boring, or takes too long and costs too much to develop, you're sweet.
I'm much too lazy to put an actual signature here.

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
A real game should be as long as it needs to. An RM game should be less than five minutes.

( ´ิ(ꈊ) ´ิ) ((≡^⚲͜^≡)) (ી(΄◞ิ౪◟ิ‵)ʃ)
Rep:
Level 102
(っ˘ڡ˘ς) ʕ•̼͛͡•ʕ-̺͛͡•ʔ•̮͛͡•ʔ (*ꆤ.̫ꆤ*)
2014 Avast Ye Merry Pirate!2013 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award2012 Avast Ye Merry Pirate AwardFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Avast Ye Merry Pirate2011 Most Unsung Member2010 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award
As long as it needs to be.

This. It all depends on how interesting you can make it  :)
bringing sexy back

Rep:
Level 81
RMRK Master
Well, since I'm making a series of games, time is EXTREMELY flexible. If I wanted to, I could end the game in the next 20 minutes of it, (which I don't really want to do =)) or I could end the game in the next 2 hours of it. I'm just asking how long an enjoyable RPG Maker game is.

P.S. Nice signature Roph =)

Epequest
Game-25% complete
Demo-99% complete

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
2013 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)Gold - GIAW 11 (Hard)Randomizer - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantGold - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for September 2008For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2011 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2011 Best Veteran2011 Kindest Member2010 Most Deserving Of A Promotion2010 Best RPG Maker User (Technical)
Why even worry about how long your game is time-wise? It should be as long as it needs to be, as Madriel said. With a typical RPG, you are telling a story, so have your game be as long as you need it to be to tell that story and have it feel right to you. If it feels like the story is moving along too fast to you, then you can slow it down with some diversions and additions to drag out the time frame a little longer. If it feels too long and slow to you between two sections of the story, cut down a bit on the distance and such. Make it as long as it needs to be to feel like a good game.

Rep:
Level 81
RMRK Master
I'll have to except that answer as a good one. Thanks for it! =)

Epequest
Game-25% complete
Demo-99% complete

Rep:
Level 84
Will you join me in the dark side...?
3-4 hours...less i think it would be too fast... Longer...Would start to annoy...
My Puzzle/StandAlone game in a week:

Rep: +0/-0Level 75
RMRK Junior
I'd say a good game is long enough to leave the player satisfied.  If the game feels like it could have had more to add, or they're desperately (yet reasonably) wishing that it would be longer, then it probably should be longer.  Or just add some decent replay value to it, or make it fun enough or with a powerful enough story that people will want to play it again.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for August 2008Project of the Month winner for December 20092011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
Long enough to be complete, short enough to not overstay their welcome.

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

pokeball JAPOfflineFemale
I used to know nothing
Rep:
Level 89
Short enough to keep me entertained, but long enough to keep me satisfied. :) I guess it all depends on the game itself, after all.

Rep:
Level 87
"Dear diary, jack pot"
As stated before as long as needed to keep it interesting/satisfying.
Deceased, the memories of time flow ever lasting. Let the passion of the living and the dead touch you, and give you their wisdom.

I'd sooner die than leave your side, I'd sooner rust than let you die.

Rep:
Level 81
RMRK Master
Well, what I am aiming this thread for is to have other people's opinions on how long a game should be without boring the players. Everyone can continue to answer, and please do!

Epequest
Game-25% complete
Demo-99% complete

Rep:
Level 84
Will you join me in the dark side...?
well, basically it has been said already.

Short enough to keep me entertained, but long enough to keep me satisfied. :) I guess it all depends on the game itself, after all.

As stated before as long as needed to keep it interesting/satisfying.
My Puzzle/StandAlone game in a week:

pokeball JAPOfflineFemale
I used to know nothing
Rep:
Level 89
Well, this is a very difficult poll.

It all depends on the game itself, after all.

For example, I wouldn't play Final Fantasy for more than 70+ hours. I know it is an awesome game but it doesn't have much except the gameplay and story itself to keep us playing.
On the other hand, Star Ocean Till The End of Time managed to get me playing it for more than 100+ hours, since this game has everything to keep me entertained and satisfied. It has rich gameplay, wonderful storyline, awesome music, and tons of quests to keep us playing and playing and playing again. Not to mention that it has the Universe Level, which is very challenging.

It's just an example. My point is, a game can never be too long if it is entertaining & satisfying enough.

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
Things change when you get older. I don't have time to play 100+ hour games anymore, so I appreciate shorter games a lot more.

Rep:
Level 81
RMRK Master
Umm, please don't tell me you want me to make a 100+ hour game using rpg maker!!!! lol

Epequest
Game-25% complete
Demo-99% complete

Rep:
Level 82
If you're making games as a series that are continuous, then you can make each game have about a 1-2 hour length (excepting any extra/side stuff). Even if you spread out the series over several parts, the parts themselves are short enough for casual players to pick up and go with. The only real important thing is making each game in the series interesting enough to keep players following.

As most replies have said: a good games needs to be as long as it needs to be. If you can have the main story introduced, played out and wrapped up in 3 hours, then the games needs to be 3 hours. Anything outside of the main can be added as extra for the more serious gamer to pursue. To these gamers, time is often irrelevant anyway; they just want to get/see everything there is to see (and sometimes more).

Maybe some better advice is: don't worry about the time. Focus on the game and making it engaging and interesting, and to sum up, a good game. I've played games that have had be engrossed enough to forget about how long I've actually been playing it because I wanted to know how it unfolds. The issue with time becomes a problem when you realise that for the last 2 hours you've done nothing but run around in circles not getting anywhere.
(Why do I always feel like it's the end of the world and I'm the last man standing?)

Rep:
Level 81
it's time to poke
It really depends on the kind of game. An RPG with an engaging storyline and the right features could be of indeterminate length... too many features and your game's novelty will face the danger wearing out before you get a chance to properly use them all.

A good RPG game with gradually introduced, thoughtful features will probably be 15 hours+ (like Legionwood, one of the only RM games I actually like playing.)

Not a guideline, just an observation.

Rep:
Level 82
A good game is beatable.

Rep:
Level 75
Null-voted.
As long as it takes to unfold and explain every plot point.

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
You know, I think its all gonna be okay.
For going the distance for a balanced breakfast.Project of the Month winner for June 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2013 Best WriterSilver Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 Participant
Just tell the story, dude.
:tinysmile:

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
2013 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)Gold - GIAW 11 (Hard)Randomizer - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantGold - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for September 2008For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2011 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2011 Best Veteran2011 Kindest Member2010 Most Deserving Of A Promotion2010 Best RPG Maker User (Technical)
Why is everyone dragging this thread on after it was needlessly bumped by an obvious spammer?

Edit: Spam removed.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 07:50:26 PM by Fox McCloud »