RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
What software do you guys use for art for your games?

Rep: +0/-0Level 76
BBCode FTW!
I realy want to make an awesome HUD. Unfortunately I know Lua but not Ruby so I'll be using the HUD on a different type of game making software.

I am willing to put a while into it but people create awesome ones, they can't just spend hours and hours on paint.net or something, is there some proper software for this?

Dream: >Demo: V-1.1< >Game: 8%<
MY BIG SECRET:
Spoiler for:
I can toast people..

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
2013 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)Gold - GIAW 11 (Hard)Randomizer - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)2012 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantGold - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for September 2008For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2011 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2011 Kindest Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Best RPG Maker User (Events)2010 Best RPG Maker User (Story)
There's no "ART FOR DUMMIES!" software to make everything go super easy for you, but different digital artists use all sorts of different programs as their mediums. I personally use GIMP for most of my graphical needs, while one of my friends uses Photoshop. I think Garygill uses something like Open Canvas, while some of my favorite artists use Paint Tool SAI. And then there's the good old pen and paper, which is done and scanned in and then digitally colored in any sort of image editor.

Rep:
Level 84
This text is way too personal.
Bronze - GIAW 11 (Hard)Silver - GIAW Halloween
Draw on Paper. Ink on Photoshop. Colour on SAI.

This is because I have no tablet... And yes, people do slave for days on just one drawing. It takes a lot of time to get it exactly right.

Rep:
Level 89
slate furry thing
I use Photoshop or SAI. Scanning and optimising is usually done with Photoshop, interface-y things stay in Photoshop, but everything art-wise is all in SAI. It just functions better with my tablet's pressure sensitivity.

I've spent three days on a drawing before. It seriously pays off to put time and effort into something.

...sadly I usually procrastinate, and so a picture that took weeks... might not actually have been worked on for that whole time.

A nice HUD shouldn't have to take long. I could probably plan and make a mock-up in Photoshop over a few hours, which I would simply splice up into separate bits to use in my Ruby coding. Any face graphics might add to the time, but the HUD itself might not. Unless it's got lots of decorative bits, like vines twisting around it. (That'd be kinda neat actually.)

BBCode FTW!
I know it's not going to be super easy, and I will put effort into it, but my current software (Paint.net) just doesn't have the tools for the things I need. Sure, it's fine for glowing text and mmaking transparent PNG's, but I need stuff like shading contours ect.

Thanks, I'll take a look at the free trials of stuff and see if I can make something within the trial time.

Yes towards taylor I want like decorative stuff going around it, not too fancy, just to make it look nicer than a plain square with other squares inside it.

MY BIG SECRET:
Spoiler for:
I can toast people..

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2014 Best Non-RM Creator2014 Biggest Forum Potato2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)2013 Best IRC ChatterboxParticipant - GIAW 112012 Best IRC Chatterbox2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Funniest Member2012 Most Successful TrollSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Most Successful Troll2010 Best IRC Chatterbox
I use Photoshop for everything from pixel art to the user interface.

BBCode FTW!
Downloaded GIMP, extracted the .tar using winzip but it's still .tar and nothing is opening it.

Any solutions?

MY BIG SECRET:
Spoiler for:
I can toast people..

Rep:
Level 83
I do believe that .tar is used primarily in Linux so you might have downloaded the wrong file Nvm, I forgot you can use it in Microshaft's Windows
If you extracted the .tar, then you don't need the .tar. Go to where you extracted it, and thats what you should run
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 09:20:57 PM by redyugi »

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for August 2008Project of the Month winner for December 20092011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
I use Photoshop for everything from pixel art to the user interface.

same.

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

Rep:
Level 84
puking up frothing vitriolic sarcastic spittle

Paint all the way when it comes to spriting. Photoshop for everything else.

Hey... my name's... Sashikinaroji...
Rep:
Level 83
fear me...
The only thing I don't like about paint and photoshop and all that, is that there's no auto-save feature...

I use paint for everything spritey, and I my comp tends to crash, making me lose progress rather often, due to my lack of common sense when it comes to saving that progress.

But still, I can't help it, I have been using paint for sprites for 9 years...
Ok, DON'T EXPECT HELP FROM ME~! I will perhaps rant a bit, but don't expect me to do graphics for you, even if I say I will... I won't.

Only a Real Alliance will Conquer.
You should use a Combination of Paint,Photoshop,and Various Online and Downloadable Programs for Good Art related Needs.Or you could request things on other Forums just don't forget Credit.
You think you Know me,but I don't Even Know myself ;D

BBCode FTW!
Still can't get GIMP to work. it downloads so I use winzip to extract the .tar file to my desktop, but it just extracts a .tar file named soemthing like "gimp.tar[2]" with a peice of paper with the folded in corner as the icon. Any solutions?

MY BIG SECRET:
Spoiler for:
I can toast people..

Rep:
Level 85
I am the wood of my broom
2010 Project of the YearProject of the Month winner for January 2009Project of the Month winner for January 2010Project of the Month winner for April 2010
Paint Tool SAI and Photoshop CS4

What kind of HUD do you want? I can help ya out with the scripting part

BBCode FTW!
Valdred, I'm not making it in RM, I'm making it in other software which uses lua, and I'm realy advanced with lua so I can do the scripting, sorry =(.

MY BIG SECRET:
Spoiler for:
I can toast people..

Nothing to be sorry about. Well, use photoshop.

Rep:
Level 84
Will you join me in the dark side...?
paint/photoshop...
My Puzzle/StandAlone game in a week:

Rep:
Level 76
A local spriter.
MS Paint is for spriting, considering it's super easy to use and it has the Grid Feature. (Ctrl-G) But if you want to get really advanced use Fotoshawp.

I heard a joke once.
A man goes to the doctor and says he can't get over a great depression.
Doctor says, the Great Clown Poliauchi is in town, go see him and you'll feel better!
But Doctor! He says, I am Poliauchi. Funny huh?
Then everybody laughs and the curtains close.

Rep:
Level 76
<3 XP
I use a whole bunch of different programs. None too fancy but still..
MS Paint
Adobe Fireworks
Adobe Photoshop
Game Maker 8lite

I really only use GM8 for sprite resizing. I try and stick to MS Paint and Fireworks most because I'm most comfortable with them.

Completion: ██████████40%
Demo: ██████████70%

paint sucks because of the palette system.

Rep:
Level 76
<3 XP
I agree, the default pallete does suck but it is a very simple program to use imo.

Don't look for simplicity when searching for such a software. Search for quality, photoshop is the thing.

Rep:
Level 76
<3 XP
Only problem is I don't know much about Photoshop.. =/ So I tend to stay away from it. I only do a few things on it because that's all I know how to do :P

google "photoshop [insert your version here] tutorial [insert what you are trying to do here]"

for example: "Photoshop cs4 tutorial 3d text"